• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
carlo6529 said:
My whole argument is based on the fact that the system will be compatible with Wii.

What your saying can't be done without eliminating using the big screen tv altogether for exsisting Wii games. For example, how are you supposed to click on the touch screen in the right spot to shoot someone while still looking at the tv screen. Looking up then down constantly in that type of situation is not practical.

Unless the controller screen can detect a stylus hovering just above it so a cursor can be seen on the television, I don't see pointer controls being eliminated; and even then, thats new controls that wouldn't be compatible.

When you move your mouse to press [submit reply], are you looking at the mouse or at the (big) screen? I bet the controller could have the touchscreen turned off except for detecting stylist/touch/pointer controls and work perfectly well for everything you'd need. Except better because it would be quick and accurate and not shaky. So basically better in every way, except for getting to pretend you're holding an actual 5.58" rocket launcher, I guess.

abstract alien said:
It's not a damned bunny! Its a Boo!

AOhsA.jpg

....I'm mad now

*walks off*

Compromise: Maybe it's a Boo Bunny?

IchigoSharingan said:
So the controller can stream games....

video and audio right?

Wonder what else it'll stream.... Nintendo must have put a ton of R&D into the streaming tech. Wonder if the big surprise is buried in there.

Google TV partnership.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
PantherLotus said:
Well, the pointer thing is basically obsolete with touchscreen technology (save the wonky FPS implementations), I think. And maybe I'm wrong, but we've probably seen the peak of motion controls until we have a holodeck.
I would think that if Nintendo viewed a touchscreen as the pinnacle of motion controls, they would be using a multi-touch screen. It only makes sense if the tablets purpose was to emulate a pointer not replace it.

I love how people use FPS as some kind of litmus for controller design. Man, fuck FPS games. Can this controller help with Pokemon, yes/no?

DXB-KNIGHT said:
I hope there is at least the option for pointer controls since I can't stand going back to play FPS games with two analog sticks.

And what if it uses gyroscopes and you aim like in Face Raider (move around the controller to aim, move and shoot with the buttons / trigger)?

... I really hope there is a way to have pointer controls.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God damn those controllers are going to be pricey. I wonder if it will be more aggressive about Multiple Controller types. Maybe just bundle in Wii Remotes as an alternative Controller.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Always something weird Nintendo. Not going to comment too much until there's something concrete.

Tuesday night will be interesting.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JJConrad said:
I would think that if Nintendo viewed a touchscreen as the pinnacle of motion controls, they would be using a multi-touch screen. It only makes sense if the tablets purpose was to emulate a pointer not replace it.

But multi-touch controls are more expensive and aren't relevant to the discussion of pointers. Not sure how motion controls are related to this particular aside.

Anth0ny

I really hope the controller isn't shaped like the rectangular mockups. GC controller is the best controller ever made, I hope those earlier rumors of it being basically a GC controller with a screen turn out to be true.

Testicle

Banned
Jarmel said:
This sounds so implausible. Can anyone explain to me how a console could stream 3200x2000 pixels at once without the games looking like absolute garbage?

Four 800x500 screens would be 1600x1000 pixels.

EDarkness

PantherLotus said:
When you move your mouse to press [submit reply], are you looking at the mouse or at the (big) screen? I bet the controller could have the touchscreen turned off except for detecting stylist/touch/pointer controls and work perfectly well for everything you'd need. Except better because it would be quick and accurate and not shaky. So basically better in every way, except for getting to pretend you're holding an actual 5.58" rocket launcher, I guess.

After playing games on the iPad/iPhone/DS with a touch pad, I have to say that pointing with the remote is much better. I can see why some people may like it, but I'll take the remote any day of the week for shooting games.

I'm still thinking that they're gonna include the screen controller and a remote/nunchuck in the box. This way, everyone wins.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wolves Evolve said:
I love how people use FPS as some kind of litmus for controller design. Man, fuck FPS games. Can this controller help with Pokemon, yes/no?

This is an extremely good point, and one I should have considered earlier.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
EDarkness said:
After playing games on the iPad/iPhone/DS with a touch pad, I have to say that pointing with the remote is much better. I can see why some people may like it, but I'll take the remote any day of the week for shooting games.

I'm still thinking that they're gonna include the screen controller and a remote/nunchuck in the box. This way, everyone wins.

Why do you think Nintendo is going to include wiimotes and nunchucks in the box? At which point in their history does that resemble something they've previously done?

Instro

PantherLotus said:
1. The Wii is the only console that ignored 3rd parties? I think you're overlooking more or less the entire history of Nintendo, where Nintendo designed their consoles and the 3rd parties had to follow suit. Only after the PS1 were their feelings/thoughts ever considered, and even then only remotely.

2. I wonder how DQ was "locked up." Was it based on an agreement, a contract? Or off momentum? Off current sales at the time of the decision? Looking at ... basically every DQ ever made, I'm going with the latter.

3. Hey, I'm not saying they're not making a more-outsider-friendly console. I'm not saying that at all. But I AM saying that they're not designing anything with that purpose in mind as a first objective. I say this often, but maybe I'm so wrong I should be fired on the spot. Maybe the Wii was made to differentiate their brand and the Wii2 is made to get everyone else on board? That's possible, I guess, but designing yet another interface doesn't seem like the way to do that.

4. Nintendo, consulting with 3rd parties on hardware decisions? LMAO.

1. Im talking more recently, not 15-20 years ago when the game industry was clearly much different than it is today. IIRC, the Gamecube hardware was designed to be very developer friendly actually.

2. It seems to me that its beyond the issue of current hardware sales, Nintendo published DQ9 in NA and did significant marketing for the title. Clearly there was at least some sort of contract for that, which makes the franchise at least relatively locked into Nintendo hardware for the foreseeable future considering the numerous spin off titles on the DS and DQX coming to the Wii.

4. IIRC there were a few reports of this with regards to the 3DS. For example, Nintendo had input from Capcom on the design of the d-pad specifically for Street Fighter 3DS. Its not much, but its sounds like dev kits went out relatively early for the 3DS and were also sent out quite awhile ago for this console so there might be something there.

I dont necessarily disagree with you, but I certainly dont think its that much of a stretch to say they might have decided to be a bit more active with 3rd parties with the recent hardware designs. Its not something that particularly bothers me since I would buy the console for Nintendo games anyway, but its something to think about based on some of the rumors.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Is there any way to determine when those banners first appeared on the internet? That would help determine when dev kits were sent out.

TheHeretic said:
The Wiimote has a problem with turning in FPS, so the accuracy from a standing position is higher than dual sticks, lower than a mouse but actual movement always felt clumsy and slow. I don't really accept the proposition that it was a great setup for FPS, or even significantly better than dual sticks.

In any of the FPS that did pointer controls right (Conduit, MW: Reflex, Black Ops), you can adjust turning speed. In fact, you can customize pretty much anything, turning speed, dead zones, cursor sensitivity, etc etc etc.

Just take a look at this video to see how much you can adjust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjKyJwUH3w

Game-Biz

Hmmm.......Lets connect the dots, shall we?

There's image of a rabbit in the cup.

A rabbit is a symbol of Easter.

Easter is in April.

The first prototype Blu-ray player was released in April in Japan, 8 years ago.

Count the number of circles in the cup of coffee in that picture.

Yep. 8.

Blu-ray confirmed for Wii 2.

Someone update the OP.

lol

Joey Fox said:
Is there any way to determine when those banners first appeared on the internet? That would help determine when dev kits were sent out.

From Nintendo World Report:
Though not showing up on the front page of the site, the thumbnail image was added to the site on April 4, 2011, and the banner was uploaded ten days later, the same day that rumors of the Wii successor surfaced. WarioWorld.com is used by licensed Nintendo developers for game development support and ordering hardware, and the new images are analogous to ones for other Nintendo systems featured on the site.

EDarkness

PantherLotus said:
Why do you think Nintendo is going to include wiimotes and nunchucks in the box? At which point in their history does that resemble something they've previously done?

Because it wouldn't make any sense to take what they've done with the Wii and throw it out the window. Having both controllers in the box makes sure everyone gets to play how they like and it makes it easier to play Wii games without having to grab Wii controllers. On top of that, one of the rumors (from Edge I think) said the motions were better than Move. Which hints that a Wii style controller will be available.

I'm not looking at their history. History stated that they wouldn't release a Wii that would be so graphically inferior to the competition. They've never really done that, so I'm going with practical. Leaving split motion controllers to the curb wouldn't make any sense considering the success they've had with it.

Freezie KO said:
In any of the FPS that did pointer controls right (Conduit, MW: Reflex, Black Ops), you can adjust turning speed. In fact, you can customize pretty much anything, turning speed, dead zones, cursor sensitivity, etc etc etc.

Just take a look at this video to see how much you can adjust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjKyJwUH3w

Yes, but in the Conduit where I experimented with this the controls never felt satisfying, the default setup felt about as good at is was going to get. My problem is the act of turning with a pointer in the way the Wii Mote is simply a mediocre way to control an FPS, and makes twitch shooters extremely difficult to play.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheHeretic said:
Yes, but in the Conduit where I experimented with this the controls never felt satisfying, the default setup felt about as good at is was going to get. My problem is the act of turning with a pointer in the way the Wii Mote is simply a mediocre way to control an FPS, and makes twitch shooters extremely difficult to play.

I could never get The Conduit to feel right due to the strange feel to the controllers. Otherwise, stuff like MW: Reflex prove that high speed twitch controls work beautifully with a pointer. Red Steel 2 works pretty damn great as well.

It's funny. Even playing some of the best console third person shooters of this generation, like Vanquish, I still cant shake how terrible dual analogue is and how much better it would be with a pointer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
EDarkness said:
Because it wouldn't make any sense to take what they've done with the Wii and throw it out the window. Having both controllers in the box makes sure everyone gets to play how they like and it makes it easier to play Wii games without having to grab Wii controllers. On top of that, one of the rumors (from Edge I think) said the motions were better than Move. Which hints that a Wii style controller will be available.

I'm not looking at their history. History stated that they wouldn't release a Wii that would be so graphically inferior to the competition. They've never really done that, so I'm going with practical. Leaving split motion controllers to the curb wouldn't make any sense considering the success they've had with it.

1. "Everyone gets to play how they like it" sounds precisely like a NeoGAFism. It makes zero business sense. This isn't being built to play Wii games any more than the Wii was built to play GC games.

2. Rumors from Edge. Ok.

3. "Available" and "two of them packed in every box!" are so far apart I'm embarrassed that I need to bring that up.

4. Ignore their history at your (emotional?) peril. And just because you can't make sense of it doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom