• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

*turns chair backwards*

Okay team, we all appreciate a good "zinger" here at the Neo Gaming Age Forums, but after three posting attempts to derail a thread about a historical documentary with, "ha, and then they should throw the Xbox Ones in the landfill, because Microsoft can't sell them and a landfill is where you put the garbage (xbox ones)" we kind of get it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hopefully it's legit and not some reality TV "reality." Surely, people who worked at Atari back then know exactly what the story is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Some of those game boxes and manuals look to be in pretty good shape for being buried in a landfill for 30 years.

Rain water/ground-water doesn't get that far down in desert-landfills. This is probably Arizona(?) where rain probably is sparse? Throw in trash above that depending on if they still had that site open and it wouldn't be too hard to believe with plastic bags/trash-bags blocking decomposition and water stuff from getting to them.

Now they've unearthed the video game industry's fall by unsealing the dark magic.

We've come full circle

this is absolutely legendary. I've heard the landfill stories all my life

The "urban legend" is that there were literally hundreds of thousands of copies of ET buried.

I see one copy of ET. In relatively good condition.

This smells like utter reality TV bullshit....at least until some better photographic evidence turns up. If they really discovered a cache of thousands of games I don't understand why they only took a few pictures of single copies. Methinks some desperate production assistant was searching for "Atari" on eBay a few days ago.

Um, sorry to rain down on your hate parade, but they found loads more.

Toxi

Banned
You've unleashed a terrible curse.

Another videogame crash incoming, people. Brace yourselves.

def sim

I've been told this was false. This is an interesting development, I'll probably check out their documentary at some point.

Hopefully it's legit and not some reality TV "reality." Surely, people who worked at Atari back then know exactly what the story is.

The lead designer of the game was there, on site today. I don't think Microsoft is dumb enough to get themselves involved in something like this if they didn't have their facts straight.

*turns chair backwards*

Okay team, we all appreciate a good "zinger" here at the Neo Gaming Age Forums, but after three posting attempting to derail a thread about a historical documentary with, "ha, and then they should throw the Xbox Ones in the landfill, because Microsoft can't sell them and a landfill is where you put the garbage (xbox ones)" we kind of get it.

Omfg...I didn't knew that...

turiaf-cant-believe-it-o.gif

Rain water/ground-water doesn't get that far down in desert-landfills. This is probably Arizona(?) where rain probably is sparse? Throw in trash above that depending on if they still had that site open and it wouldn't be too hard to believe with plastic bags/trash-bags blocking decomposition and water stuff from getting to them.

Yeah its new mexico and its dry as a bone. Anywhere else but a desert landfill and they would be mush.idk why people have to be so skeptical of everything. Kobunheat is on scene and I believe he would not be involved in some reality TV garbage. Literally.

graboids

Spoilers! But seriously, knowing they found some makes the documentary less interesting... They should have kept it a secret until the doc airs... Still cool they found something though I guess...

CDX

You've unleashed a terrible curse.

Another videogame crash incoming, people. Brace yourselves.

Microsoft has unleashed the curse. Another videogame crash is coming.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft has been through a videogame crash.

Will Nintendo be the savior of the videogame industry again? But the Nintendo employees who witnessed the 80s crash are all old/retired/or dead now.

Who will save videogames now? What have you done Microsoft! Those were supposed to stay buried!

Theonik

Regular cardboard takes only a few months to degrade completely in landfill. Not sure what those boxes are made of, but it does seem a little fishy that they're in such good condition.
Yeah...regular cardboard biodegrades within a matter of weeks. After 30 years, there shouldn't be anything left of those boxes.

EDIT: Not to mention those paper inserts. Those should just be gone.
That's in an ordinary landfill. In a desert there isn't enough moisture for cardboard to degrade.

Microsoft has unleashed the curse. Another videogame crash is coming.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft has been through a videogame crash.

Will Nintendo be the savior of the videogame industry again? But the Nintendo employees who witnessed the 80s crash are all old/retired/or dead now.

Who will save videogames now? What have you done Microsoft! Those were supposed to stay buried!

SEGA OUT OF NOWHERE

Spoilers! But seriously, knowing they found some makes the documentary less interesting... They should have kept it a secret until the doc airs... Still cool they found something though I guess...

That would be worse and gimmicky as hell. I found more interesting that they found them given how disputed the legend was. .

Would have been a better idea for them to photograph the "Loads" rather then three on a table.
These pics are from bystanders, probably with smartphones. I doubt they can get a good view of the "loads" so instead they're just taking pics of the copy brought up for people to get a good view of.

I'm as skeptical as most based on the pictures, but I would think MS would have better sense now than to attach themselves to a hoax on the gaming community at this point in time.

I remember seeing somewhere that you can still find newspapers from the 1920 in landfills. Something about the paper being buried in such an environment that it doesn't break down like it normally would if left out in the open in a forest or something. Plus, the concrete poured over the site probably helped preserve everything.

DrkSage

Man I wish I could be there, so I can take a couple dozen of copies and sell them on EBay... It's like I'm gonna get money to give people a bad gaming experience

ItIsOkBro

I'm skeptical since I just read of the 'reality-style series about a documentary about a landfill with discarded Atari games' MS is making.

Synth

The story about people bothering to dig through a landfill? Maybe.

The fact that unsold ET cartridges were thrown in a landfill?
Only those who weren't alive during the great crash of 84 and can remember exactly how much Atari blew it.

I was alive. I don't remember it.

(Born 1983)

That's because this is a hoax. The real burial site of these cartridges was supposedly in Texas, not New Mexico.
Uh looking online, the burial was in New Mexico, the trucks that brought them were from an Atari storehouse in Texas.

Also wasn't this dump site chosen because the landfill crushed and buried it's garbage daily or something?

sangreal

I don't find a Tweet that says "apparently there are tons more down there" to be terribly specific or compelling. But like I said, let's see some more photos of what's there.

arstechnica had reporters there for the excavation and the general public was as well so more info will be out soon

not to mention the documentary

e: speaking of ars
megan geuss ‏@MeganGeuss 37m
"There are a whole hell of a lot more down there" one guy in The dig says

jaypah

ms is doing a docu of atari games on a landfill?

so they're indeed trying to win back the gaming crowd with "hip" things like this.

And a lot of folks here thinks it's cool. It's just a thing they shot to put on their service. Why does everything have to devolve like this?

Top Bottom