• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Won't Honda have any influence on the matter?
Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any Honda backed drivers that have enough superlicense points. Matsushita is the closest in F2, but it looks like he won't finish high enough in the championship to qualify.

Fisico

Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any Honda backed drivers that have enough superlicense points. Matsushita is the closest in F2, but it looks like he won't finish high enough in the championship to qualify.

Oh so that thing really is important now?
Matsushita was a F2 driver for 3 years now so I figure he was qualified (not like I want him though)

Is there a ranking of all juniors drivers with enough superlicence points somewhere?

If Matsushita hasn't enough I think there are probably not so many young drivers that can qualify overall (30 maybe?)

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Oh so that thing really is important now?
Matsushita was a F2 driver for 3 years now so I figure he was qualified (not like I want him though)

Is there a ranking of all juniors drivers with enough superlicence points somewhere?

If Matsushita hasn't enough I think there are probably not so many young drivers that can qualify overall (30 maybe?)
Here's a list from the beginning of the year of all the drivers in the world who scored superlicense points. You need 40 for a superlicense.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/01/23/superlicence-points-2017-full-list-of-all-314-points-scoring-drivers/

It hasn't been updated up to now.

Joe Saward is predicting that Lando Norris will drive for Prema in F2. Sean Gelael being the second driver. I will be very disappointed that a team as professional as Prema is takes Gelael.

Wasn't there a rumour that the Gelael-family is buying Prema now that the Strolls don't need it to get Lance into F1 anymore?

Red Bull drivers with the newest member of the junior team, baby Horner.

DE2Ruz5XgAAo6LA.jpg:large

Funny that the guy that's leaving is in the pic yet Kvyatt is missing.

kiyomi

I'm praying for Kubica to go to Williams. That team hasn't had a major talent since Rosberg left. We need Massa to leave F1, when was the last really great performance from him? 2009? 2008?

Some nice 2018 livery concepts with the halo included:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/55965459/2018-F1-Livery-Concepts

That Force India (One) looks great.

God I fucking hate the halo.

A lot of these don't make much sense but the blue Williams one is nice. Certainly better than their current one which is very boring and stale at this point.

hadareud

The Translator
Did Vandoorne need 4 seasons in GP2 to be crowned a champion?

Has Vandoorne shown anything this season to suggest he can compete with the best drivers?

He's 25 years old, he's not young anymore. Maybe he'll improve next season, who knows. I just think that considering Stroll is 7 years younger, he seems to have progressed quicker throughout the season than Vandoorne.

Vandoorne is less erratic and more consistent, but you'd expect that considering his age and experience. I believe Stroll has the bigger upside once he has a few more races under his belt.

He's no Verstappen, either, though.

Jezbollah

Has Vandoorne shown anything this season to suggest he can compete with the best drivers?

He's 25 years old, he's not young anymore. Maybe he'll improve next season, who knows. I just think that considering Stroll is 7 years younger, he seems to have progressed quicker throughout the season than Vandoorne.

Vandoorne is less erratic and more consistent, but you'd expect that considering his age and experience. I believe Stroll has the bigger upside once he has a few more races under his belt.

He's no Verstappen, either, though.

To be fair, Vandoorne is in a bucket of shit car. He's doing as good as you can do in that package.

I think he's a very good driver, but he's not a LeClerc. And LeClerc is clearly the brightest talent in GP2 since Hamilton IMO.

To be fair, Vandoorne is in a bucket of shit car. He's doing as good as you can do in that package.

I think he's a very good driver, but he's not a LeClerc. And LeClerc is clearly the brightest talent in GP2 since Hamilton IMO.
The same was said about Hulkenberg though, whom is good, but...well...no podiums is hurting...he did win LeMan's though. He really needs a better car or something.

valkyre

Some nice 2018 livery concepts with the halo included:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/55965459/2018-F1-Livery-Concepts

That Force India (One) looks great.

I still cannot understand how the Halo is not impairing driver's vision... I honestly cant see how it doesnt affect things negatively on this aspect, blind spots etc.

And then it is just a matter of figuring out the % of accidents the introduction of Halo might cause due to vision impairment vs the benefits of protection against debris.

Sure the cars will be safer, but I believe we will have even more accidents.

John_B

The same was said about Hulkenberg though, whom is good, but...well...no podiums is hurting...he did win LeMan's though. He really needs a better car or something.
In the same car Perez was on the podium once in 2014, once in 2015 and twice in 2016. I prefer Perez over Hulk but I would say they are comparable on pace. More interesting would be to see both of them up against the top tier of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel.

Fox Mulder

I still cannot understand how the Halo is not impairing driver's vision... I honestly cant see how it doesnt affect things negatively on this aspect, blind spots etc.

And then it is just a matter of figuring out the % of accidents the introduction of Halo might cause due to vision impairment vs the benefits of protection against debris.

Drivers look at apexes most of the time.

The halo is still shit and they are discussing keeping shark fins now for identification because driver helmets are blocked.

It's a done deal, but hopefully is quickly replaced. I just can't believe the halo is the best option they could come up with. How could a screen not work if built into to the chassis rather than being a bolted on after thought.

DBT85

The central strut will blur out like the aerials and stuff do for the most part.

valkyre

Drivers look at apexes most of the time.

The halo is still shit and they are discussing keeping shark fins now for identification because driver helmets are blocked.

It's a done deal, but hopefully is quickly replaced. I just can't believe the halo is the best option they could come up with. How could a screen not work if built into to the chassis rather than being a bolted on after thought.

Driver's look at apexes, but when you are following a car bumper to bumper, when there is chaos around you like GP starts when there are bad weather conditions (just think about Singapore start) where cars are all over the place, I seriously cannot see how that thing wont cause issues.

Fisico

In the same car Perez was on the podium once in 2014, once in 2015 and twice in 2016. I prefer Perez over Hulk but I would say they are comparable on pace. More interesting would be to see both of them up against the top tier of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel.

It's both skill and luck on that particular statistic, (almost?) every time Perez had a podium he had both at the same time, while I can think of a few times where Hulkenberg was especially unlucky on races where he could've get a podium.
Hell last week-end he should've definitely ended up 4th at worst, maybe 3rd was doable? Didn't see the whole race so can't say for sure.

I actually like both, though seem to prefer Hulkenburg these days because he doesn't seem like the type to try to crash out his teammate, but Perez has the stats and seemingly better luck. I mean Bottas can barely handle Hamilton so...what would Hulk's prospects be?

Jezbollah

I think the Hulk has done Hulk things in that Renault. He's clearly flattering that car. Palmer really hasn't been anywhere near him in conparison. Vandoorne has shown improvement and is close to Alonso after a shaky start to the year.

Re Halos, I'm only now getting somewhat used to them - although begrudgingly. It's too late for them to can that concept now - were just going to have to tolerate them until we see a more elegant solution.

dl77

I think the Hulk has done Hulk things in that Renault. He's clearly flattering that car. Palmer really hasn't been anywhere near him in conparison. Vandoorne has shown improvement and is close to Alonso after a shaky start to the year.

Is there another F1 series that I've been missing out on?!

Ganassi really wanted Rosenqvist, but apparently he couldn't get out of his Formula E contract. Ganassi is looking to sign Brendon Hartley for this year.

Last I heard (a few weeks ago) Ganassi needed a driver who brought more money than Felix does. Hartley has also tested for Venturi recently and has stated he wants to continue his relationship with Porsche.

Re Halos, I'm only now getting somewhat used to them - although begrudgingly. It's too late for them to can that concept now - were just going to have to tolerate them until we see a more elegant solution.

If we can get through stepped noses and penis noses, we'll do just fine with a year of halos on the cars.

xcXou8j.jpg

dubc35

Haha the duckbill platypi and thatsapenis.gif years. good (read: bad) times...aesthetically and lift and coasting.

I personally think choice to use the Halo should be down to the individual driver - if they want to run it great, but if they don't no harm no foul.

DBT85

I personally think choice to use the Halo should be down to the individual driver - if they want to run it great, but if they don't no harm no foul.

As with everything, you can't leave it up to the driver. They will more often than not do whatever they need to go faster. If that means dropping xkg of titanium off the car in order to do so they will. That's why this stuff is always regulated and not "well, if you'd like to be safe, do this".

As with everything, you can't leave it up to the driver. They will more often than not do whatever they need to go faster. If that means dropping xkg of titanium off the car in order to do so they will. That's why this stuff is always regulated and not "well, if you'd like to be safe, do this".

I get that, I just think the whole thing has been so poorly conceived and rushed that this was one scenario where it should be up to the individual as concept is so polarising.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm no safety engineer, but wouldn't a halo give more space to move in the cockpit if a car gets overturned?

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/2/1200/630/5/uploads/posts/2017/08/ed6e2b16d7595d202b21a7ac21468bba.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I believe in most cases the car will be on an angle on its side, with the halo. It certainly is much less likely to bury itself, or rather the driver, into a barrier

Top Bottom