• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul singer Charles Bradley dies at 68

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...eact-to-charles-bradley-death-on-social-media

In early September, Bradley was forced to cancel all of his upcoming tour dates following a second bout of cancer that made performaning difficult. With 37 dates scheduled through the end of the year, Bradley's spokesperson said the singer felt run down during recent shows. A year after a stomach cancer diagnosis, doctors informed Bradley that his cancer had spread to his liver, though it had not returned to his stomach.

Bradley, who drew comparisons to James Brown thanks to his excitable stage persona, died in Brooklyn surrounded by family and friends, as well as members of bands he had worked with.

I'm gutted. RIP to Charles Bradley. We tried so hard to see you at SXSW but we couldn't find our way to the venue and were too late. We played you at our wedding. You had a face and voice that just transmitted pure emotion and I will always be sad I didn't get to see it live. The Daptone soul revival was one of the most joyful mini-movements of music I have ever seen. With you and Sharon gone it feels officially over...

bradleyportrait1.jpg

His biggest hit:
https://youtu.be/moiUyFQQE-0

His stunning cover of Black Sabbath's "Changes:"
https://youtu.be/xi49yirJiEA

First Sharon Jones last year and now Bradley this year. ☹️. I was a huge fan of both of them and they will be missed by lovers of the soul revival. RIP.

Was about to make this thread

:'''(

RIP Black Velvet, Screaming Eagle of Soul

For those that don't know him, his story is something else:

Born in Gainesville, Fla., Bradley grew up in Brooklyn but left home at the age of 14. "If I'm not wanted, I'm gone. And I left," he said in a 2013 interview. He spent much of his life itinerant, performing at one point in Maine — where his band was disbanded due to the Vietnam draft, as he told the Chicago Tribune in 2011. From there he headed west, working odd jobs and seeking out chances to sing. In his 40s, he moved back to Brooklyn and began performing as James Brown impersonator under the name Black Velvet before being scouted by Gabriel Roth, a Daptone co-founder and recording engineer, though he continued to perform under the pseudonym while developing a career under his given name.

After the release of his debut album, Bradley began touring extensively, invariably closing his shows by descending the stage and thanking his audience, extending hugs to all.

01wczPE.jpg

"Charles was somehow one of the meekest and strongest people I've ever known. His pain was a cry for universal love and humanity. His soulful moans and screams will echo forever on records and in the ears and hearts of those who were fortunate enough to share time with him," Gabriel Roth writes in a statement. "I find some solace knowing that he will continue to inspire love and music in this world for generations to come. I told him as much a few days ago. He smiled and told me, 'I tried.' It was probably the simplest and most inspiring thing he ever told me. I think he wanted to hug each person on this planet individually. I mean that literally, and anyone that ever saw him knows that he honestly tried."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...ming-eagle-of-soul-charles-bradley-dies-at-68

I've hugged the man after one of his shows. He found commercial success so late in life and he was incredibly grateful for his fans and everyone watching him for it.

;_;

Wow, I had no idea he had cancer man...RIP. He was amazing, and his story makes me really emotional. I was lucky to see him perform a few years ago and besides the music and performance being top notch, he just seemed like such a good person to boot. RIP

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
:( I love this guy so much. My wife and I saw him at Treefort last year and he was incredible. Such a genuinely warm performer.

Damn, that's a shame. Liked his cover of Sabbath's changes.

The story of his career really blossoming so late in his life was very inspiring indeed.

Was really sad to read about this a few hours ago on my news feed. I'd never heard of Bradley until just last year when I heard Changes while in a store doing errands. The song was so good I downloaded it to my phone right after tagging it, song is so bittersweet and beautifully sung. I just wish I could have found his work sooner. His success and happiness late in life is inspiring.

For those that don't know him, his story is something else:

I've hugged the man after one of his shows. He found commercial success so late in life and he was incredibly grateful for his fans and everyone watching him for it.

;_;

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/charles-bradley-acclaimed-soul-singer-dead-at-68-w505141

But I know that from doing shows for the public, the love when I go out into the audience and hug 'em and the things that they say to me personally … [pauses] Wow. It's not only me onstage doing it. I open their hearts up and they feel the love of my heart and when I go out there and really respond to 'em and talk to 'em, they tell me some things."

Blader

What a goddamn shame. My girlfriend is going to be crushed.

He had an incredible story and lived a rough, rough life. It's awful that it ended like this after he finally made it, but if there's a silver lining it's that he got to live out his dream, finally, even for just a short while.

R.I.P.

Zeroro

I always feel awful when I find out about great artists like this after they’ve passed away. Listening to his albums and love his sound.

Amagon

Whhhaaaaatttt!

Goddamn, that dude was a bonafide killer and would of love to see you him in concert.

God rest your soul brother.

😢

Rest in peace. Saw him at Bonnaroo a few years back and it was a really powerful show. He was an incredible musician and I hope his legacy continues to grow.

I never knew he was even sick. He was an incredible talent you could hear the raw emotion in his voice and brings meaning to the lyrics like few can do. Im upset and suprised by this. RIP Charles we wont forget you.

Saw this and was bummed. Had no idea he was born in my home-away-from-hometown.

Daptone sound has had some sad losses lately, between this, Sharon Jones and the guy from the Frightnrs.

megalowho

Tough loss. Powerful vocalist who went through hard times and was just a geniune, heartfelt and warm soul. A friend of mine who works as a music writer got to know him over time and wrote up a nice piece in Billboard today on the man.

Charles Bradley Remembered: A Great Soul Man Who Found the Light in Darkness
The first time I saw Charles was at Stubbs' in Austin while singing ”Heartaches and Pain": Dropping to his knees, splitting, and dancing with the dexterity and style that few performers in any age range can replicate. I've never seen a crowd won over in just a few seconds like this one -- mostly they were there to see alt-rock acts TV on the Radio and Foster the People. But after the band's intro, when he sung out in his slight rasp, ”There a time in my life/ When it ran so cold," I remember sensing a collective gasp, where everyone immediately fell in love with Charles. I remember watching as a bunch of fans turned their heads to each other and said some variation of "Holy shit, I love this guy."

The World Is Going Up In Flames still gives me chills, classic track that will stand the test of time.

I saw him 3X. He was supposed to play here last night and had to cancel. Dude hugged everyone. A big heart; as big as his big, soulful voice. RIP.

Saw him at FYF in 2013 and 2016, was absolutely phenomenal up there. I'm glad he found success late in life, right when I really got into soul music and its revival.

RIP

Teh Lurv

That's horrible. :( I discovered Bradley from his appearance on Luke Cage, then watched the video of "Ain't it a sin" and this other songs on Youtube. I loved his music and immediately went out and picked up Changes and No Time for Dreaming from my local Newbury Comics.

I learned about his cancer awhile ago when I was reading up on his biography and I was really hoping he'd recover from it. It seemed like the poor guy couldn't catch a break after finally hitting success.

Wag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXUznxv0qF0

Some of the great classic soul singers are still alive. I highly recommend this Tiny Desk William Bell concert recorded last year to promote his new album. William Bell is one of the most underappreciated performers/writers around. The guy is in his lates 70's and he's still amazing.

He performed on the Grammy's last year.

J_Viper

What a damn shame

I stumbled upon him on YouTube and was immediately enamoured by his voice. He seemed like an incredible person, as well.

Rest in Peace

Top Bottom