• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Retrospective - Blue Bomber Across the Ages

RK128

latest

Our Blue Bomber is getting the Retrospective treatment next after the success of my Sonic Retrospective :). I've covered one Mega Man game already, Legends 1 and I plan on covering Legends 2 sometime this week, so consider both part of this Retrospective :).

Mega Man is a great IP and despite owning a lot of his games, I only played a handful of them. So, what better excuse to blast through all of them then making a Retrospective series on him :D!

Just to note, this will not be as frequent as my Sonic threads, as they were pumped out too fast for people to fully comment on. So this will run alongside my Ratchet & Clank Retrospective, starting this Tuesday with Going Commando to celebrate the launch of the PS4 game :).

Going to need some help on covering a few games, as I never experienced the Battle Network, Zero, ZX or Starforce Series, so if people want to give me a hand when I get to those series, feel free to PM me!

Okay, so going to list all the games I plan on covering and I hope you all enjoy going through the ages with the Blue Bomber :D!

Classic Series:
Mega Man - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 2 & 3 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 4 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 5 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 6 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 7 - Platforms: SNES, Nintendo Wii U, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 8 - Platforms: PS1, PSN (JP/US), Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 9 & 10 - Platforms: Wii, Xbox 360, PS3
Mega Man Powered Up! - Platforms: PSP
Mega Man & Bass - Platforms: SNES (JP), Game Boy Advance (US/EU), Nintendo Wii U
Mega Man Soccer - Platforms: SNES
Mega Man: The Wily Wars - Platforms: Sega Genesis
Mega Man - The Game Boy Saga (I, II, III, IV, & V) - Nintendo Game Boy, Nintendo 3DS (VC)
Mega Man: The Power Battle & The Power Fighters (Arcade)
Mega Man: Battle & Chase - Platforms: PlayStation 1, Mega Man X Collection (PS2/GC - Unlockable Game)
Mega Man: Battle & Fighters (NeoGeo Pocket Color)

Mega Man X Series:
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2 & X3
Mega Man X4
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X6
Mega Man X7
Mega Man X8
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man X Command Mission
Mega Man Xtreme 1 & 2

Mega Man Legends Series:
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Misadventures of Trone Bone

Mega Man Battle Network Series:
Battle Network 1
Battle Network 2
Battle Network 3
Battle Network 4
Battle Network 5&6
Network Transmission
Mega Man Star Force Series

Mega Man Zero/ZX Series:
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2 & 3
Mega Man Zero 4
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent

Reset

You should play Maverick Hunter X from the X series. It's a remake of the original with additional content and characters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MM&B comes directly after 8 if you're going chronologically, or you can consider it a side game.

Also consider Megaman Soccer, Command Mission, Network Transmission, etc.

You should play Maverick Hunter X from the X series. It's a remake of the original with additional content and characters.

Considering how big a fan RK is of PSP/Vita games I'm sure it will be covered.

RK128

Crap X(. Forgot to put it in the OP :(. Sorry about that XD!

Also, Man God, will cover those games you mention too. But they will be far latter down the line, as I need to get them first :).

RK128

I'll cover the Gameboy series if you want. I-V

That would be awesome :). Will PM you when I finish the console classic series (or at least up to Mega Man 6) and then we can work together on them. They should be easy to get for me considering they are on the 3DS E-Shop and I own a 2DS :D.

alf717

Classic Series:
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mega Man 7
Mega Man 8
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Mega Man Powered Up!
Mega Man & Base
Mega Man Soccer

Mega Man & Base.... =)

Clearly you must mean Bass

largemouthbass.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That would be awesome :). Will PM you when I finish the console classic series (or at least up to Mega Man 6) and then we can work together on them. They should be easy to get for me considering they are on the 3DS E-Shop and I own a 2DS :D.

Hey no problem at all. I love those games. I actually know a ton more about MM than I do about Sanic, plus I think I own every game on the list so far!

The only other games missing of any import are Megaman on Game Gear and Wily Wars. Oh and the DOS games if you want a lark.

RowdyReverb

I'm looking forward to your MM6. It's not highly regarded, but it's the only one I owned as a kid so I holds a special place in my heart

Also, are you going to change your avatar to Mega Man for the sake of consistency?

RK128

Say bruv, when you gonna do a Spyro retrospective?

Mmm........that is a good question.

I might run it after I complete my Ratchet Retrospective, but it will be paired with Crash Bandicoot. Both series go hand-in-hand with each other and I think its fair to cover both as a single retrospective series :).

This Mega Man retrospective will likely be even LONGER then my Sonic Retrospective considering how I never played a good 40% of the games I put in the OP (the entire Battle Network, ZX, Star Force and Zero Series).

RK128

I'm looking forward to your MM6. It's not highly regarded, but it's the only one I owned as a kid so I holds a special place in my heart

Also, are you going to change your avatar to Mega Man for the sake of consistency?

I am so used to Sonic being my avatar, it will be very strange for it to change; it has always been Sonic ever since I joined NeoGaf.

RK128

Hey no problem at all. I love those games. I actually know a ton more about MM than I do about Sanic, plus I think I own every game on the list so far!

The only other games missing of any import are Megaman on Game Gear and Wily Wars. Oh and the DOS games if you want a lark.

Mega Man got on Game Gear O_O!

Man.....that is odd XD! Will put Wily Wars in the OP and will cover that to close the Classic Series :).

The DOS Games will not be covered........saw enough of them on the AVGN Mega Man Episode to stay far away from them!

I like Mega Man 6, there's some great ideas in there.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, RK! I'll be coming along for the ride too! You should really play the GB games. At least V! V holds its own against the NES games. I always wanted an expanded V in full color.

you'll play the DOS games and you'll love it :p

RK128

Nice, RK! I'll be coming along for the ride too! You should really play the GB games. At least V! V holds its own against the NES games. I always wanted an expanded V in full color.

I will :D! Own a 3DS, so I have no excuse not to play those games :).

Also, regarding your edit.......

168937.gif

JazzmanZ

You should keep the retrospective to a single thread like Da birdie is doing for the Pokemon series, it allows more discussion to on about the games, and its easier to track where each of the titles you review are.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Man.....that is odd XD! Will put Wily Wars in the OP and will cover that to close the Classic Series :).

The DOS Games will not be covered........saw enough of them on the AVGN Mega Man Episode to stay far away from them!

It's a mash up of IV and V released in 1995 by US Gold! It was at one point headed to the 3DS eshop but nothing has been heard of it since.

RK128

You should keep the retrospective to a single thread like Da birdie is doing for the Pokemon series, it allows more discussion to on about the games, and its easier to track where each of the titles you review are.

That might be a good idea.......as people did say they got lost when I was making the Sonic threads.

Will do what I did with the Sonic Series, with each thread being linked in the OP by name, but will ensure a link to this Retrospective will be put in the OP for each thread.

If people get lost, will just put each OP here via long post.

It's a mash up of IV and V released in 1995 by US Gold! It was at one point headed to the 3DS eshop but nothing has been heard of it since.

Really? That is very cool :D. Hopefully they get around to putting it up on the E-Shop at some point.....

Don't forget these in the Classic Series!
Mega Man V (GameBoy)
Mega Man: The Power Battle (Arcade)
Mega Man: The Power Fighters (Arcade)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That might be a good idea.......as people did say they got lost when I was making the Sonic threads.
I agree; keep it all to one place. The compilation thread is nice, but it gets lost in amongst all of the other GAF threads.

That said, your threads are great! I'm a huge fan of the blue bomber, so I'm looking forward to this one. Let me know if you need help or additional insight on the X or ZX series - my personal favorites!!

RK128

Don't forget these in the Classic Series!
Mega Man V (GameBoy)
Mega Man: The Power Battle (Arcade)
Mega Man: The Power Fighters (Arcade)

Mega Man was on the Pocket Colors O_O!

.......Shouldn't be that surprised XD! Mega Man is a big IP after all :'). Will edit the OP to include those games now :).

RK128

I agree; keep it all to one place. The compilation thread is nice, but it gets lost in amongst all of the other GAF threads.

That said, your threads are great! I'm a huge fan of the blue bomber, so I'm looking forward to this one. Let me know if you need help or additional insight on the X or ZX series - my personal favorites!!

Will PM you when I get to those games, as I will be looking at them with fresh eyes. Tried one of the Zero games but got so confused :(.

Thank you for the help :D!

Also, will not make threads for this Retrospective, but will keep it all in one place, same with the Ratchet Retrospective. Thank you for the feedback on that everyone :).

SkyOdin

If you haven't played the Battle Network, Star Force, Zero, and ZX games, then you have really missed out on one of the best eras of Mega Man games. These are all my favorite Mega Man series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you haven't played the Battle Network, Star Force, Zero, and ZX games, then you have really missed out on one of the best eras of Mega Man games. These are all my favorite Mega Man series.
Well, he will get to experience them all for the first time soon. Lucky guy.

Mega Man was on the Pocket Colors O_O!

.......Shouldn't be that surprised XD! Mega Man is a big IP after all :'). Will edit the OP to include those games now :).

Yeah! It's a great title. As the title suggest, it's a pocket version of both Arcade Games. And as far as it's importance to Mega Man canon (lol), The Battle Fighters has the closest direct link to the X series.

RK128

Can't wait to dig through all of them myself :D!

Always heard great things about Battle Network and Zero in particular, so very interested in playing those games :).

Yup, MM was released on the Game Gear but its basically a mix of mainly Mega Man 5, with bits of 4 and 2 chucked in for fun:

misc.jpg

Really happy I managed to get my copy (shown above). Its a tough game to track down complete. Its a pity that the squashed screen size and blurry GG screen makes it less fun to play compared to the NES games. Plus the bosses move at turbo speed, you can only shoot two shots at once (as opposed to 3) and Napalm Man now deals splash damage with his rockets (making him much harder compared to his appearance in MM5).

Your Sonic retrospective was awesome, can't wait to see what you think about my favourite series!

Let me know if you want any info about some of the obscure releases from the series, I've managed to get all the games in the series, even stuff like the Wonderswan games, Chinese only PC releases (really odd stuff like Rockman Strategy, Gold Empire, Rockman X Math) etc.

RK128

Yup, MM was released on the Game Gear but its basically a mix of mainly Mega Man 5, with bits of 4 and 2 chucked in for fun:

misc.jpg

Really happy I managed to get my copy (shown above). Its a tough game to track down complete. Its a pity that the squashed screen size and blurry GG screen makes it less fun to play compared to the NES games. Plus the bosses move at turbo speed, you can only shoot two shots at once (as opposed to 3) and Napalm Man now deals splash damage with his rockets (making him much harder compared to his appearance in MM5).

Your Sonic retrospective was awesome, can't wait to see what you think about my favourite series!

Let me know if you want any info about some of the obscure releases from the series, I've managed to get all the games in the series, even stuff like the Wonderswan games, Chinese only PC releases (really odd stuff like Rockman Strategy, Gold Empire, Rockman X Math) etc.

Glad you enjoyed my Sonic Retrospective :D! If I need any help, I will PM you for sure :).

RK128

Zx and Zx advent.

And if you need help zero 1-4

Also the comic books probably.

Will need help with those games for sure.....okay, will PM you when I get to them :).

Maybe we can cover the comic book and the old Mega Man Cartoon in an extra thread celebrating the conclusion of the Classic Series :D.

Giolon

One-off Mega Man ZX? ZX has two games. ZX was meant to be the continuation after Zero, and it only ended bc sales were unfortunately poor. ZX Advent is one of my favorite post MMX titles.

RK128

One-off Mega Man ZX? ZX has two games. ZX was meant to be the continuation after Zero, and it only ended bc sales were unfortunately poor. ZX Advent is one of my favorite post MMX titles.

That is a bad name........okay, will fix that in the OP.

Sorry if I got you upset buddy :(.

Music wise I always really enjoyed Network Transmissions soundtrack. Its got a couple of really good tracks that stick with me:

Fire Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt01YBiWmhA
(and my favourite) Pharoh Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUzzlP3DCwo

And speaking of Pharoh Man, I love his Power Fighters remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-D6ncvNfE

I've been relistening to the X5 and X6 soundtracks a lot recently as well, X6 has a pretty great soundtrack, even if I still don't really like some of the changes they made to the game (nightmare system is ironically a nightmare to deal with).

RK128

Music wise I always really enjoyed Network Transmissions soundtrack. Its got a couple of really good tracks that stick with me:

Fire Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt01YBiWmhA
(and my favourite) Pharoh Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUzzlP3DCwo

And speaking of Pharoh Man, I love his Power Fighters remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-D6ncvNfE

I've been relistening to the X5 and X6 soundtracks a lot recently as well, X6 has a pretty great soundtrack, even if I still don't really like some of the changes they made to the game (nightmare system is ironically a nightmare to deal with).

I owned Network Transmission when I got my GameCube (and it was my very first Mega Man game!)........hated it :(. Fire Man's theme rocked but the boss was way to hard :(.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I owned Network Transmission when I got my GameCube (and it was my very first Mega Man game!)........hated it :(. Fire Man's theme rocked but the boss was way to hard :(.

You'll be schooled up by the time you finish this project enough so that if you do this game near the end you might find your opinion changed on it. It's not great or anything but it is very interesting.

RK128

You'll be schooled up by the time you finish this project enough so that if you do this game near the end you might find your opinion changed on it. It's not great or anything but it is very interesting.

I can already imagine that, as I thought Mega Man 1 as super hard when I first played it, but playing the PS1 Classics version of it on my Vita right now for this retrospective......its not that bad at all :D!

Love game so far and the controls are more solid then I remembered them being.

The game starts off very brutal, especially if its your first game in the series. You start off incredibly under powered and your best bet for Fire Man is to use a water chip for big damage. The next level is pretty tough as well but after that you should start to power Mega Man up and things become easier from there. I'm in the minority that really enjoyed the game, managed to S Rank all the bosses and beat the hidden secret boss (who was darn hard). Its not the best game in the series, but its one of my personal favourites.

RK128

The game starts off very brutal, especially if its your first game in the series. You start off incredibly under powered and your best bet for Fire Man is to use a water chip for big damage. The next level is pretty tough as well but after that you should start to power Mega Man up and things become easier from there. I'm in the minority that really enjoyed the game, managed to S Rank all the bosses and beat the hidden secret boss (who was darn hard). Its not the best game in the series, but its one of my personal favourites.

It was cool seeing a Classic-like Mega Man game on consoles, so I respect Network Transmission on that level. Interesting that the Battle Network series got a side-scrolling spin-off, as its a alternate setting/timeline based on the Classic Series :D.

It was cool seeing a Classic-like Mega Man game on consoles, so I respect Network Transmission on that level. Interesting that the Battle Network series got a side-scrolling spin-off, as its a alternate setting/timeline based on the Classic Series :D.

The BN series actually got two side scrolling games - the second is an exclusive platformer on the Wonderswan Colour. Its quite a low key release. It was Japan only and I never really see it get talked about. Its a pity as I quite like it - its got branching levels (different bosses on each path) and there are extra hidden bosses that you can reach if certain conditions are met. Its one I recommend you give a shot at some stage, just stay away from the other two Wonderswan titles (N1 Grand Prix and Rockman & Forte). Those two are pretty bad.

Top Bottom