• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I got it! It's definitely worth it. SVRVIVE is quite neat and mars odyssey is releativsly interesting. Haven't tried the others.

Tainted

I got it! It's definitely worth it. SVRVIVE is quite neat and mars odyssey is releativsly interesting. Haven't tried the others.

I got around to trying all the games from the bundle last night, here are my thoughts:

Heaven Forest NIGHTS - My play area was too small, so I couldn't start it. Uninstalled
Above - VR Nice to look at, but nothing to do really. Uninstalled
Escape Artist: The Trial - Another one I couldn't play due to my play area being too small. Uninstalled
SVRVIVE: The Deus Helix - Very cool, got stuck on 1st quest :) Will def put more time into it
Cargo Cult: Shoot'n'Loot VR - Good for a few mins but got a bit boring/repeitive. Uninstalled
Jupiteration - Same as above. Space Pirate Trainer is a much better alternative for this style of game. Uninstalled
Mars Odyssey - Seems pretty interesting, did the first couple of 'missions' - Will go back to it
Beach Bowling Dream VR - Worst of the package imo, 1 bowling lane and as far as I could see, this was it. Uninstalled
Copter and Sky - Couldn't get controls sorted out, no motion controller support. Will go back and fiddle with it at a later stage.
I Hate Santa - Interesting concept using your head as the controller, got a bit repeitive though after a short period of time. Uninstalled

All in all, the pack is a bit rubbish..the highlights are easily SVRVIVE & Mars Odyssey, so I think its still worth the admission price to pick up those 2

Moondrop

Banned
Heaven Forest NIGHTS - My play area was too small, so I couldn't start it. Uninstalled
Escape Artist: The Trial - Another one I couldn't play due to my play area being too small. Uninstalled
What thresholds are we talking? How often is this an issue? I'm considering my options.

Tainted

What thresholds are we talking? How often is this an issue? I'm considering my options.

I have the bare minimum for my play area and it isn't usually too much of an issue, but there are just some games which won't work with a small play area due to how the player moves around or the size of the rooms etc

The game usually warns you about it upon launch, but you can continue anyway.

Tainted

Ok cool, thanks. I'm looking at a 13.8 foot diagonal right now- perhaps overkill, but the hype.

yup, thats plenty of room....probably 2-3x larger than mine. Alot of VR games have locomotion control (ie where you warp around), so for those theres no real issue with space.

Some games such as Job Simulator actually scale the game world to fit your play area which is a fantastic idea which I would love to see more devs do.

Hey guys, sorry for going a bit off-topic, but I purchased Sairento a couple weeks ago and, while I'm happy with the performance overall, it really slows down in some maps when there are several mooks in sight.

My rig is: i5 3570 (non-K), 8GB ddr3 1600, and a 970. I want to get another 2 years or so from the GPU, so I was thinking about upgrading to a Kaby Lake i5/Ryzen 5 and 16GB DDR4. Will this help, or will my performance only marginally improve?

Zalusithix

Hey guys, sorry for going a bit off-topic, but I purchased Sairento a couple weeks ago and, while I'm happy with the performance overall, it really slows down in some maps when there are several mooks in sight.

My rig is: i5 3570 (non-K), 8GB ddr3 1600, and a 970. I want to get another 2 years or so from the GPU, so I was thinking about upgrading to a Kaby Lake i5/Ryzen 5 and 16GB DDR4. Will this help, or will my performance only marginally improve?

Hmm, I don't remember experiencing any slowdown specifically related to enemy count the last time I played, and I only have an x5670 @ 4.1GHz, though I have a 980ti. That said, there are odd performance issues in the game. For instance sometimes I'll have reprojection in the dojo for no discernible reason.

I don't really have a desire to play the game since they changed the fundamental locomotion though. Physical based jumps where you can inadvertently hit something in the air and be stopped dead don't make sense with a teleport system that doesn't give you any heads up that that'll happen. Then there was the save progress reset coupled with bugged leveling (my first upgrade to jump distance after the reset had me capable of jumping distances spanning the entire map - and beyond).

At this point I'm waiting for a polish pass or two before I go back. Even things like the new location based inventory need some TLC before they'll be as functional as the old gesture system (currently is too dependent on head direction).

Hmm, I don't remember experiencing any slowdown specifically related to enemy count the last time I played, and I only have an x5670 @ 4.1GHz, though I have a 980ti. That said, there are odd performance issues in the game. For instance sometimes I'll have reprojection in the dojo for no discernible reason.

I don't really have a desire to play the game since they changed the fundamental locomotion though. Physical based jumps where you can inadvertently hit something in the air and be stopped dead don't make sense with a teleport system that doesn't give you any heads up that that'll happen. Then there was the save progress reset coupled with bugged leveling (my first upgrade to jump distance after the reset had me capable of jumping distances spanning the entire map - and beyond).

At this point I'm waiting for a polish pass or two before I go back. Even things like the new location based inventory need some TLC before they'll be as functional as the old gesture system (currently is too dependent on head direction).

The idea behind the new locomotion system is nice, but it feels... "off". Also high jumps give me motion sickness, but that's only me. I picked this over Raw Data and perhaps I made the wrong choice

The game will greatly benefit from a story mode and more enemy variety though, and luckily that's coming!

Zalusithix

The idea behind the new locomotion system is nice, but it feels... "off". Also high jumps give me motion sickness, but that's only me. I picked this over Raw Data and perhaps I made the wrong choice

The game will greatly benefit from a story mode and more enemy variety though, and luckily that's coming!

The idea is fine. Most of the ideas are fine. The implementations however leave something to be desired right now. In the case of jumps, the teleport system should make it clear that a given trajectory jump is going to intersect with some level geometry beforehand. It's early access right now, so I'm not holding it against the game. Still, as it stands right now, I'd prefer to play the old Sairento over the current version.

Raw Data is on another level as far as polish goes, but it's got significantly more money behind it, and it has a heavy coop focus.

As for the motion sickness, I'm virtually immune to to that in VR, so the only thing that affects me in Sairento is if I accidentally jump backwards when I'm not expecting it. It is something the game could do better though. It should have more comfort options instead of just full blown movement or instant teleport. A virtual cage or dynamic FoV reduction on jumps would go a long way to make them more tolerable to those more susceptible to VR motion sickness without outright removing the free movement.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I got around to trying all the games from the bundle last night, here are my thoughts:

Above - VR Nice to look at, but nothing to do really. Uninstalled
SVRVIVE: The Deus Helix - Very cool, got stuck on 1st quest :) Will def put more time into it
Cargo Cult: Shoot'n'Loot VR - Good for a few mins but got a bit boring/repeitive. Uninstalled
Jupiteration - Same as above. Space Pirate Trainer is a much better alternative for this style of game. Uninstalled
Mars Odyssey - Seems pretty interesting, did the first couple of 'missions' - Will go back to it
Beach Bowling Dream VR - Worst of the package imo, 1 bowling lane and as far as I could see, this was it. Uninstalled
Copter and Sky - Couldn't get controls sorted out, no motion controller support. Will go back and fiddle with it at a later stage.
I Hate Santa - Interesting concept using your head as the controller, got a bit repeitive though after a short period of time. Uninstalled

All in all, the pack is a bit rubbish..the highlights are easily SVRVIVE & Mars Odyssey, so I think its still worth the admission price to pick up those 2

definitely the highlights are SVRVIVE and Mars Odyssey. The price is worth it for SVRVIVE alone as it is more expensive if you buy it standalone on Steam.

Zalusithix

So HTC is making a standalone Daydream VR device (with inside out positional tracking) under the Vive branding. Guess that's what those rumors were back a ways.

Edit:
screen_shot_2017-05-17_at_11.46.13_am_575px.png

Edit 2: To be clear, this isn't an HTC initiative, and other companies will also have standalone Daydream VR devices such as Lenovo. I just find the diversification of the Vive brand interesting.

Road to VR article here.

Edit 3: Better picture:
htc-vive-daydream-standalone-headset.jpg

Possible hint to how a future Vive headstrap system would look like

So HTC is making a standalone Daydream VR device (with inside out positional tracking) under the Vive branding. Guess that's what those rumors were back a ways.

I hope this doesn't cause too much brand confusion. Vive is currently synonymous with SteamVR (a big mistake on Valve's part IMO)

Zalusithix

I hope this doesn't cause too much brand confusion. Vive is currently synonymous with SteamVR (a big mistake on Valve's part IMO)

Not really, the Rift can use OpenVR. Vive is known for lighthouse tracking and having a collaboration with Valve though.That's due to change in the future as well when more lighthouse based gear makes it to the market.

ArtHands

Maybe HTC will call it HTC Vive Daydream or some other name to distinguish it from the HTC Vive.

ArtHands

Mortal Blitz just got greenlit on steam greenlight

Releasing this year for pc over Steam

cakefoo

Speaking of greenlit projects, the VR mod for Half Life 2 was approved. These are the same people who made the mod for the DK2 and Razer Hydra.

Durante

Hope you're not sick of people popping into this thread to ask, but...any news on a Vive successor?
Recently, HTC made a statement that they would only release a new version when there were sufficiently revolutionary improvements possible, or something to that effect.
It doesn't sound like it's coming this year.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
its only been out a year so no nothing yet maybe well get small updates like the wireless adapter packed in but i wouldnt get on the gen 2 band wagon for a few more years

ArtHands

The mobile standalone vr headset is coming end of this year too, so i dont expect any vive 2 release in eArly 2018 too

Zalusithix

The mobile standalone vr headset is coming end of this year too, so i dont expect any vive 2 release in eArly 2018 too

Not the same market demographic. The vast majority of existing Vive owners and people looking for high end PCVR aren't going to buy the Daydream unit. Cannibalization of sales would be nearly non-existent.

Conductor was great, it's super short, but the price is fair (less than 10 bucks). The ending came out of nowhere but I can't say I didn't enjoy the game in it's entirety...

Felt like a small indi alternative Half Life 2 in parts, I would buy more of this stuff for sure!

chekhonte

Damn Vorpx is a HUGE disappointment. Everything feels so claustrophobic because of the tiny FOV. Oh well. I wish I would have just bought some vr games with the money.

Cartman86

Banned
Valve just announced what appears to essentially be a complete revamp of the default non-game space for SteamVR. It's social and everything. Was really hoping they would do this. Makes zero sense to me for things like this to be separate apps or whatever. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, so maybe it is a separate app? It will be out today though.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1256913672017157095

1cecb6e93ac9069b3fd59cfdb7210595a21e965f.png

Today we are updating SteamVR with a new home experience that is richer, more interactive, and more social than the existing launch area. SteamVR Home is currently in beta and will appear for everyone who opts in to SteamVR Beta.

Ever since SteamVR was released last year, we've been steadily adding ways to customize the launch area (where players start when starting up SteamVR). It's been exciting to see the creativity of the community in the diverse environments and backgrounds submitted to the SteamVR Workshop so far. We've also heard loud and clear that creators want the ability to make more detailed home environments, with sound, animation, interaction, and social elements. All of these features and more are now available with the new SteamVR Home update.
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/250820/announcements/steamvr_home/steamvr_environments.webm?v=1

Richer, customizable environments
Environments can now be higher resolution and support animation, sound, games, and interactivity. Players can teleport around and explore any of the hundreds of environments created by the community. In addition, players can customize and save their environment with props and drawings, then set it as their default home space.
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/250820/announcements/steamvr_home/steamvr_multiplayer.webm?v=1

Socialize with friends
SteamVR Home has social functions built in, making it easier than ever to connect to friends and other players. Invite friends to join you in your home space, or open any environment up to friends or the public. Voice chat with other players, interact with tools and props, and explore different SteamVR environments with others.
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/250820/announcements/steamvr_home/steamvr_avatar.webm?v=1

Customize your avatar
Choose your avatar's head and accessorize it with wearables and props. Additional avatars and wearables can be found by completing quests in other SteamVR environments.
f2146a094792b0d0d11857e30bd7320e2cbdf3f8.png

Quick links
The default home space includes quick links to your most recently launched VR applications, your Friends list, and open Public or Private rooms. Creators will also have access to these panels and can embed them into any environments they create.

SteamVR Workshop
All existing SteamVR backgrounds and environments are being updated today and will still be available for use. Once updated, players will be able to move around, customize the environment, and invite their friends. The hand customization workshop is under active development and will be available soon.

Creators can use SteamVR Workshop Tools to create and submit environments. This application is accessible in the Tools section of the Steam Library. To learn more about how to get started creating an environment from 3D models or photogrammetry, visit the SteamVR Workshop Wiki.

Destinations
If the content of this update seems familiar, good eye! The core functionality for this update comes from one of our other VR applications - Destinations. To learn more about what's happening with Destinations, see this post.

We believe these updates will improve the SteamVR experience for all players. Let us know what you think in the discussion boards.

ArtHands

Not the same market demographic. The vast majority of existing Vive owners and people looking for high end PCVR aren't going to buy the Daydream unit. Cannibalization of sales would be nearly non-existent.

I believe they will stagger their product launch to focus on one product at a time.

Zalusithix

Damn Vorpx is a HUGE disappointment. Everything feels so claustrophobic because of the tiny FOV. Oh well. I wish I would have just bought some vr games with the money.

Yep, I don't think anybody here would have recommended VorpX between the ass backwards order/licensing system to the mediocre at best results after tweaking the hell of of any given game's settings, it's just not a good buy. Back when VR games were extremely limited you could barely recommend it, but these days? Unless you have a specific game you absolutely want in psuedo-VR, it's a waste of time and money.

Durante

Valve just announced what appears to essentially be a complete revamp of the default non-game space for SteamVR. It's social and everything. Was really hoping they would do this. Makes zero sense to me for things like this to be separate apps or whatever. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, so maybe it is a separate app? It will be out today though.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1256913672017157095
Destinations with multiple people was surprisingly fun (and polished in terms of featureset/interactions), so I'm not surprised they are basing this on that technology.

Anyway, nice update, but the true story is that you can now change the supersampling factor without restarting SteamVR ;)

Is it a mod or somewhere in the settings?
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

jwc13ac

Hey all!

New Vive guy here. Just night one from a fellow gaffer, works like a charm!

I had a PSVR, loved it, but solid it because I could get my money back + tip at the time.plus the tracking was less than stellar.

I haven't put a lot of time into Vive yet, but this is Exactly the VR I wanted.

Looking for specific game recomnations, on psvr i had job Simulator, Thumper, and the VR worlds.

I LOVED thumper (bought again on PC, sale at humble)

But I was looking for some flying games.

Space, air, birdman, whatever. what is the best of the best?

Also I have Project cars and dirt rally, these any good? Haven't tried them yet.

Wallach

Dirt Rally is intense, but pretty amazing. Play with a wheel if possible (and be ready to take a break if it kicks your ass physically). Project CARS is a bit easier to handle and is a great experience but pretty sim-esque so I don't think it has as much universal appeal, especially if you don't have access to a wheel.

I'm not sure if it counts as the kind of flying you're thinking of, but in that context I'd consider trying Windlands. Eagle Flight is also supposed to be kind of cool but I never got around to trying it.

Make sure to check out some of the really good stuff though like Space Pirate Trainer, Raw Data and Audioshield. Call of the Starseed was also a pretty good experience I thought, but maybe not for everyone. Also look into Revive so you can get your hands on some of the Oculus-exclusive stuff like Superhot VR (a must-play game IMO), though that should be hitting Steam for the Vive port sometime this year. There's some other stuff also on the Oculus store worth playing like Robo Recall and Wilson's Heart that if they are up and running via Revive are worth checking out.

vermadas

This is nice. SteamVR has always felt kind of clunky with just BPM slapped onto a virtual screen.

This is nice. SteamVR has always felt kind of clunky with just BPM slapped onto a virtual screen.

I like the 3d holodeck environment, don't really wanna change it. I wonder If that becomes incompatible with Steam VR Home? Doesn't it have to load more stuff, takes longer to be ready and takes up more resources than the regular environments? Destinations itself isn't very quick with loading?

derFeef

I hope it's seperate, I like how fast and small the current VR launcher is.
Also I don't know anyone with a Vive within my friends group and I never understand these social palces to begin with ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom