• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The games in that bundle are really hanky but kinda awesome. Sky jac is great. I think the dialogue is just the same guy talking to himself back and forth.

derFeef

I tried Fruit Ninja VR last night, heh. it kinda is light on options and modes, but it looks and plays great. Nice game to zone out. I would recommend that for a fiver, but not for 15$.

RedRum

Banned
Hey guys. I have an issue. Not sure how to fix.

When I am am at the steam library menu, it seems to be glitched. The "selection" sound is constant and even though I point my clicker at some of the icons, it seems to flicker on and off it. I have to keep clicking the trigger to find the sweet spot on it. The steam dashboard is def glitched for me.

Fixed: Apparently, if you had a HOTAS (Stick and Throttle, controllers) plugged in another USB then it screws it up.

aaaaa0

I want a vive tracker so I can stick it on my keyboard, so I can see it in VR. I also want a mouse with tracking sensors. (Not sure how that would work since your hand will obscure them but maybe there's a solution.)

Zalusithix

I want a vive tracker so I can stick it on my keyboard, so I can see it in VR. I also want a mouse with tracking sensors. (Not sure how that would work since your hand will obscure them but maybe there's a solution.)

You'd just place the tracking sensors offset from where your hand is. Could even make the virtual mouse only show the held part and not the sensor area. Only downside would be the mouse being longer than it otherwise would be, but there's nothing you can do about that. Well I suppose if your hand was tracked, you could have the sensors embedded into the mouse, and when they're obscured assume that the mouse is in the hand.

Moondrop

Banned
You'd just place the tracking sensors offset from where your hand is. Could even make the virtual mouse only show the held part and not the sensor area. Only downside would be the mouse being longer than it otherwise would be, but there's nothing you can do about that. Well I suppose if your hand was tracked, you could have the sensors embedded into the mouse, and when they're obscured assume that the mouse is in the hand.
You could offset the tracker vertically with a rod, and then program in the height of the rod.

Zalusithix

You could offset the tracker vertically with a rod, and then program in the height of the rod.

You'd still need to offset the sensor unit off to the front of the mouse unless the rod is supposed to pierce your hand. While you could save some space to the front by bringing it up and back over the mouse, then you're making it so when the hand goes down to the mouse it can hit the sensor array, and it'd also shift the center of gravity higher making the mouse more unstable in general.

Moondrop

Banned
You'd still need to offset the sensor unit off to the front of the mouse unless the rod is supposed to pierce your hand. While you could save some space to the front by bringing it up and back over the mouse, then you're making it so when the hand goes down to the mouse it can hit the sensor array, and it'd also shift the center of gravity higher making the mouse more unstable in general.
Well, the rod could go a fair way toward the center if you put it between your index and middle fingers. Sure it would be unsuitable for FPS gaming, but I believe it would hold for web browsing. Just a thought.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Pavlov VR just released a significant update that adds the completed second map Sand map (formerly known as SNDMap) , workshop support for custom maps, 5v5 and a change of server providers.

Hello!

Major update is finally here!

New Map
First Search and destroy map is fully added, there's been some major changes for balancing reasons. I hope you enjoy this as much as i did making it!

Workshop (Custom Maps)
Aside from the new map i've worked really hard on getting custom map support as early as possible. The reception has been overwhelming and there's already maps ready to download and play. i'm so grateful to have such dedicated community members. Many thanks to you guys!

If you're interested in making custom maps, take a look here http://wiki.pavlov-vr.com/index.php/Getting_Started also join discord if you're having issues.

5vs5
For a better S&D experience player cap has been increased to 10 players per server. It's fun, i'll leave it like that

New Servers
I've migrated to another provider, please let me know how this servers feel like or/and if you're having issues connecting, lagging, etc, etc.

Patch Notes

- 5vs5
- New map
- Added workshop (custom maps)
- Ping display
- New Dedicated Servers

Zalusithix

Well, the rod could go a fair way toward the center if you put it between your index and middle fingers. Sure it would be unsuitable for FPS gaming, but I believe it would hold for web browsing. Just a thought.

You'd be going in blind to the device; you can't see your hand or finger positions, and fine adjustments have to be made after contact.

cakefoo

Or simply rely on the external camera for object recognition. No bulky, ugly $100 trackers necessary.

TPCast is out in China, right? Have we heard any impressions from actual users?

I've seen a few translated impressions talked about on Reddit. Seems mostly positive though there are some that mention it getting overly compressed or losing signal over time. I do remember seeing one direct reply from someone in China who was really positive on it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
TPCast is out in China, right? Have we heard any impressions from actual users?

yah there are some impressions. Generally its ok, but they noticed that the audio quality is lower. Also there are some minor artifact-like green/black problem in the corner when in black/white environment (I am not exactly sure what they mean) but they are rather negligible.The users have feedback to the TPCAST guys and they will fix the issue for subsequent batches.

They also said the battery is not proprietary and you can just use some battery power bank as spares. The battery bank that comes with the TPCAST last about 4 hours so you can just get another one with the same capacity and that's more than enough. Set up is pretty easy too according to them.

I've seen a few translated impressions talked about on Reddit. Seems mostly positive though there are some that mention it getting overly compressed or losing signal over time. I do remember seeing one direct reply from someone in China who was really positive on it.

yah there are some impressions. Generally its ok, but they noticed that the audio quality is lower. Also there are some minor artifact-like green/black problem in the corner when in black/white environment (I am not exactly sure what they mean) but they are rather negligible.The users have feedback to the TPCAST guys and they will fix the issue for subsequent batches.

They also said the battery is not proprietary and you can just use some battery power bank as spares. The battery bank that comes with the TPCAST last about 4 hours so you can just get another one with the same capacity and that's more than enough. Set up is pretty easy too according to them.

Hm, some of those problems sound a bit troubling, especially the audio quality. Definitely not something I'm going to preorder as it stands now.

Hm, some of those problems sound a bit troubling, especially the audio quality. Definitely not something I'm going to preorder as it stands now.
Someone on Steam got one and is talking about it. TLDR: Having some issues running in Direct mode so he's running in Extended. May or may not be TPCast related. Router definitely needs to be placed high and unobstructed. Otherwise, totally fine other than some latency every once in a while, but could be because of Extended mode (which adds latency).

Here's the other direct reply on Reddit from a different person:

OK, I am one of the Chinese Vivers who have received the TPCast wireless kit recently. Here's some thoughts after using it for about half a day.
Setting up: Took me about 20 minutes to put everything in place, but my vive didn't turn on in the beginning and I spent another 30 minutes to reboot and re-plug all the wires until it finally works properly. I'm using a USB wireless network adapter to connect to internet, and I find that I need to unplug it before I boot up the TPCast, otherwise it won't work. But I can plug the network adapter back on and connect to internet when the TPCast is up and running.

Graphics and Latency: I've played Arizona Sunshine and Trickster VR for 1~2 hours, and I can hardly tell the difference between a tethered VIVE and a wireless one. BUT when I press the headset really hard on my face to get the widest FOV, I can see a green line at the very edge on the right side, and many other user have report the same problem.
Sound: The sound quality from the headset output is noticeably down-graded. You don't even need very good ears to tell the difference. Though I tend to forget about the lower quality sound in game, I really hope TPCast can do something to improve the sound quality.

Signal: I put the transmitter beside one of my light house facing my 2.5x2.5 play area, and the signal is fine all the time, no lags or any graphic effects. The picture would froze only when I cover the whole receiver with both hands, and return to normal in a second when I take my hands away.

Overall Thought: WIRELESS VR IS GREAT!!! I can never go back to those tethered days!!! I NEED a BIGGER house!!!

That what I can think of for now, and if you want to know any other things just let me know.

Updates #1:
Tried switching between 44.1K and 48K as TPCAST website recommended, didn't feel any changes, still low quality sound. So I think wireless earphones are way to go if you want high quality sound. Still hoping TPCAST can solve this, otherwise the vive deluxe audio strap will only be a deluxe strap because it uses sound output from the headset.

Hot swapping battery, which turn out to be no so "hot" as I expected. For now, you can pull the battery off from battery case directly during usage, and of course the headset would completely turn off, then you can put the new battery back on, the whole system would take 2~3 minutes to recover(which might fail sometimes), after that you can continue to play. So I guess it's not a good idea to do that in game.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/68l38y/any_chinese_tpcast_consumer_reviews_out_there_yet/

Zalusithix

Downgraded audio of all things. That's not something I would have expected given how easy it is to transmit audio in comparison to video. Hell, that could be streamed on a separate band like general wifi with zero compression. Really strange.

The green line thing doesn't seem like it would affect me as I don't use thin aftermarket foam interface to increase my FoV beyond the default.

Tain

I got nice wireless headphones nowadays so I might be fine ignoring the audio altogether.

The impressions don't have a concrete battery life figure, just that the user played for "1-2 hours". If this thing can consistently deliver 2 hours of life that's awesome, but I need to hear more. Shame it takes so long to recover from a battery swap, but maybe that's solvable with SteamVR updates?

Perhaps the delay is to address those issues?

The one released in China is definitely not the final version they're planning on releasing elsewhere. They've said as much. Who knows how much improved the "final" version will be though. I know one of the things they mentioned was wanting to replace the router part (not the relay) with something smaller like a USB dongle.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I got nice wireless headphones nowadays so I might be fine ignoring the audio altogether.

The impressions don't have a concrete battery life figure, just that the user played for "1-2 hours". If this thing can consistently deliver 2 hours of life that's awesome, but I need to hear more. Shame it takes so long to recover from a battery swap, but maybe that's solvable with SteamVR updates?

Most of them said it last about 4 to 6 hours

Perhaps the delay is to address those issues?

Its due to the FCC clearance, but i dont see any reason why they wouldnt use the waiting time to fix the problem before manufacturing the supplies for current and future batches.

China is the only country to have it but they didnt ship it to countries that doesnt require the clearance too, so it seems they are intentionally limiting their sales only to China to have them test out the TPCast first, fix the problem then ship out globally

Downgraded audio of all things. That's not something I would have expected given how easy it is to transmit audio in comparison to video. Hell, that could be streamed on a separate band like general wifi with zero compression. Really strange.

The green line thing doesn't seem like it would affect me as I don't use thin aftermarket foam interface to increase my FoV beyond the default.

The low audio quality is a dealbreaker for me, external wireless headphones would alleviate this problem but that's another investment on top, again. Don't like it!

-
Omnipulse - Pulsating haptic skin

Let's get creative... what could be build to make use of this technology in VR?

Durante

I'm still waiting for a way to order the deluxe audio strap other than from HTC directly. I hope the situation improves after the official release date.

C_ap6EaUwAEX3Zo.jpg

deadfolk

Up until now I've had my monitor connected via DVI so the lone HDMI on my 1080 is free for the Vive. However, it's time to switch over to HDMI for the monitor.

What cable do I need to attach the Vive via one of (what I assume is) the display port sockets? I seem to remember there were issues early on.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Up until now I've had my monitor connected via DVI so the lone HDMI on my 1080 is free for the Vive. However, it's time to switch over to HDMI for the monitor.

What cable do I need to attach the Vive via one of (what I assume is) the display port sockets? I seem to remember there were issues early on.

DP->Mini DP, there where issues with the first drivers released for 1080 but thats been fixed (I use displayport for my 1080 without any issues)

What is everyone's expectations for E3? Any predictions?

Predictions:

• Nothing Vive specific
  • Nothing or very little Oculus specific
  • A few new PSVR game and/or compatibility announcements
  • Scorpio VR details announced (likely compatible with Windows HMDs)
  • Bethesda shows off Fallout 4 VR and maybe another project (Doom VR?)

SimplexPL

DP->Mini DP, there where issues with the first drivers released for 1080 but thats been fixed (I use displayport for my 1080 without any issues)
I bought mini DP-dp cable to connect vive to PC and VIVE HDMI audio device randomly disappears until I replug the cable. Happens all the time.

catabarez

Are there any gamechanging improvements in the current revision of the Vive? I'm considering buying a used one if there isn't much of a difference.

Zalusithix

Are there any gamechanging improvements in the current revision of the Vive? I'm considering buying a used one if there isn't much of a difference.

No, the only real differences are a few grams of weight savings and a round 3 in one cable vs a 3 part ribbon cable. Oh, and the newer one comes in a smaller box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom