• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

Somnid

I do not understand this board sometimes. Everybody blasts Nintendo for not being sony/Microsoft but when they blast Nintendo for doing something sony or Microsoft would do they get blasted anyway.

Nobody remembers how the only high quality audio that came from the ps3 required your receiver to support something specific that not all did?

Also Could this be a limitation of having to stream audio to 2 screens at once? I would think having to stream optical out to a receiver, hdmi to a tv, and audio to the controller all at once would require a lot of power.

Maybe that's why they didn't include it?

It's about licensing. Linear PCM doesn't require Nintendo to pay a licensing fee to get 7.1 surround. 5.1 PCM doesn't work over optical, it doesn't have the bandwidth so there's no point having that port unless you're doing Dolby/DTS which require licensing fees. Nintendo also removed Dolby Pro Logic support for the same reason. Now why they can't output stereo via RCA and video over HDMI is not an answerable question, it's probably an oversight or something that wasn't a priority for launch.

LosDaddie

Banned
So....when I get my Wii U eventually, should I just use the Wii component cables? Do Wii U games have native 5.1 audio?

I know my Samsung HDTV supports 1080p through component. So that's not an issue.

Zoe

Component cables should work on current TV's for now, but be wary of the analog sunset--manufacturers are due to phase out 1080p over component before long.

LosDaddie

Banned
Component cables should work on current TV's for now, but be wary of the analog sunset--manufacturers are due to phase out 1080p over component before long.

The analog sunset was in Dec 2010, IIRC. Most TV (and AVR) manu's have already started phasing analog inputs out. And most haven't allowed 1080p via component for years. I think Samsung is the only one to still allow it.

It was funny seeing the new AVR models (that we install) come out early this year with 1 maybe 2 component inputs. Even the high-end models. My new Samsung LED only has 1 compononent input and 3x HDMI.

mclem

At some point I really need to knock up a quick checklist of all the ports I'm using on my Marantz, then I can get some sort of an idea as to what sort of spec I want to upgrade to. It's worth doing, anyway, since it should get me 5.1 out of my laptop, too.

I do not understand this board sometimes. Everybody blasts Nintendo for not being sony/Microsoft but when they blast Nintendo for doing something sony or Microsoft would do they get blasted anyway.

Nobody remembers how the only high quality audio that came from the ps3 required your receiver to support something specific that not all did?

What? Neither Sony nor Microsoft removed legacy audio support to support new higher quality standards. Your PS3 example makes no sense because even though the PS3 offered uncompressed audio on some games, and for Blu Ray movies, they still let you use stereo, pro logic, dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1. That's not what Nintendo did here and they're getting slammed for good reason.

jimi_dini

I'm pretty sure Wii settings menu had Mono/Stereo/Surround. Will check at home to be 100% sure.

Just checked.
First page - Wii settings menu: "sound" with "mono", "stereo" and "surround" option.

Everyone remembers Orange Box on PS3.
What do you say? It didn't have surround sound? No, sir. It had surround sound. BUT IT ONLY SUPPORTED LPCM 5.1. That's why most people thought it had no surround sound.

Erasus

1. Nobody remembers how the only high quality audio that came from the ps3 required your receiver to support something specific that not all did?

2. Also Could this be a limitation of having to stream audio to 2 screens at once? I would think having to stream optical out to a receiver, hdmi to a tv, and audio to the controller all at once would require a lot of power.

Maybe that's why they didn't include it?

1. Back home the ps3 is connected to a reciver that only does DD & DTS 5.1 via optical. Works fine on ps3! It still let you do surround, and split the audio, and in plenty of formats

2. The WiiU has a dsp for this reason? Audio processing.

What? Neither Sony nor Microsoft removed legacy audio support to support new higher quality standards. Your PS3 example makes no sense because even though the PS3 offered uncompressed audio on some games, and for Blu Ray movies, they still let you use stereo, pro logic, dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1. That's not what Nintendo did here and they're getting slammed for good reason.
Yeah, both have been quite good in their surround support this gen. Hell, MS even made DD support mandatory from day 1.

Been stuck using the gamepad for sound because I use a projector, its not unusable but I can't see doing that long term.

Just ordered this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L14WB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hopefully it all works out.

Update: It was delivered an hour ago, I hooked it up and it works. Only stereo but I knew that going in. I had to change the Wii U back to stereo because when I was testing ZombiU I noticed I was missing sounds I was hearing while using the pad for sound. But after the change its all good.

So in the end I dropped $50 to get sound through my system, but I dont have faith in this getting fixed by Nintendo anytime soon so it's worth it to me.

Sanctuary

Update: It was delivered an hour ago, I hooked it up and it works. Only stereo but I knew that going in. I had to change the Wii U back to stereo because when I was testing ZombiU I noticed I was missing sounds I was hearing while using the pad for sound. But after the change its all good.

So in the end I dropped $50 to get sound through my system, but I dont have faith in this getting fixed by Nintendo anytime soon so it's worth it to me.

I had the same problem with the missing sounds until switching back to stereo. I didn't realize until last night that the Wii U does not support anything other than 5.1 PCM over HDMI, so no DAC that can handle DTS/DD sources from an optical input will do anything with the Wii U audio. So unless you can use a receiver with HDMI inputs, as well as always having speakers active (or a receiver with DH and SC tech), you aren't getting a HT or pseduo HT experience with Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema. You're literally going to get the same sound that you had with Wii component connected to your TV set and using the TV's optical out for 2ch stereo.

Foxix Von

I had the same problem with the missing sounds until switching back to stereo. I didn't realize until last night that the Wii U does not support anything other than 5.1 PCM over HDMI, so no DAC that can handle DTS/DD sources from an optical input will do anything with the Wii U audio. So unless you can use a receiver with HDMI inputs, as well as always having speakers active (or a receiver with DH and SC tech), you aren't getting a HT or pseduo HT experience with Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema. You're literally going to get the same sound that you had with Wii component connected to your TV set and using the TV's optical out for 2ch stereo.

Yeah it's kind of a problem =/ there's been a lot of people in here clamoring for a title change including myself. It's really something that people should know about and the lack of optical out isn't what's actually being discussed in here. I wonder what would happen if someone started a new thread?

Yeah it's kind of a problem =/ there's been a lot of people in here clamoring for a title change including myself. It's really something that people should know about and the lack of optical out isn't what's actually being discussed in here. I wonder what would happen if someone started a new thread?
You could create a new thread.

Hmm, I suspect most modern receivers support this PCM thing? I was already WAY overdue for a new receiver (sort of, as mine still works, but the lack of HDMI is becoming increasingly annoying). I might bite if Newegg has something great on sale for Black Friday stuff.

Sanctuary

I have a pretty good home theatre setup. The problem is, where I am currently living I can't actually ever use it and have had to rely on headphone sources that supply Dolby Headphone (which is something my receiver doesn't actually do). This has not been an issue for movies or the PS3/360 and I didn't think it would be a problem with the Wii U. Yet again Nintendo offers one thing, but skimps on the other.

I'm okay with this though I suppose. What will however have me crying a river of salty tears is if the new Sony/Micro$oft systems decide to copy Nintendo again, and actually decide to omit the optical outs this time in favor of being "totally modern".

Foxix Von

I have a pretty good home theatre setup. The problem is, where I am currently living I can't actually ever use it and have had to rely on headphone sources that supply Dolby Headphone (which is something my receiver doesn't actually do). This has not been an issue for movies or the PS3/360 and I didn't think it would be a problem with the Wii U. Yet again Nintendo offers one thing, but skimps on the other.

I'm okay with this though I suppose. What will however have me crying a river of salty tears is if the new Sony/Micro$oft systems decide to copy Nintendo again, and actually decide to omit the optical outs this time in favor of being "totally modern".

I think it's highly unlikely. Both will probably support DVD/blu-ray playback and as such they're probably going to have enough output methods to accommodate the various audio codecs.

I've created a FAQ thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500865

Let me know if I've got any information wrong and I'll updated it.

Excellent!

MCD

And piss off headphones companies? Not happening.

Sanctuary

And piss off headphones companies? Not happening.

I don't really get your point. Eventually SPDIF/Optical will be completely phased out; it just doesn't really need to be at this point in time. When was the last time you plugged a regular set of headphones directly into the back of a console (if you're talking about USB/Optical head sets)? They are slowly introducing standalone HDMI headphone packages as well, and over the next ten years that will probably become the new standard. So maybe I'm just thinking too far ahead, and it won't be the next gen consoles that anyone would have to worry about, but the gen after.

HDMI 1.3 is superior in every possible way when it comes to audio output. It's just that it's a relatively newer technology that most people can't fully utilize yet. Just like going from standard to HDTV; and to a lesser extent how most TV shows that are in "HD" still do not broadcast in 1080p.

netBuff

HDMI 1.3 is superior in every possible way when it comes to audio output. It's just that it's a relatively newer technology that most people can't fully utilize yet. Just like going from standard to HDTV; and to a lesser extent how most TV shows that are in "HD" still do not broadcast in 1080p.

Unfortunately, HDMI is also a horrible protocol that is hard to implement and has terrible licensing requirements due to the fact that the film industry is paranoid about piracy (not that it prevented it in any way).

Seeing the popularity of Astro or Turtle Beach headsets, I'm pretty sure a great many people plug their headphones directly into their consoles. Unfortunately, most receivers headphone ports are terrible (even receivers with headphone Surround support like Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema) and even more unsuitable for high-impedance headhpones.

I, personally, connect my 360 and PS3 to an Astro Mixamp using an optical switch, after that feed the audio into a Fiio E09k headphone amp that is connected to Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones.

MCD

I dunno man...

I didn't see any Astro, Razer, Steelseries and whatever else in a HDMI flavored headset.

It's optical everywhere.

Sanctuary

Unfortunately, HDMI is also a horrible protocol that is hard to implement and has terrible licensing requirements due to the fact that the film industry was paranoid about piracy (not that it prevented it in any way).

I figured someone would mention this (I did not forget). I was strictly speaking in terms of audio quality however, not really about it's current implementation; which I agree is shoddy right now.

I dunno man...

I didn't see any Astro, Razer, Steelseries and whatever else in a HDMI flavored headset.

It's optical everywhere.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the current headsets. What I'm saying is that those headsets were not always around, and eventually they will update to the HDMI format. I'm also not sure that Sony/Micro$oft actually give a shit about what headphone companies are doing when deciding on how they want their hardware to look. You don't design a system around third party items. Third parties build around what you've designed. Usually.

MCD

I will welcome HDMI powered headsets with open arms but until then I am sticking to what we have now.

Top Bottom