• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

schick85 said:
If you know someone that has a different region console or something you could attatch your HDD to it and try it out. I also edited that last post. I seemed a little insincere in it.

Yeah, I'll try it with my US and Japanese accounts. Worst part of all is that I already have Mass Effect.

New Goal: 1000 point Mass Effect.

welcome our new digitial download overlords?

MS is crazy if they think this is gonna take off......hopefully we can chalk this up as their first (failed) experiment in the full-on DD arena.

A message from me to the other 25+ million 360 owners....."don't fuck this up for the rest of us and buy these"

nolookjones said:
will never use a service like this unless its at least 30% off retail

Which I think will never happen. Right now, they say selling it cheaper pisses off retailer partners so they have to keep price same (and in rip-off cases even more) as retail. Imagine if digital distribution is the only way you can buy games from tomorrow, companies will still sell it for full price tag. They will say, it would have cost much more if it was retail game.

Companies will rather fuck consumers and make more profit than passing any cost savings to customers.

Rlan

MSP Aus pricing:

Bioshock - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Call of Duty 2 - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Mass Effect - $99.95AUD / 6000MSP
Oblivion - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Viva Pianta - $29.95AUD / 1800MSP

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

dfyb

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Wow, these prices are absolutely ridiculous.

360 Games on Demand and Avatar Marketplace are nothing more than social experiments to see how many people don't value their money.
hey, it's worked great for them so far.

dfyb

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
They are priced like that for the convenience factor. Sure, I can get a six pack of beer at the grocery store for $6.99 and drive there, wait in line, drive all the way back... or I can walk out of the door in my PJ's and walk around the corner to the liquor store and get a six pack for $9.99. Personally, I'm willing to pay for convenience but not in this case but I bet there are a lot of folks that will.
it is cheaper for them to distribute digitally, so the savings should pass to the consumer with lower prices. lower prices should increase sales, resulting in a mutual benefit.

Rlan

dfyb said:
it is cheaper for them to distribute digitally, so the savings should pass to the consumer with lower prices. lower prices should increase sales, resulting in a mutual benefit.

There's this thing called retail. And another thing called bitching.

Same reason the PSP Go! is so expensive.

Rlan said:
MSP Aus pricing:

Bioshock - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP Roughly same as retail, but now there's a 2K double with Oblivion for this price
Call of Duty 2 - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP lol, but then again, you can't really find this title anymore
Mass Effect - $99.95AUD / 6000MSP MASSIVE lol. I bought this for $65 a week after it came out
Oblivion - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP see Bioshock
Viva Pianta - $29.95AUD / 1800MSP About right. I THINK you can find it for $15-$20

Yeah, should be cheaper across the board.

GoD has failed.

Kujo

Rlan said:
MSP Aus pricing:

Bioshock - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Call of Duty 2 - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Mass Effect - $99.95AUD / 6000MSP
Oblivion - $49.95AUD / 3000MSP
Viva Pianta - $29.95AUD / 1800MSP

What the fuck is this?

Just a quick look at GAME's website...

Mass Effect - AU$29
Viva Pinata - AU$19
Bioshock and Oblivion bundle - AU$49

Couldn't find CoD2, but EB Games are selling PO copies for AU$19.

dfyb

Banned
Peronthious said:

yeah, but i was just pointing out how stupid it is to justify "convenience fees." hence me replying with a quote to another post.

also, retail's influence will fall as digital downloads are more mainstream. the DD winner is the one who runs the fastest without tripping.

Parham

Banned
Rlan said:
Bioshock - $45.98AUD at JB Hifi (or as a double pack with Oblivion for $49 at Game.com.au)
Call of Duty 2 - Only available preowned - $19.95AUD at EBGames
Mass Effect - $29.95AUD at Game.com.au
Oblivion - $45.98AUD at JB Hifi (or as a double pack with Oblivion for $49 at Game.com.au)
Viva Pinata - $19.00AUD at Game.com.au. Pinata 2 is already $29.95 at Game.com.au

Oh my, that is pretty bad. Who would honestly buy a digital copy of Mass Effect for $70AUD more than retail?

I'm actually pretty bummed by some of these prices. I'm not one to believe that digital downloads should be cheaper. I would be happy if they were the exact same price as retail. The fact that some of these games are more expensive to download than they are to buy in a store is unfortunate. I was going to buy several of these games as soon as they became available, but now I won't be.

Man oh man. In 10 years, im really really going to miss the days when i could get a good year old game i missed for 15 bucks in a bargain bin.

a Master Ninja said:
Is it wrong for us to "one star" a good game that has a bad price?

I think this is what we should do, it's really the only feedback method available to us through Xbox Live, we could make some noise on the preview program forums as well I guess.

dfyb said:
it is cheaper for them to distribute digitally, so the savings should pass to the shareholders. consumers wlll pay the same old prices. lower expenses should increase profits, resulting in a happy board of directors.
fixed.

Conflict NZ said:
I think this is what we should do, it's really the only feedback method available to us through Xbox Live, we could make some noise on the preview program forums as well I guess.
hopefully this will deter those without knowledge away from a purchase

honeycut1

Neo Member
This is bullshit. Why pay $10 more for a digital copy that puts more limits on how I can use the game.

I was hoping the games would at least the same price as retail or even some what cheaper.

honeycut1 said:
This is bullshit. Why pay $10 more for a digital copy that puts more limits on how I can use the game.

I was hoping the games would at least the same price as retail or even some what cheaper.

Your profile says you live in the US. In the US the prices for DD are the exact same as the retail prices for the same games.

Was talking to a mate who works at EB who bought up a really valid point. After a year 360 and ps3 game sales shift drastically in favour of used copies, to the point where 95% of sales after that period of time are used. Therefore Microsoft should be competing with used sales with these old games and not retail price.

OldJadedGamer said:
Your profile says you live in the US. In the US the prices for DD are the exact same as the retail prices for the same games.

well not all of them....Call of Duty 2 costs $29.99 on XBL GoD while you can even grab CoD2 GotY edition for $12.99 used at Gamestop

Chrange

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
well not all of them....Call of Duty 2 costs $29.99 on XBL GoD while you can even grab CoD2 GotY edition for $12.99 used at Gamestop

You're comparing a new price to a used price? Seriously?

Amazon's 'buy new' price for CoD2 is $35. The used price starts at $6, why not shoot for that instead? :lol

Hunahan

Banned
So is there any way to game the region lock system with this?

IE - using a Japan gamertag and JP Points card on a NA/EU system?

.....if they could figure out a way to let me DD those Cave shmups, I'd be all over this shit, prices or no.

Chrange said:
You're comparing a new price to a used price? Seriously?

Amazon's 'buy new' price for CoD2 is $35. The used price starts at $6, why not shoot for that instead? :lol

I just did the used price because when I searched for Call of Duty 2 on Gamestop website it didn't list any prices for new games. And also, why not use used game prices......there's no differentiation between new and used with DD

but yeah, if I really wanted to make it look bad I shoulda just went with that Amazon used price you just quoted.

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Maybe the MSRP, but not the street price. These prices are LOL.

Welcome to the world of digital distribution where you get less and pay more.

Also nothing ever goes on sale because the word "overstock" isn't in our vocabulary. But we will occasionally throw you a bone in the form of a 5 year old game sold at double the price it would be if a retailer could afford to have it taking up shelf space.

ENJOY!

Also FUCK YOU EBAY!

NZNova

NZ pricing. 6000 space bucks for Mass Effect. You gotta be shitting me.

k9yohu.png

PSGames

Peronthious said:

But if these are platinum hit titles than retail isn't making much off them anyway. I say fuck retail when it comes to these older titles and price them at no more than $20 MAX.

PSGames

Conflict NZ said:

This is an excellent idea.

NZNova

How big is the download for Mass Effect? I'll just use half of my 20 gig monthly allowance to download it and store it on my lovely cheap 120 gig 360 hard drive...

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
NZNova said:
How big is the download for Mass Effect? I'll just use half of my 20 gig monthly allowance to download it and store it on my lovely cheap 120 gig 360 hard drive...
Mass Effect is 6.83gb

DeadGzuz said:
Maybe the MSRP, but not the street price. These prices are LOL.

He didn't say street price in his post. Again, I have yet to see someone give me a link to a retail site where they are selling these games as new for less than what is up on the site. The OP says "way over retail".

I'm not saying it's right and I personally won't buy any of them myself but I'm just being logical here and want to know where people are seeing all these new prices on these games for so cheap.

OldJadedGamer said:
He didn't say street price in his post. Again, I have yet to see someone give me a link to a retail site where they are selling these games as new for less than what is up on the site. The OP says "way over retail".

I'm not saying it's right and I personally won't buy any of them myself but I'm just being logical here and want to know where people are seeing all these new prices on these games for so cheap.

As long as COD2 is on there for 30USD then there is something seriously wrong.

xbhaskarx

MikeE21286 said:
And also, why not use used game prices......there's no differentiation between new and used with DD

but yeah, if I really wanted to make it look bad I shoulda just went with that Amazon used price you just quoted.

blank_facepalm_224.gif

The price for CoD2 new on Amazon is currently $34.49. Games on Demand has it for $30.

You really think they should base it on used game prices from Amazon? Someone could go on Amazon right now and list a used copy of CoD2 for 1 cent. So then Games on Demand should only charge 1 cent?

xbhaskarx

__DreamVsPS2__ said:
$15 new from newegg.

Look I'm not suggesting anyone buy CoD2 for $30, but I'm guessing Microsoft are basing their prices on how much these games go for new on Amazon, and at stores like Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.
If anyone wants to buy a used copy for $5, they can always do that.
If anyone wants to get a much better deal on a new copy from newegg, they can always do that.

xbhaskarx said:
Look I'm not suggesting anyone buy CoD2 for $30, but I'm guessing Microsoft are basing their prices on how much these games go for new on Amazon, and at stores like Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.
If anyone wants to buy a used copy for $5, they can always do that.
If anyone wants to get a much better deal on a new copy from newegg, they can always do that.

hold on, are you saying that cod 2 at $30 isnt overpriced?

Top Bottom