• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories coming to the west this Fall

hatchx

Banned
I'm really impressed they pulled this game off on the 3DS, it looks beautiful.

Are there any impressions from the Japanese release? It didn't sell as well as MH typically does so I'm rather curious.

NeonZ

Some parts of it, yes. For the sword iirc you have to win an online multiplayer battle so it depends on luck, I guess. if you get matched with someone who only just got out of the tutorial, you can get it early and it's a decent sword.

Epona and the outfit have to be obtained by clearing a tournament mode which is impossible if you aren't high leveled and/or highly skilled.

I think the Majora's mask is unlocked by clearing a sidequest which wasn't too difficult iirc but I was already halfway the story.

Thanks. It was kind of annoying in MH4U at least, since the tunic was only obtainable from one of the hardest high ranking online quests, and yet it still was just high rank equipment, so it was immediately rendered obsolete by G Ranking quests and equipment (In fact, I beat some G ranking monsters before finishing that quest...). At least the sword did have a G Rank version, so it wasn't immediately obsolete.

Geddy

On the one hand, I love that the 3DS isn't going anywhere. However, I can't help but wish all these cool new games came to the Switch. Particularly this one - the larger screen can only benefit the gameplay.

Something like Hey! Pikmin and Ever Oasis might do better as a pocket-handheld game, while I can't see the average person carrying around a Switch in their oversized back pocket, because we're not in the mid-1990s.

13ruce

Banned
Hmmm hard decision wait out for this or Ever Oasis.

I love monster hunter and turn based looks cool + there is Zelda dlc.
Ever Oasis the demo was cool but i did not like the combat that much.

I can however buy the other somewhere in 2k18.

My (Japanese) amiibo can't wait!

Yeah. I would guess at this point Capcom isn't bringing the Amiibo over but that box art in the OP has Amiibo on it.

Are there going to keep support in and expect players to just import the Amiibos if they want them? Or will they do like Box Boy and let any Amiibo content be available through other means in the Western releases?

Shiggy

Yeah. I would guess at this point Capcom isn't bringing the Amiibo over but that box art in the OP has Amiibo on it.

Interesting, the European boxart doesn't:
91hJz3XuoyL._SL1500_.jpg

shmoglish

Sorry for the stupid question, but what makes it different compared to the mainseries? I guess it is more storyfocused (it has a story)?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Would it be ok for someone relatively new to Monster Hunter?
Certainly, but I wouldn't treat it as an entryway for hardcore Monster Hunting since this a complete departure from the traditional games. If you want to like the monsters, it's great though.

Glass Rebel

I really wanna get this but I feel like it might be too shallow since it's aimed at kids. Any impressions on the combat system?

Eolz

Still baffled and ultra salty that they decide to localize this instead of XX. And it will probably bomb...

Capcom didn't want to localize that game that (relatively) bombed in Japan, while Nintendo saw a cool RPG appealing for several different audiences.
They probably thought like everyone that Capcom would bring XX to the West...

Shiggy

CAPcom didn't want to localize that game that (relatively) bombed in Japan, while Nintendo saw a cool RPG appealing for several different audiences.
They probably thought like everyone that Capcom would bring XX to the West...

Capcom is bringing MH Stories to Europe, is it NoA localising and publishing it in North America?

Still baffled and ultra salty that they decide to localize this instead of XX. And it will probably bomb...

So would probably XX.

Hope they didn't remove support completely...
or my imported Amiibos will be boxed forever :(

The boxart implies it's been removed completely as there's no amiibo logo in the top right corner.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Capcom is bringing MH Stories to Europe, is it NoA localising and publishing it in North America?

So would probably XX.

The boxart implies it's been removed completely as there's no amiibo logo in the top right corner.

I can't see why MHXX on switch would bomb in the west
Really

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Can't wait, just wish Pokaradon was in it.
Please put this dude in the main series too Capcom! Walrus monster is way more interesting than another dragon guy.

The story of the anime is really nice. It's somewhat about the conflicts between riders (people who care about the monsters) and hunters. Who is right and who is wrong?

I'm excited because it's an open world game and you can tame monsters and fight with them. It's a huge fan service really.

I can't see why MHXX on switch would bomb in the west
Really

Me neither.

such an interesting strategy to expand to "new" audience when at the same time giving a big middle finger to the one that made you live for the past 5 years.

Well, enough said about that. I still have to make my mind wether or not I buy it on the jap e shop.

edit : and this is off topic, sorry

Fiendcode

Yes, NOA is localizing and publishing in NA. Surprised NOE isn't for PAL, are you sure?

So would probably XX.
Slim chance of that. Generations did 900k in the west and a western Switch release would likely be a huge seller plus those potential 900k 3DS owners upgrading.

NA boxart still has the amiibo logo fwiw.

kubus

Shouldn't the OP be updated with the release date and revised boxart (amiibo logo removed)? This thread is from April :p

Or open a new thread... New news, new thread, right? Not sure what's the best way to proceed now, but not everyone reads every post so I can imagine some people coming in here and not realizing this thread is old and the real news is that we have an actual release date now.

Top Bottom