• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

All games indirectly compete for the same dollars, but that's not as much of an issue. All games compete for advertising directly. Therefore, competing in Fall means either Ubisoft pays more for ads or shows fewer ads at worse times.

Not only that, but will Ubisoft be willing to pay premium for those scarce ad spots?

Having worked at Gamestop, I can tell you right now that even in the unlikely event Ubisoft elects to aggressively advertise Rayman this September, retail outlets might not be swayed, because, in the end, it's about which ads will bring the most customers through the doors, and it isn't Rayman. This September will be predominately GTA5 and Madden 14. Everything else will be fighting for scraps.

6yG5Std.jpg

(I would 'shop a bone onto it but have no skills)

I love how he's still got the suit on. Couldn't even go a little casual, and just take off the jacket.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't doubt that they are likely to sell more by holding the game until it get release across all platforms, but I think it is very short-sighted. One, it pisses off a lot of Wii U customers and damages the company's goodwill with this group. Two, it hurts Nintendo and their effort to build-up a userbase this Spring/Summer. Its in Ubisoft interests that Wii U be successful.

FatCat

Count me in on the people saying they won't be buying this game when it launches in Q3.

February was perfect timing, with nothing to buy on Wii U right now, if it isn't bought. September will be full of games accross all platforms, I won't have the time or money in September.

Really bad move in my opinion, and a delay for the Wii U version is not justified.

Boulayman

All games indirectly compete for the same dollars, but that's not as much of an issue. All games compete for advertising directly. Therefore, competing in Fall means either Ubisoft pays more for ads or shows fewer ads at worse times.

The advertizing side I can entirely see now that you mention it

they dun goofed (with the WiiU delay). unequivocally

and if it was because MS would refuse to let it come out on their console if it came out earlier in the year on another plat, than that is just one of the many things fucked up and wrong about the console market right now

I don't understand how releasing the Wii U version first would hurt the release of the other versions. Unless they don't want to split the marketing bill. This is literally the perfect time to release a Wii U game, they have nothing else to play.

Boulayman

Do you think people will spend 60 dollars on GTA and another 60 dollars on Rayman in the same period? Look at Epic Mickey 2, the game was released in a bunch of platforms and sold less than the first game.

Hmm no, it's that I don't think that the people buying rayman and the people buying GTA are the same crowd. It's called counter programing I think. They do it a lot in the movies. If you have some huge blockbuster coming out, program an art house movie or something similar at the same time, everybody else is afraid of the big blockbuster so there is less competition and people who don't want to watch that blockbuster will have little choice but to watch your alternative. As for epic mickey 2 that is a different situation, the first one had a lot of hype behind it,, with the whole warren spector return angle and epic mickey 2 had bad reviews more than anything. Had nothing to do with the multiplat. When the game is good, going multiplat never really hurts, FF XIII was the best selling game of the history of the franchise and dark souls sales have been very good as well. It's the delay that is problematic here, not the multiplat move.

Boulayman

I don't understand how releasing the Wii U version first would hurt the release of the other versions. Unless they don't want to split the marketing bill. This is literally the perfect time to release a Wii U game, they have nothing else to play.

My understanding is marketing + the Microsoft situation. But yah given how starved for games the wii U userbase is right now, it's still odd.

Cool =) I understand that people can be frustrated, but comments like that Miiverse post crosses the line by a lot. The game isnt even canceled, people get to play the game eventually.

Exactly. I'm pissed, but not death threat-level pissed.

Besides, my tax return came today so I took the occasion to drown my sorrows by buying Tekken on the eShop :-D

Should be finished downloading any day now.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wii U hardware sales are anemic and software sales are nearly completely flatlined. There isn't a lot of momentum right now. Based on Yves quotes yesterday, it seems like their expectation is that after Nintendo releases a few titles, it'll kick a little life into the Wii U. People will be more active with the system and looking for more content. So, let NIntendo breathe a little life into it and hopefully software sales will pick up by September.

And I think the GTA comments are completely unfounded.
It's an entirely different audience that plays GTA and wants Rayman. A few hundred GAF 'buy everything' gamers aside, there will be very little loss there. Especially with Wii U players. Anything they pick up incrementally on Xbox and PS3 will outweigh the amount of consumers who are forced between 'choosing' one over the other and only going with GTA. Did anyone hear actually think that one through?

And yea, totally agree on the marketing spend concern. Since Nintendo is not contributing marketing money now, it's better ROI to hold off and concentrate Ubi's (Likely limited) spend to one time period.

(there, topline strategy walk thru )

Wii U hardware sales are anemic and software sales are nearly completely flatlined. There isn't a lot of momentum right now. Based on Yves quotes yesterday, it seems like their expectation is that after Nintendo releases a few titles, it'll kick a little life into the Wii U. People will be more active with the system and looking for more content. So, let NIntendo breathe a little life into it and hopefully software sales will pick up by September.

It's an entirely different audience that plays GTA and wants Rayman. A few hundred GAF 'buy everything' gamers aside, there will be very little loss there. Especially with Wii U players. Anything they pick up incrementally on Xbox and PS3 will outweigh the amount of consumers who are forced between 'choosing' one over the other and only going with GTA. Did anyone hear actually think that one through?
GTA steals advertising space and tv spots. Pokemon steals advertising and TV spots. Those very Wii U titles that will breathe life into the platform will steal advertising space and TV spots. Rayman will get lost in the crowd and most likely sell worse on Wii U then it could have now.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
GTA steals advertising space and tv spots. Pokemon steals advertising and TV spots. Those very Wii U titles that will breathe life into the platform will steal advertising space and TV spots. Rayman will get lost in the crowd and most likely sell worse on Wii U then it could have now.

Have you ever bought TV before?

guek

Banned

And yea, totally agree on the marketing spend concern. Since Nintendo is not contributing marketing money now, it's better ROI to hold off and concentrate Ubi's (Likely limited) spend to one time period.

Makes sense, even though I personally disagree with the decision. It makes me wonder whether they would have situated it closer to pikmin3 if pikmin actually had a firm release date.

Boulayman

Source?

I seriously, seriously doubt that

Well their PR when the game came out stuck in my mind (http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-breaks-franchise) so that's what I thought was still the case. I just did a quick google search but it seems it slowed down quite a bit after. Best I could find is this: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games where it sits at number 4 but I have no idea how reliable this vgsales thingie is. I wouldn't really trust them but well best I could find quickly. If I was still in my sales age mode of a few years ago, I'd research it more but meh. I'd be quite interested though in comparing the installed based of the ps3 +360 when FF XIII came out as opposed to that of the ps2 when FF X came out or the ps1 for FF VII and VIII if someone is more inclined to do the research than me.

Have you ever bought TV before?
No, but common sense says the more people competing for a resource ( in this case, advertisements to air during a specific show or set of shows ) the more you pay. Nintendo's titles are far more of a concern for the children's show demographic. GTA will be shown on shows like you see on Spike as well as big primetime shows for all ages which Ill admit it isnt likely for Rayman advertisements to be there.

With that said, I've visited more than a few gamestops in my time, and I find the retail advertising space to be rather limited. Along with that, I've rarely if ever had a gamestop clerk recommend a version of a game on a Nintendo platform unless its exclusive. That lack of promotion will kill at least the Wii U sales.

In which case, you're hoping for the ports to make up for lost Wii U sales and the extra 7 months of development time.

Pyronite

This thread is one big pile of "I know better than you"

They are by definition declarative statements without support or reason. Glad we're in agreement.

Uh - his reason was that the Wii U sales outlook was reduced by 1.5 million one week prior to the shift being publicly announced.

Hero

So even Ubisoft PR isn't trying to hide the fact that the Wii U version is ready.

They are by definition declarative statements without support or reason. Glad we're in agreement.

Usually what he does.

It's not just GTA, although that's the biggest one, there's going to be a lot more titles in that time period. This same logic you're producing here is probably similar to what they used to justify Rayman Origins launching in November.

Boulayman

I did a very quick comparison based on that dubious website I quoted earlier ( if you have better sources, please correct the numbers with that, I remember from back when I followed sales closely I would do my own excel sheets and use the neogaf sales threads but well I'm too old for this shit now)

- when FF X came out, there were 117.89 millions ps2 sold worldwide
- Around the time, when FF XIII came out, generous estimate there were 39.2 ps3s and 44.6 xbox 360 sold worldwide ( I am giving it an extra few months) so 83.8 millions total

Quick calculations show that the installed base FF XIII was selling on was 71 % the one FF X was selling on. Based on that website whose validity I know nothing about, the FF XIII sales ended up being exactly 67.1 % of the FF X ones. Ergo virtually identical to the difference in install bases.

Dude, your currency is all off. All those numbers need to be converted to reality before we can interpret them.

Also, if that "dubious site" is what I think it is then delete and bail out quick.

Boulayman

Yah I agree overall but I still think that from a pure marketing pov the benefits from having pretty much zero competition on the Wii U at the moment will outweight the costs of having to advertize twice. All the more so given that the existence of the game itself for months on the Wii U when it comes out later and its very likely very positive reception from critics will help the subsequent marketing push in september for the ps360 versions. Just add some extra stuff on the ps360 versions and people won't mind as much. Plus it allows for goodwill from Nintendo. Ubisoft is one of the very few third party devs that did ok during the wii years, and actually downright amazing for a few titles.. I think the Microsoft factor is the extra element that will justify their decision.

Don't you think that this exclusive could have picked up software sales. I think this game could have easily sold 1 mil copies by the time the xbox and ps3 version are released.

Marbles

I'd planned on up picked this up day 1 for the WiiU, so i'm kinda sad to hear about the delay. On the plus side, I'll no doubt be able to pick the Xbox version for much cheaper.

WiiU software (UK) is way over priced and the less said about the Eshop pricing the better.

evangd007

What about Pokemon X and Y? GTA is used as an example because its a known quantity to demonstrate that other stuff in general will be competing for dollars and attention in the fall.

Boulayman

Dude, your currency is all off. All those numbers need to be converted to reality before we can interpret them.

Also, if that "dubious site" is what I think it is then delete and bail out quick.

Yah I am quite worried about the banhammer about that, I remember from back when I was more active with sales that using some websites was an automatic ban but well I have been out of the loop for a long time and I genuinely don't know where the actually reliable info is to be found these days. All the more so since I only followed the Japan sales with media create and that other one whose name I can't remember and the actual yearly statements from the big threes to do my own calculations but well I don't know jack anymore.

That being said, he asked for my source about it and frankly I didn't have any, just some pr bs stuck in my brain and I then just wanted to make a point. I tried my best to show that I put very little faith in those numbers but well I guess I can't complain if I get banned :( But I won't hide lol just trying to have an educated convo with the applicable disclaimers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ubisoft reacted on Facebook:

Thanks for all your feedback regarding Rayman Legends in all of its forms. We have heard you and we will continue to listen. We understand your frustration and that you want to get your hands on the game.

We are working with the development team to provide you with a new, exclusive demo for the Wii U soon. Stay tuned for more.

What a joke. :))))
Wii U already has an exclusive demo. Ubisoft's PR people don't seem to be the smartest bunch.

I hope the second demo has 31 tries, to make it even funnier. :)))

Boulayman

Wii U already has an exclusive demo. Ubisoft's PR people doesn't seem to be the smartest bunch.

Lol, it's actually even more sad when you reread that dev comment

I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that shitty

He sounded quite fed up with making demos.

Wii U already has an exclusive demo. Ubisoft's PR people doesn't seem to be the smartest bunch.

Or 7 so we can play it once every month it was delayed.

Fuck this POS company. I feel so sorry for the devs. Might buy it used and send the devs 40 Euro worth of cake.

Wii U already has an exclusive demo. Ubisoft's PR people don't seem to be the smartest bunch.

To be fair, this move came from higher up and the PR and devs are trying to fan out the flames of that decision. Of course, now it means even more money will have to be spent on developing a demo and testing that it works.

If this is the case, why did they originally set Rayman Legends as a Launch title (or by Holidays 2012)? They knew there would be limited market penetration and yet they decided it would be an exclusive title. They had to see this coming when the sales didn't meet expectations through the Holidays and no new games were released. Why not announce it directly after New Year's? Point is, from the very start Ubisoft has goofed this entire situation significantly.

DarkNtity

Thanks for all your feedback regarding Rayman Legends in all of its forms. We have heard you and we will continue to listen. We understand your frustration and that you want to get your hands on the game.

We are working with the development team to provide you with a new, exclusive demo for the Wii U soon. Stay tuned for more.

Ubisoft must think their potential customers to be utterly stupid if they think this gesture will grant them good will. Such a classy insult.

Boulayman

Ubisoft must think their potential customers to be utterly stupid if they think this gesture will grant them good will. Such a classy insult.

Well, tbf at this point in time, what else can they do ? They are not going to retract that decision so it's either have extra content for the Wii U at release or do nothing. This move is actually the most logical for the time being since what mostly irks people is the delay so by giving a demo from their pov they are dealing with the delay by giving Wii U owners something to play in the meantime.

Pociask

Do you think it's feasible at this time to do a "soft launch" - say, an eShop only release of the game? Then later do a b&m release, with a big marketing push for all platforms?

mclem

I don't doubt that they are likely to sell more by holding the game until it get release across all platforms, but I think it is very short-sighted. One, it pisses off a lot of Wii U customers and damages the company's goodwill with this group. Two, it hurts Nintendo and their effort to build-up a userbase this Spring/Summer. Its in Ubisoft interests that Wii U be successful.

The message it's sending is that Ubisoft does not regard Wii U owners as important as 360 or PS3 owners; they're perfectly happy to take something away from the former (the imminent release) in order to be able to give something to the latter (a future release).

From a pure business standpoint, that's actually not too bad - the other userbases are far larger and so perhaps they ought to have more sway in decision-making - but the image it gives of Ubisoft's regard for the Wii U userbase is potentially damaging. Throughout the years, gamers have got very angry when a company implies that they aren't worth catering for, even though it's an ugly truth.

One cautionary tale I do have to flag up: I do suspect that we may be dangerously close to a situation where fans of AAA games aren't worth catering for. And if that happens, prepare for a monumental shitstorm.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I did a very quick comparison based on that dubious website I quoted earlier ( if you have better sources, please correct the numbers with that, I remember from back when I followed sales closely I would do my own excel sheets and use the neogaf sales threads but well I'm too old for this shit now)

Let's just establish this quickly -- even if you don't have a better source for sales numbers, you don't use VG Chartz. That's an absolute bright line here.

mclem

To be fair, there was someone in an earlier thread - I forget who - who was lamenting about the fact that he might well run out of demo tries before the game is released. This gives him a new lease of life!

Megatron

This seems simple enough to solve. The game is done, Nintendo has jack shit to offer their consumers. The obvious solution is for Nintendo to money hat Ubi to get them to release it now as a timed exclusive. I would bet a lot of money that Ubi petitioned Nintendo for exactly that, Nintendo refused, hence the delay.

Boulayman

Do you think it's feasible at this time to do a "soft launch" - say, an eShop only release of the game? Then later do a b&m release, with a big marketing push for all platforms?

That's an interesting and creative solution actually and might even be a good way to create buzz. Which leads me back to the one element that was imho lacking from his analysis, the Microsoft factor (http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/24/microsofts-not-keen-on-formerly-exclusive-psn-titles-hitting-xbl/)

'' “We’re a little biased, so obviously we’re going to look to protect our own space as best we can and get exclusivity. Whilst I can’t be specific about the terms and conditions, you can be very confident we seek to maximise our own advantage to ensure the playing field is even, and certainly plays to our advantage wherever possible.(...) Lewis said this is one of the reasons why a downloadable usually doesn’t receive a launch on Xbox Live Arcade it happened to be released via PlayStation Network first.''

If it happened to be released on the eshop first, I am guessing Microsoft wouldn't be too keen either.

Megatron

You thinks so?
September is already full of stuff and the way things are looking we might have at least one of the new consoles by then.

This move is just so bad it hurts, consumer confidence in Ubisoft will take a hit. I am pretty sure I will not get the game now as it comes when there is so much going on already, on top of that I was always on the edge of getting Assassins Creed 3 thanks to this move I think I have made my choice...

no, and it's not because of some "protest" i'm doing against Ubisoft, i'm just not going to have the money. way too many games coming out that i want more

First off, no, I don't think we'll have new consoles by September. They almost ALWAYS launch in November, don't see that changing, so you'll still have a 2 month cushion to buy Rayman.

Second, I think the month Rayman was targeting was just as strong and maybe stronger than September. Obviously we don't know what's coming in September for sure, apart from GTA, but Between Feb 19 and March 26, we have Metal Gear Rising Revengence, Crisis 3, Tomb Raider, Castlevania LOS: Mirror of Fate, God of War Accension, StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, Gears of War Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

All of that comes out in basically the same one month window that Rayman was coming out. If you had money to buy Rayman now, you'll have money to buy it in September, when apart from GTA, there probably won't be as much competition.

Robso

Sucks big time for the devs. I'm glad it's coming to PS3 and 360 but delaying the Wii U version is just poor from Ubisoft.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Second, I think the month Rayman was targeting was just as strong and maybe stronger than September. Obviously we don't know what's coming in September for sure, apart from GTA, but Between Feb 19 and March 26, we have Metal Gear Rising Revengence, Crisis 3, Tomb Raider, Castlevania LOS: Mirror of Fate, God of War Accension, StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, Gears of War Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

Really?

Top Bottom