• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst E3 moments?

Davey Cakes

People suggesting Nintendo 2009 are getting confused or something. Reveals of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS, even Wii Sports Resort looked cool in lieu of M+. And the completely left-field Metroid Other M reveal was totally ballsy and unexpected.
That's what I was thinking. 2009 was quite solid after the abysmal 2008 for Nintendo. 2010 was even better, and 2011 was only problematic because of a questionable Wii U reveal and the Zelda demo; it was otherwise a decent conference and showed promise for the 3DS.

But yeah, 2008's conference really hurt Nintendo. I'm pretty sure the company realized the mistake of focusing on Wii Music, thankfully.

Pirabear

Banned
James Cameron. At least hilarious stuff came out of $599, Wii Music, Kinect etc. Wasting an hour talking about Avatar? Not so much.

Jb

James Cameron. At least hilarious stuff came out of $599, Wii Music, Kinect etc. Wasting an hour talking about Avatar? Not so much.

It's really weird looking back at that trainwreck now that Avatar became the biggest movie ever. Back then I remember actually feeling bad for the guy.

Centurion

Banned
Wind waker reveal.

I lost my shit so much, I created an IGN account just to spew hate at how dumb nintendo was. Popped my forum cherry.

And yes, turns out I actually liked the game (fuck you triforce hunt).

Izick

Did someone say 1 million troops?

Wind waker reveal.

I lost my shit so much, I created an IGN account just to spew hate at how dumb nintendo was. Popped my forum cherry.

And yes, turns out I actually liked the game (fuck you triforce hunt).

Still the best Zelda game, although I admit I haven't played TP or SS.

MC Safety

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned Jaime Kennedy.

I was at that press conference, and he was drunk, or drugged, or both. He'd made no effort to memorize his lines, didn't bother with the teleprompter, and thought it would be funny to make virgin jokes to the audience.

Lord, was that ever awful.

Also, I attended a Disney press conference when they called two definitely non-plant audience members up on the stage and the whole thing turned into a dance number to promote High School Musical. As the "kids" went into the audience to implore the game journalists to get up and dance, Chris Slate (the current editor of Nintendo Power) whispered to me, "Keep your head down. Do NOT make eye contact." It was the only time I ever felt genuinely uncomfortable at E3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nintendo's 2003 E3 was fucking atrocious. 2008 was awful as well, but 2003 was something else entirely. The biggest, most important, "hyped" games they had were Pacman vs. and the port of Super Mario Bros. 3 for the GBA.

2008 was embarrassing on multiple levels, but at least they SOME legitimately good games that year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The reaction, mainly. The trailer was dumb, but the press reaction to the "grown up" Link (as was my understanding of the screaming, crying, and standing ovation) yuck.

That was fucking awesome, damn you. Don't be a commie. :mad:

It was so easy to tell 15 seconds in that this was another online title. The tone of the trailer, the generic adventure music, the generic heroes, the total non-focus on story. I was literally waiting for a flash and the appearance of the Online subtitle. Still, I agree, one of the worst moments in E3 conf history, lol.

The sudden drop from instant excitement to total disappointment/insta-betrayal was just...staggering. SE has really delivered the let-downs this gen. At least this time around, they've managed to keep expectations low with a really underwhelming line-up for their conference and past blunders to serve as reminders. (I still keep hoping they'll have some amazing surprises in store though. I never learn.) (T_T)

mr%20caffeine.gif
Came here to post this.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've always wondered why E3 conferences are mostly pretty terrible.

You'd think with all the money these people have they could find a good public speaker who isn't a complete ass.

Nintendo's Wii Music presentation was absolutely the biggest embarrassment of the past 15 years at E3.

A bunch of grown men blowing into their Wiimotes on stage like slobbering idiots.

BiggNife

That's what I was thinking. 2009 was quite solid after the abysmal 2008 for Nintendo. 2010 was even better, and 2011 was only problematic because of a questionable Wii U reveal and the Zelda demo; it was otherwise a decent conference and showed promise for the 3DS.

But yeah, 2008's conference really hurt Nintendo. I'm pretty sure the company realized the mistake of focusing on Wii Music, thankfully.
Yeah. 2008 was way, way worse than 2009. And regardless of what you think of Other M now, everyone was hyped as fuck when that announcement trailer was revealed. The Wii Music reveal was just embarrassing.

Sony 2006 is probably the conference that pissed me off the most because it single handedly made me go from planning to getting a PS3 on launch day to buying a Wii at launch instead.

Ubisoft 2010 and 2011 get (dis)honorable mentions.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm still stunned that people are comparing one goofy Wii Music demonstration with the slow motion trainwreck that was Sony 2006.

Roo

That guy that made a reveal/announcement and he stopped cuz he was expecting people to applaud but it was more like... mehh you suck dude *silence* and then he was like... "C'mon you bastards, aplaud for me"

Is there a vid for that? I have only seen that on gifs lol

Top Bottom