• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to go to join my friend for him to pick up his Switch and for me to try to gnab a Pro Controller without a preorder... Feeling super pumped and nostalgic!

So at the eve of the Nintendo Switch's launch, I am retiring my Wii U. It provided some good times and I'm pretty happy with it overall. Glad to see its successor, though, it was time.

I'm extraordinarily happy to say that I've beaten EVERY Wii U game I own, so I enjoyed my console to its fullest... and that means that I can finally have my definitive rankings for my entire collection.

So as I unplug my Wii U for the time being, every Wii U game I owned from best to worst... with their respective playtimes!

C59YWK-UwAAYmjp.jpg:large

So I say goodbye to my Wii U and hello to a Switch... tomorrow... whenever Amazon delivers... LETS GO

rec0ded1

For those that ordered botw for switch from best buy with instore pickup,were you able to pick it up today or were you told to wait till tomorrow?

Brannon

Elephant in the room; which of you will lick it.

The cartridge.

Dat Zelda.

Will you lick it?

Can you even resist the allure?

YOU WILL SAY NO... but one of you will do the deed in secret, and there is no shame in that.

I completely forgot about screen protectors-- I've typically applied them to all my devices put of habit except ones with larger screens. I also despise putting the damned things on.

Is it something I should grab at Best Buy tomorrow, or can I get by without worrying too much with just my case? I haven't read too much on the quality/durability of the screen. Thanks for any advice.

ggx2ac

The Game card is really tiny. Makes sense they made it taste bad because of kids.

The Game cases look neat, similar to PSP but thinner.

Does anybody know what the general way to do things at a Best Buy for a console launch? I have a preorder can I just show up at like 11:59 or should I get there at 11? I've never actually had a console preordered before.

Got my Switch at midnight in the UK and so far I'm really impressed with the actual hardware. Like, holy shit, Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the console. How do they pack so much into so little?

Nice clean OS, super speedy (compared to the complete misadventure that was the Wii U) and everything seems nice and easy to set up.

I really wasn't sold by the press conference they held, but now that I'm sat here with it in my hands I'm smitten.

Well done Nintendo.

Enjoy the launch everyone!

Peltz

Got my Switch at midnight in the UK and so far I'm really impressed with the actual hardware. Like, holy shit, Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the console. How do they pack so much into so little?

Nice clean OS, super speedy (compared to the complete misadventure that was the Wii U) and everything seems nice and easy to set up.

I really wasn't sold by the press conference they held, but now that I'm sat here with it in my hands I'm smitten.

Well done Nintendo.

Enjoy the launch everyone!

Yea, I'm pretty floored with the hardware itself. It's the best they've ever built.

Tek

I've been in the icu since Tuesday due to being dka, moved to a semi private room and should be discharged tomorrow. Glad I'm feeling so much better and looking forward to making some serious life changes so this never happens again.

Oh and to play Zelda and horizon finally too

I'm pretty unimpressed with the Joy-cons. Especially the strap which feels markedly cheaper than the rest of the controller. The buttons are very tiny, shallow and chiclet like. I guess that's part of the trade off for being so small though. As uncomfortable as I expected in terms of playing with a single Joycon. Surprisingly not because of the size though. But because of how close and akward the buttons are to the stick.

There is two gamestops in my city and I accidentally got a Pro Controller for site-to-store to the wrong one where all of my other stuff is at. The awesome guy at Gamestop told them to cancel it and he said they had one extra at the store where my Switch was at just in case and he gave it to me.

Was very thankful and pre-ordered a few games with him I know I'll get later as thanks.

Under three hours to go here in Minnesota!

one_kill

Questions:

1. Is the Switch in perpetual sleep mode? Can I turn it off?

2. Can eShop cards be used to buy games? Any word if existing funds for 3DS/WiiU can be transferred?

I called bestbuy just to see their procedures and he didnt inspire confidence. He said he can't guarantee stock people are lined up already I said well I ordered months ago and got a confirmation email for 03/03 so I should be fine right and he says "should be"

lol

wtf is this shit? They're supposed to hold your order for you until you come pick it up. That's pretty unprofessional of him to even say. The lady I talked to at my Best Buy went out of her way to assure me it would be held and I didn't even ask her about that.

Questions:

1. Is the Switch in perpetual sleep mode? Can I turn it off?

2. Can eShop cards be used to buy games? Any word if existing funds for 3DS/WiiU can be transferred?

You can turn it off by holding the power or home button and selecting power options the "power off" or something along those lines.

Yes! You can use eShop cards to add funds to the store. Not sure on whether balances are transferable though as I have no money in my Nintendo account

psyfi

Banned
I was gonna wait till tomorrow to pick it up from Best Buy... But man, my sleep schedule is already totally out of whack, I may as well go to the midnight launch. That means I have a 27 minute bike ride home -- Zelda hype is gonna make it more like 17 probably, haha.

Not sure if it's all ready been posted, but does anyone know how midnight launches work at Best Buy? I have my pre-order through them.

RowdyReverb

I was gonna wait till tomorrow to pick it up from Best Buy... But man, my sleep schedule is already totally out of whack, I may as well go to the midnight launch. That means I have a 27 minute bike ride home -- Zelda hype is gonna make it more like 17 probably, haha.
I'm tempted to get it at midnight from my local BB, but I have to work all day tomorrow anyway, so it will just be my post-work reward

psyfi

Banned
Not sure if it's all ready been posted, but does anyone know how midnight launches work at Best Buy? I have my pre-order through them.
Most stores just have folks line up. Pretty simple. Call your store to double check, though.

I'm tempted to get it at midnight from my local BB, but I have to work all day tomorrow anyway, so it will just be my post-work reward
Aw yeah, if I had work tomorrow I'd just wait till then too. Thankfully I don't though! Zelda allllll day and then party with some friends in the evening.
I'm not gonna pull a Karen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I didn't plan on getting one. In fact, I canceled my Neon Best Buy preorder. But I fell for the hype and got a Neon one tonight. Pumped!!

Upset the store didn't have any games. Gotta buy Zelda digitally.

Going to pick up my Neon Switch and special edition Zelda from Gamestop in about an hour and 20 minutes. The question is how do I get a Pro Controller within the next week or so? Any online orders expected to open back up?

psyfi

Banned
I didn't plan on getting one. In fact, I canceled my Neon Best Buy preorder. But I fell for the hype and got a Neon one tonight. Pumped!!

Upset the store didn't have any games. Gotta buy Zelda digitally.
That's pretty nuts that they ran out of games. You could wait till the morning and hit up a few stores... Might be just as fast as downloading + sleeping.

Khezu

Quick question, can I use any Lan Adapter for the switch?
My wireless router broke the other day and all I have is a wired connection right now.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I decided to buy a switch on impulse just for Zelda. I Didn't own the wii U as I thought it was worth the money.

I am surprised the switch doesn't support Bluetooth headphones. So disappointing.

I was also surprised at the minimal range of motion in the analogue sticks. To be honest they feel a little cheap when you move them around.

It will be nice to play Zelda again. I have a warm place in my heart for the series.

Not sure about the proportion of handheld to docked I will play. I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo doesn't boost the clocks of the switch while docked to ensure games run smoothly. Battery life isn't an issue while docked....

I'm in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom