• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton 2 Viral Marketing Bombshell: The Twitter Account Wasn't Real :(

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
Fine, fine. I am not gonna remove it though, that would make me a hypocrite. Let then Penny Arcade shop live in your quote and let's move on.
BrandNew said:
The guy was a fuck and a half, the worst sort of fanboy. From that stuuuuupid Iwata REENACTMENT VIDEO OMG SO FUNNY, to all the smart "hints" and "leaks" he "provided" us with. He was a tool thinking he was so special that he was a game journalist, but in reality he might as well have just worked for **********.

edit: see? even the word for the shit he does is banned. Go---Nintendo.
What did go ninty do wrong again? I've forgotten. Curious is all...

I knew this thread would get more interesting (hits/replies) after someone was banned.

Let's break it all down, shall we. The reason why others weren't banned was because they weren't being deceptive. JapanGAF, for the most part, isn't deceptive, they just have to brag about games YOU can't play yet, and when you do, your mileage may vary.

All that we ask for industry folk to be upfront about where they work, what they do, and if they are to talk about their game, they need to disclaim themselves. That's only fair to other colleagues and the rest of community.

At the same time, they shouldn't expect everyone to kiss their ass when the game, accessory, or service is released. For reference sake, see Denis Dyack.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
HUELEN10 said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2mdqxw9.png
Lulz?

33fc22g.jpg

Guled

Regulus Tera said:
Are you serious?

Like, seriously serious?
yes, I don't see why what he did was wrong. He was just a fan of a game series and created a twitter account to help promote it in a fun and interactive way. I mean its a lot better then then just creating a hype thread. I don't see why he should be banned just because he created a topic to bring it to our attention

HUELEN10 said:
Fine, fine. I am not gonna remove it though, that would make me a hypocrite.

Nothing really, other than being complete shills. At least with them they are upfront about it. This guy was just a fucking whack job.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WasabiKing said:
I knew this thread would get more interesting (hits/replies) after someone was banned.

Let's break it all down, shall we. The reason why others weren't banned was because they weren't being deceptive. JapanGAF, for the most part, isn't deceptive, they just have to brag about games YOU can't play yet, and when you do, your mileage may vary.

All that we ask for industry folk to be upfront about where they work, what they do, and if they are to talk about their game, they need to disclaim themselves. That's only fair to other colleagues and the rest of community.

At the same time, they shouldn't expect everyone to kiss their ass when the game, accessory, or service is released. For reference sake, see Denis Dyack.
Aw, you got rid of the bishoptl part before I could quote it. :(

Hah, I got a kick out of that too. :lol

HUELEN10

chubigans said:
Aw, you got rid of the bishoptl part before I could quote it. :(

Hah, I got a kick out of that too. :lol
Seriously though, as long as your honest from the start, and your methods are not underhanded, that's what matters. It shouldn't matter.
BrandNew said:
Nothing really, other than being complete shills. At least with them they are upfront about it.
Gotcha

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
Did you turn "Go Nintendo" into "Go Ninty"? Oi.

There was this one really annoying dude who kept posting horrible links from there. For some reason the site was banned instead of him. The website itself is pretty damn horrible, something I blame RMC being too nice on rejecting "news tips" more than anything. Maybe it's got better not but it was unbearable when I stopped visiting.

So what do I have to do to keep my GAF account? I love this place.
I don't want this mistake to cost me my internet love.
BEG for my forgiveness? I would be willing to.
I don't think people get how much I care for GAF.
I love GAF so much.
I love you all too much to not give you an answer.
I genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, apologize for the entire thing.
Really, I can't stress enough how much I care for GAF.
Seriously, what do I have to do to keep my account? I'm so upset at myself right now.
       /
nbeqkl.jpg

WasabiKing said:

So it's the fact he was fooling people into believing it was an official account that got him banned, not due to him trying to help advertise it, which MIGHT be alright after all (well, you didn't clearly say that...)? Am I reading that correctly?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
BrandNew said:
The guy was a fuck and a half, the worst sort of fanboy. From that stuuuuupid Iwata REENACTMENT VIDEO OMG SO FUNNY, to all the smart "hints" and "leaks" he "provided" us with. He was a tool thinking he was so special that he was a game journalist, but in reality he might as well have just worked for **********.

edit: see? even the word for the shit he does is banned. Go---Nintendo.

haha, i never said it was good, but it was sincere and probably took a lot of time. ihavent followed the twitter either but it seemed like enough gaffers were following it. how long did it go for?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
EmCeeGramr said:
       /
nbeqkl.jpg
I am going to miss Wii Will Rock U from the bottom of my heart.
There's so much about Will Will Rock U I will miss.
Really, I can't stress enough how much I care for Wii Will Rock U.
I don't think people get how much I care for Wii Will Rock U.
I love Wii Will Rock U.
I love Wii Will Rock U so much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
       /
nbeqkl.jpg

You can almost see the tears. It was really funny around when he realized he fucked up big time.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
looks like he deleted his tophatprofessor account on Twitter. next he'll be taking a sledgehammer to his own hard drive

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Danthrax said:
looks like he deleted his tophatprofessor account on Twitter. next he'll be taking a sledgehammer to his own hard drive
I think he did this before this topic was made, although I could be wrong.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Did you turn "Go Nintendo" into "Go Ninty"? Oi.

There was this one really annoying dude who kept posting horrible links from there. For some reason the site was banned instead of him. The website itself is pretty damn horrible, something I blame RMC being too nice on rejecting "news tips" more than anything. Maybe it's got better not but it was unbearable when I stopped visiting.

Eh, it has a reputation as a catch-all site for Nintendo news. That probably won't ever change.

I think he has gotten better on applying the RUMOR label to things, though.

HUELEN10

Andrex said:
That's a given, except for Bethany and her Wednesdays of doom....

Bethany's cool, but she re-posts old stuff, and lets rumors through.

pakkit said:
As a fan of Nintendo, I'd like to apologize for other fans of Nintendo.

As a fan of Layton, I'd like to apologize to other fans of Layton.

UltimateIke said:
Something about the order of those posts (and the sections selected from each) seems familiar... :p

Oh my God it's Plagiarism!!! Tar and feather EmCee!!!

HUELEN10 said:
That's a given, except for Bethany and her Wednesdays of doom....

Bethany's cool, but she re-posts old stuff, and lets rumors through.

Yep, she does that a lot. Not a much lately, at least I don't recall.

Undeux

I don't get it, why is anyone mad? Because the campaign isn't official and/or he didn't say he was running the twitters? He made something fun and entertaining and personally gained nothing for it, so why should anyone be mad?

Undeux said:
I don't get it, why is anyone mad? Because he isn't a nintendo employee and/or he didn't say he was running the twitters? He made something fun and entertaining and personally gained nothing for it, so why should anyone be mad?
Hey no need to repost comments from other users and use them as your own. You work for Gamepro?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh god, what a clusterfuck.

how could have he have thought this was a good idea!?

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Eh, it has a reputation as a catch-all site for Nintendo news. That probably won't ever change.

Meh, I have no clue. Last time I visited the site was late 2006 or early 2007 and it had gotten really bad. Nowadays most Nintendo information is snoozeworthy and I get all my stuff from GAF anyway. He is insanely fast with updates, but the catch-all site really hurts it imo. Too much useless content, but if it's better now more power to him.

Undeux

Cat in the Hat said:
Hey no need to repost comments from other users and use them as your own. You work for Gamepro?
Ouch? Sorry for wasting your time with apparently generic curiosity.

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
Meh, I have no clue. Last time I visited the site was late 2006 or early 2007 and it had gotten really bad. Nowadays most Nintendo information is snoozeworthy and I get all my stuff from GAF anyway. He is insanely fast with updates, but the catch-all site really hurts it imo. Too much useless content, but if it's better now more power to him.
Agreed. BTW, he has gotten better actually, but as you said, the "catch-all" still pulls it down a tad..

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
WasabiKing said:

Ok, this makes sense. I've sometimes wondered how fair the bannings were, but this is the right attiude to have, and I often dont know the whole story. Was wii will rock u a real 'journalist'...cuz when i saw it in this thread i read it in a joking way (ahem, jsnake). where does he work?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm surprised at how many people in this topic don't get it.

He wasn't banned for the twitter account. Or for "impersonating" Nintendo marketers.

He was banned for the GAF topic he made about the twitter account, where he said "Wow look at this sweet thing I found!" without disclosing that he himself was behind it.

Undeux said:
I don't get it, why is anyone mad? Because the campaign isn't official and/or he didn't say he was running the twitters? He made something fun and entertaining and personally gained nothing for it, so why should anyone be mad?

Read the thread. Understand the situation. Then post if you have something to contribute. Your questions were already answered multiple times, including on the same page you posted in.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bistromathics said:
Ok, this makes sense. I've sometimes wondered how fair the bannings were, but this is the right attiude to have, and I often dont know the whole story. Was wii will rock u a real 'journalist'...cuz when i saw it in this thread i read it in a joking way (ahem, jsnake). where does he work?

he's a writer for a small-time gaming site you haven't heard of (trust me)

GDJustin said:

He wasn't banned for the twitter account. Or for "impersonating" Nintendo marketers.

He was banned for the GAF topic he made about the twitter account, where he said "Wow look at this sweet thing I found!" without disclosing that he himself was behind it.

I'm starting to wonder if he did that, so that if it was a success, Nintendo would've gone "thanks man, we now honor you as an official Nintendo account", just for the glory or something, possibly with the game selling being secondary?

Why would he hide his identity otherwise? If people knew it was him, GAF especially would have known right away that it was far from official.

bistromathics said:
It'd be awesome if he was homeschooled and lived with his parents as well. :lol

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
he's a writer for a small-time gaming site you haven't heard of (trust me)
Even so, it's more than what a lot of people have. Just saying, that is if it was a real gig going on is all, nothing more...

Undeux

GDJustin said:

I understand that, but he also gained nothing. Didn't even have google ads on the pages or anything like that. Rules are rules, but damn.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
EmCeeGramr said:
       /
nbeqkl.jpg
oh man thats good. is this a meme i hadn't seen yet, or is this really the first one, cuz it is top notch forum-humor.

edit: o wait...looks like posts after point to meme. my post was for real by the way, i shoulda added some lol faces to dismiss any misconceptions of sarcasm =p

update:
UltimateIke said:
:mad: NEVER FORGET.

His .jpg doesn't make it that much better.
I'm sorry ike, i missed that post. Emcee, this reduces the humor greatly. the gif is good, but you've dropped from 10 :lol 's to maybe 1 :lol . Or just a regular "lol". Shame on you.

GDJustin

Undeux said:
I understand that, but he also gained nothing. Didn't even have google ads on the pages or anything like that. Rules are rules, but damn.

He lied to GAF in order to promote his product/project. Whether he "gained" something from it is immaterial. He violated GAF's cardinal rule.

Do you know how many times I've linked to a new project, or article, or something else I was working on? It's NEVER been a problem. In years. Because I've always just said "look at this thing I did."

Now, as for WHY he chose to conceal himself as the person behind the account... that only he can answer.

Regardless of his actions on GAF, and whether or not he should have been doing it in the first place... that was an awesome viral marketing stunt. Nintendo should have been the one to come up with it.

Masked Man

I said wow
EmCeeGramr said:
       /
nbeqkl.jpg

A while ago, I believe I mentioned how you were quickly becoming my favorite poster.

If you weren't already my favorite, this pretty much sealed the deal. :lol

GDJustin

Kobun Heat said:
Regardless of his actions on GAF, and whether or not he should have been doing it in the first place... that was an awesome viral marketing stunt. Nintendo should have been the one to come up with it.

I absolutely agree. It was genuinely fun solving Layton's riddles and just generally messing with him, the past couple weeks. I was follower #15 or something nuts. :D

Basically, TopHatProfessor = awesome.
WWRY promoting TopHatProfessor on GAF without revealing himself = super lame.

I wish someone would launch another Layton twitter so I could have more riddles to puzzle through. Maybe I'll make one.

Top Bottom