• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

AndyD

aka andydumi
This thread would get to 20k posts so quickly, most of which would be unique users, so you'd have to pay probably around $19 million.

I'd be much cheaper than that and create a thread giving away a $60 game to anyone that posts.

I see you've thought this through.

Audioboxer

Everyone knows what you would really do is instantly make EviLore an offer he couldn't refuse to buy NeoGAF, then turn around and ban every poster you don't like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Such as some of those posters in the new Twin Peaks thread saying it's garbage. It started a bit slow, okay, but it's still a masterpiece of Lynch fuckery. Yeah. Hope someone who likes Twin Peaks wins.

Crazy amount of money, and knowing the RNG of life whoever wins it will probably already be a millionaire YouTube millennial.

That's a lot of money. Never played before, but if the ticket money goes to schools and stuff one ticket couldn't hurt. If I win I'd be quite worried about my name being out there, if it's forced by NY.

Posting for the GAF winnings as well. :p

Khrno

I'll get a couple dollars worth of tickets. Why not at this point. If I win I'll fund one of those dream games GAF says will never happen.

You better also do a kickstarter, or the game will be made but you won't have enough for the marketing.

Sure. Still BS in my opinion, there's an obvious reason why they don't simply show the lower number, which is the number that'll actually matter to people imo.
I guess I'm just salty about the concept of taxing winnings.

It's the same reason why your employer pays you $65,000/year, but you take home $38,000/year. You're taxed on earnings.

Ottaro

Like, i know the odds of winning are astronomically small, but somebody wins eventually and their odds were never any better than mine would be, so... I cant help that my shitty situation makes me want to hope just a little bit.

It's the same reason why your employer pays you $65,000/year, but you take home $38,000/year. You're taxed on earnings.

I didn't earn lottery winnings though.
That's how it's handled over here. Winnings aren't earnings. Seems weird to treat them as such.
Guess it's a cultural difference.

Cruxist

Always grab a ticket or two when it's crazy high like this. The fun I get from daydreaming about what I'd do is usually worth it. Plus, who doesn't love those one in a zillion chances?

Personally, I hope nobody wins again. I love seeing it go higher and higher.

Audioboxer

Always grab a ticket or two when it's crazy high like this. The fun I get from daydreaming about what I'd do is usually worth it. Plus, who doesn't love those one in a zillion chances?

Your chances are probably higher than some of the current day lock/loot boxes.... yeah, kinda not joking.

Oxn

I hate it when its that high. Poor distribution of wealth.

I didn't earn lottery winnings though.
That's how it's handled over here. Winnings aren't earnings. Seems weird to treat them as such.
Guess it's a cultural difference.

In the US, it's internally consistent. You didn't earn an inheritance either, but inherited income is taxed (it used to be taxed at a higher rate than earned income, not sure what the rates are now). Of, if you buy $100 of the latest digital currency and it skyrockets to $40,000/coin, you didn't really earn that, but it's taxed as a short term capital gains income (or, some other form of currency trading investment).

The lottery is consistent with gameshows in the US. Like, Who Wants to be a Millionaire is really who wants to be a $565,000-aire. The $64,000 Question is really the $38,280 question. That Price is Right new car is really The Price is Right cash-equivalent because nobody can afford to hand over $9,200 in tax for the new car on the spot.

I hate it when its that high. Poor distribution of wealth.

Sadly, lottery winnings might be a greater distribution of wealth than typical CEO salary or corporate earnings at a company like Apple :D
Portions of every lottery ticket go directly to local services (usually schools, public works, roads), and then the winner pays a little less than 50% tax on the winnings, which goes into the typical tax system.

Lotteries are certainly a regressive tax but they're one of the easiest ways to make revenue, with virtually no political opposition.

In the US, it's internally consistent. You didn't earn an inheritance either, but inherited income is taxed (it used to be taxed at a higher rate than earned income, not sure what the rates are now). Of, if you buy $100 of the latest digital currency and it skyrockets to $40,000/coin, you didn't really earn that, but it's taxed as a short term capital gains income (or, some other form of currency trading investment).

The lottery is consistent with gameshows in the US. Like, Who Wants to be a Millionaire is really who wants to be a $565,000-aire. The $64,000 Question is really the $38,280 question. That Price is Right new car is really The Price is Right cash-equivalent because nobody can afford to hand over $9,200 in tax for the new car on the spot.

Huh.
That sound pretty terrible tbh. Especially the Price is Right thing.
Oh well.
I think I prefer everything being clear from the start, where a title about being a millionaire doesn't actually mean you'll be a millionaire*.

JettDash

Sadly, lottery winnings might be a greater distribution of wealth than typical CEO salary or corporate earnings at a company like Apple :D
Portions of every lottery ticket go directly to local services (usually schools, public works, roads), and then the winner pays a little less than 50% tax on the winnings, which goes into the typical tax system.

Only over like $5 million.

In a state that makes you do the whole dog and pony show in front of cameras

Such a toxic requirement

Will still get a ticket of course but whatever

A giant chunk of lottery profits in the state of Georgia goes to fund education (to the tune of 1.1 billion dollars in fiscal 2017), so I don't feel bad about being idiot taxed at all. I throw maybe 50 bucks at the lottery every year. It's fun to dream. Someone's gonna win it, why not me? Someone's also going to get a rare brain tumor, that might be me too. That one is less fun to dream about... maybe I could worm my way into a sympathy menage.

Yeah but how much has the state cut normal, non-lottery funding over the years? The lottery was sold as a boon for schools in most states but it was all pretty much bullshit.

vainya

Neo Member
How does the Powerball work? Illinois is broke af and isn't paying out their normal lottery. Is PB a compilation of states?

Yes, it's a multi state lottery. Someone in Illinois just won the huge Mega Millions Jackpot. The taxes on that alone should fund the state lottery. Of course that's not how it works but still...

yupdTXm.gif

Haha. Bravo!

Bandini

Dropped 20 on it. Just fun to think about what I'd do with all that money.

I wouldn't care much about people knowing I was rich. I don't have any problem telling moochers to stick it. The people that actually care about me would be taken care of.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bought a ticket. When I win I'll get everyone in this thread a $30 olive garden gift card so they can buy themselves a nice italian meal.

Think its crazy people buy more than 1 ticket. You aren't going to win but at least 1 ticket gives you a theoretical chance. I only buy a ticket when the jackpot is over 500 million. Go big or go home

Top Bottom