• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC asked 253 critics to determine the best comedies ever made. The results are...

Tagyhag

Heh, I knew as soon as I saw Some Like it Hot at #1 that a lot of people were going to hate this list.

Hot take: old movies aren't funny any more. Good luck laughing at anything before 1980.

You're missing out on a bunch of good movies. Mel Brooks at his best as well.

Steamlord

This thread is pretty disappointing considering the usual quality of film discussion on GAF. Movies have been around for well over a hundred years, people.

Z..

Rampant ignorance on full display... Yep, it's a gaf film thread alright.

Live that people are questioning the age of the critics.

considering the usual quality of film discussion on GAF.

This is a joke, right? Film threads on gaf are always a shitshow, this has got to be one the most tasteless hubs around in that regard...

13. To Be or Not To Be (Ernst Lubitsch, 1942)

Nice. Should be even higher, though. I am content.

This thread is pretty disappointing considering the usual quality of film discussion on GAF.
Au contraire my friend, this thread is actually a great example of the level of GAF's film discussion in OT.

BTails

They got number 1 right. Though I'm surprised at the lack of "The 40-Year Old Virgin". That movie is still one of the funniest movies ever, in my opinion. Maybe forgotten about since the formula was run into the ground by Apatow and company following its success..

Animal House and Ghostbusters far under Clueless?

giphy.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Very sad to see somebody use my favourite GIF against me

Jam, Blue Jam, Brass Eye are all light years ahead of Four Lions

You had it coming.

All those things are wonderful. Brasseye is the best comedy show ever, imo. Four Lions is wonderful in a different way though. It's apples and oranges to compare his absurdist and biting TV satire with what amounts to an (I think) unsettling character study on film.

Four Lions has more genuine pathos, humanity and outright cognitive dissonance than anything he's done before and (for me) cemented how much of a masterful comedy writer and storyteller he really is (I know he didn't write it alone).

I get your point about In The Loop though. I fucking love it though. Again, it's TV vs. Film.

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel, take a chill pill. You're the only person in this thread getting so worked up over this list of comedies 😂

American Psycho is absolutely a dark comedy and is full of memorable hilarious scenes.
It's a satire that would be closer to the horror category than comedy. It's portraying the warped mentalities of the 80's.

Eusis

By a massive stretch for me as well.
Same here, but maybe I need to rewatch Life of Brian now that I'm older.

And you motherfuckers saying "nothing good in the top ten" need to watch Dr. Strangelove. Easily one of the best comedies I've watched.

As much as I appreciate the anarchy of Holy Grail, I've found I prefer Life of Brian over time. It's an overall smarter film and cuts deep into topics that comedies tend to steer away from.

That is the universal opinion for most... But for some reason LoB is quite a bit more popular in the UK.

Same here, but maybe I need to rewatch Life of Brian now that I'm older.

And you motherfuckers saying "nothing good in the top ten" need to watch Dr. Strangelove. Easily one of the best comedies I've watched.

I saw Life of Brian recently actually and while I still think it's a fantastic film, Holy Grail still takes the cake for me. Then again, overall I prefer Flying Circus for Monty Python in the bigger picture.

List in itself isn't all that bad, even though something like Bridesmaids is way too high and shouldn't even be in the list. Lots of Mel Brooks is always a good thing.

I guess I'm the only one asking for Jim Carrey here. He ruled Hollywood comedies for more than a decade. If you think Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura are too childish, fine. But if When Harry Met Sally, Pulp Fiction and Groundhog Day (love them all) fit the bill, then the same can be said of The Truman Show, Man On The Moon and Eternal Sunshine.

Linkura

Was wondering where the hell The Big Lebowski was.... turns out it just missed the top 10. About 10 spaces too low on the list, but at least it's pretty high up there. Was ready to write a nasty post until I scrolled all the way and saw it.

That is the universal opinion for most... But for some reason LoB is quite a bit more popular in the UK.

They're both great but I slightly prefer Life of Brian as well. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a succession of (brilliant) sketches that are more or less stitched together semi-coherently and forced to make sense as a movie. Most of the actual narrative is actually explained in the animated segments. LoB is a lot more coherent overall imo.

Edit:
Also, I just realized that I might include Dead Alive / Braindead in my own top 10. Anybody on GAF with me or am I crazy?

Pyccko

The idea that someone would actually top Kek at Duck Soup or Jacque Tati stretches credulity. Seems like a cred measuring contest. Life of Brian and Some Like it Hot are genuinely deserved though. Pulp Fiction? Gtfo

but I kek at Tati and the Marx bros. on the reg. Tati is my favorite director ;_;

jman2050

Some Like It Hot is an amazing movie and Jack Lemmon is arguably at his best here. Also one of the best endings in movie history.

Definitely at least a defensible choice at number 1.

KingV

I'm surprised ghostbusters only showed up on 5 top 10s, but even more surprised that 3 of those were international critics.

One of my operating theories on how the list ended up how it ended up is that because the critics are international, films that had a universal or simple premise naturally fared better, because the central conceit of some films just may not translate well internationally.

That may be one of the reasons some like it got is seemingly on every list. The central plot idea is relatively simple, and universally easy to understand. Ghostbusters is really wrapped up in ideas of 80s USA, with its anti government, anti regulation themes. It might not resonate well to non-Americans. Similarly, Coming To America might not be funny to international audiences, in that it sort of pokes fun at people moving to the US.

Christianity (life of Brian), Absurdity of Nuclear War (Strangelove), and slapstick humour (Airplane) are all things I can see being easily relatable across cultural lines.

Biggest surprise in the top 10 to me is Spinal Tap. Great movie, and I think it deserves its spot, but I would think that not all audiences would "get it".

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Only one film made after I was born and still in diapers in the top 10. I haven't watched a single movie in that group, and yet I don't think they're going to be funnier than some of the stuff I've enjoyed.

I did find it surprising that despite the wide date range nothing Doris Day/Rock Hudson made it into the top 100. Maybe my parents are just the biggest fans of those movies ever because those are the older comedies I grew up with.

Peltz

My list:

10. Feris Bueller's Day Off
9. Office Space
8. Step Brothers
7. The Hangover
6. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
5. The 40 Year Old Virgin
4. Animal House
3. Dumb and Dumber
2. Pulp Fiction (And yes, this is a comedy. How the hell is it NOT a comedy?)
1. Airplane! (GOAT)'

Only one film made after I was born and still in diapers in the top 10. I haven't watched a single movie in that group, and yet I don't think they're going to be funnier than some of the stuff I've enjoyed.

Yo, see Airplane! My taste in comedies is up above. It's the best comedy ever made.

Jarmel

Banned
So a...

...horror comedy?
It's a horror satire that while having bits of dark comedy isn't comedic in nature. The ending and message throughout the film are fairly serious.

I do acknowledge though that some people probably view it as a comedy all the way through so I was wrong to dismiss that critic off that alone.

VanWinkle

Would definitely agree with Groundhog Day and Duck Soup. ABSOLUTE classics. Airplane is amazing but I'm not sure if it's a top 10 comedy or not. Naked Gun is a better movie.

WillyFive

Airplane! is among the funniest pieces of scripted material ever shot.

Lol best comedies for people who are over 65 more like it.

Good one.

I really like that top 10. Of course these list come down to opinion, and there are favourites of mine that missed the top 100. But that top 10 is very solid.

Duck Soup is a classic comedy and no one should dismiss it as simply a 'film from 1933.'

Attempting to rank comedy in the first place is a fucking fool's errand. It's way too subjective and dependent on being familiar with/part of the culture from the time and place it's made.

Like, I'm in my mid-30s, and I can safely say that I've never seen a comedy film from say, pre-70s that came even close to the degree of laughter I've gotten from most of my favorites (which are all pretty definitively from within my lifetime).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You mean people asking why garbage like Dodgeball or Pineapple Express isn't on the list? I won't even bother with that.

Just came into the thread and have seen these lobbied. Mother nature take us all now if those are examples of prime comedy in the eyes of the public.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My list:

10. Feris Bueller's Day Off
9. Office Space
8. Step Brothers
7. The Hangover
6. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
5. The 40 Year Old Virgin
4. Animal House
3. Dumb and Dumber
2. Pulp Fiction (And yes, this is a comedy. How the hell is it NOT a comedy?)
1. Airplane! (GOAT)'

Yo, see Airplane! My taste in comedies is up above. It's the best comedy ever made.

See I like 4 of the movies on your list a lot (5,6,7,8), so if you're saying this film is that good, I may actually check it out lol.

Top Bottom