• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note8 |OT| Bigger, Better, Less Flammable

Impulsor

I have the edge light bleed problem. I'm considering trading it in for a new unit or just a refund. Considering a case is going to be put on the phone, I wont notice this, but it does bother me.

the screen is perfect though, no dead/stuck pixels or coloration issues.

does that actually pose a threat to waterproofing?

BFIB

I have the edge light bleed problem. I'm considering trading it in for a new unit or just a refund. Considering a case is going to be put on the phone, I wont notice this, but it does bother me.

the screen is perfect though, no dead/stuck pixels or coloration issues.

does that actually pose a threat to waterproofing?
I don't think it's light bleed, but more of light refraction? It's weird because if I scroll a page, I can see the colors following as I scroll, not just a white light.

The Note 7 had this issue too. I did set my Note 8 in water for 5 minutes, and had no issues.

kmfdmpig

Picked it up last night and my first impressions have been very positive. The screen is gorgeous, even compared with previous Notes and the S7.
The case I bought for it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, so I grabbed a few on sale from Amazon, and hope that one of them works well for me.
Thought about whether to get the Gear 360 as I already have enough SD cards for all my devices, but ultimately decided to get the wireless charger + SD card. I realized I'd probably use the Gear360 2-3 times at most and then throw it in a drawer somewhere never to be used again.

The one problem I've had is an odd one. I have Pocket Casts working. I have Android Auto working. I can't get Android Auto to work with Pocket Casts even though it should and did on my other phone. I'll keep tinkering with it, but that's the only real annoyance so far.

Edit: Now I fixed that one annoying issue. Had to force stop and then uninstall Pocket Casts and reinstall and then it worked.

Busaiku

Is anyone else having problems with the Wireless Charger that came from the Samsung bundle?
People are saying Wireless Fast Charge takes about 2 hours, it's taking me 4ish.

Is the charger this inefficient, or is mine messed up?

Is anyone else having problems with the Wireless Charger that came from the Samsung bundle?
People are saying Wireless Fast Charge takes about 2 hours, it's taking me 4ish.

Mine seems fine, I guess. It seems to top-off pretty quickly, I've yet to actually run the battery dead yet.

The wireless charger that came free also seems to work well.

kmfdmpig

Do you have a case that makes the charging less efficient?

Busaiku

Yeah, I'm just using what came in the box.
Checked to make sure it was the one with Fast Charging, and it is.

When I drop my phone there, it even says Fast Wireless Charging, but I get these 3 hour estimates that end up being 4ish hours in the end.

Impulsor

I don't think it's light bleed, but more of light refraction? It's weird because if I scroll a page, I can see the colors following as I scroll, not just a white light.

The Note 7 had this issue too. I did set my Note 8 in water for 5 minutes, and had no issues.
Yeah it's light refraction, oled displays don't have a back light so it can't be light bleed. Same thing happens to me.

You are brave. For setting it into water. I thank you. For science!

Radec

Yeah it's light refraction, oled displays don't have a back light so it can't be light bleed. Same thing happens to me.

You are brave. For setting it into water. I thank you. For science!

Why is it there are units that doesn't have refraction though?

OraleeWey

My note 4 i starting to show its age now. Any trade in deals I can take advantage of?

My note 4 touchscreen has basically become hard to operate. Time to upgrade...

NH Apache

Banned
I'm having crazy issues with fb messenger this morning. Continuing to freeze over and over again. Might have something to do with Gboard, not sure yet.

kmfdmpig

kmfdmpig

Can I use tmiobile ? Buy the phone unloackedd?
Sorry for typo. Fixing it iss helpless. My phone went from 100 to0. Almost unusable.

https://www.t-mobile.com/devices/samsung-galaxy-note8?icid=WMD_TM_Q317SAMSUN_LPK1PSKYINO9811

They have a Buy One Get One deal, which may be even better if there's a second line on your account that is looking to upgrade. Reading the fine print you could even get a S8 as the paid device and get the N8 as the free one, which would be much cheaper.

If you're interested in the free gift that comes with Note 8 (either a 360 degree camera or a 128 gig SD card + wireless charger) then you'd need to buy today or tomorrow.
If you go with T-Mobile I'm not sure what trade in they offer, but worst case scenario you should be able to sell your phone yourself for a decent amount.

BFIB

Wife saw some of the live photos I took of our daughter, so she went and did her JUMP on T-Mo last night.

These phones are incredible, even the guy at T-Mo, who's been on iPhone since launch has switched to the Note 8.

I put the materialistic theme on, it pretty much matches Google's icons and look.

Lgndryhr

My note 4 i starting to show its age now. Any trade in deals I can take advantage of?

My note 4 touchscreen has basically become hard to operate. Time to upgrade...

I am in the same boat too. Seems trade in deals are lacking for the Note 4 in comparison to other devices that came out the same year. I am just planning to wait it out in hopes of a sale on the Note 8. My Note 4 works, but is showing age. Both batteries don't hold a complete charge, camera makes a lot of noise when taking photos now, and it locks up sometimes.

Update:
Did some research. This might be why Samsung doesn't list it but other 3 year old phones on the trade in promo.
http://www.classlawdc.com/2017/04/25/investigation-samsung-galaxy-note-4-mmc_read-failed-defect/

Should I get this or the S8+? Need to know asap. Never been a huge stylus user, but I see its merits. Is the camera far and above the S8+ camera? Is the extra RAM that apparent in day to day use? I do a lot of photo editing on my phones (filters, cropping, text, effects, etc.), usually use IG/FB/Twitter, heavy email, a lot of YouTube. Some games here and there, too, but usually not too much. I'll be trading in a G4 to soften the blow, but what do you guys think?

I recently got a Pixel XL for my troubles with the Nexus 6P that I'm giving to my wife until we can sell it and get her a iPhone 7 or 7+.

BFIB

Should I get this or the S8+? Need to know asap. Never been a huge stylus user, but I see its merits. Is the camera far and above the S8+ camera? Is the extra RAM that apparent in day to day use? I do a lot of photo editing on my phones (filters, cropping, text, effects, etc.), usually use IG/FB/Twitter, heavy email, a lot of YouTube. Some games here and there, too, but usually not too much. I'll be trading in a G4 to soften the blow, but what do you guys think?

I recently got a Pixel XL for my troubles with the Nexus 6P that I'm giving to my wife until we can sell it and get her a iPhone 7 or 7+.
If the stylus isn't a concern, nor the 2nd camera, go with the S8.

The zoom is just there. It is what it is.

The live focus seems to be loved. I don't get why blurred backgrounds are the new hotness, but if you're an Instagram whore, people will love it.

The extra RAM is very apparent if you multitask.

kmfdmpig

The camera is better, but not dramatically so. Extra RAM is nice, and it sounds like you would be able to make use of it. The stylus is the main reason it's more expensive, however, so if that's not something that you'd use much then the S8+ may be the better option for you unless better multitasking is quite important to you.

Get the Note 8 for the RAM alone. I just upgraded from the S8+ and it's huge.

is there a way to re-assign the bixby button?

Yes, I'm using bxActions and it's working perfectly with no rooting required.

Have it set up so one press opens camera, two quick presses hides status and navigation bar, and long press opens Google Assistant.

Using the Control Mode.

Rizific

you guys using screen protectors? is it necessary with gorilla glass? didnt use one for my s7 and it was fine. i have a piece of shit screen protector from amazon and just want to get rid of it. it seems like the whitestone dome glass protector is the best, but at $50 ehhhh....

Doombear

you guys using screen protectors? is it necessary with gorilla glass? didnt use one for my s7 and it was fine. i have a piece of shit screen protector from amazon and just want to get rid of it. it seems like the whitestone dome glass protector is the best, but at $50 ehhhh....

First time I haven't had one. Time will tell if that ends up being a smart move!

kmfdmpig

I was never able to apply them well, so I've gone through several phones without them. Note 3, Note Edge, S7, all fared well with no problems or scratches.

Radec

My s8+ got a hairline scratch which i dont know how it happened.

My note 8 still got no screen protector though.

hohoXD123

Any word on when the UK will get the new Gear VR?

Didn't need one on my Note 4 so I doubt I'll need one now

samn

My s8+ got a hairline scratch which i dont know how it happened.

My note 8 still got no screen protector though.

Hairline cracks with no point of impact and no spider web can be the result of a manufacturing fault. Apple just replaced one of my devices for this

Haven't used one since year 2 of owning my Note 4.

Lgndryhr

Haven't used one since I got my note 4 on launch. Last phone to have one was my s3. At this point I see no reason for them. My screen has no cracks and I don't notice any scratches. If I have any scratches they are very faint.

Nope. Just going case with naked screen. The Whitestone one is the best but man is it a pain in the ass to install. Plus it limits you on certain cases. I actually ordered one but the glass came with a defect (line all the way down the side) so I returned it and said yolo.

Is anyone having slowdown/ frame drops in YouTube when playing anything >1080p60fps in HDR? Seems to be a problem for me. Digital Foundry has some if you'd like to check it out.

How do I get rid of this after tapping a notification from the always on screen? It makes no sense to need to swipe...

dtI1p1T.jpg

scotcheggz

So I have a pretty shitty crashing problem.. Every time I try to edit a note with the S-Pen it just crashes the app. Does anyone with android experience know wtf I can do sort this? I use notes every day :(

I tried clearing the cache and data, force stopping it and restarting the phone but it keeps just doing the same thing. Totally out of the blue. I still haven't really got the hang of android to the extent where I can figure stuff like this out yet.

EDIT: wow... I really have NO IDEA why it would do this, but in case anyone ever has this problem in future: GO to settings > language and inputs and check your handwriting recognition. Mine had changed to Korean for some reason (might be because I cleared cache and data idk) anyway, i changed it back to English and now it doesn't crash anymore. Utterly bizarre but it works so fuck it.

NH Apache

Banned
well this sucks. I have an unlocked Galaxy Note 8 and 1440p HDR version of the video drops frames and slows down. weird. Maybe something is wrong with this phone specifically.

I did not try the 1440p version, only the 1080 as in your post. By HDR, you're talking about the video enhancer option?

Top Bottom