• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Not everyone knows the Vita can actually do this well and from PC, since it's not Sony approved.

My PC or Vita didn't cost me anything this gen/mid-gen whatever it is with ps4 pros, scorpios and switches..

Then I fully expect you to pop up in every thread about a Switch multiplatform game from here on out boasting about what your Vita is capable of. Why stop at Snake Pass, after all?

And it's great that your "Vita or PC didn't cost you anything", but that's not how it works for most people.

You're basically saying it's strictly a battle between the two and not about the about the best ways to play snake pass.

I get why you brought it up originally, as it is indeed an option, but it's a pretty ridiculous alternative. The amount of people who a) own a Vita; b) own a powerful PC; c) want to buy Snake Pass; and d) want to go through the hassle of playing their PC remotely on the Vita while in WiFi range, must be ridiculously small. You're probably one of, like, two people on Earth who want to play it that way. Everybody else will just choose between Switch, PS4/Pro, Xbox One and PC. It's not something Digital Foundry will test.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I get why you brought it up originally, as it is indeed an option, but it's a pretty ridiculous alternative. The amount of people who a) own a Vita; b) own a powerful PC; c) want to buy Snake Pass; and d) want to go through the hassle of playing their PC remotely on the Vita while in WiFi range, must be ridiculously small. You're probably one of, like, two people on Earth who want to play it that way. Everybody else will just choose between Switch, PS4/Pro, Xbox One and PC. It's not something Digital Foundry will test.
I think it's super cool. He shows Snake Pass performing with an alternative tech option. He exploits a variety of means creatively. His passion is inspiring, you learnt something today. What's not to like?

kpaadet

I feel like half of the pictures I've seen of Switch buyers with their new hardware is "Look I'm on/at a ________ with my Switch!"

(Fill in the blank with airplane, bar, restaurant, ambulance, etc.)
Because it's a new device and people wanna show themselves from their best side. You honestly surprised of the lack of pictures of people sitting on the toilet/couch/bed and playing the Switch?

Also now I can't stop imaging some old man in the back of an ambulance playing Zelda while the medics are trying to take his blood pressure.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Also now I can't stop imaging some old man in the back of an ambulance playing Zelda while the medics are trying to take his blood pressure.

I remember seeing a picture of an ambulance worker showing off how the Switch allowed him to get in some Zelda in between calls.

Skyzard

Banned
Uh....start a new thread then?

I could do, I could also just talk here since it's relevant in any non-consolewar sense.

Then I fully expect you to pop up in every thread about a Switch multiplatform game from here on out boasting about what your Vita is capable of. Why stop at Snake Pass, after all?

And it's great that your "Vita or PC didn't cost you anything", but that's not how it works for most people.

If I play a game that works well on this and is worth any tradeoff, I might mention it, yes.

Most people that buy PC will have it last a full generation at least, let alone half-cycles.

I don't think it's that ludicrous that there are others with a vita (or a phone, tablet or even macbook) and a pc browsing this forum.

Installation process for phones and tablets:

1. go to the store (android - iOS) and download moonlight for free
  2. switch on gamestreaming in geforce experience (nVidia gpu software)
  3. Open the phone app and type in pc ip (google find your local IP address if you don't know how)
  4. type 4 numbers to pair on pc
Play your pc stuff.

Even using steam fullscreen interface for easy navigation with the d-pad and a nice gui.

Might want to get a controller with a phone mount for like £20. They also sell cheap adaptors for ps4.

And you can remote play from the ps4 too.

shiyrley

Banned
The Switch version definitely looks better after the patch. I don't know if it's improved AA, resolution, or something else, but it does look better.

This is in handheld mode, I'll try it out docked when I get home.

Btw guys, trying to deny that a very important feature of handhelds is being able to play anywhere is pretty dumb.

I could do, I could also just talk here since it's relevant in any non-consolewar sense.

If I play a game that works well on this and is worth any tradeoff, I might mention it, yes.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the gifs.

*ninja vanish*

The Switch version definitely looks better after the patch. I don't know if it's improved AA, resolution, or something else, but it does look better.

This is in handheld mode, I'll try it out docked when I get home.

Btw guys, trying to deny that a very important feature of handhelds is being able to play anywhere is pretty dumb.

You think? I just don't see it. I'm gonna need digital foundry to get on this one!

SMDH at the Switch apologist in this thread. You guys can be happy with 475p and giving developers your hard earned money for obvious quick port jobs but fuck that there are too many platforms and other great games deserving of my money I'm not going to reward this kind of port.

If i get it I might get it on the PS4 Pro and if i want to play portable will just remote play it.

Sucks cause was going to get this on my Switch, :(

Are people really using this game as some kind of measure of the power difference between the PS4 and switch

Really

Is that really what I've been reading

In a world where horizon exists on the PS4 this is the game that people are using a some kind of measure

RAWRferal

SMDH at the Switch apologist in this thread. You guys can be happy with 475p and giving developers your hard earned money for obvious quick port jobs but fuck that there are too many platforms and other great games deserving of my money I'm not going to reward this kind of port.

If i get it I might get it on the PS4 Pro and if i want to play portable will just remote play it.

You do realise if you buy the PS4 version they still get your money right?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Are people really using this game as some kind of measure of the power difference between the PS4 and switch

Really

Is that really what I've been reading

In a world where horizon exists on the PS4 this is the game that people are using a some kind of measure
Multi-platform games have often been used for platform comparisons.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Are you really sure it's a case of a "quick port job" and not in fact the power gulf between the Switch and the Playstation 4?

Also you're considering punishing the developers of the Switch version by giving those very same developers money for the PS4 Pro version instead?

image.php

shiyrley

Banned
image.php

Zedark

Are you really sure it's a case of a "quick port job" and not in fact the power gulf between the Switch and the Playstation 4?

Also you're considering punishing the developers of the Switch version by giving those very same developers money for the PS4 Pro version instead?

image.php
Considering they didn't get the PS4 to 900p, I think assuming they haven't optimised the game very well is not unfair. The gulf in power observed from this case is actually quite favour able for Switch, so let's hope that's true as well!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Considering they didn't get the PS4 to 900p, I think assuming they haven't optimised the game very well is not unfair. The gulf in power observed from this case is actually quite favour able for Switch, so let's hope that's true as well!

Well that's what I'm arguing. If they didn't manage to get the PS4 cranking out 1080p visuals with this title there's definitely no way the weaker Switch hardware was going to fare much better comparatively.

EDarkness

Well that's what I'm arguing. If they didn't manage to get the PS4 cranking out 1080p visuals with this title there's definitely no way the weaker Switch hardware was going to fare much better comparatively.

I don't know, man. The game looks great on the NS. No jaggies or anything and has the appearance of being at a higher res than it is. Framerate is smooth, too. Probably can't go wrong with any version, really. It's a good game and worth checking out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't know, man. The game looks great on the NS. No jaggies or anything and has the appearance of being at a higher res than it is. Framerate is smooth, too. Probably can't go wrong with any version, really. It's a good game and worth checking out.

But all he's saying is that comparably, the Switch is doing worse than the PS4, as expected, the PS4 ver being sub 900p, no one should expect the Switch to do 720p.

You do realise if you buy the PS4 version they still get your money right?

Yes I do but I'll have the version that plays at 1080p/60fps so i could get behind that.

that being said i will probably skip it now. Really was looking forward to adding another game besides Zelda and Snipperclips to my Switch.

If they didn't manage to get the PS4 cranking out 1080p visuals with this title there's definitely no way the weaker Switch hardware was going to fare much better comparatively.
You say it's obvious Switch would run like this. Yet other folks are saying Switch seems surprisingly powerful, based on the same comparison. That's indicative of how little this game actually tells us.

Snake Pass is one of the very worst-performing games on PS4. That makes no sense, and in such an exceptional csse we should be very cautious about drawing any conclusions.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You say it's obvious Switch would run like this. Yet other folks are saying Switch seems surprisingly powerful, based on the same comparison. That's indicative of how little this game actually tells us.

Snake Pass is one of the very worst-performing games on PS4. That makes no sense, and in such an exceptional csse we should be very cautious about drawing any conclusions.

We don't know enough about what the game does under the hood to know if it's running as expected on hardware or if it's "lazy devs". That said, it seems it's really heavy on the GPU side of things, given that the Pro can do 60 FPS or 4K 30 and the only real difference there is an improved GPU

image.php

Isn't the Ps4 version sub par also. It's only the Pro version that is 1080p/60fps so something is definitely not right here. Besides I stated that I was looking forward to adding this to my Switch games list cause I wanted it portable but will pass now. Was just wondering if it would look better streamed on my phone or vita (which incidentally would be higher resolution than this switch version-go figure) from the pro since that streams at 1080p.

That being said I will just skip the game now.

Jodast

Before the update:
KEpIXti.jpg

After the update:
83Gfssl.jpgl

I personally can't see any resolution change, but there are added shadows at least for the start of the game and the depth of field in the cutscenes has been added.

Edit: Comparing DF PS4 footage and the updated Switch version the shadows are the same across both versions now.

Donnie

image.php

In handheld mode Switch has 11% of the standard (fp32) GPU performance of PS4. Its running the game at the same framerate at 30% of the resolution of PS4. Yet people with no clue like the person you're replying to will vilify the developer. Not because they feel like the game in general isn't optimised enough. But because a handheld with a small fraction of PS4's performance isn't running at close to the resolution the PS4 version uses. It makes absolutely no sense, I mean its mind boggling, but so is gaf in general so..

Donnie

Isn't the Ps4 version sub par also. It's only the Pro version that is 1080p/60fps so something is definitely not right here. Besides I stated that I was looking forward to adding this to my Switch games list cause I wanted it portable but will pass now. Was just wondering if it would look better streamed on my phone or vita (which incidentally would be higher resolution than this switch version-go figure) from the pro since that streams at 1080p.

Are you serious?

Skyzard

Banned

It does look better...it looks insanely good from pc :)

PS4 should be nice on Vita/phone too.

Direct shots from the vita when streamed, they're coming out as 720p as that's what I've set it for streaming, though I could drop it to vita native res. It's already being downsampled from 1440p:

Really enjoyed the 5th level (2nd world, first stage). I like how the levels opened up, it really feels like a big tropical snake gymnasium.

moonlight vita screencaps:

22i4aq0.jpg

11z6yh8.jpg

It will look great on a device with OLED/hd retina. Turn down the lights and play in bed :) Can be frustrating though.

I've got the bitrate at 4200. Could probably bump it up, default is 10000!

shiyrley

Banned
Yep, I'm crazy for thinking this is a great way to play:

https://a.pomf.cat/vfxehi.webm
It's not that it's not a good way to play, it's that we don't care.

I want you to take a deep breath and think about the possibility that a solution which requires streaming from another device might not be suitable for everyone. The game being played on the console itself, without need for LAN or Internet connectivity, may, just may, be more practical in some scenarios. In fact, in a lot of scenarios, your solution might be completely unpractical.

It is told, by legends many years old, that a thing that works for someone might not work for everyone, and that people have different preferences, and that it isn't needed to shove your way to play the game in the faces of said people because they don't care, as they have a different sets of needs or scenarios in which they want to play.

However, these are very old stories and legends. It's, undoubtedly, very likely that you will convince us all that your method is infalible. I think that if you insist just a little bit more, I'm gonna sell my Switch, and instead of playing Snake Pass on the tram in my way to class / home offline on my Switch, I'll create a 4G hotspot and play with a Vita. And whenever the signal drops and it has to recover, I'll take that chance to scream to everyone who dares play a game on Switch and not via streaming how much they are missing out on resolution. But you have to insist just a bit more.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not that it's not a good way to play, it's that we don't care.

I don't care that you don't care.

It's suitable for people with a vita/tablet/phone and PC/PS4.

I already posted the 4 simple steps it takes to get it working on a phone or tablet.

I'm not the one doing the screaming.

Someone will probably attempt to count frames and tell me how what I'm playing is trash next, but just have a look at the video at normal playback. Works great with Snake Pass. Best way to play in handheld bed or on the couch. Not in a race car, no.

Skyzard

Banned
image.php

EDIT: I see you added more stuff to you already salty post

I mean, I'm not the one who feels the need to record a video about how amazing his way to play is because nobody seems to really care.

image.php

The Vita is the weakest link. As I said, if you're not bothered that's fine. But triple-digit latency (you're limited by the Vita's WiFi, no matter how close/far you are to the router) is not good enough for me.

If you like, post a video of holding the Vita display near the host system screen, and the difference will be pretty darn obvious.

Still cool that you're enjoying it, of course. :D

If you were reading the OT and not just looking for chances to shamelessly self-avatar post, you'd see latency making this solution unplayable has been theorised, and I'm here to clarify.

If that gets your knickers all bunched up, so be it.

More people likely have a PC or PS4 and a phone or tablet, than a Switch. This is a great alternative for some games.

Deal with it.

LordKano

Why the fuck are you spamming a thread about PS4 vs Switch comparison with ton of posts about how good the remote play on Vita is ? We get it man, you like the way you're playing, it's not the point of this thread tho and yes, we don't really care in this specific thread.

shiyrley

Banned
If you were reading the OT and not just looking for chances to shamelessly self-avatar post, you'd see latency has been brought up and I'm here to clarify.

If that gets your knickers all bunched up, so be it.
If you don't quote the post you are supposedly answering, people might have some trouble understanding the context of your post. Either way, we still don't care. Does it play the game offline? Then it's not for me, and it's not for everyone. Is it a cool way to play in bed or whatever? Yes. Is it okay to play outside, too? Depends on your data plan, signal, etc, and these are variables I don't want to account for. I don't want to be limited to certain places to play an offline game in my handheld device. Also, the lag will be present with 4G connections, especially when you aren't getting 100% signal, which would be... most of the time.

Your way to play seems to fulfil your particular needs, right? You are happy with it, correct? Then I don't understand why you care so much about letting everyone who plays the game on Switch that they are wrong.

Chill, man.
Why the fuck are you spamming a thread about PS4 vs Switch comparison with ton of posts about how good the remote play on Vita is ? We get it man, you like the way you're playing, it's not the point of this thread tho and yes, we don't really care in this specific thread.
But didn't you hear? He doesn't care that we don't care!

I mean, I'm not the one who feels the need to record a video about how amazing his way to play is because nobody seems to really care.
You are repeatedly sarcastically mocking him, and implying he's stupid and obsessive. How does that make him the disruptive, uncivil one?

Instead of trying to manically police the thread content, maybe just ignore him and move on.

Skyzard

Banned

You're asking something that has already been covered and I keep posting because people keep asking me things.

I can see you're mad about this but please calm down, maybe read the actual thread full of people complaining about the visuals on switch but still wanting to play it handheld, and maybe realise this isn't a system wars thread for everybody.

I'm surprised people are that shocked by the resolution. The game looks like it has a pretty heavy reliance on physics so I'd figured it would be deceptively performance hungry. Looks awesome too. I need to grab this.

shiyrley

Banned
You are repeatedly sarcastically mocking him, and implying he's stupid and obsessive. How does that make him the disruptive, uncivil one?

Instead of trying to manically police the thread content, maybe just ignore him and move on.
I mean, I guess you can put words in my mouth, but I don't really see the point in it. His attitude in this thread has been shoving remote play in our faces, in a thread that is not about that topic at all, and he just won't let go. I didn't tell him he's stupid, but I do think he needs to chill. Again, I assure you, putting words in my mouth won't make any difference in this.

Isn't this a Snake Pass PS4 vs Switch thread? I don't see how remote play is related to the thread at all. If their intentions are actually to "help people who want a better handheld version", why isn't he creating a thread? He's totally free to create a thread about how amazing PC to Vita / phone remote play can be, explain the steps, show examples, etc. Instead, he insists on posting it here, and he doesn't seem happy at the fact that we don't care.

He could choose to create a thread to "help people who want better handheld versions of games". Instead, he insists on posting all that stuff in an unrelated topic. You may be right that I would be better off ignoring him, but that doesn't make what he's doing any less invalid.

By the way, if he did create a remote play thread, and I posted, for no reason, that playing game X on Switch is better, I would be just as wrong as he is.

LordKano

You're asking something that has already been covered and I keep posting because people keep asking me things.

I can see you're mad about this but please calm down, maybe read the actual thread full of people complaining about the visuals on switch but still wanting to play it handheld, and maybe realise this isn't a system wars thread for everybody.

This isn't a system wars. You act like you're trying to sell PSVita to the people here. Are you a Sony employee ? We get that your alternative is cool, and we got it with your first post. There was no need to keep reassuring yourself that it's the best way to play it handled. The subject of this thread is the Digital Foundry comparison video between PS4 and Switch version of the game. Not the fact that you really like your Vita.

Skyzard

Banned

Yep, everything I post is unrelated to Snake Pass graphics and performance, because it's not on Switch or PS4.

Despite being a solution to the switch's poor visual showing here that everyone posts about because they want to play it handheld.

And despite PS4 having remote connection too.

And being able to use the solution with a phone.

It's simple logic really, I'm not sure if there is any genuine confusion about it though.

z0m3le

Banned

You should just go spend the money on an Nvidia Shield if you are going to stream the game to a device using Nvidia's software lol, at least it would be a 720p screen and you'd have no compromise to controls. You can start posting your pictures in every PS4/PC thread about how happy you are to sit in front of your $1000+ PC, playing a 2k resolution of your game at a lock solid 60fps, compressed and shoved through your home network so that you can pretend you have a Wii U 2.

Sorry, but beyond your first post and explaining how you did it, you're just spamming the thread with IMO a pointless comparison, on a product that is hacked to do what another product does better (Nvidia Shield)

If you are trying to say that this is a better experience than the PS4 and Switch, I don't see that, all the work and price to your solution and compromise to responsiveness, it's not a plug and play solution like on PS4 and PS4 to Vita for remote play, and it isn't something you can take on a plane or a bus or a train, you can't just pull it out mindlessly to play 5 minutes wherever you are like on the Switch, or take that experience home with you and play that same game you were just playing on the plane with the same progress on your TV now.

Cerium

Okay I finally had a chance to try out the Switch version after the patch and it definitely looks significantly better. Before I was actually pretty bummed out about how it looked on the handheld screen, but now it's more than adequate.

Skyzard

Banned
You should just go spend the money on an Nvidia Shield if you are going to stream the game to a device using Nvidia's software lol, at least it would be a 720p screen and you'd have no compromise to controls. You can start posting your pictures in every PS4/PC thread about how happy you are to sit in front of your $1000+ PC, playing a 2k resolution of your game at a lock solid 60fps, compressed and shoved through your home network so that you can pretend you have a Wii U 2.

Sorry, but beyond your first post and explaining how you did it, you're just spamming the thread with IMO a pointless comparison, on a product that is hacked to do what another product does better (Nvidia Shield)

If you are trying to say that this is a better experience than the PS4 and Switch, I don't see that, all the work and price to your solution and compromise to responsiveness, it's not a plug and play solution like on PS4 and PS4 to Vita for remote play, and it isn't something you can take on a plane or a bus or a train, you can't just pull it out mindlessly to play 5 minutes wherever you are like on the Switch, or take that experience home with you and play that same game you were just playing on the plane with the same progress on your TV now.

It's plug and play for phones and tablets. And it's not impossible on Vita, not actually that hard at all, some people are willing to put the effort in.

Video on last page comparing it to the PC screen shows latency is not an issue with this game.

Lots of people like to play some games on handheld, at home too.

It's not all about you 3. So many weak arguments, just trying to shut me up, that simply amount to "I don't care!"

Literally.

EDarkness

It's plug and play for phones and tablets. And it's not impossible on Vita, some people are willing to put the effort in.

Video on last page comparing it to the PC screen shows latency is not an issue.

Lots of people like to play some games on handheld, at home too.

It's not all about you 3. So many weak arguments, just trying to shut me up that just amount to "I don't care!"

No offense, man, but if you want to keep pluggin' this, then make a thread so folks can talk all about it. Right now, this is a thread about the PS4 and NS version of the game. If you don't want to talk about that, then make a thread about what you want to talk about. The last few posts have been nothing but stuff that has nothing really to do with the topic at hand. You like the way you play? Great. Make a new thread.

shiyrley

Banned
So many weak arguments, just trying to shut me up that just amount to "I don't care!"
Nobody is shutting you. You are free to express how cool remote play is, in a thread in where that is relevant. If you do create that thread, I would love to see your reaction at me constantly posting about how better Switch is. But I won't, because I don't mind other people playing games the way they want.

This thread is about PS4 vs Switch performance. Not about Moonlight. And by the way, your way of playing IS cool, it probably looks amazing, it's a creative way to play the game. Really, it's cool! But we don't care because it's unrelated to the thread and because we prefer to play in a different way because of different reasons. It's not a "weak argument", it's a fact. We don't care.

For the last time,

image.php

I'll now proceed to ignore any future posts from you in this thread, and so should the rest. Please consider bringing your topic of discussion to a place in where it's actually fitting and relevant.

Top Bottom