• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Arttemis

I got a great deal on a Sony 55w800b 1080p HDTV a year and a half ago. I'm totally happy I stuck with non-4K because I saved money and I'd like to buy my next TV when 4K (or 8K), HDR, HDMI 2.1, Variable refresh rate, OLED-quality visuals, and sub-25ms latency are standard and affordable.

I have a 2010 Samsung LCD (a budget one at that), how big of an upgrade would I be looking at in upgrading? I'm considering a ps4 pro but not sure it is worth it without upgrading TV?

They've come a loooooong way.
Interesting, I thought so. Would something like the LG 43UH603V be a big upgrade?

It isn't expensive, but oled is currently out of my price range as I'm still a student.

I might just wait until post graduation and see if I can afford a C7/whatever model number they are on at that point. I imagine the upgrade would then be ridiculous.

Paragon

Anyone who has played an arcade machine with a CRT probably has.
Yep, any old CRT, or CRTs used in commercial settings that display the same thing repeatedly will burn.
I have *never* seen a mid-'90s or later direct-view CRT with burn-in when used in a home setting. Not even PC monitors.

Plasmas burned much more easily than CRTs ever did.
OLEDs seem to be somewhere in the middle, suffering from image retention but being unlikely to burn.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I lied about the viewing angles of the 900E. They are not great! But, I have learned to just deal with it after all these years.

You have to enable "Enhanced format" for the HDMI port in settings. Only HDMI 2 and 3 support this I believe.

I decided on and a purchased a 55X900E last night. I got it set up and used rtings settings as a jumping off point. My initial impressions are VERY favorable. Just seeing the title screen of Horizon Zero Dawn impressed. Coming from a plasma I was apprehensive but so far so good.

On another note, earlier I posted about seeing one at BB and said the viewing angles seemed bad. I actually am pleased with them now that I have it in the house.

I'm hitting the action menu and going into the picture settings but I'm not seeing it?

Edit: Found it.

wege12

What's the best method of selling a used TV online? I live in a town of 25,000 so selling local isn't easy.

All this talk of new generation OLED panels in 2018 almost makes me have buyer remorse for buying the B6. Still love it though!

Ocho

What's the best place to purchase a B6? Not the cheapest, but a reputable site and not almost $2k like it shows in Amazon. (USA) Should I wait an extra month?

Kyoufu

What's the best method of selling a used TV online? I live in a town of 25,000 so selling local isn't easy.

All this talk of new generation OLED panels in 2018 almost makes me have buyer remorse for buying the B6. Still love it though!

did I miss something?

I'm not planning on upgrading from the E6 until around 2019 or 2020 when HDMI 2.1 or whatever the new standard is adopted in new consoles/graphics cards etc. Until then, enjoy that sweet OLED goodness.

Madness

Being OCD about viewing angles is exactly why I finally jumped to OLED

I also think it is a red herring and overblown especially by the guys at rtings. They rate almost ever single VA panel low. But the majority still have near perfect color accuracy upto 20-30° off center. For the majority of people, they sit directly in front of their televisions, or within 30° ie. 15 degrees off dead center left or right. It is beyon 20-25 degrees where color gets affected usually. Naturally this is a bigger issue for larger televisions that will be in rooms where you have sofas at odd angles etc.

Most also view the television at the store from angles they would never really watch at home. I am not saying it isn't an issue. Viewing angles matter, but come on, the angles have remained the same for pretty much every major VA set for years now.

holygeesus

Banned
OLED viewing angles aren't perfect either. The bigger the angle you watch from, the more colours distort. Put an all white background up on one, then start walking round the room while watching the TV and you will see what I mean.

Revo_zero

Gaf, please help, i'm in the process of buying a new TV, hours of trawling forums have led me to these two

Samsung 55KS7000 £839
Panasonic TX50DX750 £769

I cant honestly think of a time i've flipped between two products so much, im edging towards the Samsung just for abit of future proofing, but many people have said the Panny's IQ is just as comparable, is an extra £70 worth it

Gaf, please help, i'm in the process of buying a new TV, hours of trawling forums have led me to these two

Samsung 55KS7000 £839
Panasonic TX50DX750 £769

I cant honestly think of a time i've flipped between two products so much, im edging towards the Samsung just for abit of future proofing, but many people have said the Panny's IQ is just as comparable, is an extra £70 worth it

The very 2 TV's I picked for my mate to choose with his budget, comes down to HDR basically, the KS hits the 1000 nits mark, and the DX 500 or so.

If HDR is important to you, get the KS, bear in mind the KS has an input lag of 22ms and the DX 44ms, and you're getting an extra 5" screen size with the KS and a wider colour gamut.

Revo_zero

The very 2 TV's I picked for my mate to choose with his budget, comes down to HDR basically, the KS hits the 1000 nits mark, and the DX 500 or so.

If HDR is important to you, get the KS, bear in mind the KS has an input lag of 22ms and the DX 44ms.

Thats exactly it! its the HDR thats edging me towards the KS, its just ive read people saying the HDR on the Panny is pretty damn close

Revo_zero

You'll get less blooming on the DX as it's not as bright, which is a plus, as they both don't have the best local dimming.

so would you say the better HDR performance on the KS is offset by its brightness needed to reach HDR10, essentially making it abit pointless on a set like this?

Popsickles

Samsung 55KS7000 £839
Panasonic TX50DX750 £769

I have the Panny and I am more than happy with it, the HDR is pretty impressive although not premium certified. Although the Samsung goes brighter i have seen reports of clouding and edge bleed, also reports of 50htz judder.

so would you say the better HDR performance on the KS is offset by its brightness needed to reach HDR10, essentially making it abit pointless on a set like this?

No necessarily, say you're looking at an neon city scape at night with headlights, neon signs etc, it would look noticeably brighter and better on the KS, but if you had a night shot with the moon, you'd see more blooming on the KS as the sheer darkness would show it up compared to the DX.

You can get bright letterbox bars on the KS too which is a downside.

Revo_zero

I have the Panny and I am more than happy with it, the HDR is pretty impressive although not premium certified. Although the Samsung goes brighter i have seen reports of clouding and edge bleed, also reports of 50htz judder.

Thanks, hows the motion performance. On the 50hz judder im assuming that isnt apparent with 60hz and above signals?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I also think it is a red herring and overblown especially by the guys at rtings. They rate almost ever single VA panel low. But the majority still have near perfect color accuracy upto 20-30° off center. For the majority of people, they sit directly in front of their televisions, or within 30° ie. 15 degrees off dead center left or right. It is beyon 20-25 degrees where color gets affected usually. Naturally this is a bigger issue for larger televisions that will be in rooms where you have sofas at odd angles etc.

Most also view the television at the store from angles they would never really watch at home. I am not saying it isn't an issue. Viewing angles matter, but come on, the angles have remained the same for pretty much every major VA set for years now.

I just decided to do my best to accept it. I sit front and center 97% of the time and if everything else about the TV is great it is better if I relax about it.

Hello OLED peoples,

I am setting up my LG OLED55b6v which i received today and read earlier in the thread that i should update the firmware via usb to 4.31.10 to enable HDR something or other (im in UK) but the update keeps failing. it gets to 45% each time and then just says 'there has been a problem'.

Anyone know what this could be? Ive re-downloaded, re-formated and all the usual steps but cant think what else to try.

ACH1LL3US

From the reports I hear, the Samsung 65Q9F has 15ms of input lag!

That is an impressive number, maybe their other QLED's get an update that lowers it to that too.

What would you guys get, the new LG 65C7 or the Samsung 65Q9F? Just looking to use it for games.

Madness

From the reports I hear, the Samsung 65Q9F has 15ms of input lag!

That is an impressive number, maybe their other QLED's get an update that lowers it to that too.

What would you guys get, the new LG 65C7 or the Samsung 65Q9F? Just looking to use it for games.

Q9F in a heartbeat, especially if you are looking to play games on it. No image retention, sub 20 ms input lag, and this year they have hit almost 99% or more of the WCG/color accuracy. If the Q9F doesn't bungle anything in terms of brightness like the Q7F, you are looking at a FALD set with almost 1500-2000 nits of brightness and almost perfect color accuracy

Q9F in a heartbeat, especially if you are looking to play games on it. No image retention, sub 20 ms input lag, and this year they have hit almost 99% or more of the WCG/color accuracy. If the Q9F doesn't bungle anything in terms of brightness like the Q7F, you are looking at a FALD set with almost 1500-2000 nits of brightness and almost perfect color accuracy

Q9F isn't FALD.

ACH1LL3US

The Q9F is not FALD, it has LED's on the left and right side and has 36 zones of dimming. With gaming I would have the dimming zones disabled anyway to get that crazy low lag.

From what photos I have seen of the Q9F, it looks like a slab of metal, flat on all sides which looks great IMHO.

I do play a lot of games on the PS3 that are 4:3 ( Capcom fighting games like SF3, Marvel 2 etc) and even though I have a B6 I would prefer lower lag and no ABL which even the new LG oled's have improved a lot on.

Tough choice for gaming between the two.

The Q9F is not FALD, it has LED's on the left and right side and has 36 zones of dimming. With gaming I would have the dimming zones disabled anyway to get that crazy low lag.

From what photos I have seen of the Q9F, it looks like a slab of metal, flat on all sides which looks great IMHO.

I do play a lot of games on the PS3 that are 4:3 ( Capcom fighting games like SF3, Marvel 2 etc) and even though I have a B6 I would prefer lower lag and no ABL which even the new LG oled's have improved a lot on.

Samsung are having a laugh selling a TV at that price with 36 zones, it will look shite with night shots, 1500-2000 nits with not very good local dimming accuracy........bleh! Easily hands down a 2017 LG OLED, and that's got very low lag.

Man am I glad I bought last year.

Yawnny

Viewing angles matter, but come on, the angles have remained the same for pretty much every major VA set for years now.

Oh I am quite aware, and it's always been a point of dissatisfaction for me. Took me months to stop testing the limits of viewing angles on my Sony XBR-HX909. Even to this day I sometimes shift my head just to see how the colours wash out at an angle, almost like I can't help myself lol.

In my opinion OLED viewing angle quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the FALD set I own

From the Forbes review:
But for the most part the horizontal-firing edge lighting in the QE65Q9F works fantastically well despite the vast amounts of brightness it’s managing to deliver. Whether Samsung can achieve similarly effective results with the vertical-firing edge LEDs in its Q8C and Q7F QLED TVs remains to be seen.

The Q9 series is horizontally edge lit, with the 7 and 8 are lit on the vertical edge. Perhaps one of the reasons for the Q9 to get such high marks compared with recent Q7 reviews.

Wiped89

Oh I am quite aware, and it's always been a point of dissatisfaction for me. Took me months to stop testing the limits of viewing angles on my Sony XBR-HX909. Even to this day I sometimes shift my head just to see how the colours wash out at an angle, almost like
I can't help myself lol.

In my opinion OLED viewing angle quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the FALD set I own

I find that quite interesting. Personally I only use my TVs head on, front and centre, so it's never been an issue for me. Same with my wall mounted bedroom TV.

If I ever get a larger house with a big living room and multiple sofas, it might be more of a factor.

Hello OLED peoples,

I am setting up my LG OLED55b6v which i received today and read earlier in the thread that i should update the firmware via usb to 4.31.10 to enable HDR something or other (im in UK) but the update keeps failing. it gets to 45% each time and then just says 'there has been a problem'.

Anyone know what this could be? Ive re-downloaded, re-formated and all the usual steps but cant think what else to try.

Maybe try a different flash drive?

For all the guys freaking about possible burn in, even LCDs will burn in, despite people saying they won't.

Anyone that has worked in a data center has seen the Windows login screen or the like burned into those LCDs used for hands-on.

It takes a LOT of abuse (I.E. Same image for months and months) and it is a different mechanism than plasma and the like, but it can happen.

90% of people will be fine if they baby the set from the beginning and then be reasonably careful after that.

I played so many hours of Gears and Dark Souls on my Panny and it was fine.

Yukstin

Looks like 2017 LG OLEDs in BB retail on 6th Apr.

My local BB already has a W7 on display. That display is gorgeous. I thought my OLED was thin and then you look at that, barely there.

Only drawback is the soundbar/control unit but that's the trade-off for a razor thin screen.

Madness

Q9F isn't FALD.

Ah, so no FALD, that does change things a bit. I honestly need to see reviews on how this 36 zone horizontal dimming looks and what kind of black levels you get.

Yawnny

If I ever get a larger house with a big living room and multiple sofas, it might be more of a factor.

Yeah, that was my situation upstairs at my house. I would always feel bad if my friends came over and had the recliner In the corner. They wouldn't care, but I would know they're not getting the best quality :(

vivftp

Anyone know what the Z9D costs for someone that works for Sony?

TV discount prices used to be pretty good for employees in Canada, but I haven't worked there in about 2 years. I still have friends there so I've thought about contacting them when I'm ready to buy my next TV. We'll see I suppose.

Top Bottom