• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

There is one shrine where you got these lasers above a conveyor belt and need to get a ball to a hole. I just bombed the ball to the other side and walked the rest of the way.

Stasis a metal cube. Hit it a bazillion times then climb on it then you'll fly. Do this at your own risk though.

If you fall off high heights with no stamina left. Just quick travel before you hit the ground.

Need an easy full recovery food. Hearty turnip plus apple or rice.

Metal items like a dropped sword conduct electricity. And lightning. Make enemies pick up metal weapons during a storm.

Stealth in the yiga section...lol just stasis people.

Kyzon

Lizafos can catch their boomerang if you steal it and throw it back. Alternatively you can catch weapons that are thrown at you it seems.

When I did the lizard DB, (puzzle solution spoilers)
there was a puzzle where a wall of flames blocks you're way to the terminal. You're supposed to find a metal block and free it with fire and then rotate the dungeon to use the block to stop the fire from spurting out. I didn't see the block at all so I just ran through the fire and took a minimal amount of damage lol

There is one shrine where you got these lasers above a conveyor belt and need to get a ball to a hole. I just bombed the ball to the other side and walked the rest of the way.

Stasis a metal cube. Hit it a bazillion times then climb on it then you'll fly. Do this at your own risk though.

If you fall off high heights with no stamina left. Just quick travel before you hit the ground.

Need an easy full recovery food. Hearty turnip plus apple or rice.

Metal items like a dropped sword conduct electricity. And lightning. Make enemies pick up metal weapons during a storm.

Stealth in the yiga section...lol just stasis people.
actually literally any heart food will do a full restore plus bonus hearts when cooked in a pot, even if cooked alone

bigmac996

yup, hit the => during that animation (or both at the same time to avoid the animation all together)

Another tip (?) A lot of enemies can be staggered or knocked over with the leaf.

You can actually just hold down ZR and then press > to select when you're not wielding a bow, no need to quickly time it out or anything.

RRockman

Banned
You can cross any body of water with ice pillars, all the way to the edge of the map.

I did this before I realized how to use rafts to get a ton of places very slowly!

Hylian Shield only seems invincible and will break after about 40 guardian beams.

Really, I thought it could only take 27 direct hits!

:O

Crap I've been shieldsurfing that on hard rocks constantly... Any way to get it again after it breaks?

Yup! See below.

It is possible to buy a new one after you finish the tarry town quest if any of you were worried about losing it btw. (*after you found it in
Hyrule Castle
only not before.)You can only start that quest after
buying a house
however.

KarmaCow

Throwing a rusty weapon into a those baloon enemies (forgot there name) will net you a new weapon. They will chew on it and spit them out brand new. You can also repair damaged weapons that way.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't repair damaged weapons. I tried with a bunch of different items (all metal ones) and it just spat it back out immediately with no change.

Hitting enemies with metal objects hurts them, even knocking them over. But unwieldy, but fun.

Lol, try it with a Joycon sometime. It's as easy as making a hammer swing motion with my hand. I smash the shit out of enemies whenever there's something nearby that lets me. It's usually a OHKO, fuck just knocking em over lol

Mr-Joker

Banned
you can reflect guardian's laser to them with the parry!

Adding on this, any shield can parry the guardian laser beam each with their own parry strength.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

There's actually a much easier and quicker way than turning the stage upside down, just rotate the stage so that the ball lands on the home stretch and and then tilt down to build up speed and then quickly tilt up to flip the ball onto the other side.

:O

Crap I've been shieldsurfing that on hard rocks constantly... Any way to get it again after it breaks?

Do the Tarry town side quest and there will be a guy who will sell you another one for 3,000 Rupees.

aBarreras

Really, I thought it could only take 27 direct hits!

Yup! See below.

It is possible to buy a new one after you finish the tarry town quest if any of you were worried about losing it btw. You can only start that quest after buying a house however.

buy a house where? hatelia? (sorry im playing on spanish i dont know the english names) or at taarry? (arkadia) :(

i already have the house on hatelia, and i think that the rich guy wants to sell his house on tarrytown, but i dont know how to make that happen

RRockman

Banned
What are bomb jumps?

WaitwaitwaitWait.

You can do THIS?!?!!?

zelda-cartoon-link-bomb-jump-bomb-shield-jump-14303882890.gif

buy a house where? hatelia? (sorry im playing on spanish i dont know the english names) or at taarry? (arkadia) :(

i already have the house on hatelia, and i think that the rich guy wants to sell his house on tarrytown, but i dont know how to make that happen

Oh woops sorry wrong advice you need to talk to the builder with the goofy bowl cut after Boison, the (one wearing pink pants) mentions expanding the construction business.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Yeah I found the Hylian Shield by accident on my first sojourn into the castle when I was far too unprepared for the game and it ended up getting rocked by one of the high test guardians in a shrine as I was trying to figure out how to bounce beams back with it.

Glad to know I can buy one later though. I miss it so much.

KarmaCow

If you've fully upgraded Tarry Town (ie. seen the marriage) then the guy that sells gear is on a balcony of a house. I don't remember which one off the top of my head though.

aBarreras

If you've fully upgraded Tarry Town (ie. seen the marriage) then the guy that sells gear is on a balcony of a house. I don't remember which one off the top of my head though.

he sells me all the armors i already have, mmm maybe i need to find the shield first?

watershed

Banned
Not quite what the OP is describing but I had never seen what an ancient arrow does because Nintendo never showed us and I never saw a spoiler for it. Then I fought a Lynel and decided to try one out. I said wow.

aBarreras

Not quite what the OP is describing but I had never seen what an ancient arrow does because Nintendo never showed us and I never saw a spoiler for it. Then I fought a Lynel and decided to try one out. I said wow.

what? they showed what an ancient arrow does on the first trailer.. didnt you see the first trailer?

I hit one of those mini lava rock dudes with an ice sword. It neutralized the lava entirely and I picked it up and threw it off a cliff.
Breaking ice blocks with cryonis..would have helped a lot against the elephant instead of using my arrows.
Damn, that had to be rough. I played around with freeze for a while so I knew what was up during that segment.

Also appears on the tip page. But always throw your weapon when near break point as it does doible damage.

There are recipes on the wall in various stables.

Follow shooting stars for valuable star fragments.

You don't need the pepper.

Really? I swear i tried it without the pepper and it didnt work. But I'll try again, thanks.

Crayolan

If you haven't cleared all the dungeons yet, you can bring a cucco to the final boss.

Put fire near an electric chuchu and it instantly explodes, greatly damaging any enemies nearby.

If you freeze your enemies you can just slide them off a cliff to finish them.

It didn't worked for me :(

Having a fire weapon out is equivalent to wearing 1 piece of warm clothing, but some areas need 2.

hampig

The physics in this game are great, but a little wonky. You can exploit physics in a couple of shrines.

Off the top of my head, the swinging balls on chains can be wrapped around the beams that hang them using magnesis so you can completely bypass the goal of the swinging gauntlet of many balls.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

There's an interview with the director dude where he says these specific things are actually intentional.

Addi

- The arms from Lizaflos skeletons are actually boomerangs.
- throwing
the master sword
at full health
makes it shoot beams
- The mining carts you can find on death mountain can move forward in a couple of ways, by using stasis and punch it a lot OR drop a bomb in the the small cagelike container.
- you can get on a sleeping Hinox's stomach by standing on his hand. You can then pick the good stuff from his necklace without waking him up.
- A monster mask from Kilton can help you infiltrate a monster's group (bokoblin mask for bokoblins etc.). They won't try to kill you.
- Trotting (standing sill -> ZL and move the direction you need) with your horse can get you up or down steeper and more rocky places.
- Shoot metal boxes in a camp with an electric arrow, it creates a big electrified field

Top Bottom