• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I am infinitely ready to join the wave of the weeb as a samurai.

And I hate to say it, but already I can feel a bias against RDM forming in my head. Most of the people with the flair on reddit that I've met have been either r_TheDonald regulars or mi'ladys. Or both.

Looking forward to Stormblood shaking things up a bit.

Zomba13

Of course, right before early access, my controller stops working. I can't get it to work in game at all. I checked it in Devices and Printers and all the buttons will work, but I can't get it to do anything in game.

At least your Power Supply didn't break and the spare one you found doesn't have the right pins for your graphics card so you're using an old as card that runs FFXIV at 20FPS and you PSU is very very very very slowly making it's way from Germany and will arrive just in time to miss all of the early access.

yeh I know, but the thing is I havnt played this at all, if I skipped everything I'd have no idea about whats going on or the mechanics of the game etc maybe I'm wrong?

Is a couple hours a night enough to sorta get through? or is it more of a hardcore time sink thing?

You'd be okay I think with the story skip you still have to level to 50 you just don't have to do any main story quests. There's a lot of stuff to help new players and as long as you did dungeons and read the hints that pop up you'd be okay. There's less questing in Heavensward too I only did enough quests to unlock flying in a zone then I did dungeons until I leveled enough for the next main story quest.

Ken

Not necessarily stormblood related, but a few quick questions about things I never really figured out last time I was playing, figure might as well learn now getting back in for the expansion:

1. Do I want to wait until DoTs fall off before re-applying to avoid losing the last tick or does it not matter? I've played WoW for a long time, and originally you wanted to wait but now it doesn't matter, not sure what it is here.

2. Is there an easier way to track your own DoTs on a target? Even with "only show own" checked, sometimes it is hard to tell in the sea of random debuffs on a target, and I've heard people say that in large groups/raids there is a debuff limit and sometimes yours don't show up at all.

Was levelling up my arcanist in prep for stormblood not requiring other classes at 15 to get the jobs, trying to be better at a DoT class.

I think you're okay to clip the last tick if the alternative is to delay GCD or let it fall off for multiple?

Not really but the game will display your own dots and statuses on the leftmost side of all debuffs. And yes, there's a limit on displayed debuffs. Not much you can do there.

I think Stormblood is standardizing several debuff icons so that might help a bit with recognition.

melkier33

Not necessarily stormblood related, but a few quick questions about things I never really figured out last time I was playing, figure might as well learn now getting back in for the expansion:

1. Do I want to wait until DoTs fall off before re-applying to avoid losing the last tick or does it not matter? I've played WoW for a long time, and originally you wanted to wait but now it doesn't matter, not sure what it is here.

2. Is there an easier way to track your own DoTs on a target? Even with "only show own" checked, sometimes it is hard to tell in the sea of random debuffs on a target, and I've heard people say that in large groups/raids there is a debuff limit and sometimes yours don't show up at all.

Was levelling up my arcanist in prep for stormblood not requiring other classes at 15 to get the jobs, trying to be better at a DoT class.

1. You want to apply it as close as possible before it falls off. Keep in mind your dots do get buffed so you can over write a strong dot with a weaker version if you reapply with out buffs.

2. Not really it's kind of a pain sometimes, with enough practice you'll kind of figure out when the best time to reapply would be in your rotation with out looking to much. When it doesn't show up it's a limitation of the 24 man raids, sometimes it will apply but not show and sometimes it won't apply at all. For 24 man content I wouldn't stress about it to much.

Resubbed for the first time since finishing 3.0 MSQ last week, been working through the patch content. Few more quests to go and ill be ready for the new stuff.

Been away for a while, but it's good to be back. Typically I moved from Ultros to Gilgamesh when I last played to play with friends, but now they've quit playing and I'm stuck with no friends and no FC :( I might transfer back to join the GAF FC, but we'll see.

If you'd like, you can shoot me a friend request as I'm over on Gilgamesh though most people I know have left/stopped. Character name U'ala Taieu.

Hnnnnng can't wait for the Bard changes. Hopefully the PS4 patches quickly enough the wife and I don't have to wait too long Friday morning.

Not necessarily stormblood related, but a few quick questions about things I never really figured out last time I was playing, figure might as well learn now getting back in for the expansion and the gaming community thread was closed:

Ideally you want to reapply DoTs right before they fall off but just in time for their last tick to hit - refreshing them at 3 seconds. There's some situations where you want to clip DoTs because the game snapshots any buffs you have up into the full duration.

As for the tracking, that's only really a problem in large scale content like 24 man raids and hunts but at that point you might as well guess lol

Being doubtful of FFXIV's ability to have strong women in the story seems... erm... I dunno... massively stupid?

Yeah, let's not say that I don't think any FFXIV females are strong when I've said that a few are already. I'm more talking about the disappointing subplots with the smaller females like say Hilda or Lucia. We know little about them which makes them a little forgettable to me.
Ysayle dying at the end of Heavensward was done well but at the same time I feel there isn't really another female like her in this game. She for the most part had her own cause and she delivered very well.
Yotsuyu reminds me of Gentiana from FFXV a lot... similar design and everything. I guess I expected a lot of things there for FFXV and it failed to deliver so I doubt FFXIV.

You're probably not here in the story yet but spoilers for the end of HW
Yda was mysterious to the very end but I never felt much about her until her relevant points near the end of 3.4/3.5 and it made me like her a lot more when it was revealed Yda was in fact dead because it leads to a new character arc that will be more interesting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kind of finally feeling the burn to play. Stopped playing the month HW came out though and getting through the MSQ sounds like a pain when I don't remember that much of the story.

Sibylus

Banned
Hypu get. Going to play RDM BLM BRD DRG AST until my hands fall off.

Are class requs for BRD and the like changing? (I don't feel like punching things until level 15 and never touching pugilist again)

Guess Who

Banned
Hypu get. Going to play RDM BLM BRD DRG AST until my hands fall off.

Are class requs for BRD and the like changing? (I don't feel like punching things until level 15 and never touching pugilist again)

Cross-class skills are gone, replaced by a "role" skill system, meaning you do not have to level alt classes to get jobs or to learn skills any more.

v1perz53

Thanks for the help!

1. You want to apply it as close as possible before it falls off. Keep in mind your dots do get buffed so you can over write a strong dot with a weaker version if you reapply with out buffs.

Though that reminds me of a secondary question. From your wording it sounds like if you apply a DoT with buffs up it snapshots those buffs for the whole duration of the DoT, is that correct? So is it worth it to overwrite a DoT with some duration left in order to refresh it right before buffs fall off or something like that?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just hate not understanding game mechanics and feeling like I'm doing things sub-optimally! Tried to google it but getting conflicting and old info.

Guess Who

Banned
Thanks for the help!

Though that reminds me of a secondary question. From your wording it sounds like if you apply a DoT with buffs up it snapshots those buffs for the whole duration of the DoT, is that correct? So is it worth it to overwrite a DoT with some duration left in order to refresh it right before buffs fall off or something like that?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just hate not understanding game mechanics and feeling like I'm doing things sub-optimally! Tried to google it but getting conflicting and old info.

Bingo. If you refresh a DOT while your buffs are active, they retain that buff for the full duration (even if the buff itself ends sooner), so it's often worth it to refresh your dots both right when you start a buff and right before it ends.

Kent

Thanks for the help!

The reason you want to overwrite damage-over-time debuffs only shortly before they wear off is twofold: One is that you minimize the time the enemy has without debuffs. The other is that the server globally calculates damage-over-time ticks (approximately every three seconds), and by making sure to overwrite only the tail end of it, you keep the damage-over-time effect on the enemy consistently.

Basically, if you actually let the effect drop off entirely, or if you refresh it before the 3 seconds remaining mark, you may actually lose a tick of its damage. It's a server quirk, and damage-over-time effect heavy jobs, such as Summoner and Scholar have to be very aware of how this works to maximize their damage outputs.

Snapshot when possible, and time your reapplications so they land when there's three-ish seconds remaining on the current one, where possible.

ebil

I have barely touched the game for the past 3 months. I'm so ready for this.

(Thread title is perfect btw)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
AuS2tFM.jpg

Alex

Goodbye to Heavensward, you were both a top tier expansion and Final Fantasy game.

I haven't played a DPS in any real capacity since uh... Shadow Priest in Burning Crusade, back in the eons past when WoW actually had good class design. That aside my nostalgia and the preview videos are gonna put me on Red Mage, at least for a bit while the healing classes are pulling hair and kicking shins amongst themselves.

My friend just told me Lore is getting replaced. What should I do with my Lore? I was trying to accrue some so I could buy gear for my Samurai when the time comes.

ebil

My friend just told me Lore is getting replaced. What should I do with my Lore? I was trying to accrue some so I could buy gear for my Samurai when the time comes.
You'll be able to convert your Tomestones of Lore to Poetics (which will be used to buy old 50 and 60 gear sets), better not worry about it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Nice OP. Bunch of resources (such as the fishing one) I had no idea about lol.

Might take a moment to drop some information here for people living in Japan or other Asian regions who are looking for a FC/LS to play with. A number of JGAF play on Durandal and we're always open to new members. We're small in number and while only a handful of us are active year-round, with a better roster we could effectively begin routine activities. We also have a Japanese FC and side-LS for those who can communicate in Japanese.

So, if anyone is looking for a new home, now is an especially good time as there is going to be a world-shift program with great benefits for moving to underpopulated worlds. Durandal isn't confirmed as one of the target worlds but we wouldn't be surprised if it was.

(I'm at work right now and will not be able to check the thread often but in the off chance this piques someone's interest, drop me a PM!)
Just bumping this post, for all JGAF folks looking for people to play with in their time zone.
No preload on ps4?
The preload will start during the maintenance.

Halabane

Kinda interested in this game. Is it solo friendly?

not really. you will need to PUG some of it to get thru the main story. though your mileage will vary I have not found this to be a good way to go. but its an mmo not a single player rpg so for them to design content that made you play with others seems reasonable

Lren

Nice OT! Just logged out for the last time in HW on my server, looking forward to giving RDM and SAM a shot Friday morning. Eager to have more content to explore and classes to relevel, especially with the changes that we are getting. Tomorrow is gonna go so slow!

Halabane

You'd be okay I think with the story skip you still have to level to 50 you just don't have to do any main story quests. There's a lot of stuff to help new players and as long as you did dungeons and read the hints that pop up you'd be okay. There's less questing in Heavensward too I only did enough quests to unlock flying in a zone then I did dungeons until I leveled enough for the next main story quest.

Is that new? You can just go around and level and don't have to go thru the story? Doesn't that limit some of the items you need for you character to progress, which I thought you had to do the story to unlock...least thats how it worked for me.

melkier33

Thanks for the help!

I'm yeah potentially, I main a monk so my dots are pretty much built into my rotations for the most part and don't come across this situation often enough. But yes it does snap shot the buffs, so it could be a dps gain to over write them. As to when/how much and if you should do it really depends on the class and skill I would think. This is really for optimal dps if you intend to do savage, if not I wouldn't stress about it so much.

At least your Power Supply didn't break and the spare one you found doesn't have the right pins for your graphics card so you're using an old as card that runs FFXIV at 20FPS and you PSU is very very very very slowly making it's way from Germany and will arrive just in time to miss all of the early access.

Is that new? You can just go around and level and don't have to go thru the story? Doesn't that limit some of the items you need for you character to progress, which I thought you had to do the story to unlock...least thats how it worked for me.

Yeah, they come out on Friday you'd get gear from dungeons and there's still quests to do just no main story quests. Plus when you hit 50 you can have someone buy you a set of 50 gear. I wouldn't skip Heavensward though that actually has a really good story and the dungeons are super fun.

My graphics card died this morning but thank god I had an extra being paranoid pays off for once.

The story skip is a potion you have to buy from the shop, but assuming you do buy it, it clears every story quest and unlocks everything related. It's still unclear what happens to quest rewards(like mounts and what not) although it's assumed you'll either get them, or tokens to buy them or whatever.

If you don't buy the story skip potion, then you still need to do all the story.

aett

I resubbed recently to finish HW content, but it would have taken me beyond SB launch to grind for i230 equipment, so I'm just waiting for the expansion to get some cheap gear. I might even level up RDM to use for the rest of the MSQ.

Top Bottom