• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipe

2gy0p6d.jpg

NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.

Just know that some states have laws where an employee can be terminated for no reason at all. You're setting yourself up for danger.

Like I said in my previous post, standout through your work ethic, not for wearing a tie one more day.

LCfiner

bgassassin said:
Just know that some states have laws where an employee can be terminated for no reason at all. You're setting yourself up for danger.

Like I said in my previous post, standout through your work ethic, not for wearing a tie one more day.

Being a huge douche is not "not a reason" in my book :)

Dude I would have jammed you up about dressing up too. I would have jammed you up six ways to sunday. We don't need people like you trying to show off and use clothes and style as a mask for shoddy work. So quit trying to suck up by looking 'professional'.

yuna55

Ceres said:
I've also got another great suggestion for brownnosing through the ranks..... Don't post on GAF while at work. And don't forget to tattle on others using their computers for nonwork related stuff.

:lol I was wondering about that! I've been at my one job for 2.5 years, and the owners & managers absolutely love me there. But I never even check GAF/e-mail/social networking at work! Also, I come into work smiling & pleasant, help co-workers whenever possible, and take as much work off the owners' hands as possible. That's why they love me, not because I dress nice, but because I efficiently get shit done & am pleasant to work with all at the same time!

In managers' eyes: being professional >>>>> dressing professional

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ceres said:
I've also got another great suggestion for brownnosing through the ranks..... Don't post on GAF while at work. And don't forget to tattle on others using their computers for nonwork related stuff.
:lol

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
You knows what CEOs do with their underlings when they goes on ski trips?

Toss The Salad.

Don't forget the lip gloss sailor. Chapped lips don't impress CEO dicks.

SupahBlah

Banned
Seriously ignore all these clowns and your clown colleagues in work you need to style and profile!

ricflair.jpg

To be the man, you gotta beat the man and you can style and profile your way to that skiing trip!

Amon37

NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.

:lol

and just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
NintendosBooger said:

So, you are gonna be sucking dick right? Good for you. If the only way you can rise in a company is being a douche and just licking ass then you are pathetic if you cannot do it by your own means. You might be a big shot down the way, but everyone will know you as the cocksucker. Why is dressing more casual, for one day, something so horrible for you? Do you really believe you are that much better than them all? Well, I have news son: You are nobody in the world.

Don't be a douche. Dressing casually won't kill you. I would hate you if I was the manager. Hell, I would find a way to immediately firing you for any stupidity, and I know your manager will do this.

Sorry, you will spend your life sucking cock to be somebody.

yuna55

Sol.. said:
You knows what CEOs do with their underlings when they go on ski trips?

Toss The Salad.

:lol Hope you like chocolate starfish!

nyong

Banned
You violated the dress code. Plain and simple.

If a job requires you to wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt, you do it. If it requires a suit and tie, you do it. And yes, you weren't being a team-player. Hopefully you can undo whatever damage you've done (first impressions?). Frankly, you came off as being as ass. And a suck-up.

But yeah...if your goal was to grab "top brass" attention with what you're wearing, come into work next week wearing the same thing. It will probably work.

I work with a friend of mine at a business that, in a nutshell, sells information through an easy to use website. When he was hired here, he wore a button down and tie for a few days before his manager came to him and said, "You know, you don't really have to dress up. We never see our clients and most of us like to be comfortable considering we're sitting at our desks for hours at a time."

I enjoy and agree with this philosophy. Everyone feels a bit more relaxed and it doesn't feel as much like an office which actually (wait for it...) HELPS with productivity. *GASP*

Stop being a scrooge and lighten up a bit. Life isn't just about your career.

btkadams

Relix said:
So, you are gonna be sucking dick right?

Sorry, you will spend your life sucking cock to be somebody.
Sol.. said:
You knows what CEOs do with their underlings when they goes on ski trips?

Toss The Salad.

BigGreenMat said:
I would have jammed you up six ways to sunday.

this thread is getting hotter and hotter.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
bgassassin said:

Their called At Will states, Texas is one of them.

Stop being a douche and leave the tie in the closet on fridays.

LCfiner

Confused101 said:
Stop being a scrooge and lighten up a bit. Life isn't just about your career.

based on his posts, I think it is for him.

by any means necessary!

I keep laughing at all the hate being piled on. and now there's the bro-rape scenarios getting played out on the "executive" ski trip. :lol

great thread.

lil smoke

Banned
GAF is being really hard on the OP here!

But really dude, you can't pull this type of shit off as a noob in the workplace. Pay your dues, and prove yourself a necessary employee (2-3 years) Once you do that, you can do whatever you want. Fuck them, if you are doing your job and you are hard to replace, not only will they lay off the corny DDF shit, but you can gret away with a lot more.

I can't believe places still do this trivial shit. If the man does his job well, whats the problem?

Diablos

eznark said:
No, I work in an office, with a team. Sometimes we get pizza with mushrooms on it. I fucking hate mushrooms but we're a team, and we're very successful, so I go along with it. You have to pick your battles or else you look like a shit who is only out for themselves.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Is this what professional life has become?

I CARE ABOUT YOU, TEAM. SO GO AHEAD, GET SOME MUSHROOMS ON YOUR PIZZA.

:lol :lol

I did read the OP thank you very much. Only the OP knows what his co-workers are like, and he seems like a reasonable guy.

yuna55

nyong said:
You violated the dress code. Plain and simple.

If a job requires you to wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt, you do it. If it requires a suit and tie, you do it.

In school when your teacher told you to write a paper a certain way, you better fucking write it the way they want even if you think it's retarded. Because ultimately, it doesn't matter what the fuck you think or want. Your teacher's the one giving you a F if you don't do it.

eznark

Banned
Diablos said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Is this what professional life has become?

I CARE ABOUT YOU, TEAM. SO GO AHEAD, GET SOME MUSHROOMS ON YOUR PIZZA.

:lol :lol

I did read the OP thank you very much. Only the OP knows what his co-workers are like, and he seems like a reasonable guy.

It was a "pick your battles" example. When you spend 50-60 hours a week with the same group of people little things add up.

Laugh if you want but the approach has worked well for me.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers
and GAF

So is this your first job in the corporate world or did your new employer not call your references?

NintendosBooger said:
I sound like an elitist because I choose not to observe a new, stupid tradition that presidents and CEOs grudgingly put into place? What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?

DO what you're fucking told and don't analyze it. You are being elitist.

Diablos

eznark said:
It was a "pick your battles" example. When you spend 50-60 hours a week with the same group of people little things add up.

It's just how you said it, man.

"I'm a part of the TEAM. That means we look out for each other. We keep each other going. If someone likes mushrooms on their pizza and I don't, well, I eat it anyway, god dammit. Because we're a TEAM."

Think about it. Take a step back and realize how unbelievably stupid workplace politics and policies have become.

NintendosBooger said:
What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?

Yours. Don't like it or think it makes the company stupid? Quit. Yeesh.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Diablos, dressing down or eating some fuckin' mushrooms isn't a big sacrifice to make to get along with co-workers and management.

lil smoke

Banned
eznark said:

True this. Picking battles and navigating thru politics is key to survival.

but doesn't it seem a bit... dumb though, for a company to be THIS serious about a NEW employee's dress? I understand it as a joke on the rookie, but sounds like a bunch of petty pricks.

On second thought, OP I would start looking for another job.

Guzim

SupahBlah said:
Seriously ignore all these clowns and your clown colleagues in work you need to style and profile!

ricflair.jpg

To be the man, you gotta beat the man and you can style and profile your way to that skiing trip!
They'll be going on Space Mountain all night long!

NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?
Ugh...

You sound like an ass kissing, elitist, snob, who has it in him to push others down to boost himself up.

Not saying you are. Just saying, that's what you sound like.

eznark

Banned
Diablos said:
It's just how you said it, man.

"I'm a part of the TEAM. That means we look out for each other. We keep each other going. If someone likes mushrooms on their pizza and I don't, well, I eat it anyway, god dammit. Because we're a TEAM."

Think about it. Take a step back and realize how unbelievably stupid workplace politics and policies have become.

Well no shit it's dumb. Like I said, the proximity and dependency make people un-fucking-bearable, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Go along, get along, and cash the fuck out. Waves hurt my bottom line, so I am not a fan.

Diablos

malek4980 said:
Diablos, dressing down or eating some fuckin' mushrooms isn't a big sacrifice to make to get along with co-workers and management.
The point I'm trying to make is that this stupid, childish, quite frankly pretentious bullshit shouldn't be a sacrifice in the FIRST PLACE. Don't you get it?

I would hope co-workers are more interested in things that actually matter.

"Sacrifice" at a job means a lot more than if you do/don't want mushrooms on your pizza. Unless you work with a bunch of fucktards. I'm just sayin'.

NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

Either you are fairly new to the workforce or you really view yourself as being better than your fellow "slack jaw mongrels". You'll learn soon enough that you have to make concessions (whether real or feigned) to showcase you understand and respect the work culture you've been accepted into. Learn the politics of your new situation and play your cards accordingly. If it's not for you, it's your fault for not fully vetting the opportunity before you accepted it...

btkadams

LCfiner said:
based on his posts, I think it is for him.

by any means necessary!

I keep laughing at all the hate being piled on. and now there's the bro-rape scenarios getting played out on the "executive" ski trip. :lol

great thread.

i know! i can't wait till i finish business school and get to go on these sweet ski trips!

glistenm

Banned
What is this mandatory dress down bullshit?

Jesus fucking christ, how fucking pathetic are those co workers life that they get upset over someone wanting to dress how they dress?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Please OP, come back to the thread and tell us what kind of stratospheric executive role you inhabit. What do you actually do for a living?

eznark

Banned
lil smoke said:
True this. Picking battles and navigating thru politics is key to survival.

but doesn't it seem a bit... dumb though, for a company to be THIS serious about a NEW employee's dress? I understand it as a joke on the rookie, but sounds like a bunch of petty pricks.

On second thought, OP I would start looking for another job.

My guess is they already hated him (if his personality is anything like his GAF persona...no wonder) and took this opportunity to hammer him.

I would hope co-workers are more interested in things that actually matter.

They don't.

nyong

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Ugh...

You sound like an ass kissing, elitist, snob, who has it in him to push others down to boost himself up.

Not saying you are. Just saying, that's what you sound like.

It definately sounds like it.

Fortunately for his co-workers, usually the evil, back-stabbing types have enough sense to play along with stupid, trivial things like Casual Friday. I will be amazed if this guy lasts longer than 2 weeks at his current job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom