• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Holy shit. Luong. So good.

I remember when her movesit was revealed, some folks were complaining cuz said she was an unfinished character due the low number of moves.

I played with her just a bit but she seems pretty well designed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I remember when her movesit was revealed, some folks were complaining cuz said she was an unfinished character due the low number of moves.

I played with her just a bit but she seems pretty well designed.

Anyone hurting over the lack of Yamazaki in XIV should seriously give Luong a look.

Astarte

Any BnB lists? I'm doing unga with Mui Mui but I feel like I can get so much more unga per square inch. Dreamcancel is pretty much dead so I can't get anything there I guess.
Also the characters trials are super easy and lacking. I guess it's the total opposite of 13's.

The steelbook edition is actually nicer than I thought. It comes with a protective sleeve which I was not expecting at all. Feels pretty sturdy as well which is nice compared to what most steelbooks are like these days.

Haven't seen any blemishes/dings/scratches so I am pretty pleased so far.

Amedo310

What is that NAT thing ?
I was trying to play but I got tha warning.
So far online has been a hit and miss.
Sometimes I get some really good matches and connections but then it goes to hell in other ones. So it's fairly like in other fighting games.

I checked again and SNK mentions that:

"NAT Type 3 users are likely to have difficulties connecting online so they need to check their settings (Refer to Sony's manual).
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/nw_test.html "

Source: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10210.html

Goddamnit.

My game arrived today, and Amazon put it in one of those stupid ass cardboard wrapping things instead of a box with packing inserts, so the top is all messed up,

I'm debating just keeping it the way it is, because I really want to play, but I'm mad. I don't understand why they do that shit. I had to return Senran Kagura four fucking times because of it.

JUST PUT IT IN A BOX

JayEH

Goddamnit.

My game arrived today, and Amazon put it in one of those stupid ass cardboard wrapping things instead of a box with packing inserts, so the top is all messed up,

I'm debating just keeping it the way it is, because I really want to play, but I'm mad. I don't understand why they do that shit. I had to return Senran Kagura four fucking times because of it.

JUST PUT IT IN A BOX

Amazon has been so shitty lately with packaging.

Kyolux

How do I get my PS3 Hori stick to work? I plugged it in, got the 1.01 patch, but it's not being detected.

edit: Neverming, got it. got to press x on Legacy controller config.

FHIZ

Is anyone having trouble with the SFV TES+ stick? I'm just going through the tutorial and well over a majority of the time I'm doing a quarter circle forward, it's registering as a dragon punch input, which is something I have a much harder time pulling off consistently than a quarter circle, by comparison. Then, it feels like half the time I'm trying to do a back jump, mind you, the stick has a square gate so I feel it hitting in the corner, Kyo just jumps straight up.

Am I just missing something here or is my stick fucked?

All launch copies are Steelbooks.

Nope. I just got the regular plastic (I opted for it)

Kuusoge

I have played online now on both a wired and wireless connection after the day one patch. My bandwidth is 150/150 mbps. The game claims that I'm at full connection strength on both wired and wireless connections.

I'll start with the wired:
On a wired connection the netcode was a good experience. I played 30 matches with around 12 people and only had a bad experience with 2 of the players which were 2 bar connections. I had playable matches with the remaining 10 players which had 3-4 bar connections. The majority of the matches were excellent and stable with very little latency. A good chunk felt like near offline matches.

Wireless:
Wireless was the exact opposite experience I had with wired. I played around 40 matches with around 20 different people. Over 75% of the connections I had with people were unplayable regardless of their connections strength (1-4 bars). The bar ratings were never accurate and some playable games were with people that had 1-2 bar connections while my worst match was against someone with 3 bars. The playable matches I had were mostly okay with a few hitches. Only one of the connections felt like a near offline experience.

In conclusion, do not play on a wireless connection. Of course this goes without saying with any fighting game, but especially for KoF XIV. It's one of the worst wireless experiences I've had with a fighting game. I've had okay wireless connections on games like SFV and Revelator but not this one. Who knows, it might just be my connection, but I know i'm never touching wireless KoF XIV again.

Overall, my netcode experience has been a 7/10 so far. So long as the connection is wired, the experience is much better than KoF XIII on 360, but it still lags behind most current fighting games. It's disappointing that SNK didn't put in the effort to make it an excellent online experience but at least it's playable this time.

Femto.

I have played online now on both a wired and wireless connection after the day one patch. My bandwidth is 150/150 mbps. The game claims that I'm at full connection strength on both wired and wireless connections.

I'll start with the wired:
On a wired connection the netcode was a good experience. I played 30 matches with around 12 people and only had a bad experience with 2 of the players which were 2 bar connections. I had playable matches with the remaining 10 players which had 3-4 bar connections. The majority of the matches were excellent and stable with very little latency. A good chunk felt like near offline matches.

Wireless:
Wireless was the exact opposite experience I had with wired. I played around 40 matches with around 20 different people. Over 75% of the connections I had with people were unplayable regardless of their connections strength (1-4 bars). The bar ratings were never accurate and some playable games were with people that had 1-2 bar connections while my worst match was against someone with 3 bars. The playable matches I had were mostly okay with a few hitches. Only one of the connections felt like a near offline experience.

In conclusion, do not play on a wireless connection. Of course this goes without saying with any fighting game, but especially for KoF XIV. It's one of the worst wireless experiences I've had with a fighting game. I've had okay wireless connections on games like SFV and Revelator but not this one. Who knows, it might just be my connection, but I know i'm never touching wireless KoF XIV again.

Overall, my netcode experience has been a 7/10 so far. So long as the connection is wired, the experience is much better than KoF XIII on 360, but it still lags behind most current fighting games. It's disappointing that SNK didn't put in the effort to make it an excellent online experience but at least it's playable this time.

Based wired.

Still a shame that it is subpar, is it comparable to any recent titles?

Amedo310

Kukri Story Mode and Official Team Ending related:
It seems like Kukri or Elisabeth has a grudge against the Orochi clans. Kukri's interaction with both Kyo and Iori has been very hostile. I think Kukri only talks to Shunei because he thought that Shunei was connected to the clans, but then he quickly realized that there was no connection.

netplay impressions

Man as someone who generally has a 16/2 Internet speed this worries me. Xrd, SFV and every other fighting game with good netcode had been fine, but man I hope it's not going to entirely rely on the brute strength of your connection. I am wired though. Hopefully I have good enough connections to my friends. If I can have decent netplay with people I play other games with I guess I can settle.

Veedot

So I was excited to get my copy and play on my day off, but UPS decided that I dont get my package from the zero attempts they made to deliver. Ive been home all day yet my delivery status says customer was not available to receive package. UPS can fuck off

Chang is not easy to play. Doing a perfect spinning ball cancel is not easy. To be able to play him like I want to requires execution I don't have.

I'm not sure how I feel about Xanadu. He seems extremely footsie based in comparison to every other character, and a lot of his moves/specials don't seem very reliable. I'll have to mess with him more.

Kuusoge

Based wired.

Still a shame that it is subpar, is it comparable to any recent titles?

Wired, the closest comparison I can draw is maybe early Xrd netcode. I haven't played SNK's recent re-releases online so I can't make a comparison to those.

Man as someone who generally has a 16/2 Internet speed this worries me. Xrd, SFV and every other fighting game with good netcode had been fine, but man I hope it's not going to entirely rely on the brute strength of your connection. I am wired though. Hopefully I have good enough connections to my friends. If I can have decent netplay with people I play other games with I guess I can settle.
I would guess that it will be fine on wired if your friends live close to you. I had solid connections with other people on the westcoast (I live in socal). I had some playable matches against someone in Mexico too.

Bleh, none of my 2002 Angel combos seem to be working in XIV X(

Is there a combo resource for XIV yet? I really wanna rep Angel but I suck at discovering combos on my own.

Wow, I really like Meitenkun. He's pretty dope.

dude, every single character was done with some much love
some are so darn original- Like when I played with Nelson, he feels like he belongs in an entire different game,
mad props to all Nelson players out there.

Respect.

dem0neyes

Played a few matches with a friend and it was strange... Game was super slow but i didn't feel any input delay if that makes any sense. Matched up with some random and it was smooth as butter. I'm just happy that it IS possible to get good matches at all tbh

Not really shes too linear to be a strong, she will get weaker when the game gets figured out and especially when f-shiki is patched out.

What do you mean by linear?
Characters don't really need 8-way mix-up things to be effective in this.
She has never relied on fuzzy guard either. Her instant overhead has always worked the regular way.

Changing my opinion on Xanadu a bit. I haven't tested extensively, but if you have three bars available, he can get 500 damage off of his crouching D anti-air.

Also, he can combo his f+A command normal from his standing and crouching lights, which gives him some decent damage. I'm not sure if his f+A still whiffs on crouchers. If it does, then that would be very unfortunate.

Damn, excited about the great reviews. Can't wait to try this out eventually, but I unfortunately can't get it yet. Probably the one fighter I'm most excited about now, but I have no idea how I will feel about the visual style until I get my hands on it, I'm still a bit worried it won't quite feel like the KOF I know and love, but it looks super promising.

Either way, it seems like this is a new SNK. I would love to see them do a similar reboot of Metal Slug.

Xevren

Changing my opinion on Xanadu a bit. I haven't tested extensively, but if you have three bars available, he can get 500 damage off of his crouching D anti-air.

Also, he can combo his f+A command normal from his standing and crouching lights, which gives him some decent damage. I'm not sure if his f+A still whiffs on crouchers. If it does, then that would be very unfortunate.

f+a whiffs on crouchers sadly. I still dunno about Xanadu. He's uh...pretty out there.

Pretty stupid that it downloads updates in-game, like Street Fighter.. why is that? This means I can't play anything whilst it is downloading..

Edit: I was wrong, it supports background downloading.. it's just really, really slow.

Hyun Sai

Seems like something is fishy with the netcode.

Frionel is having consistently great matches with 3 bars connexion and always underwater stuff with 4 bars.

EDIT : No lag for Frionel (Morocco) against Kenpachi (Belgium).

So the netcode CAN be solid, seems like something else is screwing the system.

Seems like something is fishy with the netcode.

Frionel is having consistently great matches with 3 bars connexion and always underwater stuff with 4 bars.

Frionel's in France, right? That's probably a contributing factor. US internet sucks, but I'm sure there are some of us who are getting good matches.

EDIT: It's unfortunate, but the netcode does seem pretty bad. It seems a step below SFIV. Perhaps things will get better with time.

Hyun Sai

Frionel's in France, right? That's probably a contributing factor. US internet sucks, but I'm sure there are some of us who are getting good matches.

EDIT: It's unfortunate, but the netcode does seem pretty bad. It seems a step below SFIV. Perhaps things will get better with time.

No, Frionel is in Morocco, and got no lag against Kenpachi (belgium), stream is online

https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26

He says also got a no lag connexion against someone in Scotland. Only problem, no one understand why some matches are underwater when they should not.

Tripon

CqkwjEbXYAA7RG8.jpg

https://twitter.com/Antinomy001/status/768198624257998848

Top Bottom