• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA fines English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh FAs for wearing poppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

Absolutely the right decision, the poppy is a political symbol.

It might represent politics you agree with, but just because you agree with a political position doesn't stop it being political.

Just like how FIFA being a corrupt shower of shite doesn't automatically make every decision of their's wrong.

RedShift

Sort of agree with FIFA's decision tbh (as much as I hate to agree with anything those corrupt shits do)

FIFA can't go around deciding what symbols are acceptable for teams to wear. Can you imagine the shit show if Argentina wore some symbol in support of their troops in the Falklands war?

Azuran

Banned
FIFA is a fucking joke.

Also I never understood the point of separating sport and politics. Countries, and a large number of club teams throughout the world, are political entities in the first place. Expecting a random soccer game between Ukraine and Russia not to get political is unrealistic.

NekoFever

Hate to say it but FIFA's right.

The poppy has become hugely politicised, particularly since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A national campaign to commemorate war dead is innately political – we're not talking about a private commemoration like a funeral here. There is huge pressure on public figures to wear them, including shaming and threats towards those who don't, because it's politicised. Jon Snow has to explain why he doesn't wear one on TV every single year; Charlene White, who doesn't wear one on TV for the same reason, has the same thing with the added bonus of racist and sexist abuse. And the insistence that it isn't political in the face of all this is an attempt to shut down the criticism of the browbeating.

Let's not forget that no football teams, clubs or internationals, wore poppies on their shirts until 2010. England didn't do it until 2011. England and Scotland played each other two days after Remembrance Sunday in 1999 (Euro 2000 qualifiers) and neither team wore poppies, laid a wreath or even held a minute's silence. That wasn't controversial then – why is it now? Politics.

FIFA isn't arbitrarily coming down on a long-standing tradition but rather enforcing its existing rules and not letting us be special snowflakes on this issue.

Audioboxer

How have the home nations responded?

An FA spokesperson said: "We note the decision by the Fifa disciplinary committee, which we intend to appeal. As a first step, we have written today to Fifa requesting the grounds for the decision."

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan says it is "clearly disappointing" that Fifa has ruled the poppy is a political symbol.

The SFA board will discuss the issue on Tuesday to decide on any appeal and will request the full reasons from the governing body.

The Irish FA (IFA) said it was "disappointed", although they cannot appeal as their fine is under the Fifa disciplinary code limit.

The FAW has yet to respond.

Sports Minister Crouch said: "It is disappointing that Fifa has not recognised the sentiment of the poppy, which is not a political symbol.

"Poppies are a poignant tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of our servicemen and women, and footballers and fans alike should be able to wear them with pride."

Shadow sports minister Dr Rosena Allin-Khan MP described Fifa's decision as "utterly disrespectful".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38368144

sasliquid

Hate to agree with FIFA on this one but they are right. There were 3 options

1. Don't allow anyone to wear the poppy
2. Force everyone to wear the poppy including those that feel uncomfortable with it
3. Allow people to chose wether to wear the poppy and watch everyone who doesn't get horrifically harassed

Best of a awkward situation I guess

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Proof of a United Kingdom. Cool to see this and a good way to pay tribute to the soldiers who made much larger sacrifices than fines they could afford.

Meanwhile, Argentina got fined far, far less for a terrible statement.

C0DmVylXgAADqpO.jpg:large

For some reason they think they own islands that no settlers were ever expelled from, the UK settled second after a brief French colony that went nowhere, and them being islands with no indigenous population. Argentina believe they have a right because they're closer despite that not being how anything has ever worked.

They've been fined for it many times in the past. The British Media is using this non-story to distract the public from far more important story.

liquidtmd

Banned
For those saying 'It's not FIFAs job to get political or judge symbolism' and so are in the right for this - is that how you square away them going to Russia and Quatar?

"Hey brahs, it ain't our job to judge fundamentally homophobic governments and the many deaths in Quatar building the stadiums - we just play kicky kicky bally bally"

Not. Gonna. Fly.

Fuck FIFA.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For those saying 'It's not FIFAs job to get political or judge symbolism' and so are in the right for this - is that how you square away them going to Russia and Quatar?

"Hey brahs, it ain't our job to judge fundamentally homophobic governments and the many deaths in Quatar building the stadiums - we just play kicky kicky bally bally"

Not. Gonna. Fly.

Fuck FIFA.

Not to mention the fact that by imposing the fine they are judging political symbolism.

What happens say, when the Queen pops her clogs? If there's an international fixture there's no way that the national sides wont wear a black armband in commemoration of the event, which of course would be a far more directly political act as the monarch is the nominal head of state.

Just. Not. Practical.

PJV3

Not to mention the fact that by imposing the fine they are judging political symbolism.

What happens say, when the Queen pops her clogs? If there's an international fixture there's no way that the national sides wont wear a black armband in commemoration of the event, which of course would be a far more directly political act as the monarch is the nominal head of state.

Just. Not. Practical.

P!ain black armbands are fine according to FIFA, I wouldn't care if they marked her passing or not in that instance.

Herne

As noted many times above, it has been turned into a political symbol and FIFA have every right to fine any organisation that breaks the rules they said they would not break when competing in FIFA tournaments.

Does not wearing the damn thing for an hour and a half out of a sixteen hour day really mean anything or are people just getting riled up because? This looks just like "but muh freedoms" to me. I understood and respected the Irish team for wearing what they did, but I'm not yelling about the mean FIFA people who want to trample my country's political symbols, am I?

Sheesh. Mountains out of molehills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom