• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Razorback

Very disappointed but I guess the blame's on me. For years I hoped for an action musical. It just seems like an obviously great idea and when I heard that Edgar Wright was making just that my expectations went through the roof.

It just felt like it kept building towards something but there was never any payoff. A song would start and the moment it felt like it was going to get going it would fizzle out. There wasn't anything super impressive about the stunts either. I was hoping from the tongue in cheek premise that it wasn't going to take itself so seriously. I was expecting some Tarantino style celebration of cinematic spectacle. There was something off about the casting of the main character. The kid just wasn't as cool as the movie wanted me to think he was.

Song choice was also a problem for me, but this is getting into super subjective territory. It's hard to judge the effectiveness of music given how wildly variant people's tastes are. Unfortunately very little of it worked for me. The tone felt off, everything was very upbeat but the visuals and subject matter were asking for something with more punch.

The climax with the queen song finally felt like things were going to get real, but once more, it went limp before leaving me satisfied.

Not a bad movie, just a disappointing experience given my expectations.

eerik9000

Great set of special features announced for the Blu-ray release (out in October):

• Extended/Deleted Scenes – 20 minutes of extended scenes and a few moments that were dropped from the final cut.
  • Mozart In A Go-Kart: Ansel Drives – Ride shotgun with star Ansel Elgort as he works with the talented stunt drivers to become the ultimate getaway driver.
  • I Need A Killer Track: The Music – Explore how the film's phenomenal soundtrack dictated both the writing process and all aspects of production on Baby Driver.
  • That's My Baby: Edgar Wright – Follow Edgar Wright's vision of Baby Driver from its inception two decades ago, to its ultimate realization on the big screen.
  • Meet Your New Crew: Doc's Gang – Led by powerhouse Kevin Spacey, the cast assembled to form Doc's gang is perfectly constructed with stars like Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm as well as up and coming talent like Eiza González and Jon Bernthal. Go behind the scenes to see this talented group at work as they bring these characters to life.
  • Find Something Funky On There: The Choreography – With every frame of Baby Driver set to a specific beat it took precise choreography by the cast, crew and editors to create a cinematic dance like nothing that's been done before. Hear from the choreographer and filmmakers on this groundbreaking process.
  • Devil Behind The Wheel: The Car Chases – From closing down Atlanta's interstates to creating eyepopping maneuvers for a variety of vehicles, witness the amazing craftsmanship and sheer determination that made the film's incredible car chases possible.
  • Animatics – Check out over 35 minutes of the numerous pre-vis animatics developed by Edgar Wright as part of his meticulous preparation.
  • Ansel Elgort Audition – See firsthand the audition that proved without a doubt that Ansel Elgort was the perfect choice for Baby.
  • Annotated Coffee Run Rehearsal – Day one of production involved one of the film's most elaborately choreographed sequences where every movement is carefully crafted. Check out the preliminary rehearsal and see the behind the scenes movement in concert with Ansel Elgort's on camera choreography.
  • Hair, Make Up & Costume Tests – In this stylized montage, witness the transformation of the actors through costume, hair and make-up tests.
  • Mint Royale – "Blue Song" Music Video – This music video directed by Edgar years ago for the band Mint Royale showcases some early inspiration for Baby Driver.
  • Complete Storyboard Gallery – See the elaborate storyboards developed for the film in this gallery featuring storyboards for the entire film.
  • Director Commentary
  • Filmmaker Commentary (Edgar Wright and Director of Photography Bill Pope)

Great set of special features announced for the Blu-ray release (out in October):

• Extended/Deleted Scenes – 20 minutes of extended scenes and a few moments that were dropped from the final cut.
  • Mozart In A Go-Kart: Ansel Drives – Ride shotgun with star Ansel Elgort as he works with the talented stunt drivers to become the ultimate getaway driver.
  • I Need A Killer Track: The Music – Explore how the film's phenomenal soundtrack dictated both the writing process and all aspects of production on Baby Driver.
  • That's My Baby: Edgar Wright – Follow Edgar Wright's vision of Baby Driver from its inception two decades ago, to its ultimate realization on the big screen.
  • Meet Your New Crew: Doc's Gang – Led by powerhouse Kevin Spacey, the cast assembled to form Doc's gang is perfectly constructed with stars like Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm as well as up and coming talent like Eiza González and Jon Bernthal. Go behind the scenes to see this talented group at work as they bring these characters to life.
  • Find Something Funky On There: The Choreography – With every frame of Baby Driver set to a specific beat it took precise choreography by the cast, crew and editors to create a cinematic dance like nothing that's been done before. Hear from the choreographer and filmmakers on this groundbreaking process.
  • Devil Behind The Wheel: The Car Chases – From closing down Atlanta's interstates to creating eyepopping maneuvers for a variety of vehicles, witness the amazing craftsmanship and sheer determination that made the film's incredible car chases possible.
  • Animatics – Check out over 35 minutes of the numerous pre-vis animatics developed by Edgar Wright as part of his meticulous preparation.
  • Ansel Elgort Audition – See firsthand the audition that proved without a doubt that Ansel Elgort was the perfect choice for Baby.
  • Annotated Coffee Run Rehearsal – Day one of production involved one of the film's most elaborately choreographed sequences where every movement is carefully crafted. Check out the preliminary rehearsal and see the behind the scenes movement in concert with Ansel Elgort's on camera choreography.
  • Hair, Make Up & Costume Tests – In this stylized montage, witness the transformation of the actors through costume, hair and make-up tests.
  • Mint Royale – "Blue Song" Music Video – This music video directed by Edgar years ago for the band Mint Royale showcases some early inspiration for Baby Driver.
  • Complete Storyboard Gallery – See the elaborate storyboards developed for the film in this gallery featuring storyboards for the entire film.
  • Director Commentary
  • Filmmaker Commentary (Edgar Wright and Director of Photography Bill Pope)
Its going to be a long wait for this.

Hope the 4K transfer is up to scratch.

Donos

Saw it, was ok. Expected a tiny bit more after skimming the GAF threads. End was not the strongest part. 7/10 or 8/10. More the latter i guess.

And why nobody uses a seatbelt? It's more work fighting against g-forces then just getting held by the seatbelt while heavy breaking , turning etc. Baby seemed also not beeing affected that much from g-forces in some cuts. Only a little nitpick.

Not sure what to think about Spacey. Is a stone cold business/criminal shark but instantly gets turned into a "good man" from seeing Debora and having empathy for Baby? Instantly ready to die for them? Ehhh.

Daffy Duck

I watched it again on Saturday and I have to say I enjoyed it even more.

I love the use of music.

I would say I enjoyed it a whole lot more than the first time I watched it.

I could also watch Lily James for hours.

Top Bottom