• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

dafortune

I'm legitimately shocked at some of the criticism in this thread, didn't expect it at all. I thought that was as good of an opening as you can get. The visuals were good, the reimagining of the Klingons was stunning, and the characterization of Micheal was great. Still don't get why this couldn't be on regular tv.

Senteevs

The production values are insane.
It looks like a blockbuster movie.
My God, it is fantastic. I'm only watching episode 1 right now but it is simply incredible.

They gotta make money to fund original programming. At least you have options under this model. You only have to sign up for services they have new shows you want to watch at the time. You can cancel at will and sign up again later when a new show/season premieres. There is no reason you have to sign up for every streaming service and pay for all of them every month ongoing.

The thing is, no one is forcing you to pay for EVERY service all the time. The good thing about these streaming services is that you can so easily start and end your subscription and everything is watchable at any point. So if paying for 6 services at a time doesn't sound good, just pay for less interesting services when you can binge stuff you are interested in.

I originally wasn't a fan of this future either but realizing the above and that in the end online and streaming is the future and there is a limit as to how much Netflix & HBO alone can produce has changed my mind. Other companies will want their own piece of the pie and ultimately that isn't wrong just because HBO, Netflix and Hulu got to the market first.

You guys raise a good point. I guess if I'm willing to activate and cancel streaming services all the time and plan my viewing time appropriately, the streaming future can be made to work and cost less than cable. That seems like a lot of effort though. We'll see how this streaming future goes I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Later in the episode, they transported a
proton torpedo warhead
so that's not how it works, at least when going out. Coming back is unclear, there seem to be a lot of restrictions imposed "because the plot demands it" for that.
Presumably it's because the technology isn't advanced enough to pick up specific organic matter without lifesigns. Then again, I can't remember if Enterprise/TOS had the whole "lock on to my communicator" thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm legitimately shocked at some of the criticism in this thread, didn't expect it at all. I thought that was as good of an opening as you can get. The visuals were good, the reimagining of the Klingons was stunning, and the characterization of Micheal was great. Still don't get why this couldn't be on regular tv.
For me, it hurts that Orville is on the air because it's a reminder of a type of science fiction (from the 90s and early 00s) that is essentially dead now. Beyond was like a blip on the Trek heartbeat that reminded me that Star Trek could be about a ship of people having a space adventure, and I guess I'll see if Discovery is more like Into Darkness or Beyond, but right now it's looking more like the former than the latter.

also of note, georgiou specifically mentions the shenzou being an older ship. and you can see the NX class inheritance in its design(especally in the saucer section). so its more modern than say archers NX-01, but not quite on the level of a connie or more modern mid 23rd century ship, also they mention phase cannons by name. so yea its not state of the art, so i would imagine its transporters are somewhere in between archers enterprise, and the Ships we see in TOS proper. what bothered me more than that is the holographic commutation, this is tech we didnt see in fed ships until late 24th century when the defiant gets a small holographic view screen installed and its very specifically noted as the technology being new.

Sloane

Banned
For me, it hurts that Orville is on the air because it's a reminder of a type of science fiction (from the 90s and early 00s) that is essentially dead now. Beyond was like a blip on the Trek heartbeat that reminded me that Star Trek could be about a ship of people having a space adventure, and I guess I'll see if Discovery is more like Into Darkness or Beyond, but right now it's looking more like the former than the latter.
Pretty much. I wouldn't call it "yet another grimdark science fiction show" because there hasn't really been anything that's actually similar in recent years except for maybe The Expense, but it looks and feels way too close to JJ's shitty reboot and especially Into Darkness for my taste. But I kinda knew that going in so at least it wasn't a surprise.

Joeytj

Banned
Well, just finished both pilot episodes and my first emotion is relief. It's not horrible, and no Star Trek show can be judged solely on the first two episodes anyway.

But nevermind horrible, it's good, and great in some parts. No need to again state just how awesome it is too see a Star Trek show with that kind of CGI budget and action scenes.

Since I already know that this works more like a prologue than what the actual show will feel like, I'm willing to set aside some of the "it's not true Trek!" criticism one might have. I also concur with the opinion that this storyline would've made a better Into Darkness than the Khan one we got.

Yeah, there's elements of JJ Trek there, so what. It works in today's environment and we can't realistically expect science fiction to go back to it's spandex roots, to The Orville's detriment.

And a purely episodic season is not going to be work in this age of binge watching. I don't doubt we will get those, but it's obvious this will be more DS9 than TNG or VOY.

Overall, I have hope again for the series and I can't wait to see if episode 3 is really even better.

I just wish fans weren't their own worst enemies sometimes...

EDIT: Oh, but yeah,
sucks they killed off Philippa. The dynamic between both the main women in this episode was giving me all sorts of hype. Not it's normal levels of hype. Ugh.

This is fucking incredible.

Half-way through the first right now and holy fucking shit I love this.

The style... the STYLE - it's like the best blend of the new movies and TNG / DS9.

Please stay good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not over the moon about it, but I liked this. All Star Trek pilots kinda suck so actually this was over the bar set my most other series.

It's definitely real Star Trek: people having smart debates about ethics, etc. The fear that smart-Trek was all gone after the Abramsverse is dead.

I found myself surprised by some of the ethical decisions made by the protagonist, and that's a good thing.

Timbuktu

Whatch Star Trek the next generation first, if you enjoy that watch whichever other series you feel like.

The first season does kind of suck, though. Like most Trek shows it took a while to really find its groove, which is why this would do quite well just to hit the ground running compared with its predecessors.

Kevin

I am glad you guys are enjoying because I feel like this show is already delivering. Without spoiling anything I will say the show isn't just Klingons. There are lots of other, "discoveries". If you have seen the spoilers you will know the show isn't just going to focus on the Klingons and there will be plenty of exploring and character development. Just be a bit patient, this ride has just begun!

DiscoJer

I think the show did a very good jog of what it's trying to do.

But I don't think some people (including myself) like what it's trying to do. I don't want to watch a grimdark super tense show about starting a war with Klingons. I realize war has been a part of Trek forever (especially in DS9), but I like the "Let's go explore a new planet stuff" more than anything else.

Then again, maybe I'm also annoyed with Star Trek Onilne. That follows a pattern of the Federatoin getting into a new war with someone every year or so. (Except it's all on one game year, there have been like 7 major wars in 2410 and it's only finally moved to 2411, with yet another war)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm not over the moon about it, but I liked this. All Star Trek pilots kinda suck so actually this was over the bar set my most other series.

It's definitely real Star Trek: people having smart debates about ethics, etc. The fear that smart-Trek was all gone after the Abramsverse is dead.

I found myself surprised by some of the ethical decisions made by the protagonist, and that's a good thing.
Thank you, I wanted to briefly look into this thread and see if I can safelyy watch the new Star Trek series without risking a heart attack after the disastrous action-junk that was Beyond and I am relieved to see this posting.

JoeM86

Well that was a strong opener for sure. Let's hope it continues that momentum without losing what it is to be Star Trek.

I just fear this will be too action focused.

One thing I'll be curious to see going forward is whether the series actually makes use of the time period. I'm not a fan at all of it taking place 10 years before Kirk, but they should at least utilize it; just replace Sarek with Tuvok and the klingons with mystery species X and you could set this 50 years after Voyager.

One thing I'll be curious to see going forward is whether the series actually makes use of the time period. I'm not a fan at all of it taking place 10 years before Kirk, but they should at least utilize it; just replace Sarek with Tuvok and the klingons with mystery species X and you could set this 50 years after Voyager.

I found it funny the line they used saying that it had been 100 years since anyone had contact with Klingons... It was basically a way to hand wave enterprise and reset first contact.

Michael Burnham is a terrible character for Star Trek. Her arrogance and rashness in 2 episodes she's fucked up everything.
- Fucks around with a strange object and ends up killing someone.
- Starts a mutiny.
- Refuses to follow the Star Fleet directives.
- Attacks a commanding officer then tries to start a war by force.
- Kills the guy they were meant to capture ensuring his martyrdom status.

Then she gets sentenced to life in prison(which I'm guessing will change next episode).

Is this a character we're meant to like? The Asian Captain and science officer were good but her character feels completely out of place.

Pluto

I loved it and I hope they bring Michelle Yeoh back, there's seven years of adventures that can be mined for flashbacks.

I'm looking forward to see Doscovery and the rest of the main cast next week but I don't want to lose the Shenzhou and everyone but Burnam and Saru either.

Not

Banned
Ooookay that's enough Reddit reactions. No thanks, don't need to hear about why a black woman possibly making irrational decisions is the worst fictional character of all time.

Ranvier

I found the acting a bit off...like they over rehearsed...best way I can describe it. Overall though I'll keep watching. It's been so long since I've seen star trek it'd have to get "voyage Janeway Tom lizard babies" bad for me to stop.

one thing that really bothered me though was when she called sarek and he was like, oh looks like there's a new sun in your area. I'm like how did they detect that at Vulcan already? It's light years away unless there's some bs subspace explanation
t

I hope they eventually tackle high sci-fi concepts like tng with the Dyson sphere episode. I'm all for character drama but I want some hard sci-fi thrown in.

Not

Banned
OK I've got to stop reading these stupid fucking comments. HATRED. IRRATIONAL hatred for a black woman not following orders. White dude did the same shit, he's Kirk. He's a hothead. We root for him.

axOMJoi.png

Our species doesn't deserve the optimism it receives in this show.

Jackpot

Banned
Moderately disappointed.

The biggest issue is how unlikable they made Michael. First by staging a mutiny on a hunch of a hunch driven by past trauma, that was only the right decision by blind luck and plot contrivance.

Second by killing T'kuvma in a fit of pique she has the blood of everyone who dies in the war on her hands. That's 8000 and counting. There's no redemption arc that will fix that.

OK I've got to stop reading these stupid fucking comments. HATRED. IRRATIONAL hatred for a black woman not following orders. White dude did the same shit, he's Kirk. He's a hothead. We root for him.

axOMJoi.png

lol, then the show isn't for them I guess. So long suckas!

I thought it was amazing. Best Trek opener ever, and the visuals are breathtaking. Can't wait to see more.

And man did they bust out the sound effect chest for this one. I think I heard just about every beep and chirp from TOS to DS9.

Jackpot

Banned
[SPOLER]Gotta admit I thought the same when it was happening and that they easily could have a avoided the minor flak they'll get for it. They easily could have written in one or two no-name redshirt security guys to join them in the transporter room and die quickly to make it feel better.[/SPOILR]

[SPOLER]Yep. And on top of that, I think Georgiou herself said she'd spent much of the last 7 years trying to break her out of her "Vulcan shell" or something to that effect.[/SPILER]

So far very lukewarm on this show.

[SPOILR]Saru was the only one I inherently liked, which is good, I guess, since other than Michael he seems to be the only one making it to episode 3.

I already suspected from trailers that Michelle Yeoh wasn't making it out of the premiere alive, but labeling her a special guest star in the credits instantly confirmed it... at that point it was just a matter of waiting.

There were some "cool" sequences, but everything felt weird. The Klingon scenes were both numerous and dull. The writing was really sloppy and kind of only made serviceable by the actors being pretty good. That said, there were a lot of lines they obviously couldn't save. And I thought the entire desert sequence at the beginning was alarmingly bad (thankfully it got better after that). Everything about Michael's past and her mind conversations with Sarek seem like a major warning flag in order to connect this to TOS in some way too.

Michael's heel turn is an interesting premise, but the way it was presented here was almost random and there isn't a strong argument made for her being right at all. So it comes off entirely as her acting extremely unprofessional despite being praised enough to start talking about a captain's position at the beginning of the premiere. Really bizarre choice for the character. The solution of course would be to have just started it at the next episode, where she's already been convicted of treason.
[/SPOIER]

Overall these episodes felt entirely like a prologue... and the REAL pilot won't be for another week. Yeah the effects were great and there were some neat battle scenes, but nothing here couldn't have been backstory. Really weird way to choose to premiere a show.

I guess the effects are giving people an overall positive impression so far though.

I'm still hopeful episode 3 will be better when... [SPOIER]we actually learn what the show will be like. Actually see the Discovery. Actually meet the Captain (Jason Isaacs) and the rest of our regular crew.[/SPOILER]

Can we dispense with spoiler tags. It's aired.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Can we dispense with spoiler tags. It's aired.

It'd actually pretty nice for us europeans if you could all use spoiler tags until the next day. we get the episode one day later.

I enjoy reading what you all think of an episode before watching it sometimes.

but of course, if you don't want to..the OT does not state any spoiler tag rules-

Famassu

You guys raise a good point. I guess if I'm willing to activate and cancel streaming services all the time and plan my viewing time appropriately, the streaming future can be made to work and cost less than cable. That seems like a lot of effort though. We'll see how this streaming future goes I guess.
I have a folder on my bookmark bar with all the streaming services I've ever subscribed to, keeps them nice & organized in one place and is a nice reminder what services I have accounts for. And I've only downloaded the ones I subscribe to on PS4. Easy enough to keep track of them, although I have accidentally re-subbed a couple of times when I haven't remembered to cancel the subscription of some service I didn't plan to use any longer in time.

It'd actually pretty nice for us europeans if you could all use spoiler tags until the next day. we get the episode one day later.

I enjoy reading what you all think of an episode before watching it sometimes.

but of course, if you don't want to..the OT does not state any spoiler tag rules-
Generally the TV thread spoiler rule is that once an episode has aired, it's free for all, as far as spoilers go. Not sure if it has to be stated separately. Exception being Netflix & such series that have all of their episodes released at once. Those might have some "no unmarked spoilers until date X" thing going on, since people don't all binge the stuff all at once.

Better just stay out of these threads before you've seen an episode and going in blind, if you want to avoid spoilers. Even if people mark spoilers, there's always the chance of typo'd tags or someone forgetting to tag some spoilers.

axOMJoi.png

So any possible criticism for a character is instantly invalid because she's a black woman? Sisko? Janeway? Uhura? Tuvok? You're acting like the show has never dealt with POC or women before. She's an unlikable character because the WRITERS made her as unlikable as possible. She broke the rules and the chain of command basically because "I think I'm right over you".

There are plenty of moments were Star Trek characters break the rules or go with their gut but there's always a strong reasoning behind it and a focus on the greater good and always lets the viewer know even if the rest of the crew doesn't. Sisko forging information and killing a Romulan to trick them into joining the war is a literal war crime and something he would have lost his entire command and gone to jail for but they built an entire story arch around why the Alpha Quadrant desperately needed them to break their neutrality and why in the end it would haunt Sisko to his grave even though he knew he had to do it. He didn't just go "This Romulan Senator has to die because I'm right and he has to!!". This shows his internal struggle on what he did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

Even the show around Michael highlights how stupid she acted but doesn't give the viewer any hidden reason to like or sympathize with her that the other characters don't know of yet. If she was already an established character and then suddenly became more rash and mutinous then we'd feel more sympathetic but starting a character on such a rough note is a bad idea.

Xater

This show seems to be alright, nothing more nothing less. Telling us this somehow fits into the prime timeline is still ridiculous. There is just too much that doesn't add up. I also think everything about the Klingons is grossly over designed.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think the problem was the writers didn't give the viewers enough to put us on Burnham's side. To us it just sounded like a crazy person with really bad and unclear motives panicking in the face of imminent danger, which is not what people like in their Star Trek.

They want a main character who speaks with authority and a clear head. What we got was the opposite of that.

nOoblet16

I'm still watching the first episode but can I just say that I don't like the way it's filmed. Overuse of Dutch angles, too much close ups or the framing of shot is too cramped, everything including the command deck is too dark and there's a bit too much post processing, nonsensical lens flare and DoF like JJ movies.

It should've been filmed more like Beyond (if it wanted to take anything from the modern movies) and not the JJ movies.

Not

Banned
So any possible criticism for a character is instantly invalid because she's a black woman? Sisko? Janeway? Uhura? Tuvok? You're acting like the show has never dealt with POC or women before. She's an unlikable character because the WRITERS made her as unlikable as possible. She broke the rules and the chain of command basically because "I think I'm right over you".

There are plenty of moments were Star Trek characters break the rules or go with their gut but there's always a strong reasoning behind it and a focus on the greater good. Sisko forging information and killing a Romulan to trick them into joining the war is a literal war crime and something he would have lost his entire command and gone to jail for, maybe even created a war with the Romulans with, but they built an entire story arch around why the Alpha Quadrant desperately needed them to break their neutrality and why in the end it would haunt Sisko to his grave even though he knew he had to do it. He didn't just go "This Romulan Senator has to die because I'm right and he has to!!". Even the show around Michael highlights how stupid she acted but doesn't give the fewer and hidden reason to like her that the other characters don't know of yet.

It's been two episodes. This crap is widespread. Immediate reactions are typically motivated by emotions and/or core beliefs. Misogyny and racism falls into those categories. Both are incredibly widespread globally.

No, you're not barred from criticizing a black female character-- and you appear to have plenty of valid reasons to do so-- but yes, if you're not black and/or a woman, you have to do a smidge more introspection before you unleash your criticism of characters in those categories on the world. Because try as everyone may to deflect when they're called out on this shit, I'm convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's by far the largest factor in play for why people don't like or don't sympathize with said characters. In a lot of situations, either they're instantly hatable if they do something wrong, or Mary-Sues/boring if they do nothing wrong. So, knowing all this, I'm afraid in order to be taken as legitimate you must consider your criticisms carefully in regards to media with characters in the forefront that you think don't represent you visually or have hitherto been mostly unrepresented, especially in mainstream genre fare.

My sincerest apologies for this inconvenience, dude.

jb1234

I don't know. I found the premiere (both eps) pretty dull. It's hard to care when the characters are either actively irritating or thinly drawn. And a lot of the dialogue was awfully clunky, with the Klingon scenes in particular feeling endless. High production values certainly help but I need something to care about here.

(Sometimes good music will get me through a show, like with The Orville but there was none of that here. Jeff Russo indulges in the usual Zimmer string ostinati which have paralyzed modern cinema for years now. Also a few uses of the dreaded Inception horn but I suppose that goes without saying.)

Top Bottom