• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

canova said:
:lol :lol at all the Demons' Souls cartoons

:)

I came across a good handful of chibi-themed drawings too! not normally my thing..

1282551494304.jpg

iemnmo.jpg

icu.jpg

eslro1.jpg

vyp8bl.jpg

Shinjitsu

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
5-2 is the fucking worst place ever. So many things that just drive you nuts. Ran threw both with my soldier and royal. That place is brutal. I wonder why no one ever invades that area? :lol :lol :lol
Planning to use Dragon Bone Smasher for the 3-3 event as the Old Monk. Good idea, or bad idea?
I'm using 4-4 for soul farming, but is there a faster way? Currently SL 75 on my royal and soldier.
If I beat 1-4, I can't increase my SL after that until Phalanx in NG+?
Also planning on taking Old King Doran with my poison weapon and death cloud. Anything I should know beforehand?

Dragon Bone smasher is a fine PVP Weapon as long as you have high STR and know how to use it.

All the info you need for soul farming: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/soul-farming

1-4 won't put you in the end game unless its the last Final boss of an Archstone you have left. But yes, once you clear the game you can't level up again in newgame+ tell you beat Phalanx.

Old King Doran: If you use deathcloud along with Thief's Ring there's really not even a fight=/

ACE 1991

Alright guys, so I'm trying to go for a battle mage type hybrid, but primarily focused on melee. What should I be focusing on stat wise?

ACE 1991 said:
Alright guys, so I'm trying to go for a battle mage type hybrid, but primarily focused on melee. What should I be focusing on stat wise?
Vitality, Endurance, Strength for melee and Intelligence, Faith and Magic for casters. Some stats have diminishing returns after a certain point.

leroidys

Oh my GOD. I stoped playing this game months ago upon beating it. It was not nearly as hard as everyone made it out to be, I never had significant trouble, but holy shit is new game + brutal. Any tips for survival? It doesn' t help that I haven't played in so long.

oracrest

ACE 1991 said:

As a melee player, improving your stamina seems one of the more practical stats to have. Being able to withstand a block, and have the energy to roll away if needs be after you have been swinging is pretty crucial. My 2 cents anyway.

Minamu

My neighbour keeps on surprising me :lol Not only did he kill the red-eyed knight once, but thrice. He died a couple of times on the way to the dragons but alas, they were nowhere to be found due to server whiteness :p Oh well, free PFS! With some helping tips, Phalanx was defeated on the first try :O The game wasn't that hard all of a sudden. I sent him to 4-1 :D :lol And thus, he was brought down to earth by the very first skeleton. I told him to steer clear of the red-eyed skeleton but he managed to cheese the last one to death with soul arrow. Unfortunately, he lost his 9000 points to the boss :) And I fell off a cliff trying to reach the boss again for him so bye bye :D But I collected almost 11k for him.

Then he dies AGAIN, with 1-2 hits left on the boss :lol Great evening all in all xD This guy is the luckiest SOB on the planet imho. Countless times have he survived encounters with a sliver of health left, looking almost like the game is glitched >_<

Finally got both monk head wraps. That old monk event is pretty fun. Each one I fought against was a mage. First match, I kept pressing R1 stupidly. He wailed on me. I introduced my DBS to his face and again and again and again. It was a cat and mouse game, also a good learning experience. :D Second match with my other character. This mage was using the Large Sword of Searching and a DSS. Waited for his warding to wear off, but then he started casting more flame tosses. Sent him flying a few meters. He rolled and tried to attack, I rolled and smack him. He's at 1/3. He attempts to take a grass to heal. He healed. :( I rolled to him and smack him again. He's now against the wall. I wait until he's almost standing and I smack him for the final time. I used second chance and had death cloud, just in case, but I kept forgetting to cast it. Was to nervous and just forgot.
Before the servers go down March or April 2011, you gotta do the old monk event. I noticed my hp was much higher as the black phantom in that one. Had 1540 hp with cling ring. I only have 1100 hp in body form! This is only 1v1. Not sure if it scales 2v1 or 3v1.
Wearing that monk head wrap is hilarious. :lol

ACE 1991

God demons souls is so fun to play with other people. Me and another friend skipped classes today and played all day :lol

oracrest

I finally got the Monk's headwrap too. I guess I'll just add it to the collection. It's one of the dumbest things in the game for me to see other people running around with.

I ended up being summoned by Old Monk, and then the Mind Flayers must have killed the other player, he never made it to the room :D

oracrest said:
I finally got the Monk's headwrap too. I guess I'll just add it to the collection. It's one of the dumbest things in the game for me to see other people running around with.

I ended up being summoned by Old Monk, and then the Mind Flayers must have killed the other player, he never made it to the room :D
:lol nice.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The true bad dudes slay Tower Knight by stabbing his ankles with a dagger. I cheesed him with soul arrow the first time but it felt so much better when I took him down like a real man.

Fuck, this reminds me that I need to be playing this for the WT events. I'm on a new file and I need all of the exclusive weapons and stuff before it's over. Sucks I'm too busy with other games.

Branson

Snuggler said:
Fuck, this reminds me that I need to be playing this for the WT events. I'm on a new file and I need all of the exclusive weapons and stuff before it's over. Sucks I'm too busy with other games.

How do you find out what the exclusive weapons are?

ACE 1991

UGH. Maneater is giving me such a hell of a time. I'm simply just not able to do enough melee damage to him using my kilij +5. I've got warding too which absorbs a lot of damage, but it's pretty much lights out by the time the second one comes along =(

MYE

Well, there goes my perfect boss streak.

Adjudicator fucked me up good :lol
Took away 1/3 of his life and he one-hit killed me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, I sold this game after it completely took over my life after launch. I just rebought it and I am almost back to zero in terms of remembering the mechanics.

I had forgot how absolutely, fantastically oppressive the world is and how the atmosphere clings to every polygon.

I got to figure where to start again.

Canova

Banned
vehn said:
so does the PBWT start today or tomorrow?

Oct 18 till the end of the month

Man, I sold this game after it completely took over my life after launch. I just rebought it and I am almost back to zero in terms of remembering the mechanics.

I had forgot how absolutely, fantastically oppressive the world is and how the atmosphere clings to every polygon.

I got to figure where to start again.

you just don't sell this kind of game, it's a classic one of kind

but yeah it can get so addicting, and selling might just be the only way to break up the habbit

edbrat

ok I bought this and you bastards were completely right, brilliant game, wonderful atmosphere. Never felt such fear as when belting through 1-1 to get to the bloodstain with 9k souls in it. Started with a royal - not sure about how to use the souls efficiently, i'd like a good spell user with reasonable melee, the soul arrow you start with helped a lot - if you guys have any ideas on what gear i should look for, attributes to focus on it would be much appreciated :) Like, how the hell do i get more spells?

Just using the equipment i started with so far, beat boss at end of 1-1, firebombs which i previously thought were useless suddenly came into their own. Am feeling comfortable so far but nothing too obscene has happened yet. Spent a load of souls on my magic and randomly improved a few others but without any idea re what i'm doing. Also forged my sword and buckler with the blacksmith dude, dunno if that was a good idea? Also saved my first demon soul, consumed all the others, i mean demon's souls must be important given the game's name yes?

vehn

edbrat said:
ok I bought this and you bastards were completely right, brilliant game, wonderful atmosphere. Never felt such fear as when belting through 1-1 to get to the bloodstain with 9k souls in it. Started with a royal - not sure about how to use the souls efficiently, i'd like a good spell user with reasonable melee, the soul arrow you start with helped a lot - if you guys have any ideas on what gear i should look for, attributes to focus on it would be much appreciated :) Like, how the hell do i get more spells?

Just using the equipment i started with so far, beat boss at end of 1-1, firebombs which i previously thought were useless suddenly came into their own. Am feeling comfortable so far but nothing too obscene has happened yet. Spent a load of souls on my magic and randomly improved a few others but without any idea re what i'm doing. Also forged my sword and buckler with the blacksmith dude, dunno if that was a good idea? Also saved my first demon soul, consumed all the others, i mean demon's souls must be important given the game's name yes?

Read the 3 stickies on here, they tell you a bunch of stuff you'd never learn otherwise.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954345-demons-souls

As for which build you should go into, try reading up on some of these builds and picking one

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

Canova

Banned
edbrat said:

don't get too comfortable :D

don't consume demon's souls. they're good for learning advanced magic or miracles or forging special weapons

Canova

Banned
edbrat said:

if you want the game to be more engaging or even scarier, don't rely on magic or ranged weapons too much. Going up close and personal, face to face with the enemies will make the game that much more interesting and difficult.

Also some bosses don't deserve to be cheesed with magic or ranged weapons, they're so fun to fight with melee weapons

Zzoram

I traded in the game before beating it due to an overflow of other games and school and kinda regret doing it. However I'm not sure if I want to rebuy the game when I know the online servers are going down Spring 2011 and there is a spiritual successor coming out in 2011.

Do you think the game will still be good in the future without the online component? Won't it become basically impossible to get the Pure World Tendency stuff without the global server Pure events?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zzoram said:
I traded in the game before beating it due to an overflow of other games and school and kinda regret doing it. However I'm not sure if I want to rebuy the game when I know the online servers are going down Spring 2011 and there is a spiritual successor coming out in 2011.

Do you think the game will still be good in the future without the online component? Won't it become basically impossible to get the Pure World Tendency stuff without the global server Pure events?

WHAT?

Syril

I managed to find the Istarelle spear in the Valley of Defilement with the wrong character. Is that ladder going to stay there after the Pure White is over like with the executioner's grounds in the palace?

ACE 1991

Zzoram said:

I've played a lot of the game off-line. It's still incredible.

DryvBy

Ok, maybe this would be a good time to confess: I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I don't understand the basics of the game I think. I'm a level 21 Barbarian. I have some okay armor, and a decent sword (I guess). I never can figure out where to go and how people find these amazing weapons. I can't even figure out how I got to level 21. Is there a good beginners point for someone who has just been winging it and is ready for the next step?

edbrat

vehn said:
Read the 3 stickies on here, they tell you a bunch of stuff you'd never learn otherwise.

As for which build you should go into, try reading up on some of these builds and picking one

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

thanks, seems there is a LOT to look into. The builds I'm unsure about, they are for super hardcore PvPers it seems, I just want something to get me through the SP and have some fun. I won't be able to compete against people who can work out how to build those beasts :)

and i've got myself some nice rings from those posts, thanks.

edbrat

canova said:
if you want the game to be more engaging or even scarier, don't rely on magic or ranged weapons too much. Going up close and personal, face to face with the enemies will make the game that much more interesting and difficult.

Also some bosses don't deserve to be cheesed with magic or ranged weapons, they're so fun to fight with melee weapons

thanks but i don't think i will make this game trickier than it is, i want to stand back and fire magic! My melee play is not good enough to rely on alone but I want to be competent if needs must.

edbrat

DryvBy2 said:
Ok, maybe this would be a good time to confess: I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I don't understand the basics of the game I think. I'm a level 21 Barbarian. I have some okay armor, and a decent sword (I guess). I never can figure out where to go and how people find these amazing weapons. I can't even figure out how I got to level 21. Is there a good beginners point for someone who has just been winging it and is ready for the next step?

this from Vehn gave me a lot of info for a starter v quickly, chk it out

Reilly

DryvBy2 said:

I was the same way. Trust me, the more you play Demon's Souls, the better you come to understand it.

My advice, if you're having trouble in a certain area, go elsewhere and level up a bit more try getting better weapons. All the worlds have unique items that are really awesome. Also remember that certain monsters are vulnerable to certain attack types (piercing/slash/bash/etc.) If you're having problems killing stuff, it's probably because you're using the wrong weapon.

DryvBy

Reilly said:
I was the same way. Trust me, the more you play Demon's Souls, the better you come to understand it.

My advice, if you're having trouble in a certain area, go elsewhere and level up a bit more try getting better weapons. All the worlds have unique items that are really awesome. Also remember that certain monsters are vulnerable to certain attack types (piercing/slash/bash/etc.) If you're having problems killing stuff, it's probably because you're using the wrong weapon.

Am I leveling up just by killing things or what? Seems like I've been at level 21 for a long time.

oracrest

Zzoram said:

You can get all manner of world tendency offline. It's actually easier that way. The only content I can think of being lost when servers go down is the monks head wrap that you get when you are summoned as a black phantom.

vehn

DryvBy2 said:
Am I leveling up just by killing things or what? Seems like I've been at level 21 for a long time.

your level is your soul level, which you increase by talking to the maiden in black at the nexus and spending souls on stat upgrades (ie. +1 magic)

Zzoram

oracrest said:
You can get all manner of world tendency offline. It's actually easier that way. The only content I can think of being lost when servers go down is the monks head wrap that you get when you are summoned as a black phantom.

Do you need the monk's head wrap for any trophies?

Zzoram said:

only the Atlus edition has global server events. achieving pure's offline has not a problem for those with other editions. though frankly, US does get it easy in that regard ;)

Top Bottom