• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

Dereck

there is no assumption. It is better, or at least it is for me. The 360 contour's my hands perfectly, the D-pad is the only flaw. I loved the original Xbox Controller S as well. Asymmetrical for me is far more natural and I owned a PS2 before my Xbox.

It's an ergonomic miracle IMO. Makes PC gaming from bed sooooo good.

7a62a.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9rwbF3HkQ

Even though every controller BUT the DS feels perfect.... I feel like I was listening to a religious zealot just now.

YES

This. It's weird because I can use any controller but DS although I hear most DS users say they can't use any other controller.

I didn't intend to come of as a zealot. Honestly, I play 95%+ of my games on PC, so I don't really feel like I have much stake in the "console wars". I'm really just kind of curious as to why people feel the way they do about the two controllers.

I have a weak preference for the DS3 over the 360 controller, which is somewhat stronger when playing dual-stick anything, but I see a lot of arguments about why I should prefer the 360 pad. What's weird is that the arguments that are made as to why the DS3 is bad don't seem to correlate at all with my experience using the DS3. Why is that? What's going on?

I guess it's probably just a matter of subjectivity, but especially on the matter of stick layout, people just seem so convinced that they're right.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. Asymmetrical sticks and the touchpad, I think it should be clarified that the writer suggests it's a good reason they kept the symmetrical design. I think it's his suggestion, not sony saying this was THE reason.

Burai

shitonmychest57
So, I've noticed that while I hold the DualShock 3 only in my fingers, without my palms touching the controller at all, that the natural grip for the 360 controller is to have the whole thing in your hand, nestled in your palm. It makes me wonder if people who prefer the 360 controller over the DS3 aren't just holding the DS3 as if it were an 360 controller, which is to say, totally wrong. Indeed, if I hold a DS3 that way, with the grips sitting in the palms of my hands, it does feel tiny, and my thumbs do collide when using both sticks. Which is, of course, why you would never hold it that way.

It makes me wonder if other complaints about the DS3 also stem from thinking about it as if it were just an 360 controller. For instance, many people seem annoyed that L1 and R1 are used for aiming and shooting by default in many PS3 games, instead of L2 and R2. This has always seemed crazy to me, because I can't understand why anyone would want to map an analog button to a binary action. However, in the context of those people mostly playing games with an 360 controller, it sort of makes sense. I certainly wouldn't want to aim and shoot with the bumpers, because they're not very comfortable to use and resting your fingers on them for a long time feels very unnatural. If you think of L1 and R1 as being directly analogous to the bumpers, than it makes sense that you would think using them to shoot would suck (even though it's pretty awesome).

The same phenomenon can perhaps (at least partially) explain the strong preference some people display for the 360's asymmetric stick layout. I personally prefer the symmetric sticks on a DS3, when using both sticks, as I find it more comfortable and natural. When I'm not using both sticks, then I don't particularly care about the layout. I have, however, seen many people argue that the asymmetric layout is better, because the symmetric layout privileges the dpad over the left stick, when the left stick is more commonly used and therefore should have priority. This argument has never made much sense to me, because given how I hold the DS3, I find it equally comfortable to rest my thumb on the dpad and on the stick, so I don't consider either control to be privileged over the other. On the 360 controller (and when you hold the DS3 incorrectly), however, it does feel more natural to rest your thumbs on the upper controls than on the lower ones, which may give rise to this complaint.

tl;dr the DS3 is awesome if you hold it right (in your fingers, not your whole hand), though the deadzone on the sticks does kind of suck.

If you're just supposed to hold it with your fingers, why is there all that plastic to rest your palms on?

You can attempt to justify the shitty ergonomics of the Dual Shock all you want but in 2013 that design doesn't cut it any more. It didn't really cut it in 1997 either - they merely added two sticks to a 1994 design and elongated the handles so you wouldn't drop the controller. There's almost no ergonomic justification for the design of Dual Shock.

It didn't cut it in 2001 either vs the GC and Xbox S controller - two controllers designed for analogue input from the ground up, nor in 2005 against the Xbox 360 controller.

The DS4 is the controller we should have had years ago.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I was a big proponent of the 360 controller this gen but Sony seems to have done everything right with the DS4. I /love/ the look of the combined concave/convext thumbsticks. I'm really pumped to give the DS4 a go.

Sony really need to put the Vita d-pad on this thing though. I'm confused as to why it wasn't on the pad from day one. It's perfect.

I didn't intend to come of as a zealot. Honestly, I play 95%+ of my games on PC, so I don't really feel like I have much stake in the "console wars". I'm really just kind of curious as to why people feel the way they do about the two controllers.

I have a weak preference for the DS3 over the 360 controller, which is somewhat stronger when playing dual-stick anything, but I see a lot of arguments about why I should prefer the 360 pad. What's weird is that the arguments that are made as to why the DS3 is bad don't seem to correlate at all with my experience using the DS3. Why is that? What's going on?

I guess it's probably just a matter of subjectivity, but especially on the matter of stick layout, people just seem so convinced that they're right.

Don't worry about that I don't really have a gripe about what you were saying, I mean after all, this is coming from a guy who prefers the Xbox 360 controller for fighting games, and uses the analog instead of D-Pad.

As for the DS3 argument, I mean it might depend on how long you've used the Playstation controller. It was never a favorite to me and because I never used it all my life as my preferred controller, I feel that I can see all the flaws. Even with the D-Pad that everyone once praised, although I just might like the Vita Pad hopefully.

As for the symmetry vs asymmetry..... that goes down a long list of silly shit that's subjective... HOWEVER...... The DualShock always had terrible analog sticks. I hope this one breaks the habbit.

The touchpad would be nice if it had squared indicators that light up similar to the galaxy s3 back and option button. That way it would be perfect for swype because the boxes that light up would indicate letters on the touchpad..

light up when needed as a indicator.
278335-samsung-galaxy-s3.JPG

Those little dots would light up
crop.php

Melchiah

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

It never was an issue for those who held the DS as it should be; tips of the thumbs on the sticks, the handles resting on your fingers, instead of gripping them with your palms.

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

Overboost

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.
I can confirm all of the above is true. FWIW, my biggest fear about the DS4 was its competence for FPS games (I can't play them at all on the DS3), and those fears are gone now. Feels very solid.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It never was an issue for those who held the DS as it should be; tips of the thumbs on the sticks, the handles resting on your fingers, instead of gripping them with your palms.

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

Exactly, I never got how people got their thumbs even close to each other and my hands are huge.

waypoetic

Banned
Good news. I don't think a touchscreen on your controller should take priority over a better, asymmetrical stick layout, but I think at this point they just can't because of the history of the Dualshock.

Still looks like it's going to be a solid controller Particularly love what they're doing with the triggers and I hope MS is doing something similar. And if Bungie thinks it's good, it must be good.

Touchpad. How many times..........

Nibel

It looks like shit, but if it feels like GI describes then I'm a happy man

Not sure about Bungie's input though - there are other genres than FPS games, you know

Corsick

The 360 pad feels more comfortable when cramming it deep into your palms, the DS3 pad feels like it's stuck in between being designed to fit into your palms and designed to just be held with your fingers. It doesn't fill enough space in your grasp (or at least mine). The 360 wedges itself into your grasp making it feel snug and tight without being awkward. The stick placement is the least relevant part of that equation for me in the end (the sticks being tighter is important though imo for both pads).

If you look at the shape of the....handles? The 360 pad is a little fatter and more rounded, while the DS3 looks a bit more angular with tighter curves that dont seem like they're molded to fit a human hand, but to look a certain way without as much regard towards ergonomics. The controller in general isn't that hard to design as it's all about comfort and convenience compromising with features you intend to implement using the controller. The 360 controller seems to have simply had a bit more care put into it. The handles of the DS4 look promising to me as I think about holding it.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

That's it right there. Any other way is wrong. Not "preference", just wrong in terms of how the controller wad designed to be held.

Oppo

The amount of energy expended by typing out endless arguments over asymmetrical vs symmetrical cosmically dwarfs the amount of energy either party would need to expend in order to move their left thumb an additonal few millimeters.

Someday I'll unpack this thing further and figure out why GAF cannot, cannot resist taking shots over this issue. It is just baffling how consistent it is in controller threads. The false pity that a company "didn't do the right thing" when a design is one way or the other; the sniping and accusations of deformed or ill-fitting hands; the overblown complaints of pain and discomfort with one or the other... its clearly not actually about the sticks but something more fundamental, some sort of deep-rooted nerd twitch, like hitting a knee with a doctor's hammer. And everyone somehow is automatically an absurdly qualified ergonomics expert.

Anyways. Do we know what the bluetooth chip is like in this thing? I assume BT 2.0 EDR? I liked the earlier theory that it might be able to have at least full stereo game audio streamed to it, for easy headphone use.

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

I didn't even realize people held it differently. That explains everything. The people complaining about symmetrical stick placement (superior, btw) are probably the same people who held the N64 controller like this:

dlWnjKK.jpg

smh

Moxx19

Banned
I would lol so hard if MS made the Durango controller symmetrical. It won't happen but the reactions would be almost worth it.

Seriously though, I have no problem adjusting to either one and with the exception of R2/L2 both feel fine to me. Just takes a bit to adjust to one after the other.

Well it certainly looks like a badly needed improvement over the DS3, I'll wait until I get m,y hands on it before passing judgement though.

sphinx

the piano man
- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

yeah, I'll wait until I am holding one in my hands. The DS3 felt like a plastic shell compared to the GCN/360 controllers, the 2 best controllers out there.

Hermii

The one thing I wish they copied from the Wii U is that I wish the PS4 would still let games support the DS 3 for local multiplayer. I guess that would cancel the camera splitscreen thing but I dont care.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You've been using it wrong for years? How do you not have some kind of hand/wrist injury? I just tried holding it like that and it was uncomfortable after five seconds.

This is how I hold it (not my photo)
ps3controller_inhands.jpg

The problem is how long my thumbs are. I see a lot of native PS3 users have 4 fingers on the shoulder and triggers, I can not hold it that way (nor would I ever want to, way to uncomfortable). My index finger wants to controll the triggers (and shoulder buttons when needed), same way I hold a 360 controller.

I think a large part of holding it this way has to do with being a old school gamer front he nes days. all up till late in the psone life cycle the controllers consintrated on being held touch the dpad and face bottoms. The Psone original controller was designed to be held this way with your thumbs hitting the face buttons and dpad. Then the analogue sticks were added, and if anyone remembers the first analogue stick from sony had MUCH longer grips extended from the bottom, allowing it to rest in your palm a lot better, allowing you to still hold the controller as pictured above and reach the analog.sticks with a normal sized thumb.

300px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

This was the best controller Sony designed for ergonomics, it allowed the controller to be held well, the sticks were concave, and it was a lot bigger then our current controllers. Sadly all its good qualities were stripped away for the DS2.

Symmetrical stick placement is superior, but not in the way Sony do it. Both sticks are in an "afterthought" position still, as that's exactly what they were when they were first introduced. Nintendo have it right, with both sticks in the most ergonomic position.

I can actually agree with this, it isn't the symmetrical vs asymmetrical thing I have issue with, its the face the sticks are in a location that is secondary, where as todays games use them as primary inputs. So yeah if sony were to move them both up I wouldnt complain either. But hopefully with the wider controller and more space given to them, they will still work where they are and be comfortable.

Ushae

Banned
I loathed the PS3 controller with a passion, such bad design. I have to say this new controller looks really sleek and nice this time around. Well done Sony
8 years later lol

I used to play PS2 so much, this controller looks like a great evolution of that same design.

Ensoul

Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

Good news. The 360 had a better controller for FPS. I am glad Sony is designing their new controller with FPS in mind.

1-D_FTW

I wish somebody would actually ask whether or not you can use the touchpad for aiming in FPS games.

Not soliciting whether some people's hands are too small for that. Because I'm only concerned about myself. And I could comfortably use the touchpad with my thumb. So I want to know if this is going to be an option in games. I like to think that's the reason it has a click. So it can replicate the stick click that's often mapped in games.

MCN

Banned
Symmetrical stick placement is superior, but not in the way Sony do it. Both sticks are in an "afterthought" position still, as that's exactly what they were when they were first introduced. Nintendo have it right, with both sticks in the most ergonomic position.

Curufinwe

I don't remember that ever happening to me in 15 years of playing with Dual Shock controllers, but some extra space between them couldn't hurt.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The touchpad would be nice if it had squared indicators that light up similar to the galaxy s3 back and option button. That way it would be perfect for swype because the boxes that light up would indicate letters on the touchpad..

light up when needed as a indicator.
278335-samsung-galaxy-s3.JPG

Those little dots would light up
crop.php

Fuck, that would be pretty awesome. you could even display basic information on the pad.

As for the news in the OP? Music to my Xbox360 controller loving hands. Dualshock is a horrid, outdated design.

Returners

there is no assumption. It is better, or at least it is for me. The 360 contour's my hands perfectly, the D-pad is the only flaw. I loved the original Xbox Controller S as well. Asymmetrical for me is far more natural and I owned a PS2 before my Xbox.

It's an ergonomic miracle IMO. Makes PC gaming from bed sooooo good.

7a62a.gif

The most ergonomic controller was the Gamecube's controller. That thing just fit perfectly in my hands.

It does look like they are using the Vita's d-pad. Which I rike.

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console

mick-mccarthy.gif

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

scarface39k9b.gif

The Lamp

This is how I hold it (not my photo)
ps3controller_inhands.jpg

You are holding it wrong. So wrong.

I loathed the PS3 controller with a passion, such bad design. I have to say this new controller looks really sleek and nice this time around. Well done Sony
8 years later lol

I used to play PS2 so much, this controller looks like a great evolution of that same design.

The PS3 and PS2 controller are almost the same except the PS3's is improved. How did you play PS2 so much but loathe the PS3 controller?

Asymmetrical for life. Is my only issue.

I don't know about you but both of my hands and thumb placement are symmetrical on my body.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

GOOD.

Biggest complaint when it came to the analog placement of Playstation controllers.

I would still prefer the way analog placement of Xbox controllers though but overall, that's good to hear.

gtj1092

Can't imagine why anyone's thumbs would ever hit. Trying to think of a scenario where you would be turning completely right and turning the camera completely left. Well I guess I could semi imagine it if you were death gripping the controller with your palms. Also I hope the sticks aren't as tight as the 360s my thumbs get tired quickly pushing on 360s stiff sticks. The thing I like about the Ds3 is that it's light and disappears into my hands and pushing the sticks is effortless.

Bgamer90

Banned

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

That's exactly how I hold the controller and I still had problems with my fingers bumping into each other; especially in games that use both analog sticks (obviously).

Great improvement. I love the 360 controller so much it sounds like they moved towards the 360 controller while remaining very dual shocky at the same time. I can't wait for these new consoles.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You are holding it wrong. So wrong.

The PS3 and PS2 controller are almost the same except the PS3's is improved. How did you play PS2 so much but loathe the PS3 controller?

I don't know about you but both of my hands and thumb placement are symmetrical on my body.

I hold it the same way I hold a 360 controller, the comfortable way (again not my photo)
windowslivewritersonytunnelsyndromeps3controllertoosmall-8d24360hand2.jpg

I dont want to claw grip a controller ever, thats uncomfortable to me as I dont have midget hands.

Bgamer90

Banned
Can't imagine why anyone's thumbs would ever hit. Trying to think of a scenario where you would be turning completely right and turning the camera completely left.

You don't have to be doing that.

For me, my thumbs bump into each other when I have my right thumb rested on the right stick and then move the left analog stick to the right.

The top portion of my left thumb would frequently bump into a part of my right thumb (as it was rested on the right analog stick).

Top Bottom