• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Disgraced

Whats the nicest thing on the store atm?
For renown I'd say the Kryptek uniforms, and the gray, black, olive, and brown universal skins. I think El Dorado is the nicest seasonal universal skin if you're into those, but be warned its textures are fucked on some weapons.

nOoblet16

The attacker on the construction spawn hut can get the run out of kitchen door or L balcony because as soon as anyone heard breaking windows he would watch it. C4 at windows doesn't really work unliess the attacker somehow doesn't know C4 is there or what the c4 sounds like. Running out of the garage is countered by the attacker at the server window moving onto the roof when they hear footsteps. I was being specific for the most efficient way of doing it. There's no reason the other 2 attacking operators couldn't be Thatcher and Thermite. This would work with any attacking operators if you think about it.
Before the control room window could be shot out of when you hear the attacker and they would be scared off. It would be impossible for Glaz to get the defender who peaks out of there for a second and kills the repelling attacker. This used to give defenders access to the connector and a fighting chance. Attackers would try and counter this by having someone on the other building shooting through windows into the control room. Defenders would have to counter this by... etc.
My point is the window was a key part of the meta of that map and that location (yes it was the most popular location for defenders to choose first in most ranks). Without it there, there is an imbalance and not much point in choosing that place at higher ranks when people are using mics and you know the enemies are going to be somewhat coordinated.
Obviously the window had to be removed/covered up, but it's pretty gross how attacker favoured it made that map.
Umm you don't keep the C4 there, that window you are talking about is right next to the connector room with pretty great cover. All you have two do is pop out to throw the C4 at the window edge, the attacker cannot ever respond to that quickly enough. It's how I've gotten even multi kills using C4 at windows.

I play at platinum and diamond level so I do have experience of high level play and I'm telling you, that room is still heavily favouring the defenders.

The Consulate change was because with a deployable shield, you could put it down in a way that let you stand on it and spawn peek from the drone hole. Nothing to do with camping spots.

Then they should have just put a piece of junk a few feet out from the drone hole :(

Umm you don't keep the C4 there, that window you are talking about is right next to the connector room with pretty great cover. All you have two do is pop out to throw the C4 at the window edge, the attacker cannot ever respond to that quickly enough. It's how I've gotten even multi kills using C4 at windows.
You can hear a C4 get cocked, and you can change your position. Just like dodging C4s everywhere else really. I'd say you should be able to avoid a window C4 the majority of the time.
I play at platinum and diamond level so I do have experience of high level play and I'm telling you, that room is still heavily favouring the defenders.
Do you though? Unless you're hiding a ranked account different from the accounts you list on your GAF profile I don't really think that's a fair statement. Plat 3 with very little time on Ranked all things considered. And all the clips of yours I've watched on here seemed to be from Casual.

I'm dropping a full disagreement on that one. Servers is unviable now. It used to be you sit one guy in there to watch the L windows, either on the reinforced hatch or behind the servers. That's no longer a feasible set up now since the back two windows can't be contested without run outs.

No half decent player will get caught by a nitro cell while on the window. Soon as they hear the Velcro they'll quick repel down to avoid it.

Legitimately 2 attackers can lock down all of servers now. One repelling on the windows to watch connector and one on L watching the corridor/stairs from outside.
That leaves 3 to get in and plant, watch for run outs, etc.
There's no need to clear the red brick building, since any roamers that side can't contest you if you attack servers.
There's no need to even bring a Thermite or Hibana either since you can enter straight through the windows.

And frankly, your rank and the ranks of people you play with/against mean absolutely nothing.
Plus I've played with you before and I know exactly where you fall on the skill curve and trust me, mate, it isn't diamond level.
On top of that, ranked is not high level play. No matter what ranking you are or play against.

Then they should have just put a piece of junk a few feet out from the drone hole :(

You expect Ubisoft to use common sense? Ha!

Does anyone know if there's tracking for number of kills with specific weapons? I can't seem to find it on the R6stats site or the in-game Ubisoft club, but they track menial shit like 'Barricades : Reinforcements Ratio'.

I can't see the number of kills with my M1911 but I can see this?

nOoblet16

You can hear a C4 get cocked, and you can change your position. Just like dodging C4s everywhere else really. I'd say you should be able to avoid a window C4 the majority of the time.
That's why you always pre cock a C4 before when throwing at a window edge. You can cock it in connected or the other room next to it. Window rappellers are never going to rapidly shift positions like operators on foot. And this whole thing about if you have a Glaz here, a Blackbeard there and someone else somewhere else is just too damn specific for it to be a 100% reliable strategy that works everytime. That's kind of how the game works, and it would've been the same before but doing it while actually playing it is another story.

Do you though? Unless you're hiding a ranked account different from the accounts you list on your GAF profile I don't really think that's a fair statement. Plat 3 with very little time on Ranked all things considered. And all the clips of yours I've watched on here seemed to be from Casual.
My playtime is spread across 3 different platform and multiple accounts if you didn't know that.

I claimed I have experience of playing against plats and diamonds, and even you can't really deny that. I didn't claim I have hundreds of hours of ranked experience at platinum and diamond.

Regardless Platinum is platinum, because I will get games in the same "high level" bracket that you are talking about, low play time won't make it start putting me in games with bronze, silvers and low golds. Nor can I get to plat if I didn't know how to play high level games regardless of my play time. If it was that simple when everyone would be running around with a plat.

nOoblet16

I'm dropping a full disagreement on that one. Servers is unviable now. It used to be you sit one guy in there to watch the L windows, either on the reinforced hatch or behind the servers. That's no longer a feasible set up now since the back two windows can't be contested without run outs.

No half decent player will get caught by a nitro cell while on the window. Soon as they hear the Velcro they'll quick repel down to avoid it.

Legitimately 2 attackers can lock down all of servers now. One repelling on the windows to watch connector and one on L watching the corridor/stairs from outside.
That leaves 3 to get in and plant, watch for run outs, etc.
There's no need to clear the red brick building, since any roamers that side can't contest you if you attack servers.
There's no need to even bring a Thermite or Hibana either since you can enter straight through the windows.
Yea again with the have this there and have that there = win the match. Doesn't work. And no half decent player would cock a nitro next to a window...see how that works ? I guess I only play against shit players then as every single nitro kill I've had were against less than even half decent players. That sort of "no true Scotsman" argument is quite frankly a whole load of shit and has no basis.

And frankly, your rank and the ranks of people you play with/against mean absolutely nothing.
Plus I've played with you before and I know exactly where you fall on the skill curve and trust me, mate, it isn't diamond level.
Lmao dude you played with me like one day...ONE! It wasn't even a full session. Can you even recall what operators I usually play without looking at my stats? If you can't even do that then I guess you have no grounds to judge my skill level on. Beside point me where I claim I have diamond level skill? I specifically said I've played against plats and diamonds...nothing more so don't put words in my mouth. You are presenting yourself as you are some high level player, but I am willing to bet you are around the same level as me..in which case all your talks about how things get affected in high level game is meaningless according to your own beliefs.

On top of that, ranked is not high level play. No matter what ranking you are or play against.!
So then it affects a grand total of zero players here then so why the hell does it matter then? Why talk about something affecting "high level play" and fucking things up when you can't get that outside of tournaments and private games with 9 other highly skilled players that pretty much no where here plays.

It has been obvious and known for ages that people in ESL play a different sort of game than everyone else and their experiences do not align with everyone else playing the game. So just because something is a certain way in ESL, it's not going to be the same for people here...in which case again....why the hell does it matter ?

andycapps

This discussion is basically a microcosm of Siege and the internet in general. One person says this thing sucks, another one says it's great.

Right there, fam.
Indeed.

That's why you always pre cock a C4 before when throwing at a window edge. You can cock it in connected or the other room next to it. Window rappellers are never going to rapidly shift positions like operators on foot. And this whole thing about if you have a Glaz here, a Blackbeard there and someone else somewhere else is just too damn specific for it to be a 100% reliable strategy that works everytime. That's kind of how the game works, and it would've been the same before but doing it while actually playing it is another story.
Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here aside from the C4 part... but you can hear it cock from a long ways away. There's really only one safe-ish angle to throw it from which would be from the connector to the near window... and I don't know what to tell you. Dodging and baiting C4s is a thing. Basic reflexes. You have a fast descend button.

And an operator just sitting around with a cocked C4 is mighty suspicious when droned and not exactly contributing in other ways to the defense.

My playtime is spread across 3 different platform and multiple accounts if you didn't know that.
Yes, I saw, my comments were based on three accounts. If you have a super secret good account I'm all ears.
I claimed I have experience of playing against plats and diamonds, and even you can't really deny that. I didn't claim I have hundreds of hours of ranked experience at platinum and diamond.
By that standard just about everyone who does their placements at the start of the season has 'plat and diamond experience'.
Regardless Platinum is platinum, because I will get games in the same "high level" bracket that you are talking about, low play time won't make it start putting me in games with bronze, silvers and low golds. Nor can I get to plat if I didn't know how to play high level games regardless of my play time. If it was that simple when everyone would be running around with a plat.
Well Plat 3 is far closer objectively to Gold than it is to Diamond. And I don't think based on my experience that I would consider Plat 3 to be "high level" play. I don't know how often you are playing partied up with people but it's not that hard to carry someone to Plat 3 level even if they're the type of player who wouldn't be able to solo queue beyond Silver.

And you've been very dismissive of total play time because you happen to better than some bad players who have spent more time on the game. But this is just the sort of game where you need to spend hundred of hours on ranked to really learn the nuances of the maps and how to play them.

You're the one who threw it out there that you play at a high level to claim some sort of high ground.

This is why ranked is silly. It's just fake high level play to stroke egos. There's really only two tiers, casual and pro-level. None of the differences between ranked and casual mean anything.

andycapps

This is why ranked is silly. It's just fake high level play to stroke egos. There's really only two tiers, casual and pro-level. None of the differences between ranked and casual mean anything.
It means something, it just doesn't mean as much as some people say. Diamond level players are going to be better than silvers and golds. But a diamond level player is likely not going to be better than a pro league player. But I don't think we're really talking about pro league here, are we?

nOoblet16

Indeed.

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here aside from the C4 part... but you can hear it cock from a long ways away. There's really only one safe-ish angle to throw it from which would be from the connector to the near window... and I don't know what to tell you. Dodging and baiting C4s is a thing. Basic reflexes. You have a fast descend button.
And similarly the defender can not take the bait and actually turn the tables around. We can keep going if you want, but if your entire counter argument rests on "but the attacker can just do this" without considering that the defender isn't stupid either and can counter it as well then you aren't really making a point.

And an operator just sitting around with a cocked C4 is mighty suspicious when droned and not exactly contributing in other ways to the defense.
Pulse who is a popular pick can communicate directions of window attacker with anyone in connector or he can stay in there himself and make the throw. Other operators can also check the cameras from anywhere else in the map and communicate with the person in the connector in real time about the window attacker's location. It's not that difficult to do what I'm saying.

No one is suggesting you sit there with it cocked, but you cock it in the connector room for a moment and get the throw when you get the confirmation. The "fast descent" isn't fast enough to escape everytime and EVEN IF the attacker escapes then hey...you've made an opening for yourself and your team.

Well Plat 3 is far closer objectively to Gold than it is to Diamond. And I don't think based on my experience that I would consider Plat 3 to be "high level" play. I don't know how often you are playing partied up with people but it's not that hard to carry someone to Plat 3 level even if they're the type of player who wouldn't be able to solo queue beyond Silver.
The should play with some of the other people here then. Cause they would surely appreciate any help in getting up to platinum.

And you've been very dismissive of total play time because you happen to better than some bad players who have spent more time on the game. But this is just the sort of game where you need to spend hundred of hours on ranked to really learn the nuances of the maps and how to play them.

You're the one who threw it out there that you play at a high level to claim some sort of high ground.
Yes everyone I play against is bad, cause I suck..ok thanks. I've been with the game since launch and my total play time has been well over 200hours, you don't play a magically different game in ranked. The game does not change in online matches, the strats and playstyle are still other exact same and the players you play against are still around your level. There are some changes but the difference between casual and ranked is minor compared to the difference between those two and ESL level. And I doubt anyone here arguing with me is even close to an ESL level player.

All I said is that I do have experience of playing against Diamonds and Platinums, which is 100% the truth because you play against those in that bracket, can you deny that? So don't assume things without considering the context or realising what I am trying to say. I didn't throw it around for the sake of it or to brag, if you keep mentioning "high level play" to dismiss any opinion I make then I'm going to mention that I do have experience of what I consider high level play. If your definition of high level play is different then good for you but you aren't an ESL level player either and neither is anyone else here.

Disgraced

I don't think that's necessarily true, but I do think the definition of "high level play" is hazy. My regulars and I craft strats and comps in the R6 tactics app and practice them in customs for use in ranked. For three seasons now we're a mix of high gold and plat (and we're all level 90-200). What we do... definitely isn't casual and we're not the only nerds doing that sort of thing.

nOoblet16

It means something, it just doesn't mean as much as some people say. Diamond level players are going to be better than silvers and golds. But a diamond level player is likely not going to be better than a pro league player. But I don't think we're really talking about pro league here, are we?
Exactly, we shouldn't even be talking about Pro league here in this discussion. Anytime someone says "high level play" in this discussion we are having right now, I am going to assume they are talking about themselves and their own experience, as such refering to plat and up in online game modes. Pro league is out of discussion as it does not affect anyone here. I don't wanna argue about what's possible and not in Pro league games when both myself and the person arguing with me have never played a single Pro league match.

Which is why dismissing my opinion because "hurr durr I'm just a low plat and not diamond and as such don't know what high level online play is" is ridiculous.

Right there, fam.

Do I say anywhere in that quote that I am diamond myself? If you assumed that then that's on you. You get matched against Diamonds frequently when you are in plat don't you. If playing against platinum and diamond is not having experience of it then what is? Being diamond yourself? Cause then by that merit you haven't experienced it either cause you are just a plat 2.

So don't come in here riding that high horse to dismiss my arguments when you yourself are not at the level that you are claiming I need to be at to really know what's up !

Disgraced

A clip I've been wanting to post from a few nights ago.

giphy.gif

And similarly the defender can not take the bait and actually turn the tables around. We can keep going if you want, but if your entire counter argument rests on "but the attacker can just do this" without considering that the defender isn't stupid either and can counter it as well then you aren't really making a point.
That window fight applies just about everywhere in the generic sense. Sometimes the defender is going to win and sometimes the attacker is going to win. Sure. But what does matter here is the actual positions, and the defenders positions are greatly limited. It's just the nature of the change in the map. The north window rappels are much safer, and in turn that makes the positions inside of servers that made it an easy hold really unsafe.

You know there's an operator in this game called Pulse, who can see through walls and communicate with others and who also just so happens to have access to C4. He is also a popular defender pick. Other operators can also check the cameras from anywhere in the map and communicate with the person in the connector in real time about the window attacker's location.
Who cares? If you're up on the window already you should be able to shoot a C4 guy peeking since the connector is the only thing you have to watch. The other server windows are going to deny any other toss from inside the servers. The jump outs aren't that good. The whole thing is an attacker advantage now.
No one is suggesting you sit there with it cocked, but you cock it in the connected room for a moment and get the throw when you get the confirmation. The "fast descent" isn't fast enough to escape everytime and EVEN IF the attacker escapes then hey...you've made an opening for yourself and your team.
How so? They just rappel back up after the C4 misses and keep living the good life...
What 3 accounts ? I have only listed 2 in GAF.
Same Xbox name showed up on PC.
Why don't you play with some of the other people here then? We'll see how well you can carry people cause they would surely appreciate any help in getting up to platinum.
Because I already have people I play with? It's simple math, a 4 man group that's Plat Star can carry a single guy to Plat 3. If you keep playing with the same people over time your skill ranks merge. When I first started the game it was with some people who were Plat/Diamond... I very quickly got into Plat myself despite being largely clueless. And if I solo queued afterwards I'd put some poor randoms at a disadvantage.
Yes everyone I play against is bad, cause I suck..ok thanks. I've been with the game since launch and my total play time has been well over 200hours, you don't play a magically different game in ranked. The game does not change in online matches, the strats and playstyle are still other exact same and the players you play against are still around your level. There are some changes but the difference between casual and ranked is minor compared to the difference between those two and ESL level. And I doubt anyone here arguing with me is even close to an ESL level player.
The ESL stuff is a red herring. Pro League doesn't even play Kanal and hasn't for a long time. 200 hours isn't a lot for this game, especially if most it is in casual. And yes casual basically is a different game. The fact that defenders don't pick what they're defending guarantees it. You can't pick a coherent set of operators for a planned defense beyond GUESSING the location you're going to get. If you're not playing real defenses you're not really learning the dynamics of how the game plays out.
All I said is that I do have experience of playing against Diamonds and Platinums, which is 100% the truth because you play against those in that bracket, can you deny that? So don't assume things without considering the context or realising what I am trying to say. I didn't throw it around for the sake of it or to brag, if you keep mentioning "high level play" to dismiss any opinion I make then I'm going to mention that I do have experience of what I consider high level play. If your definition of high level play is different then good for you but you aren't an ESL level player either and neither is anyone else here.
Feel free to backtrack and say you misspoke. But you said you play at a Diamond level. Not that you've played against Diamonds. There was nothing ambiguous about your wording.

I've made Diamond before but being honest with myself I don't consider myself a Diamond-level player as I know I don't play consistently at that level. If I didn't ease off with the number of games I would have gone back down to Plat before that season ended.

Disgraced

I just realized something. So rain apparently isn't possible with all of the other effects in this game... but that doesn't mean a map couldn't have thunder and lightning, and create the same atmosphere with some puddles and wet asphalt. That'd be fucking dope.

OG Kush

I just realized something. So rain apparently isn't possible with all of the other effects in this game... but that doesn't mean a map couldn't have thunder and lightning, and create the same atmosphere with some puddles and wet asphalt. That'd be fucking dope.

Rain isn't possible in this game? WTF? Where did you read that?

Disgraced

Rain isn't possible in this game? WTF? Where did you read that?
Take it with lumps of salt since I don't remember specifics, but I believe Iceycat brought it up in one of his videos about a potential map leak (Skull Rain, maybe?). I believe it's not that it's outright impossible, but that plus the destruction system and all that comes with it, weather like that would kill the game on console—at least the game at 60. And that makes too much sense and Iceycat's videos are too well-researched (if it was Iceycat) for me to believe I'm just pulling this out of my ass or dreamed about it or something.

andycapps

Take it with lumps of salt since I don't remember specifics, but I believe Iceycat brought it up in one of his videos about a potential map leak (Skull Rain, maybe?). I believe it's not that it's outright impossible, but that plus the destruction system and all that comes with it, weather like that would kill the game on console—at least the game at 60. And that makes too much sense and Iceycat's videos are too well-researched (if it was Iceycat) for me to believe I'm just pulling this out of my ass or dreamed about it or something.
No, I think you're right. Think the problem is the amount of RAM that consoles have combined with what is already running in the game wouldn't allow it. I can't post the video or the quote, but I do remember this coming up before.

nOoblet16

No, I think you're right. Think the problem is the amount of RAM that consoles have combined with what is already running in the game wouldn't allow it. I can't post the video or the quote, but I do remember this coming up before.
They don't really need to do actual particle based rain as alpha based rain would be good enough, those aren't really all that expensive if your game is already capable of drawing alpha transparencies well without much performance issues, which in Siege's case is true. It all comes down to available fillrate. They might need to update their renderer and optimise performance a bit but imo it's not something out of realm of possibility because I don't think Siege's renderer is pushing the console so much that there is no room for improvements at all (ala the removal of holster animation in Mass Effect 2/3 due to memory).

I think the other thing that might cause issues but not something we'd consider is the shaders, rain means utilising all sorts of wet shaders and there'd be more than one type to consider. Also imagine if a window breaks and the dry wood is now on wet floor, it now has to have that shader too. It sounds simple but we don't know what or how their engine is and whether they can just add new shaders to an existing game just like that if they want to.

Perhaps we'll see the newly updated engine in a sequel if it ever comes out or if one day they overhaul the engine and release it via updates.

andycapps

Yeah they're not going to overhaul the engine for this. Slight performance tweaks maybe, but I think we're past those even. At this point it's bug fixes, introducing new operators, and new maps.

nOoblet16

It all depends on how long they want to support the game really, if they plan on putting out a sequel in next 2 years then yea it's never happening. But if this game is the only thing they want to work on for the foreseeable future then it can happen. I'm not necessarily talking about a total overhaul that changes the look of the game as well (ala Warframe 2-3 years after launch) but just minor to moderate overhaul where most changes are back end optimisations.

With games moving to games as a service model it's more likely to see things like these happening.

Foxxsoxx

It all depends on how long they want to support the game really, if they plan on putting out a sequel in next 2 years then yea it's never happening. But if this game is the only thing they want to work on for the foreseeable future then it can happen. I'm not necessarily talking about a total overhaul that changes the look of the game as well (ala Warframe 2-3 years after launch) but just minor to moderate overhaul where most changes are back end optimisations.

With games moving to games as a service model it's more likely to see things like these happening.

I can't see them not working on a sequel. I just hope it's not incredibly far off.

It's the only explanation of why so little work is going into the game when it's becoming very, very popular on Youtube. Some of these guys are pulling in a million views per Siege video and the interest is definitely there and has been growing for a while. Pretty mindblowing how this game revived itself from such a horrible launch.

Auctopus

I wonder how they could sell a sequel.

So, it has to be a brand-new game on a new engine but do operators carry over? Are there a new set of Vanilla operators who are bastardisations of the original ones?

I feel they'd have to make some significant changes/improvements to be able to sell the title at £50.

CrayToes

I wonder how they could sell a sequel.

So, it has to be a brand-new game on a new engine but do operators carry over? Are there a new set of Vanilla operators who are bastardisations of the original ones?

I feel they'd have to make some significant changes/improvements to be able to sell the title at £50.

I'd be happy to see most of the operators carry over with maybe 10 new ones. 6-8 new maps plus a couple from Siege. Maybe remaster the rest over the course of the next 12 months. Big engine improvements with more environmental effects, weather, dynamic maps etc. and a more fleshed out TH mode with a full co-op campaign?

The promise of a more stable infrastructure would be enough to get me to drop £40 day 1.

Give IQ the ability to scan mute jammers from even further away and I'm there with you.

Oh man, I'd definitely be diamond with that kinda buff.

Speaking of IQ, I wish they'd use Jackals helmet ability as a template to rework her. There's little reason to restrict her ability to a scanner plus pistol rather than a HUD overlay like Jackal.

I can't even remember the last time I used her ability inside a building because of how cumbersome her ability is to use (as opposed to just scanning for Valk cams outside in relative safety).

CrayToes

Oh man, I'd definitely be diamond with that kinda buff.

Speaking of IQ, I wish they'd use Jackals helmet ability as a template to rework her. There's little reason to restrict her ability to a scanner plus pistol rather than a HUD overlay like Jackal.

I can't even remember the last time I used her ability inside a building because of how cumbersome her ability is to use (as opposed to just scanning for Valk cams outside in relative safety).

Ubisoft doesn't care about IQ mains. All 3 of you just need to get over it.

Disgraced

I've always vehemently disagreed with this and I'll give you a reason: aesthetics. Her wrist-mounted flip display is stylish as shit. It's unique. It's believable. And guess what? Kick up the speed even more and the functional difference between it and a HUD is meaningless besides from a HUD completely enveloping the screen (and no access to the primary, ofc). Which, has its own negatives, I believe. The hazy filter on Jackal's HUD does in some cases obscure important details, imo, especially in darker areas.

I think a much better overhaul suggestion is giving her a unique pistol ala Caveira with additonal penetration. Maybe even a machine pistol with sight options.

A HUD for IQ like Jackal would be a redundant, unhelpful buff the same way giving a shield to the Lord like Blackbeard was (when it should've been converted to a sentry gun, actually).

Disgraced

I like the idea of giving her a better pistol. She should also be able to mark electronics for her teammates.
That'd be cool, too. And let's not forget the addition of 'nades to her has actually made her a pretty damn viable advanced situational pick, like Monty, Castle, Echo, etc. So she really doesn't need that much more, if anything.

Am I the only one who thinks she's in a really good place right now? There is literally no better counter to those pesky Valk cams than an IQ. She even shits on Pulse in certain situations. Her recent buffs and changes (nades, ignoring team gadgets and seeing defenders on cams) make her so good in the right hands and she's a great addition to the team in most circumstances.

I've always vehemently disagreed with this and I'll give you a reason: aesthetics. Her wrist-mounted flip display is stylish as shit. It's unique. It's believable. And guess what? Kick up the speed even more and the functional difference between it and a HUD is meaningless besides from a HUD completely enveloping the screen (and no access to the primary, ofc). Which, has its own negatives, I believe. The hazy filter on Jackal's HUD does in some cases obscure important details, imo, especially in darker areas.

I think a much better overhaul suggestion is giving her a unique pistol ala Caveira with additonal penetration. Maybe even a machine pistol with sight options.

A HUD for IQ like Jackal would be a redundant, unhelpful buff the same way giving a shield to the Lord like Blackbeard was (when it should've been converted to a sentry gun, actually).

The issue I have with a better pistol is that it's not that useful and doesn't really address anything. Her ability isn't very useful to begin with and forcing her to switch to a pistol to use it seems counter-intuitive to her playstyle as a 3 speed operator.

In 3 minute rounds, I'd rather have a quick on/off HUD toggle then pull out a slightly different secondary to be able to use her gadget. If the role of the operator is to provide intel to the team via the gadget, then allowing the player to hop in and out of the gadget while letting them use her already excellent primaries and quick mobility seems far more preferable than a better pistol.

If they gave her a better pistol, I doubt it would make much difference, if any at all. Because why would it? Her ability pretty much sucks except against Valk cams. The HUD toggle would provide her a slight boost in being a more efficient Intel providing Op as she rushes/pushes without gimping her ability to contest defenders because she's using a pistol.

andycapps

The issue I have with a better pistol is that it's not that useful and doesn't really address anything. Her ability isn't very useful to begin with and forcing her to switch to a pistol to use it seems counter-intuitive to her playstyle as a 3 speed operator.

In 3 minute rounds, I'd rather have a quick on/off HUD toggle then pull out a slightly different secondary to be able to use her gadget. If the role of the operator is to provide intel to the team via the gadget, then allowing the player to hop in and out of the gadget while letting them use her already excellent primaries and quick mobility seems far more preferable than a better pistol.

If they gave her a better pistol, I doubt it would make much difference, if any at all. Because why would it? Her ability pretty much sucks except against Valk cams. The HUD toggle would provide her a slight boost in being a more efficient Intel providing Op as she rushes/pushes without gimping her ability to contest defenders because she's using a pistol.
IQ's main appeal at this point is her speed and if you like her gun or not. She's also smaller so has a hitbox comparable to Ash. Really she's only useful to find Pulse, but if a decent attacking team is droning him out, that's not very necessary either. I think her ability needs to be completely rethought out. Maybe you give her silent step like Cav?

Or just take that thought all the way. Give her a better pistol and ability to interrogate downed defenders. Roaming would be a lot more risky. But I don't know if that's the right answer either because Attackers tend to have advantage already. Not sure making them all anchor is a great thing.

Just spit balling here.

Disgraced

No. It absolutely would make a difference. A machine pistol with extra pentration would absolutely address what 'nades already have to an extent—her inability to put her intel to use. A lack of utility. Changing her ability to a HUD won't fundamentally change what she does—what intel she gathers. I agree with Josh, she's in good place as a B-C tier situationally excellent character and by the nature of being a 3-speed an S tier fragger. But I don't think it'd hurt to give her a little more.

No. It absolutely would make a difference. A machine pistol with extra pentration would absolutely address what 'nades already have to an extent—her inability to put her intel to use. A lack of utility. Changing her ability to a HUD won't fundamentally change what she does—what intel she gathers. I agree with Josh, she's in good place as a B-C tier situationally excellent character and by the nature of being a 3-speed an S tier fragger. But I don't think it'd hurt to give her a little more.

I guess I'm a bit confused here. In what situations would a machine pistol with better penetration be more useful than toggling her HUD on and just using her excellent primaries?

She can't do much about mute jammers and batters on the other side of reinforcements anyways without nades through drone holes. So her ability usage scenario actually is very specific and largely comes down to spotting Valkyrie cams. And the downtime between those very specific usage scenario is a huge problem with using her ability. Especially in a game where you are time-starved and have to keep in mind several angles at all times.

If I'm holding an angle and getting spotted by a valk cam behind me, the HUD might incentivize me to actually use the ability. But if I had to pull out a pistol to scan for the cam? Whew. I'll keep getting scanned.

I hate when an operator is balanced around the weapons rather than the ability.

IQ needs improvements and I think she should be able to disable electronics temporarily. This would allow her to bypass certain electronics without destroying it, which can help create a false sense of security, like having defenders think a magpie is active when it's not.

In addition, she needs to be able to outline electronics for teammates, and electronics need certain buffs.

Kapkan should have two traps that are more invisible than they currently are. This also helps colour blind players by making it equally visible to all. Attackers will adapt to this by using their drones, Twitch, and EMPs.

C4 should not beep as often. This helps make them be useful as traps near doors.

Valkyrie cams shouldn't be black, but transparent. Echo drone should be more silent and more invisible (it's visible after it attacks), as Yokai in general can be underpowered and quite easy to detect with decent headphones.

These changes would make IQ much more useful.

She should also lose the grenades which were given to make her more attractive, and they should go back to Capitao.

Disgraced

I guess I'm a bit confused here. In what situations would a machine pistol with better penetration be more useful than toggling her HUD on and just using her excellent primaries?
You're talking about micro situations. I'm talking about why you would pick IQ in the first place, like on Chalet or Skyscraper against a high chance of hidden Black Eyes, or on Consulate against Pulse and Echo. And again, it's not always about being the most useful, it's also about being interesting. There is already a character with a togglable HUD. The answer to your question is that she wouldn't be any less useful with a HUD, but she would be less unique.
She can't do much about mute jammers and batters on the other side of reinforcements anyways without nades through drone holes.
Um? The ceiling/flooring? That's the point of the high pentration weapon. With her current weapons she can't deal with that effectively unless calling it out to say, Buck or Fuze. If she had a high penetration secondary herself she could. This secondary would obviously have more penetration than her primaries, therefore it's better than just giving her a HUD.
If I'm holding an angle and getting spotted by a valk cam behind me, the HUD might incentivize me to actually use the ability. But if I had to pull out a pistol to scan for the cam? Whew. I'll keep getting scanned.
And if there's a camera behind you as IQ you've fucking failed as IQ.
I hate when an operator is balanced around the weapons rather than the ability.
It's not balancing them around the weapons instead of the ability, but in conjunction. That's the game.

All this said, if they overhaul her I wouldn't be surprised with her gaining a HUD. The devs have buckled to highly upvoted ideas (i.e. Glaz) before no matter how costly and shitty they actually turn out to be.

You're talking about micro situations. I'm talking about why you would pick IQ in the first place, like on Chalet or Skyscraper against a high chance of hidden Black Eyes, or on Consulate against Pulse and Echo. And again, it's not always about being the most useful, it's also about being interesting. There is already a character with a togglable HUD. The answer to your question is that she wouldn't be any less useful with a HUD, but she would be less unique.Um? The ceiling/flooring? That's the point of the high pentration weapon. With her current weapons she can't deal with that effectively unless calling it out to say, Buck or Fuze. If she had a high penetration secondary herself she could. This secondary would obviously have more penetration than her primaries, therefore it's better than just giving her a HUD.And if there's a camera behind you as IQ you've fucking failed as IQ.It's not balancing them around the weapons instead of the ability, but in conjunction. That's the game.

All this said, if they overhaul her I wouldn't be surprised with her gaining a HUD. The devs have buckled to highly upvoted ideas (i.e. Glaz) before no matter how costly and shitty they actually turn out to be.

I'm not sure my post warranted such an aggressive tone. And there's plenty of scenarios where you can push into an area without having cleared it of Valk cams. Even more so in certain rooms where cams can be placed while you are still there.

Also, my examples are micro-situatuons sure. But so is a small subset of ceilings/floors on which a high-penetration pistol is useful (as opposed to just firing with your primary in other instances).

As the operator stands, her ability basically exists for a small subset of micro-situations given how her gadget is designed and employed. And in both your suggestion and mine, we are simply addressing a small set of different situations. Given her ability and the state of game balance, unless she is heavily reworked, she will never be more than a highly situational operator in terms of utility. And she doesn't need to be anything more, hence my suggestion of a smaller boost via the HUD rather than a new addition all together.

Disgraced

I'm not sure my post warranted such an aggressive tone.
Yeah, sorry, I'm an ass. And a HUD isn't any smaller an addition than a new gun. I'll reiterate my point that taking away what makes a character unique is a bad idea in a hero shooter (and yes, I called this game a hero shooter).

Yeah, sorry, I'm an ass. And a HUD isn't any smaller an addition than a new gun. I'll reiterate my point that taking away what makes a character unique is a bad idea in a hero shooter (and yes, I called this game a hero shooter).

All good. For me, the HUD is an easy visualization of the concept I would like with IQ. Which is primarily: the ability to use the primary with the gadget. If Ubisoft makes it so a gadget flips up on her arm while you use your primary, I'm okay with that too (or the gadget it integrated on her gun?) I mainly use the Jackal HUD as an easy to point to example of an operator with a gadget that is toggleable fairly quickly without interrupting much of his basic ability to participate in gunfights.

But we'll see how Ubi tackles it. I'd like it if they at least started by reducing the transition time between primary and gadget to see how she shakes out.

Top Bottom