• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Heart Forth Alicia, 2D Metroidvania (W/M/L/PS4/PSV) WiiU@$200k 3DS@$245k

Exactly! A Metroid game involves tons of atmosphere, exploration, great level design, secrets. It's not just bland corridors like Guac that obviously open up in a linear way due to new abilities. You hit the nail on the head.

I honestly don't know if this post is serious or sarcasm. This doesn't happen often. Well done sir!

I'm quite impressed, I gotta say. This has enormous potential for such a small project. Absolutely love the environment art. Not sure about the story or the strange inclusion of live action there, but I don't really care as long as this isn't something with a 3 minute cutscene every 10 minutes.

Yeah, metroidvania is a bizarre genre buzzword which lumps together two somewhat dissimilar things, but the video gives a good idea of what to expect, whatever the fuck it's called shouldn't really change whether it looks appealing to you. In the practical sense that metroidvania is used to describe games similar to SotN, it seems apropos enough here.

Gonna go ahead and back for $15 I think.

Nabs

h4a_s251.png

Vote for the project on Greenlight : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190609144

They should probably link directly to the KS and also include the KS widget on the sidebar.

edit: nice!

pooptest

I want the poster... Some KickStarter's have an option of paying just an extra $# for individual items like that, but I don't see anywhere that this has one (other than getting it from the $150 reward)

Wonko_C

Finally some good looking Mexican-made game. (El Chavo Kart doesn't count) And it's a Metroidvania! I can't back it right now but I will as soon as I can.

Backed, but small pet peeve about all these godly 2D platform games I've donated to and waiting patiently for:

I really want to play them on my PS3, but they're -all- coming out on PC (Steam). :(

Farslain

I've never cared much for kickstarter and video games, but I couldn't resist this game if I tried.

Somehow I think they'll get their 60k quite easily.

Burt

They should probably link directly to the KS and also include the KS widget on the sidebar.

edit: nice!
Yeah, thanks for that catch. Much better now.

I want the poster... Some KickStarter's have an option of paying just an extra $# for individual items like that, but I don't see anywhere that this has one (other than getting it from the $150 reward)

Glad that you like the poster. We're going to be implementing add-ons for the poster and the Talebook at a minimum soon enough, but we wanted to get the basics up and running smoothly before we started complicating things with add-ons. They should be up within the next few days.

And, just to reiterate for all the people asking about ports/consoles, I'm working on an update regarding them now. They're definitely our first priority beyond our initial funding goal and things are trending pretty well, but like I said before, I don't want to make any promises before we get absolute confirmation on everything.

Munin

It looks beautiful but the bit about including live action footage sounds downright bizarre if not pretentious. Such a thing has a high risk of being awkward/cringeworthy/super amateurish looking if it's not done really really well and the few seconds we see at the end...well...it doesn't look terrible but neither does it inspire confidence.

pooptest

Yeah, thanks for that catch. Much better now.

Glad that you like the poster. We're going to be implementing add-ons for the poster and the Talebook at a minimum soon enough, but we wanted to get the basics up and running smoothly before we started complicating things with add-ons. They should be up within the next few days.

And, just to reiterate for all the people asking about ports/consoles, I'm working on an update regarding them now. They're definitely our first priority beyond our initial funding goal and things are trending pretty well, but like I said before, I don't want to make any promises before we get absolute confirmation on everything.

Sweet, thanks for the update. I'm still debating on doing the $60+poster or $100+poster. DECISIONS!

And this would be an amazing Vita game. I really hope you guys hit AND surpass the goal.

No widescreen option, unfortunately. The game is designed with 4:3 in mind, and as you might imagine, increasing the screen real estate like that wouldn't have the best results either visually or in a design sense, especially for a Metroidvania.

true, but it would still be nice if you can support widescreen resolutions from the software side (throw in borders or what not). nvidia and amd drivers are really iffy about fixed aspect ratios these days, where ever other driver update seems to break it.

i just don't want it to stretch and be out of control to do anything about that :/

Rhysser

Banned
You realize that none of that is limited to consoles, right?

Limited to consoles? No, it's not. Much more convenient for many / most people's living room setups? Most likely. As the devs said, there is a large interest for console port stretch goals.

Chaos17

Q : First of all the game looks amazing! Second... is the person who does the voice acting for the narrator Todd Haberkorn?
- Ryan Hicks -

A : The person that does the voice acting is me. Thing is, we didn't have the money to hire someone, so I had to basically make the video myself with what was available! Jonathan's awesome music completely makes up for my narration, hopefully :)
- Alonzo Martin -

I praise the author to have the guts to do it and personally I didn't a problem with his voice at all.

Burt

true, but it would still be nice if you can support widescreen resolutions from the software side (throw in borders or what not). nvidia and amd drivers are really iffy about fixed aspect ratios these days, where ever other driver update seems to break it.

i just don't want it to stretch and be out of control to do anything about that :/

No worries in that regard. The game scales, but it maintains pixel ratio and doesn't stretch. Fullscreen mode already has the borders/bars that you're looking for, and we should be able to get the game tested on a variety of cards and drivers throughout development to make sure there aren't any major or widespread issues.

Crub

I'm glad this is getting backed and all. It's certainly I game I'll want to play. But how come this is gaining so much attention when Flying Hamster II isn't? =(

Chaos17

RWEZZ9.png

I'm glad this is getting backed and all. It's certainly I game I'll want to play. But how come this is gaining so much attention when Flying Hamster II isn't? =(
Imo, it's been months that this project teased me on twitter, showing cool screenshots. I don't know if Flying Hamster did started its campaign before kickstarter launch too.

Flying Hamster II look really good too. But it need 150k to get funded. Also it need 350k to get PS4 and Xbox one port...

Metroidvania > Alex Kidd in terms of current awareness/hype amongst gamers.

(I backed both)

No worry they make enough profit and you might see a PS4 version

At this rate they should hit their goal within 24 more hours, and will hopefully announce PS4/Vita stretch goals soon. :D

If we get the Physical choice, will it still make me tie it to my steam account? Or can we play it off disk like Pier Solar HD?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That waterfall/river around 1:40 in the trailer is SO SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT. I love it. At least this seems to be on the right track to get backed.

I'm the backer who took it above $38k.
emot-3.gif
That's always a neat feeling.

But yeah, this looks really solid and they seem to have a pretty focused idea of what they want to do, a pipeline to make it and a vision for how the game should turn out. I'm happy to back this.

Burt

I'm the backer who took it above $38k.
emot-3.gif
That's always a neat feeling.

But yeah, this looks really solid and they seem to have a pretty focused idea of what they want to do, a pipeline to make it and a vision for how the game should turn out. I'm happy to back this.

Thanks! Still can't believe we're creeping towards $40k on the first day. And yeah, we have a pretty good set up and a great team of people ready to come on board should the Kickstarter get funded. We're going to try and get some of them some visibility throughout the campaig to give everyone a better idea of what they can do.

I'd back at $50 if it guaranteed me a copy for 3DS, digital or otherwise. Great looking work!

We've seen a crazy amount of requests for a 3DS port. We're definitely looking into it. One of the reason we didn't launch with our stretch goals and ports listed is because we didn't want to lock ourselves into anything before we saw the demand from the backers. The amount of 3DS requests we've seen has pretty much vindicated that approach. Hopefully there won't be too many people that passed over never to return again because we didn't have everything listed out on day 1.

If we get the Physical choice, will it still make me tie it to my steam account? Or can we play it off disk like Pier Solar HD?
Although I'm loathe to guarantee anything in that regard before talking directly with distributors, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have the physical version be DRM-free.

Yes! I'm happy to hear that. I want this game on PS4.
Also can't wait to play Cosmic Star Heroine. :D

Talked to one of my friends at Sony and they're reaching out to the developer. Hopefully that means we see a Vita/PS4 version at some point. :)

Awesome, awesome, and thanks! We're getting in touch with people rather shahigh up in Sony, so we might have some good news soon.

Wait what?

I would really love that, I refrain from purchasing digital download only. I really want your game though, so I want to pony up for that physical copy!

Uff duh

Banned
Wow this is looking like its on a good track last night when I backed it was at like almost 3K now its at almost 40K. Sweet. I was the 4th $50 tier backer now there is 62. I have always heard that kickstarters usually pick up steam to the end of the pledge time allotment. If this gets funded are there any stretch goals in mind?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Indies... I love you.

I don't have a cent right now but i wish it the best of luck. Will buy down the line.

Top Bottom