• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owners who upgraded to PS4 Pro, was it worth it?

KORNdoggy

If you have 4k tv? Yes
If you have PSVR? Definately
If you have neither...i'd say no, same goes for xbonex, you just don't really see the differences at normal viewing distances with a 1080p set.

I'm wondering which of the two options to choose. I have about 1k to spend for some credit card rewards. I want to replace my OG PS4 with either a new Slim or the Destiny Pro Bundle. I am trading in my OG for 170 tomorrow. I also need to purchase a 2nd TV for the family so I can play Destiny while they have another TV.

Do I go with the TCL 55" 4KHDR for 600 plus the Pro for 450 or

Just wait for the PS5 and go with a Slim for 269 and a $400 1080p or cheaper 4kTV and maybe a Switch to make up the difference?

I have a 720p plasma right now and a jet engine. I'm not much of a graphics guy but the thought of buying inferior electronics I may hold onto for a while worries me.

Tyaren

In the first couple of months I would always answer if it was worth it with a resounding: YES!! Games like FFXV, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. look absolutely beautiful on the Pro for a 1080p TV owner like me. In recent months however the issue of a missing downsampling option for 1080p TVs came up again and again and I have the feeling it is getting more and more common. Knowing that the PS4 system update 5.0 will also not include forced downsampling, like the Xbox One X will do when it launches, worries me too.
So, today I would say: Yeah, for the most part. Some games like FFXII Zodiac Age or The Last Guardian annoy me very much though.

Chris R

No

Wish I hadn't.

Biggest bummer for me is total support for every game and lack of scaling to other resolutions like 1440p

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Definitely. Even without a 4K display, I feel the improvements in certain games, improvements to VR games, and Boost Mode have been well worth the upgrade.

Fbh

Meh.

I purchased it with a gift card I got from work so it didn't really cost me anything. In that way it's a decent upgrade but overall I just think it's pretty underwhelming.

I think 1440p and 4K are entering the territory of diminishing returns for me. It looks nicer, sure, but not that much and many of the visual gains are lost on me unless I see it running side by side with a 1080p version.
Horizon let's you instantly switch from 4K to a more performance focused mode with lower resolution and I could hardly see the difference (buildings far away had less jaggies...and that's about it)

Support hasn't been that great and I know it's probably my fault but I was hoping for more visual enhancement aside from a basic resolution boost which is what the majority of games are doing. (At least the ones I care for)

For me, HDR continues to be the bigger deal. I just think it gives games a way bigger and more obvious visual enhancement. But that's also supported in the OG Ps4 and a most games don't support it.

As I said. I got it with a gift card and since I also sold my old Ps4 it wasn't a bad deal and I don't mind having it. I enjoy Ps4 exclusives and it's cool to play them in the best way possible.
But in hindsight I should have used the gift card on a Switch

I'm wondering which of the two options to choose. I have about 1k to spend for some credit card rewards. I want to replace my OG PS4 with either a new Slim or the Destiny Pro Bundle. I am trading in my OG for 170 tomorrow. I also need to purchase a 2nd TV for the family so I can play Destiny while they have another TV.

Do I go with the TCL 55" 4KHDR for 600 plus the Pro for 450 or

Just wait for the PS5 and go with a Slim for 269 and a $400 1080p or cheaper 4kTV and maybe a Switch to make up the difference?

I have a 720p plasma right now and a jet engine. I'm not much of a graphics guy but the thought of buying inferior electronics I may hold onto for a while worries me.
Option 1.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'd skip it if you have a PSVR and a 4khdr tv. They don't work togther. If you have one or ther other it's worth it.

PJV3

Yes for the vr improvements, not too fussed otherwise and any later I would be thinking about PS5 instead.

I disagree that you *need* a 4K TV.

Try sitting 6 feet from a 70" 1080p set and deal with jaggies and pixel artifacts. My Pro has nearly eliminated the issue on top giving me better performance and general iq for all the supported games.

Boost mode kicks ass too.

I'm very happy with mine, even as a 1080p tv owner.

Sure, downsampling support is spotty at best right now, but I've gone from having a 'good enough' console to one with power to spare that means everything I buy from now on will be native res, if not better, with much more consistent performance.

Add to that boost mode, and it's more than enough to get me through the rest of this generation without any compromises, and should I want to upgrade to a 4K TV before then, its ready for it.

TrojanAg

Yes, especially for the boost it gave to PSVR. It's a noticeable difference. I'm still dissapointed by the lack of effort Sony is putting into having downsampling in their games though.

Davide

I'm trying to decide between upgrading to a Slim for $99 for a Pro for $219 CAD. I have a 1080p TV. 1080p Remote Play would be a plus. Battlefront II will be 1080p instead of 900p.

sviri

The biggest tangible for me has been unlocked framerate on Dark Souls 3. The 1440p Uncharted is awesome too. I'm sure the next batch of AAA's are really going to let it shine.

Still pretty bummed about the lack of a Bloodborne framerate unlock though.

Yes it was worth it. Make sure to get a nice 4K TV too though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes, eventhough I don't have a 4K TV the difference is very noticeable and even more when the Base game doesn't even hit 1080p on OGPS4 like Nier/Assassins Creed and Battlefield.
And if you have PSVR it's even better.

witness

Nah, with the note that I only have a 1080 TV. The difference is noticeable but not worth the price I paid. Still almost as loud as the white Destiny console I replaced.

iavi

Still rocking my PSPoor and see no need to upgrade yet

PS exclusives at 4k right now aren't the biggest priority to me, especially since I'll just game on my PC for the higher spec and most of the games I've been playing on the PS4 don't even support the Pro--P5 etc

Ironically enough, the one thing that I do wish i had from the Pro is its 1080p remote play--Remote play is the killer feature of this gen for me and Sony locking it behind a console paywall is ridiculous. The Xbox One has been able to do 1080p / "very high" from the beginning and it's weaker than even the OG PS4. Only letting me do 720p on my PSPoor is annoying

Toe-Knee

Yup. I was slowly moving to playing multi plats on pc but the pro drew me back into the Playstation ecosystem.
. Infinite warfare looked amazing at launch and everything since has been even better.

I have a 4k hdr tv though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, not really. I don't have 4K tv to enjoy improved visuals.

The only reason I went with PS4pro because my OG PS4 was breaking down and I thought if I have to buy another PS4 then I might as well go with Pro.

BigEmil

PS4 Slim is good enough, no reason to get Pro when PS5 will release in 2/3 more years

PS5 will get all Pro patched PS4 games too including boost mode

lynux3

Worth every penny if you already have a 4K TV or are in the market for one down the line. If you're in the market and are looking for a cheap 4K TV, you can't go wrong with that new TCL P series 4K TV. Horizon Zero Dawn looks pretty damn stunning with HDR @ 4K checkerboard.

Formosa

I have came into a conclusion after reading a few comments:

99% of People that says no don't have a decent 4K HDR TV.
Because it's so obvious the image quality looks so much better on the PRO with 4K TV than a PS4 on a 1080P.

Kabanossi

I didn't buy PSVR until I had my PS4 Pro and I haven't had a chance to test PSVR on a normal PS4. I've heard many games are better on PS4 Pro though. I tried the different modes in Horizon: ZD and I'm happy I could play it with a tad better framerate, but the difference wasn't mind-blowing.

All in all I feel a bit underwhelmed. Should have waited a few months for some impressions before trading in my original PS4. Could have lived with my OG PS4 until the launch of PS5 but what's done is done. I'll learn from my mistakes and I'll wait and see before purchasing an Xbox One X.

Neith

Banned
PC and 1080p user. Of course. I would never go back. As a BF1 player it is almost mandatory.

If you have a 4KTV, yes. If you're getting an Xbox One X or don't have a 4KTV, no.

This answer is preposterous to me.

You are getting a Pro to play Sony games. You know, the company with all the games exclusive to its machine?

I have a PC that would melt the Xbox X. I love what the Pro offers. Does it need a couple more games to be patched? Yes. Does it do what it needs to do for the most part? Yes. I have an SSD in it too.

I would never go back. And 1080p downsampling is amazing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So my girlfriend got me it for christmas which is awesome.. that being said I don't really notice major differences. For me I guess it was worth it though because the disk drive makes a weird sound, so I have a feeling that it's going to give out sooner than later.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yes, better performance in many games.

I couldn't care less about 4K, though. I already have a high-end PC if I want to play pretty games. But performance (higher framerates, better frametime, etc.) is something I can't live without.

saker

Neo Member
i got mine from my electricity provider when i renewed my contract. it was worth it because of 4K. Playing ESO atm and i am impressed of the enhancements.
My first gen PS4 was very loud and if you have the same issues just renew the thermal paste. youtube will help and mine is very calm but i don't use it anymore because of Pro.

Listonosh

I bought it without owning a 4K TV at first, and really appreciated the upgrades over the base PS4. Even something seemingly trivial like being able to use a 5GHz wifi band was already such big QOL improvement for me.

I eventualy upgraded to a 4K TV, and I'm definitely digging the upgrades in some games like HDR and 4K resolution. The hard drive bump is great as well, though admittedly I already had a 2TB hdd so that wasn't a big selling point for me personally.

I also don't feel the need to have two 4K machines, so I'm rocking the OG Xbox One, and am quite content with that.

Top Bottom