• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owners who upgraded to PS4 Pro, was it worth it?

Noctix

I upgraded for Horizon tbh and it was worth it. I don't even have a 4k tv. I would definitely play through Witcher 3 once it gets patched in i already have played it on ps4 and pc will triple dip.

Apt101

Yes, I think so. I had a 4K TV and a PS VR. The differences between 1080 and 4K are obvious. The gains in VR a lot more subtle, but also worth it.

And finally boost mode makes a world of difference in some games, negligible in others. Still, it's nice to have.

GHG

Yes, even as a 1080p user but I pretty much got mine for free with air miles rewards.

I'd still buy one at full price just because of how stupendous Horizon looks on the machine in resolution mode.

I keep hearing completely different things about the noise levels, are some PS4 Pros just louder than others?

It's a lottery. My OG unit is silent but my pro can make fan noise at times. I don't care enough to return it as my apartment has quite a bit if ambient noise anyway (air conditioning) and I have a 5.1 surround system that I always crank up when playing games so I can never hear it unless I mute the game to take a call or something.

Mogwai

I keep hearing completely different things about the noise levels, are some PS4 Pros just louder than others?
It's a lottery. Stated numerous times here and said by Digital Foundry as well.

Still, peoples' sensitivity to noise is very subjective.

ron_bato

Some games just cause a lot of stress on the system, sometimes for the weirdest reasons. Like in NBA 2k17, the fan is mostly silent during gameplay, then it ramps up when you stay in the menus too long I think. Other games cause similar reactions.

To answer the OP, yeah, I am pretty happy. Double the space, improved share caputre settings (Streaming at a higher quality, and sharper game captures are small things that really add up nicely to the overall experience), and excellent output for 4k supported games, all make the experience very good for me. It helps a lot of course that I have a 4k hdr tv, and the games I play primarily are supported by the Pro (NBA 2K, Uncharted 4 MP, HZD, BF1, Titanfall 2)

I'd feel a bit disappointed if I only owned a 1080p tv though due to the fact that downsampling is not universal.

I also wish that more of the older catalog of games received support (Until Dawn for example, and even a game like The Order).

I have an OLED tv. It's beyond "if I should" and more like "when". If I had a 1080p TV nope I wouldn't have. Sony hasn't pushed out a system wide supersampling mode which makes zero sense while MS is for the new Xbone. If you don't have a 4K TV there is little benefit such as very spotty game coverage for supersampling.

ffvorax

No 4K tv here, but I have a PSVR.

Bought it just because of it, and the difference is HUGE.

So for me it was worth it.

Davide

So I upgraded to Pro today with a 1080p TV. Boost mode for The Witcher 3 is great, I'm not sure how much the patches help but Novigrad is completely smooth at 30fps constantly. I hope there was a 1080p patch for Battlefront.

Remote Play is disappointing so far and doesn't look 1080p.

i sold my ps4 for $200 so paying $200 to upgrade was a no brainer for me. it also launched in the same november with the best 4k tv deals around so that was also a deciding factor

Davide

Mine appears to have scratch lines in the middle shiny pits of the console at the front that were there out of the box, is that normal? It also sounds bad inserting discs.

Hell yea.

Sold my launch PS4 for $150 and was able to pay for the PS4 Pro for $250. It was a great deal since i spend a lot of time on PS4 games and I own a PSVR.

Jamiaro

I'm really pleased with the responses in this thread. I got a launch-ps4 and I got a 4K-TV a month back.

I'll buy the Pro as soon as possible.

Yes but I think that you're only getting the full benefits of a Pro when coupled with a 4K TV (and one preferably with good HDR). I found myself always wondering "what if" when I only had a 1080p TV and caved after about 6 months of Pro ownership and bought a 4K TV.

I'd say only get a Pro if you already have a 4K TV or have definite plans to get one soon.

TrutaS

It was worth it for my 4k TV. That's what it's for, so it's worth it- must games I've played recently have improved resolutions, and the ones that don't have boost mode instead.

dinoroar

Banned
My slim PS4 got burgled so I replaced it with a pro to go with my 4K/HDR TV and it's pretty wonderful. The thing looks like a PS4 big mac tho.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Worth it with a 4KTV, not really otherwise. I came into a bit of money a few months ago which softened the blow but I wouldn't advise anyone to dedicate their savings to a setup - a standard PS4 and HDTV is honestly good enough.

Replaying Uncharted 4 though and hoowee, it's just gorgeous.

Chao

Worth for me because it was only 160 after I traded in my og PS4 and two shitty games -watch dogs, which came with the console and infamous second son which I got for 20€-.

In the end I believe it was a fair price for the upgrade in performance in some games and 4K capabilities, not to mention the extra 500gb of storage which I needed.

Thorrgal

In my case for the noise alone. The OG one sounded like a 1980's washing machine, suffered from random restarts etc...so it had to go. I got 130e out of it and got the Pro for 335 on a no-VAT sweet deal from a big retailer here in spain.

I could've gotten the S but I decided to future-proof it. Got the PSVR this summer and will get a 4k tv next year.

All in all, yes, was totally worth it

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So I upgraded to Pro today with a 1080p TV. Boost mode for The Witcher 3 is great, I'm not sure how much the patches help but Novigrad is completely smooth at 30fps constantly. I hope there was a 1080p patch for Battlefront.

Remote Play is disappointing so far and doesn't look 1080p.

Did you change the Remote Play settings to 1080p? Also, if your network isn't up to it, it will bump the resolution down.

watdaeff4

I'm debating to getting the Destiny 2 bundle.

I've seen some random posts over the last few months that some games do worse on the Pro than the OG. Is this a big issue or just message board hyperbole?

Also for those who have/had both and have a Vita - does it improve remote play on it?

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what the most demanding games for the PRO are? I'd like to put mine through its paces, it seems to make quite a bit of noise in HZD, want to know how bad it really is.

BigDug13

Made Just Cause 3 playable. Made Sleeping Dogs playable. Improved Titanfall 2. Faster loading times. Horizon got me to buy a 4K TV.

My launch system was starting to randomly eject discs for no reason so I'm glad I upgraded.

Rellik

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what the most demanding games for the PRO are? I'd like to put mine through its paces, it seems to make quite a bit of noise in HZD, want to know how bad it really is.

Only time mine has a made noise was during Uncharted 4.

rpg_fan

I wasn't going to upgrade originally, but of course I did it anyway. I'm not really disappointed, but I would have been fine with the original ps4.

I play my PS4 a shit ton so in that sense it was. Being able to play FFXV, Horizon and Nioh at their best was definitely worth the price of admission, but overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't care about resolution bumps and pristine IQ.

It's why I now feel so apathetic towards the Xbox One X, despite it packing more of a performance punch than the Pro. Just give me a PS5 in 2020.

Mine appears to have scratch lines in the middle shiny pits of the console at the front that were there out of the box, is that normal? It also sounds bad inserting discs.

None of that sounds normal. Where did you buy it?

MIMF

I am not happy with my pro, mainly because how noisy it is when playing pro patched games. I have tried many things to try to workaround this issue but no luck, I am so upset of this that I am thinking in selling it and getting a normal ps4 slim.

Quint519

Neo Member
At full price no.If you can get a trade in offer for your current system or sell high then sure.I wish Sony sold some of those 1080p hdr tvs in North America. It would increase an already great value in the slim with hdr support.

To be honest, it's a pretty meh upgrade and I've got a fucking awesome 4k TV.
Don't get me wrong, it's nicer having the higher resolution and fidelity...but it's just such a minor amount more than anything truly breathtaking.

Honestly - not really and I have a 4k tv.

The fans on that thing when it is kicking out 4k are a little loud - I would prefer a quieter console and 1080p. Maybe should have got the slim.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
I have an Xbox One S, PS4 and PSVR.

I was looking into upgrading to Xbox One X or PS4 in the coming months. Playing PS4 more just now, and with little exclusives bar sea of thieves coming out that interest me and a large backlog on PS4 (Horizon, Uncharted 4 to name a couple) and with PSVR I am tempted to jump to the Pro.

People who have, how do you find the Pro? Was it a worthwhile upgrade overall? Any annoyances you have?

In your position the most strategic choice is the xbox one x since you probably played all the exclusive sony had to offer. For 100$ dollars more you got a 4k player and on paper about 50% more power than the pro

Does Bloodborne play any better on the Pro?

I've pre ordered the White Destiny 2 Pro and really hoping this "boost mode" helps the game a bit

I'll be running it on a 1080p monitor for the moment though

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a 4K HDR TV, so yeah, I think it was. I probably wouldn't if I was still on a 1080p set.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely not worth it. If resale was better on it I would've sold it already. I'll gladly use it for my PS4 library but if I had a local trade come up for a slim with a lot of games I would take it.

Top Bottom