• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys answer unrecognizable phone numbers?

Estellex

I have numbers from my local area constantly calling me. I don't know who it is and it is unrecognizable. I even search up the number and I don't recognize the caller.

SO I just ignore and block the numbers.

What to you guys do for unrecognizable phone numbers?

JP

Nope, never.

If they don't leave me a message then I block them instantly. I'd much rather risk missing calls from people that I know than risk being interrupted but people I don't. On my mobile I actually switch "so not disturb" on and set it so that it will only ring or show me a notification if they are listed in my contacts.

It will still show me a red badge alert on the Phone icon to show that I was called but that's only visible when I unlock the phone and see it on the icon.

Cimarron

Nope. It’s a habit that I picked up while in the Air Force. Back then I was always afraid that an unlisted number would be ‘The Call’.

Blam

Always because the people around me that call numbers are real people, and I always firmly tell them I'll sue them, if they continue harrassing me.

HMM

Neo Member
Yeah, I get numbers from South East Asia or Africa about once a week but they are always different numbers so blocking doesn't work, also they only ring for literally half a second which is weird. Kind of want to change number but I can't be bothered to update websites, companies, government agencies, family and friends with a new number.

Bluecondor

Never.

Naturally though, my 79 year old Dad answered a random phone call yesterday and almost fell for the "Your Windows key is expired. You need to upgrade now...." scam:

"Is this legitimate? How do I find out?

I got a call from someone who said my license fee for my Windows Microsoft key has expired. This is an emergency. I have to call this number: 866 386 7643 to un-expire it.

I get so many of these call I don't know what's good or not. I don't trust anyone.

Any ideas?"

I immediately replied and told my Dad that this is a scam, and sent him this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l/92a7e47b-1f19-4a0c-ab71-9ca4c33b3d3a?auth=1

These unsolicited phone calls are no joke. They really go after people hard.

Herne

I wish these people would call me just once so I can act all confused and "I'm new to this computer lark" about the start button on my Amiga. Or on GEOS on my C64.

But yeah I answer unrecognisable numbers, I never get unsolicited calls.

Syriel

I answer them.

Most of the time it's just a recording (boring).

If it's a salesperson violating do-not-call, and I have the time, I make it entertainment.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Short answer, no. Sometimes you’ll get an important call, plus if you know what city the call if from. What really pisses me off his how unhuman these callers are “do we have your concent” “this call is monitored” I’m pretty sure real people don’t talk like that

lachesis

I answer most of the time, but if it's a robo call, I instantly hang up. If there's a person claiming this is so and so police officer / fire fighter in stern voice - I instantly hang up. If it's Allison from account department, I also hang up too.

Yes, so I just hang up. No good byes and nothing. Then I just block those numbers - but they seem to change the number all the time.

Yes because they are telemarketers usually and if you ignore call they will try again and again... so it's easier to just tell them no. Also it's kinda funny to try to push them out of their script :D

LoveCake

No, not unless I am expecting a call from somebody that doesn't usually call me like a delivery company for example, I always google the number that called me though.

Syriel

Short answer, no. Sometimes you’ll get an important call, plus if you know what city the call if from. What really pisses me off his how unhuman these callers are “do we have your concent” “this call is monitored” I’m pretty sure real people don’t talk like that

If they tell you that the call is being recorded/monitored, then you can do so as well (or you can just tell them that you are recording them).

YouTube fodder if you can get them worked up.

Joe T.

I answer everything, never know who it will be - a loot box I don't have to pay for.

It's usually a wrong number, but if it happens to be someone wanting to scam me or conduct a survey I have no interest in there's a chance I'll take the opportunity to horse around with them and make them regret the call.

Nester99

I answer them,
What's the worst that could happen? Minor annoyance?

I also have the skill and willing to end a conversation I no longer want to be part of (ie telemarking)

"sorry I am going to stop you, I am not interested, don't waste your time with me and have a great night" click.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nope. First I check if they left a message and then I try and do a reverse lookup online. If they pop up then I may or may not block them.

nush

I always ignore them, everyone I want to talk to is in my phone already or they have multiple other methods to contact me.

Zog

Banned
No, they can leave a voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail I will check the number online to see if it's a legitimate business I want to talk to and if not, I block the number.

Mistake

Around asia it's a pretty normal thing, so I turn off sms notifications entirely. Anyone that wants to contact me will have to use wechat or another app. Calls I answer, since they don't speak English anyway.

AlphaMale

Nope, never.

If they don't leave me a message then I block them instantly. I'd much rather risk missing calls from people that I know than risk being interrupted but people I don't. On my mobile I actually switch "so not disturb" on and set it so that it will only ring or show me a notification if they are listed in my contacts.

It will still show me a red badge alert on the Phone icon to show that I was called but that's only visible when I unlock the phone and see it on the icon.

I totally do this!!
Yeah, I never pick up a number I don't recognize and if it's a friend, they'll leave a message for sure.

k91191

I answered an unrecognized number last week. They spoofed my own number, only changing the order of the last 4 digits.

I answered and the guy said my Visa MasterCard was eligible for a credit increase.

I asked him specifically what card this was for.

He then proceeded to name 5 different cards. "This is for your Visa MasterCard Amex Discover American Express."

I then pointed out that he just named 5 different credit card companies. He immediately hung up.

I had a really good laugh afterwards.

Drain You

I pick up every call I get. Never know who its going to be. Maybe an old friend, maybe someone using someone else phone in an emergency, or a telemarketer. Latter case tell em to fuck off. No reason not to pick up what have you got to lose.

womfalcs3

Banned
I don't, because it's typically somebody from work calling on weekends or at night. If I don't receive an email after the missed call, I know the issue was not serious. If I get an email, I call back.

I have all my family and friends on my phone.

Top Bottom