• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

Mr-Joker

Banned
I mean...sure their handling sucks, but this is still piracy...right?

Emulation is legal provided you use a ROM created from your original product and not one downloaded from the Internet as those Rom are illegal.

Though however some places in the world, such as the UK are making it illegal to even create a back up copy of movies, music CD and games, not that they have any way of proofing that someone broke the law.

pislit

Sure, I prefer to just have games for free. Why bother paying for shit.

pls let's not act like more than a tiny niche actually rips and dumps their own roms or even owns the cartridges.

Let's also not act that Gaffers do not belong to this "tiny" niche. Remember, you are in a enthusiast board with a significant hump for membership and Police State-esque moderation not in 4chan.

Robin64

Being European, a big part of getting the SNES Mini is for, finally, official 60Hz releases with a good quality image. I love my SNES collection, but it's all 50Hz (save for a few) and just not great to play these days.

And then when they released SNES VC on Wii U, some were still 50Hz, like Super Metroid, which is a damn crime.

Emulation is legal provided you use a ROM created from your original product and not one downloaded from the Internet as those Rom are illegal.

Though however some places in the world, such as the UK are making it illegal to even create a back up copy of movies, music CD and games, not that they have any way of proofing that someone broke the law.

Curious how the UK could enforce that if they are questioning a guy who actually owns an original copy of the product? That's going to be a sticky law to enforce if it comes to that.

I bought a pi when the nes classic came out - enjoyed it for the novelty but i found it to be laggy and a general hassle overall with my setup. I know i could customize it etc. but i wasnt interested in that.

Anyways id rather have a vc or nflx service on my switch than a pi.

Its a neat little alternative for emulation, but not worth it for me

What exactly is bad about “Nintendo’s handling” of the SNES Classic? The thing isn’t even out yet, Nintendo doesn’t control how retailers sell them or notify the public about them, nor does Nintendo have any way to stop the hordes of scalpers from swarming the sites the moment they are available. It doesn’t matter how many of the things Nintendo made, Day One of preorders will always sell out in instants after what happened with the NES Classic due to the greed of scalpers.

Seik

Banned
8bitdo controllers are pretty awesome, though.

And wireless.

I read that some people end up having problems with the D-Pad over time last year when I was aiming to get one. It's pretty much what's holding me from buying one right away.

danm999

What exactly is bad about “Nintendo’s handling” of the SNES Classic? The thing isn’t even out yet, Nintendo doesn’t control how retailers sell them or notify the public about them, nor does Nintendo have any way to stop the hordes of scalpers from swarming the sites the moment they are available. It doesn’t matter how many of the things Nintendo made, Day One of preorders will always sell out in instants after what happened with the NES Classic due to the greed of scalpers.

Doing a limited run guarantees there will be people who won't get them and that it'll be a scalper's paradise.

I read that some people end up having problems with the D-Pad over time last year when I was aiming to get one. It's pretty much what's holding me from buying one right away.
On the NES30 and SNES30 you can swap the d-pad and pads with an actual controller.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No, but only because I have a GPD Win for all my emulation stuff, which I can use as both a handheld or plug into any TV and control using those same 8BitDo pads. Works great.

But that's not why I wanted the NES and SNES Classic Minis. It's absolutely a nostalgia thing and the quality of the NES Mini is awesome.

Ninja Dom

Or maybe we could stop playing armchair detective and stay on topic?

I actually have a Raspberry Pi Zero. I got it free on the cover of a magazine in Dec 2015. But how am I gonna play those 20+1 SNES games on it if I don't already have the carts? I actually have about 6 of the games from my young SNES owning days.

Doing a limited run guarantees there will be people who won't get them and that it'll be a scalper's paradise.
Not really, not when they are limiting it by time, but amounts. If they ship 10 or 20 million of the things by the end of the year, it won’t be a “scalper’s paradise”. We don’t know how many they are making, except it’s going to be a lot more than the NES Classic. Considering the device isn’t going to be released for another month, it’s far too early to say that Nintendo has mishandled the SNES Classic, to the point where people should be convinced to make their own lower-quality quasi-legal product instead.

Seik

Banned
I actually have a Raspberry Pi Zero. I got it free on the cover of a magazine in Dec 2015. But how am I gonna play those 20+1 SNES games on it if I don't already have the carts? I actually have about 6 of the games from my young SNES owning days.

Either you rip your carts and be legit or you don't.

If OP is or not isn't our call to make, neither did he say anything like "I have 200+ games for free!".

The topic at hand here is wether you're interested in a Pi or not. What you do with it is your discretion. If you end up hacking ROMs I strongly suggest not being too vocal or obvious about it, of course.

Baleoce

No lol

I just want it for nostalgia reasons and to play star fox 2

That being said I have a Super Ever Dive with all the games loaded on it and my Super Nintendo. I think im good.

Just looked at the compatability list and that thing is missing every game that uses any kind of special fx chip. Which is actually quite a lot of stuff. But trudging through the general list there's some big classics it's ommitting. No Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, StarFox 1/2, Super Mario RPG, SF2 Alpha, MegaMan X2/3, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Super Star, Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension, Stunt Race FX, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Doom.

A problem I had with a pi zero over a year back was that gba emulation would start to frame drop and mess up after about two hours of play until you rebooted the emulator or the pi itself, that might be fixed now but it was enough to be annoying to me.

mhayes86

Nah, I've been planning to build a retro Pi for ages. I'm actually planning to build one for my niece for Christmas, especially with this case:

312T2BZR9oL._SY400_.jpg

danm999

Not really, not when they are limiting it by time, but amounts. If they ship 10 million of the things by the end of the year, it won’t be a “scalper’s paradise”. We don’t know how many they are making, except it’s going to be a lot more than the NES Classic. Considering the device isn’t going to be released for another month, it’s far too early to say that Nintendo has mishandled the SNES Classic, to the point where people should be convinced to make their own lower-quality quasi-legal product instead.

I don't really want to go off topic.

You might find it more edifying to go discuss why people shouldn't be unhappy in one of the many threads about that SNES classic preorders, rather than tell people who are unhappy and considering alternatives they shouldn't be.

Yes, I got angry one month ago and ordered a Pi 3b, I have the same setup and controller as you OP, and 2 hori pokken controllers, and have ordered 2 wii u pro controllers =) Could not be happier!

Thats like saying that Console/PC gaming can be illegal if they pirated it. NO SHIT

-rolls eyes- Yeah, no duh it's simple stuff, but I'm not the person asking the question. So "no shit" yourself dude.

Never posting in a emulation thread again. Jesus Christ. Getting jumped on for answering a simple question to be helpful rather than straight up lie and say "No it's not illegal". God forbid.

There's honestly a good reason to, people tend to fuck up any emulation related threads pretty quickly with piracy talk.

For anyone being quick on the trigger on the piracy thing, I'd suggest checking this older thread I made: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1210652

I understand that, but I was simply answering a persons question. Literally no need for some to snap at me (not including you) for simply giving an answer. It's not like I even said "I hate emulation, all emulation = piracy."

bman94

Nope, can't build shit and all the tutorials makes the shit look incredibly difficult and confusing to put together. It's the same issue with building PCs for me.

Lack of VC did, I have a snes classic ordered and will grab this thing too. Don't feel like hooking up my old consoles anymore so I should be set.
Well, if this thing has good emulation and controllers at least, mostly the reason why I still went with a snes classic, don't really care about the console.

I don't really want to go off topic.

You might find it more edifying to go discuss why people shouldn't be unhappy in one of the many threads about that SNES classic preorders, rather than tell people who are unhappy and considering alternatives they shouldn't be.
It’s not off topic, the topic quite literally is about how Nintendo mishandled the SNES Classic, it’s there in the title. But Nintendo has done zero mishandling with the SNES Classic, they have done nothing wrong.

GLAMr

If we had a thread about games that are awesome on weed, would people be screaming about how marijuana is illegal in the vast majority of countries?

Why can't we talk about emulation without it becoming a witch hunt? I ABSOLUTELY get that the owners of the site can't be seen to allow open discussion on how to pirate software etc. But surely we could give people the benefit of the doubt unless they cross the line? I'm sure the mods will swing the ban hammer, nuke the thread from orbit and salt the earth so nothing can grow if a thread is clearly advocating piracy.

FYI: Rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band are AMAZING while high.

120v

It’s not off topic, the topic quite literally is about how Nintendo mishandled the SNES Classic, it’s there in the title. But Nintendo has done zero mishandling with the SNES Classic, they have done nothing wrong.

gist of OP is that the thing will be a pain in the ass to get, what the alternative is

Niosai

I'm looking into eventually making a Raspberry pi emulation box. My two issues are finding a good case and figuring out how bad the lag will be. Anyone have good advice? Also, would it be possible to have retropie and somehow play movies on it also?

Sykotik

Why don't you go into the thread that's literally hundreds of people complaining about the way this was handled, rather than shitting up this thread with your bullshit?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409607

Own a pi.
Own a NES Classic.
Will own a SNES Classic.

I stopped using my Pi when the NES came out since it can be modded and connecting the 8bitdo controllers is waaaaaay easier. Classic handles CPS1 & 2 games just fine.

WalTech

I was never going to try to get a SNES classic. I knew that Nintendo would pull this shit again, so I didn't bother.I do like making weird things, though!

z3jSV2A.jpg

I made a few of these. One for myself and one for each of my brothers. It's just made of cardboard and card paper with a Pi Zero inside. My version has the USB port on the front because I have a converted USB SNES controller, but the others have a hardwired SNES controller hooked up to them.

opoth

Banned
My CFW Wii U is hitting all the marks, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBA, DS all on one box. I tried getting a NES Mini, never again. They and the scalpers can keep the SNES Mini

Orayn

Nope, can't build shit and all the tutorials makes the shit look incredibly difficult and confusing to put together. It's the same issue with building PCs for me.

You literally just put the PCB in a box and plug in the power supply. The rest is done by writing an image of the OS onto a Micro SD card.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Been considering one for a while. The fact that I will likely be unable to obtain an SNES classic will likely be what pushes me to finally do it.

shanafan

Rather than buying hardware, I'd rather just spend a little bit on a title that I want to play from the Wii U VC or Wii VC, or even 3DS VC for portability. But honesty, I've played all the SNES titles that I need to play so I really do not see much value in playing them anymore when new games are continuously being pumped out.

I don't own the original games and don't want to spend hours finding them, buying them and dumping them (+ dumping hardware and software).

Top Bottom