• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

Satchel

Banned
Hm...all the things I'm hearing, I'm tempted to cancel my AU pre-order and see what the deal is.

I only ordered for the fuck of it. I wasn't in too much of a hurry to have one.

Call me when the Wii U's start catching fire like the 360 power bricks did. Till then, it's hardly a disaster... just a little disappointing.

Keyouta

I've had two hard locks in the past like 6 hours I guess?

Had to unplug the console, holding the power button did shit all

Kame

Call me when the Wii U's start catching fire like the 360 power bricks did. Till then, it's hardly a disaster... just a little disappointing.

1601_PS3_Grill_is_Real.jpg

wondermega

Man, how many of the angry people in this thread have ever bought a console at launch before? I guess this is just telling of how much longer this past generation has dragged on, memories are short. I recall several issues back a few generations.Dreamcast launch was particularly gnarly (lots of game discs were duds)

Nintendo were wise to launch now, this is as close to the holiday as they can push it. As for waiting until next year, their hardware is gonna look old-hat when the other systems get announced. Their hands were forced, I don't think anyone can blame them.

emb

Have the people experiencing lock up issues downloaded the update? I haven't done the update or seen a lock yet, wondering if I might be better off waiting for the next update.

Tunavi

Banned
Nintendo were wise to launch now, this is as close to the holiday as they can push it. As for waiting until next year, their hardware is gonna look old-hat when the other systems get announced. Their hands were forced, I don't think anyone can blame them.
damn good point

Have the people experiencing lock up issues downloaded the update? I haven't done the update or seen a lock yet, wondering if I might be better off waiting for the next update.

Yes, I downloaded the patch earlier. It was the first thing I did.

I have no reason to believe the patch is what caused the crash I had, but then again I don't have a reason to disbelieve it either. I'm hoping it was a one time thing and it won't happen again.

Matt

This has now happened to me:

-Every time I try to play Nintendo Land. 5 times now. So...I just can't play Nintendo Land.

-Once on Netflix.

-Just now while playing BLOPS 2 multiplayer.

I'm stunned.

That's what you get, early adopters of new technology!

Seriously though, I'd be pissed if I lost game progress because of this.

I recall several issues back a few generations.Dreamcast launch was particularly gnarly (lots of game discs were duds).

I never heard of this before, I had a DC at launch and 7 of the launch games. All of them fine.

Had every console at launch besides the WiiU. The hard lock thing sounds like the worst launch of modern ara. Though I think the N64 was the worst only for there only being two games. I mean I like Mario and Pilotwings too but that was crazy.

wondermega

I never heard of this before, I had a DC at launch and 7 of the launch games. All of them fine.

just 'cause you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it wasn't true! mind you it's been awhile (and there was not such a ravenous online community to discuss such things as there are today)

link

The first big problem with Dreamcast began when several games released upon launch were faulty. Clearly, this was because of a strict 9-9-99 launch date leading to shoddy manufacturing of many of the game discs. Some estimates claim that as many as one out of four versions of Sonic Adventure and Ready to Rumble – two of the jewels in Dreamcast’s crown– was totally unplayable. The official explanation was that one of their game copiers had gone out of calibration, though this means little to a gamer who can't play his favorite game on his brand new game system! The bigger problem: some of the discs affected were Web Browser discs. Quite a few initial buyers were unable to use their system's modem at all. It didn't help that the Web Browser was a packaged-with-system item; getting a new disc was very complicated.

Had every console at launch besides the WiiU. The hard lock thing sounds like the worst launch of modern ara. Though I think the N64 was the worst only for there only being two games. I mean I like Mario and Pilotwings too but that was crazy.

also not to harp on you :p but SNES launch had super mario world, pilotwings, fzero.. and i think that was all.. simcity dribbled out shortly afterward

People on the internet connect with others who share an issue.

Epidemic.

But seriously, lets hope future patches help here. I havent had any issues with around 6 ours of switching between apps and games.

Joni

I thought PS3 had a 2x BR drive that was 1x when watching movies...or is it the other way.

Dev accounts I've read imply the WiiU drive is merely 2x also, if true it's a far bigger travesty than PS3 being 2012 and it has a tiny hdd. Haven't seen any hard facts tho

You can't really compare those numbers 1:1. A 2x for a Blu-Ray wasn't the same speed as a 2x DVD, the Wii U drive could be called a 16x but be slower or a 1x and be faster. It is better to compare actual read speeds.

luffeN

wondermega;44506922]Nintendo were wise to launch now, this is as close to the holiday as they can push it. As for waiting until next year, their hardware is gonna look old-hat when the other systems get announced. Their hands were forced, I don't think anyone can blame them.

But they could also have waited I think. "Just" spend more money and use stronger hardware and launch later.

wondermega

But they could also have waited I think. "Just" spend more money and use stronger hardware and launch later.

it was critical that they hit this Xmas. Launching any later than right now means a huge potential loss of sales.

Next Xmas will be a 100% different story, again it's pretty likely that the next-gen consoles will at least be announced by then and a lot more people will be saving up for those (and it is unlikely, however not impossible, that at least 1 of those systems might be available to buy at that point)

Yeah, froze for me shortly after messing around in the menus. Got really scared because I was updating Nintendo Land at the time and heard it bricks if it turns off during an update. Guess that was only referring to the big update.

fallagin

The best buy demo unit froze for me when I tried it, though I understand the conditions they keep the demo consoles in tend to cause more stress to the consoles.

-Every time I try to play Nintendo Land. 5 times now. So...I just can't play Nintendo Land.

-Once on Netflix.

I'm stunned.

That sucks man, hope Nintendo releases an update and you get to play Nintendo Land.

Ydahs

-Once on Netflix.

I'm stunned.

Is there any Nintendo Land save or settings data? Maybe try deleting that to re-initiate an update?

spekkeh

Banned
Nintendo must have known this problem was there.
I think it's likely (because I'm an expert in Japanese culture etc.), that they rushed the patch job out of the door to meet launch day (probably an allnighter too, given how no review outlet had it the day before). This seems like a classical no time for QA.

This is why I never buy new-gen consoles Day 1 or even a few months after that. The amount of crap that happened with the Xbox 360 and its RROD was beyond belief and I already said to myself ''I would not be surprised if some kind of hardware failure happens with next-gen''

And behold..

Damn annoying for the people who already bought the Wii U but you could have kind of see it coming considering the time we are in. Everything needs to be released fast, fast, fast without actually testing their hardware.

Top Bottom