• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a VR Unit be Nintendo's answer to SONY?Can it be done?

"vr success"
tenor.gif

Lol yup

I think when Nintendo do finally jump on VR they will school everyone with some amazingly creative games. The tech plus a new motion control method suits their creativity perfectly.

The tech just isn't there yet though for a Nintendo machine. Clunkiness and price point, for Nintendo it will have to be great and accessible for the whole family, not just nerds.

LordRaptor

I think when Nintendo do finally jump on VR they will school everyone with some amazingly creative games. The tech plus a new motion control method suits their creativity perfectly.

The tech just isn't there yet though for a Nintendo machine. Clunkiness and price point, for Nintendo it will have to be great and accessible for the whole family, not just nerds.

The switch is literally a plastic headset shell away from being a workable VR device.

Agreed.
I'm convinced that Nintendo would develop VR-games beyond most people's believes, simply because they always go all-in when they support a hardware.
I love my PSVR device, every time I use it it feels magical again. But I'm still waitinf for VR's Mario 64-moment. Right now the market is filled with small scale-titles or ports of games that weren't originally intended as being played in VR.

I'd love to see a developer take a big budget and create a fully realized VR-RPG, in the vein of the Sword Art Online-anime. But no 3rd-party-developer will take such risk, and so won't Sony. So ... more waiting.

And we might have to wait quite a bit longer. A more affordable price point is necessary, and let's be clear, PSVR is only affordable within its niche, it's far from general affordability. Then display resolution needs to go up, which in turn requires even more potent hardware. And lastly, I believe eye-tracking will be a complete game-changer once it's implemented in VR-devices. Being able to interact just by moving your eyes will be huge - targeting something, talking to npcs, or even using magic spells - suddenly everybody can feel like Uchiha Sasuke when he's using Amaterasu ;)

There's long way to go. And Nintendo will be there. But for now I'm happy with what Sony put out on the market. Because while I'm a Nintendo-fan at heart, let's be honest: VR is so f****ing cool! It's a dream come true, and I don't care about which company does what, as long as VR is happening. Which it is. :)

Bickle2

Nintendo has already filed patents for a GearVR style holder goggles for Switch

They’ve probably realized that given that the PS4 isn’t powerful enough to do more this the most curated and carefully constructed small VR experiences, that their system, that’s about 1/3 as powerful would be unfavorably compared to those experiences, let alone PC and future Xbox ones. They’ve likely abandoned it until next round, if VR interest is still strong, which it should be

NolbertoS

Ps vr a success?? Define success?? Compared to other VR competitors (in a young market place) than yes, they’re kicking ass. In a market that plays videogames (new gimmick), I’d say its poor compared to other “Nintendo, Sony” accessories not names Virtual Boy. PS VR is following PS Vita’s early success, but I’ll wait and see if Sony 1sr party studios will continue to churn out more games on it. That’ll determine if PS VR is here to stay long term

Regarding Nintendo, they follow the beat of there own drum. They rarely copy a market leader more like improve and re-design a thing or come out with a brand new way to play.

Jaruru

Ps vr a success?? Define success?? Compared to other VR competitors (in a young market place) than yes, they’re kicking ass. In a market that plays videogames (new gimmick), I’d say its poor compared to other “Nintendo, Sony” accessories not names Virtual Boy. PS VR is following PS Vita’s early success, but I’ll wait and see if Sony 1sr party studios will continue to churn out more games on it. That’ll determine if PS VR is here to stay long term

Regarding Nintendo, they follow the beat of there own drum. They rarely copy a market leader more like improve and re-design a thing or come out with a brand new way to play.

So glad Nintendo doing their own thing.

I don't see Nintendo doing VR simply due to the performance requirements, and the cost associated. Sure there is smartphone level VR, but gaming really needs more, even if it would be done in typical lightweight Nintendo style. The only way I see Nintendo going VR is if Sony and MS push it succesfully in the next gen and leave no option for Nintendo.

I wish I'd care to come back in 10 years time to laugh at this post.

Anyway I'll bookmark this thread just in case GAF is still around.

You really think standing up with a eyewear/headset on being locked out of the real world is going to take off for the masses?

It's not practical, comfortable or a form of media wanted by most. Only the most hardcore of gamers will spend money on something like this and I just don't see it ever making enough money to still be around in the future. While I'm sure it will find uses outside of games I just don't see it ever taking off enough for gaming companies to focus on.

At best it will still be the niche it is now, at worst it will be gone altogether.

Wiped89

Isn't there a quote from Nintendo where they said they were considering VR for the Switch (then called NX)?

It would work pretty well as you could take the joycons off then slide the screen into a headset. But I think that's more of a Switch 2 idea when you can make it thinner with a higher pixel count.

You really think standing up with a eyewear/headset on being locked out of the real world is going to take off for the masses?

It's not practical, comfortable or a form of media wanted by most. Only the most hardcore of gamers will spend money on something like this and I just don't see it ever making enough money to still be around in the future. While I'm sure it will find uses outside of games I just don't see it ever taking off enough for gaming companies to focus on.

At best it will still be the niche it is now, at worst it will be gone altogether.

Only a complete idiot would be stupid enough to still doubt VR by this point.

It's been obvious to anyone with common sense for years that it would be the future and its genuinely hard to believe that people stupid enough to doubt that fact can even exist.

If Nintendo were going to do VR, they'd probably just be something along the lines of Galaxy Gear VR. Dock the tablet into the headset and go from there.

I wish I'd care to come back in 10 years time to laugh at this post.

Anyway I'll bookmark this thread just in case GAF is still around.

It might be. Here are 10-year-old reactions to the iPhone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136250&page=33

"Wait... how do you surf the internet without a keypad? all touch screen? ick."

"Is the name "iPhone" really THAT great? Seems like it will be very expensive."

Geeze, wouldn't it be simpler to just call it 'iTalk' or something? Or 'iCall'?

"Here are some other alternatives:

iTel

iConnect

iChat

iCell

iMobile"

weltalldx

Only a complete idiot would be stupid enough to still doubt VR by this point.

It's been obvious to anyone with common sense for years that it would be the future and its genuinely hard to believe that people stupid enough to doubt that fact can even exist.

I think when people think off VR they imagine something like The Matrix, not a toaster on your head. And that's why I think VR at this point in time is simply a gimmick.

Blam

iTel

iConnect

iChat

iCell

iMobile"

That thread is a serious trip.

iTel

iConnect

iChat

iCell

iMobile"
😂 That thread is a trip.

MaulerX

I don't know if it's even possible but I really wish someone could solve the issue with motion sickness. IMHO I think that's what's really holding VR back. I love my Rift but I just don't use it as much as I would like. I personally know a lot of people with the same experience. One of my best friends bought and then returned his PSVR because he got so sick he just couldn't handle it. I know there's a lot of people who are completely immune to this and with use you can build your tolerance, but it's enough of an issue with most people that it sort of becomes a niche thing you use on occasion rather than something you use regularly.

I think when people think off VR they imagine something like The Matrix, not a toaster on your head. And that's why I think VR at this point in time is simply a gimmick.

If you think VR is what you look like from the outside, then you might as well describe the PS4 as a black VCR box. I mean, they are both black and they are both boxes. Who cares what it actually does on the inside?

success is relative, its not making sony any money, its selling ok, nobody knows the true cost compared to profit, i have yet to see any PSVR only games chart either.... and how can Nintendo have a answer for sony, when the last time i checked its try number 2 for this generation, and 20 some off million behind MS as of now?

I don't think they need to "answer" it yet and honestly I don't think Nintendo will release something until tech is at a place where the entire package is $400 max.

Top Bottom