• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adrian C. (Former People Can Fly) Claims His Dev Friends Claim 50% XB1/PS4 Speed Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

So...is this thread proof that even GAF fully participates in the console wars it ridicules Gamefaqs and Gamespot for?

Well I mean, this is pretty relevant news.

It's not some forum poster claiming it, it's a dev who works in the industry.

iNvid02

unleash the personal attacks!

SOSWNLK.png

Eric C

What we have never seen however is the more powerfull sku priced at $100 LESS than their competition. So we are now possibly in the position of seeing the more powerfull console being the lead sku, and in a position where the devs will actually take advantage of the power difference, leading to a larger difference in multiplat versions than we saw last gen.

Reminds me a bit of the $399 Sega Saturn VS the $299 Playstation 1

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So it processes information faster? Or it ... updates frames faster?

What exactly do you think it does, faster?

No, I'm really not. It's a very vague statement. This is not a case of 'the RAM performs 50%' faster, or even 'the processor performs 50% faster', just 'this system, in it's entirety, performs 50% faster than this other system'. So, you tell me what that means. PM me, if you'd like.

Your willful ignorance is painful. There have been several posts showing the cpu, gpu, memory bandwith all having faster specs on paper. Sum up these parts and architecture strategies from the two companies, and developers have found that one console performs about 50% faster. Most likely framerate and key engine processes.

MS's DirectX 11 based API will never make up the difference, no matter what they say. GL-based APIs, heck OpenGL as an obvious example, are apparently extremely fast nowadays. Valve can vouch for it.

Amir0x

Banned
Does Gies still owe someone on GAF $10?

Says it all, no?

● War Thunder Dev: PS4 GPU 40% more Powerful
● Adrian C., Former People Can Fly Creative Director: PS4 has 50% speed superiority over XBO
● Forbes: Developer says PS4 is 40% more powerful than Xbox One and Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.
● Avalance Games: "The Specs would seem to favor PS4 on paper."

I know I've seen a bunch more. We should get a list together. I've yet to see a single dev come close to saying anything other than PS4 is more powerful, and usually it's by a significant degree. The closest I saw was the Titanfall dev saying it wouldn't work on PS4 because of Cloud or some shit lol

Krakn3Dfx

I think you are reaching here. Read through it, didn't seem like they were angry. Some even admit that 30% was the last figure they heard.

Sony fanboy posting a link to a tweet from a guy who once worked on the worst Gears game ever. Just look at his comment history.

Which ones? The ones that worked with him on the trash Judgement game before he got canned?

These guys for instance.

hawk2025

So...is this thread proof that even GAF fully participates in the console wars it ridicules Gamefaqs and Gamespot for?

No, it's proof that attempting to obfuscate technical specs through PR spinning in a message board that spends all day investigating and looking at it with very capable people is a bad, BAD idea.

This thread would have only a few pages and people going "right, that's what everyone thought" if only Microsoft hadn't tried so damn hard to say otherwise. Make no mistake, the reactions here are about backlash of the PR messaging, not directly "console wars".

velociraptor

The PS4 isn't exactly impressive tech, so the Xbone really has to be a piece of crap. And only to shove in that Kinect.
Eh - Box has Ryse and Forza 5. Both look pretty damn good. Ryse rivals anything on the PC.

I don't think the consoles are as bad as many are claiming but it's obvious that out of the two, the Xbox is more handicapped.

I expect most games to look good this generation either way.

fraktur

shocking news: ps4 more powerful than the bone.
but if the difference is really that high, it's a desaster for ms.

sephi22

. If its really XBone, PS3, XB360<PS4 it shouldn't have been that hard to produce something graphically better than Knack. Or are we looking at a situation of diminishing returns over 1Tflop.
Huehuehuehuehue guys.
That Indiestation, amirite?
PS4 has no gaems!!!
Knack, Fez, and Minecraft look shit gais.
Hey, hey, Anyone listening?

kadotsu

Banned
Says it all, no?

&#9679; War Thunder Dev: PS4 GPU 40% more Powerful
&#9679; Adrian C., Former People Can Fly Creative Director: PS4 has 50% speed superiority over XBO
&#9679; Forbes: Developer says PS4 is 40% more powerful than Xbox One and Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.
&#9679; Avalance Games: "The Specs would seem to favor PS4 on paper."

I know I've seen a bunch more. We should get a list together. I've yet to see a single dev come close to saying anything other than PS4 is more powerful, and usually it's by a significant degree. The closest I saw was the Titanfall dev saying it wouldn't work on PS4 because of Cloud or some shit lol

All that will be moot when the XBOX TWO releases in 2015.

salromano

unleash the personal attacks!

SOSWNLK.png

From same guy:

Former Creative Director claims his Dev Friends say there is a 50% power difference.
I don't care if he is the lead engineer for the Xbox One. He's an idiot and is pulling this 50% number out of his ass. Especially based on the fact that he calls it a "50% speed difference". This is probably why he's no longer with PCF after the awful Gears game they made and why he's know stuck making a vaporware indie title.
This tweet was made for the kids at NeoGAF.

shandy706

Don't give a crap. My PC 100% more powerful than the PS4 and even more so over the X1.

I buy consoles based on exclusive games.

Yoday

It doesn't really matter if the xbox is less powerful. We've had systems with different power levels in the past. PS2 was still selling like crazy when the original Xbox came out.
The situation is nothing like it was when the Xbox entered the market. The PS2 had a crazy amount of hype around it, while the Xbox was an unknown. The two systems had price parity, and the PS2's library was massive compared to the Xbox. When the system that is 20% cheaper is also 50% more powerful, you better believe that power difference will have an impact. There is already a huge divide in pre-order numbers all over the world (4:1 at my local Walmart), and most people have no idea there is a power gap. Once the system launches and word gets out that there is such a huge gap, the sales divide will grow even more. The majority of people getting consoles at launch or within at least the first couple of months care at least somewhat about the power of the console, or they wouldn't care about getting it to begin with.

Fair enough, but I can't criticize these anonymous sources.

Did they all just say "Yeah it's probably, uh, 50% faster. Yeah, 50%". What a perfect number. How convenient. And, again, what a great attribute. 50% faster. What is it faster at doing? I dunno, it's just faster.

I have no idea what it's supposed to mean. 50% faster ... ok, fine. What next? Is the PS4 23% better? 19.5% more fun?

Devs have done their homework at this point. It's basically putting the hardware in "stress mode", it's some internal benchmarks, so they can get a good idea of the real world performance in very specific areas, that actually matter for them. It can be different between studios because they don't need ressources the same way, if they make sandboxes, or sports games.

ops, bw, gtexels, gpixels,..are all good clues, but as a dev you always want more.

In some areas it's even higher than 50%. It's all relative, no way a generation apart, but it's there.
Comparing to PS360 gen, i would say "more consistent"

Saphathorael

Neo Member
I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

ypo

Since he didn't mention which console so it must be the Xbone. I mean have you guys heard about all the secret, magic talk lately? The Thruth will set us free man. For realz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom