• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT| The Classic Trilogy Returns

Jawmuncher

header.jpg

Platforms: PS4/X1/PC
Price: $19.99

Features:
Experience the critically acclaimed masterpiece with its renowned Sumi-e ink art style in breathtaking high resolution. Take on the role of Amaterasu, the Japanese sun goddess who inhabits the form of a legendary white wolf, on a quest to defeat Orochi, an eight-headed demon and tyrannical monster responsible for turning the world of Nippon into a ruined wasteland.

Players will be able to choose between modern widescreen format or the original release’s 4:3 ratio. Interactive loading game screens from the original game are also included.

The original loading screen mini-game also returns where you can earn bonus demon fangs that can be traded for in-game items.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/vekiiMbA-Zw

sublimit

Banned
What is that???

And I hope they put the original credits back in. Love this game. A true classic I can play endless amount of times.

Okami Den was a sequel to the original game and it came out for the DS.I haven't played it myself but i've heard very good things about it.

Thanks for the OT Jawmuncher! Unfortunately i'm away from my PS4 and i will not be able to replay this classic until around March. :/

3rdman

This looks great but meh...As much as I enjoyed most of Okami, if I recall correctly, the game forces you to go through every level twice to artificially extend the game time.

Of course its been years...Am I mis-remembering it?

nowhat

Six and a half hours to go here, and I'm so going to play it at least for a while (despite having to get up before 6AM for a work trip). I absolutely loved this on a Wii, at 20€ it's an instabuy.

Any word on the PS4 implementation, how are the spells implemented? I'm hoping it'd utilize the touch pad, seems like an obvious fit. One would think that the Wiimote would have been even better, but in my experience (perhaps I had too many IR sources around the bar at the time) it was infuriatingly inaccurate at times.

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
This looks great but meh...As much as I enjoyed most of Okami, if I recall correctly, the game forces you to go through every level twice to artificially extend the game time.

Of course its been years...Am I mis-remembering it?

They don't make you go through every level twice,
just the bosses at the end. But you also fight one of the bosses three times
and the second half of the game feels kinda repetitive in general.

Here's hoping that it's a great remaster. I'm looking forward to reading/watching the reviews. I bought the PS2 version back in the day but I never got around to playing it. It's been on my pile of shame for too long.

93xfan

Banned
So hyped. One of my favorites of all time.

I love it too, but already own the PS3 version. Wish they would get rid of the pop in and had the option for no loading at all.

Also, wish you could turn off hints.

That would sell me on rebuying this game.

nowhat

does this support resolutions over 1080p?

Supposedly both Pro and X (and I'm assuming PC too) run at 4K. Whether that's 4K or "4K" I can't tell, but as it is such an old title I don't see why it wouldn't be native.

(Do correct me if I'm wrong - didn't the PS3 version run internally at 4K, then downsample to 1080p?)

Gitaroo

Supposedly both Pro and X (and I'm assuming PC too) run at 4K. Whether that's 4K or "4K" I can't tell, but as it is such an old title I don't see why it wouldn't be native.

(Do correct me if I'm wrong - didn't the PS3 version run internally at 4K, then downsample to 1080p?)

no, PS3 ran at 1080p with 4xmsaa. So Pro and X shouldn't have any problem running at native 4k. Probably even the standard PS4 if only they allow it to output 4K.

nowhat

no, PS3 ran at 1080p with 4xmsaa. So Pro and X shouldn't have any problem running at native 4k. Probably even the standard PS4 if only they allow it to output 4K.

OK, I stand corrected. But even if the base PS4 would be able to render the game at 4K, wouldn't it need a HDMI 2.x port to output it?

Gitaroo

OK, I stand corrected. But even if the base PS4 would be able to render the game at 4K, wouldn't it need a HDMI 2.x port to output it?
HDMI 1.4 can output 4K 30hz at least, but the system does not support it, or Sony didn't update the system to support it. Infact even PS3 can output 4K 30hz, one of the photo app on it support 4K30hz irc. Either way, what I meant was PS4 GPU should be powerful enough to render the game at 4K.

Bakkus

While this is one of my favorite games ever. I'm gonna await reports on how the game runs on all systems before buying.

ubiblu

Before BotW, SMO, and P5, this game dominated my favourite game of all-time list for a decade, knocking Ocarina of Time off the top spot. It is such a fantastic, complete package and holds up incredibly well with time. It’s not perfect, but god damn is it a great experience. OT title is on point - this is a long ass game.

As I’ve beaten it seven odd times and already have the PS3 platinum, it’s time to watch the wife play it through.

Espada

It's great to see this finally come to PC, I absolutely love this game. It was a great adventure and, IMO, was the best "Zelda" of that generation. Having it on PC will be great for preservation. The 30 fps lock doesn't surprise me, all previous versions of Okami have been at 30, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game logic is tied to the framerate.

Akzel

I'm sad that the game share the PS3 Trophy list. I'll still play it though.. just not 100% to be sure I can play more game before my vacation end.

Still I do have the Platinum for PS3.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
If there is ever a patch for PC to get it going at 60fps, I'll jump back in. Otherwise, no sale. Already bought it twice for PS2 and PS3. 30fps on PC is just not going to cut it. World of FF was like that too, I believe.

Soriku

Before BotW, SMO, and P5, this game dominated my favourite game of all-time list for a decade, knocking Ocarina of Time off the top spot. It is such a fantastic, complete package and holds up incredibly well with time. It’s not perfect, but god damn is it a great experience. OT title is on point - this is a long ass game.

As I’ve beaten it seven odd times and already have the PS3 platinum, it’s time to watch the wife play it through.

Tbh...I like Okami (as far as "Zelda" games go) more than BOTW.

ubiblu

I didn’t see this on the OT, but might be good to remind people that this game is a Hideki ‘ask your mum’ Kamiya masterpiece, of Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Wonderful 101 and Viewtiful Joe fame.

Gitaroo

So this game does not support the touchpad on ds4, that's fucking stupid. What a missed opportunity. Cancel ps4 version and wait for. 2.99 steams sales.

Looks great as ever, but now in 4k on ps4 pro. I wish this was released on the nintendo switch as i would have liked to take this around with me.

SirNinja

Why "the classic trilogy" ?

I don't want to say much in case you've never played Okami, but suffice to say it's a much longer game than it appears to be. It honestly feels like three games in one, strung together in one gigantic narrative. There are at least two big "fakeouts" where you think you're heading into the final dungeon for the final fight, but instead you get another 15-20 hours of game.

Rodolink

I don't want to say much in case you've never played Okami, but suffice to say it's a much longer game than it appears to be. It honestly feels like three games in one, strung together in one gigantic narrative. There are at least two big "fakeouts" where you think you're heading into the final dungeon for the final fight, but instead you get another 15-20 hours of game.

Oh I didn't get the pun, I thought by reading teh title that the HD remaster was going to have the DS sequel and who knows what but it was just a play of words by the OP.

Yes I finished the game and never thought it was going to be that long, but it makes so much sense since its based on japanese storytelling Kishotenketsu where the climax and resolution is almost as long as the development of conflict.

Beautiful game, anyone who hasnt experienced it should! specially now, I'd suggest PC version though, maybe they'll update it for 60fps

nowhat

Is the game compatible with HDR?

Sadly no. But as it is such an old game originally, the engine wasn't probably built to support it (many more contemporary engines work with HDR internally, even if the results are being displayed in good-ol 8 bits per channel) and as this is not a remake, I guess HDR is out of the question. Also I recon some of the bitmaps are in if not original resolution, then at least well below 1080p. Luckily those are rather rare - running at 4K it does still manage to look rather crisp. But if you didn't like the art style before, this will probably not change your opinion (personally I love it).

I'd suggest PC version though, maybe they'll update it for 60fps

I wouldn't hold my breath. Apparently the reason is that the animations were built for 30fps - whether that is a valid explanation or not I cannot say, but by the sound of it Capcom has little interest in delivering higher frame rates.

nowhat

About five hours in, and despite some obvious negatives I'd forgotten (the "voices"... I don't mind not having fully voiced characters, but I'd rather have the characters be completely silent instead of the "chatter" we have here) I'm absolutely loving it so far, nostalgia or not.

However, there's one thing. I'm playing this on a Pro/4K screen, and the image is sharp enough. But I originally played this on a Wii/CRT and perhaps that's what softened the blow, so to speak. I don't mind 30fps here (60fps would be preferable, sure, but it's not a twitchy game), but I'd really like some (or better) motion blur. I know this is sacrilegious to some, but properly implemented it can be a wonderful thing, in my oh-so-humble opinion. As it is now, panning the camera can look quite jarring, despite the game looking fine otherwise.

Other than that, what can I say, it's still Okami. I've had a soft spot for the game ever since I first played it. At $20/20€ it's a steal.

Top Bottom