• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

I'll just play one of my other 600 games on Steam for the 5 minutes per year I'm not online.

Stop being obtuse. Even if your internet is perfect, you have no guarantee about the authentication servers. They'll be brought down eventually, too. Probably after the company stops giving a shit about patching out the online requirement.

Dario ff

Banned
Maybe it's just a crash because of online functionality? Doesn't this game use leaderboards of some kind for friends?

The fact that it just crashes is weird.

I gifted this game to a friend a while back during the Christmas sale thing. But seeing what kind of shit Konami's pulling, I do definitely regret it now, even if it was my number 2 game of 2013.

They just never fucking learn, it's unbelievable.

Buzzman

Banned
While I'm always online and I probably wouldn't even notice, this is still a shitty thing to do for everyone else.

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow that's dirty, I preordered the game without hesitation too. Disappointing. No mention of that on the Steam page.

This honestly looks more like an unintentional glitch rather than intentional programming.

The game gives you no message when you try to boot in offline mode... it tries to boot then crashes to the Desktop. Seems like a quick and easy fix.

Seems like a pretty big coincidence if you ask me

coldfoot

Banned
Only way to release SP games on PC, like it or not, it is how it is.
I actually don't think this will hold up and it'll get cracked. You actually need to design the game so it doesn't depend on a server for only authentication, but other gameplay elements, persistent online world, etc.

Edit: If it's a bug, of course none of what I said make sense. However you can't blame me after Diablo 3, Sim City, AC4, etc. People have been expecting games to be always online on PC, especially big budget games.

Yuuichi

I'm not sure if it's "has always online DRM" or "has bug which crashes it when not online". Both have the same result for gamers, but I'd still consider them rather different in their implications.

If this is true, I'm going to go laugh and cry at the same time in the corner. The implications would just be that someone can't port, rather than anti-consumer.

Sophia

I'm not sure if it's "has always online DRM" or "has bug which crashes it when not online". Both have the same result for gamers, but I'd still consider them rather different in their implications.

They may as well be the same thing. Both unacceptable issues born from incompetence. One's just more likely to get fixed then the other. :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also, 100 percent guaranteed this is a Konami decision, not Platinum. Don't come down on the devs too hard, it's Konami that is almost certainly the problem.

It's a single player game. It doesn't have multiplayer. Why is it dialing home in the first place?

I never preload games anymore due to shit like this. I got burned bad with AOE2 "HD" when it was barely playable and more buggy than anything.

Going to be fun what awful drm rockstar puts into GTA5. Rockstar social club is a given but what else

I'll just play one of my other 600 games on Steam for the 5 minutes per year I'm not online.

I gave up caring about always-online DRM a long time ago. I'm pretty much near Internet access 100% of the time, and the few times I'm not, it's because I've decided to travel somewhere remote, and in those circumstances I'm not bringing any computing devices with me anyway.

JBEd06q.gif

Hopefully PG_jp can tell us what's up when he wakes up..

From the way it has been described, it sounds like the game just doesn't work right when you're not connected and it crashes.

I really don't want to believe that this is intentional...

Durante

I really think it's premature to call this a "decision" or "DRM". From the way it acts it seems at least as, if not more, likely to be a bug.

It's a single player game. It doesn't have multiplayer. Why is it dialing home in the first place?
I don't know, obviously. Maybe it uses a Steam API in a wrong way.

Wouldn't DRM tell you why you're not able to play the game rather than crash? Even StarForce and Uplay (back when it was always online) did that.

Burli

Pringo
I will never understand this, all this can possibly do is turn potential buyers towards pirating as there will inevitably be a cracked version of the game that runs offline. It's incomprehensible, punishing people who buy your game.

It's as bad as the fact that when you buy DVDs you have to sit through that video telling you not to pirate, along with a ton of ads and trailers. Meanwhile piraters simply play a file and the movie's started.

Like Dark Souls nobody will give a shit, blah, blah "PC is awesome so whatever." Also why PC pre-sell is bullshit. I thankfully dodged a bullet here.

But you can play Dark Souls offline?

I am almost certain this is a bug, if a game employs no offline mode it gives a startup warning or something. If you lose connection it literally hard crashes to desktop immediately in this game.

Htown

I really think it's premature to call this a "decision" or "DRM". From the way it acts it seems at least as, if not more, likely to be a bug.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's an entirely single player game.

Why does it need a connection in the first place?

Eusis

Well at least if it's just looking for Steam it's got a more reliable backend than most of these other always online games...

And HOPEFULLY that means they can easily patch it out and apologize if there's enough of an outcry. Fuck's sake, it doesn't even have the excuse of being a new release, it's the nearly year late port of a game that they must have made more than their money's worth off of. But I guess some execs just see "PC" and that this is one of their biggest IPs and freak the hell out, even though piracy undoubtedly happened on 360 and PS3 anyway and will happen easily here.

Lulubop

Only way to release SP games on PC, like it or not, it is how it is.
I actually don't think this will hold up and it'll get cracked. You actually need to design the game so it doesn't depend on a server for only authentication, but other gameplay elements, persistent online world, etc.

Oh fuck off Coldfoot.

Almighty

Well then in that case I will be holding back my vile for now. Hopefully it is a bug because I would like to buy the game in the future, but I will not support always online DRM. If they tried to spring it on us secretly then Konami will be the first publisher who games I would actually refuse to buy.

Only way to release SP games on PC, like it or not, it is how it is

What kind of nonsense is this? Plenty of PC games sell very well without always online.

Htown

Added disclaimer to the thread title until we get some clarification.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

I was originally going to put a question mark in the title, but it got lost while I was finding quotes and such. Fair enough.

Eusis

I don't know, obviously. Maybe it uses a Steam API in a wrong way.

Wouldn't DRM tell you why you're not able to play the game rather than crash? Even StarForce and Uplay (back when it was always online) did that.
Whoops, missed this. This IS an interesting point, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they saw the option for such functionality and mindlessly flipped it on at worst, which could be concerning for people about Steam but in this instance means they could easily cut it out in a patch so long as no one's being weirdly obstinate at Konami.

I gave up caring about always-online DRM a long time ago. I'm pretty much near Internet access 100% of the time, and the few times I'm not, it's because I've decided to travel somewhere remote, and in those circumstances I'm not bringing any computing devices with me anyway.

Steam never goes down for you? That's impressive

What does PG have to do with this decision?

Based on that comment, Nethaniah seems to think that Platinum must have known about this, but decided to keep their mouths shut and coast on their fans' good will all the way to the bank. Apparently Konami has never gone behind their devs' backs to pull some shady shit in this timeline.

And coupled with this comment:

Could have informed the people that this was in....maybe? But nvm that, ''rules of nature!!!! :D:D:D''.

It's pretty clear that it was just a quick jab at Platinum fans.

Codeblue

Glad I saw this thread before buying. I don't care if it's a bug or intentional, I'm not buying until it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom