• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

blakep267

Probably. For example if it would come down to the Game awards this year. I could see PUBG, Mario Odyssey, Zelda maybe Horizon.

It'll be close between Mario Zelda and PUBG but it could be the GOTY. But it's all subjective

First Person Shooter of the Year I can see, Indie is likely lockdown too. Game of the Year though? You've got The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and way too many other titles to mention here (particularly all these fantastic Japanese games coming out this year), and we still have the avalanche of behemoth titles coming in the upcoming months. While some lists will surely list Battlegrounds as their Game of Year award, I anticipate a great variety of titles earning that award this year.

EDIT: [post below]
Best multiplayer game of this year for sure

That's a really good point, most games I mentioned are single player focused.

Shifty1897

If this was a weaker year like 2014 then sure, but BOTW and Horizon, not to mention the new Mario coming out? I'm sure it'll appear on someone's GOTY lists, but not a major publication that covers all platforms.

No. There aren't even reviews out for the game yet and games like Rust that blew up never came out of early access so lets just wait and see.

DxD

Banned
You don't get it man. You've really gotta play it.

I'm 32 and I've been playing multiplayer shooters since I was little. The appeal of PUBG, for me at least, is that it's something totally fresh and new in a world where shooters have become pretty predictable.

I will just ask him to family-share the game with me on Stream to test drive it.
Is that even possible for EA game though?

PUBG is one of those amazing phenomena that emerges from nowhere and takes everything by storm. It's definitely in the running for my award.

Ferrio

Banned
No. There aren't even reviews out for the game yet and games like Rust that blew up never came out of early access so lets just wait and see.

You're underselling PUBG's popularity by vast quantities.

You say Rust blew up, but it's highest peak ever was 68,103. PUBG has only been out less than six months and it's peak is 422,195 and growing. I haven't seen something like this since minecraft.

OK, I watched all the steam trailers and I think I understand this now.

2 things:
1. No stealth kills?? There's a clip in one trailer of a sniper perched on a cliffside. A heavily-camouflaged dude comes crouch-walking out of the bushes behind him and .... abruptly stands up and baseball-bat-swings a club into the back of the sniper's head.

2. There's a scene where 2 players are outside of a house, obviously with someone barricaded inside. One player shoots out the windows, the other player kicks a hole in the door and tosses some sort of incendiary explosive inside the house. The door blows open, flames everywhere!! The person who was inside ... casually walks out of the house, covered in flames, and gets shot to death.

If this game is literally all about combat, why not add a little bit of flair as a reward for stealth kills? Or make flames affect how a character controls somehow. I understand that this game is in "pre-release" stage or whatever, but if you're not even going to attempt to have any sort of story or depth (beyond combat) in this game, the developers should really make every other aspect shine. Watching the trailers, it doesn't look like they've done that.

This does look like fun for people who are into this type of game, though. GOTY? Probably not.

There isn't much you can gleam from the trailers to understand what makes pubg special but for your stealth kill animations comment, they are adding but stealthily killing someone with melee is something that virtually never happens in the course of an actual game. These are incredibly insignificant critiques on very surface level details but if your basing it on Steam trailers, I understand where they are coming from.

Swiggins

Yeah, I see as a contender for sure.

That said...

Between Horizon, Zelda, Persona 5, and undoubtedly Mario Odyssey in the future, this is gonna be a highly contested year for sure.

2017 is the new 1998.

I get the appeal, but it's the most early access-y early access game that I've played. I can't forgive the wide variety of technical issues. Some might say that the jank gives it charm.... No. It's just jank.

I'm surprised you say that. I've had like 3 or 4 glitches total. That's around the same as many AAA games. Now to be fair the severity of those glitches is much higher.

Protome

I think it should be. Early Access games should be treated as "released" from the moment they start charging money. If that means they miss out on industry attention at GOTY because they released a broken game that was nowhere near finished and tried to charge money for it, then fine. Conversely, if like PUBG they manage to release something great and support and improve it through EA, then that's exactly the point of EA and that deserves be rewarded.

You only get one chance at a first impression, games releasing out of early access means literally nothing, people barely even notice it happening and it gets no attention from media or consumers alike. Treating Early Access releases as releases just makes sense.

nope, horizon is so far in the lead right now its sad.

Sure, if you skipped pretty much any other release in the first half of the year. It's been a damn strong year for games and while Horizon is great, it doesn't really stand up against its competition IMO.

If PUBG was reviewed when it came out it would have gotten shitty scores for all the glitches and jank, but they're spending time fixing things but games like Prey or Street Fighter 5 never got a chance to fix things in the first few days because they weren't "Early Access" but all these games still charged for money and other early access games like Arc even have DLC before it comes out of early access.

I really think "Early Access" is the new "Beta" .

The game sold over 5 million copies on PC alone as an Early Access game in 4 months, has been in the top 3 or 4 most viewed games on Twitch since before it was even early access. Has a very active GAF community playing. I'm surprised there are people on GAF that are unfamiliar at this point. 3rd most concurrent players of all Steam games. Top of all games not CSGO or DOTA 2.

If PUBG was reviewed when it came out it would have gotten shitty scores for all the glitches and jank, but they're spending time fixing things but games like Prey or Street Fighter 5 never got a chance to fix things in the first few days because they weren't "Early Access" but all these games still charged for money and other early access games like Arc even have DLC before it comes out of early access.

It's not the new Beta. These are literally alpha or beta builds of the game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If the essay is the best in the class being 30% done, doesn't that reflect more poorly on the other essays that are 100% complete and not as good?

GOTY is 100% subjective. This isn't a graded test or some kind of race. If the people who are judging say "this game was the best game I played all year", does it really matter if it's 'finished' or not? And honestly, what games are really finished these days? As I mentioned before, Bethesda's won many GOTY awards with games that had to get patched for years after release.

Having some kind of "fair playing field" is just buying into the nonsensical idea that reviews and awards can ever truly be "objective".

No, because one essay being good doesn't mean the others are shit. A 9.5 essay is still better than a 9.0 essay, but in no case 9.0/10 is a bad mark. Nevertheless, as I said, whether something shows promise of being great doesn't necessarily mean that it will be once it's officially finished.

I agree that GOTY is 100% subjective, but we're not talking about individual GOTY lists here. We're talking about publications, websites, etc. The kind of GOTYs that warrant a "GOTY Edition". I'm sure no game will ever have a "Joey Ravn's GOTY 2017 Edition".

As for whether a "1.0" means something... Well, I told you why it's a convenient point of reference when measuring a game against others. I never said that reviews are objective or anything in those lines, so please don't put words in my mouth to derail my argument. I never said "fair", I said "equal", as in "they are all judged by what they present". That doesn't imply that the way those games are judged is objective. Those reviews will still be subjective, since they will represent the views of the author, but they will be able to be framed in a "estable" context, not during active development of a game.

Again, you can say that your toaster is your GOTY for all that everyone cares. It's completely subjective and all that. But that is not the point of my argument. If we're talking about a consensus of opinions (be them from GAF, IGN, Giant Bomb, Game Informer or the players of your favorite football team), then some sort of metric to establish what qualifies as a contender for GOTY or not will have to be used. A game being in Early Access or "released" can be a useful, yet arbitrary, way to create a set of games elegible for the award.

But, hey, you asked, I answered. There's no need to get so defensive about it. If you don't want to use that metric, don't fucking use it.

It does not qualify for me, because it is early access. And there are parts of that game that are just fucking broken, but we are willing to overlook that, because the game is not done. There is also a lack of content in the game itself, but we're working under the assumption that more will come. The game can be judged once the full game has been reeleased.

And there are parts of that game that are just fucking broken, but we are willing to overlook that, because the game is not done.
I disagree, people don't overlook the bugs and brokeness because it's an early-access title. People overlook the bugs and brokeness because it's still genuinely fun to play despite them. If the current build of PUBG was the full released version it'd still be just as successful as it is in early-access.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yea I'd say it is a contender for me.

For publications, Zelda or Mario will probably take it tho.

I will just ask him to family-share the game with me on Stream to test drive it.
Is that even possible for EA game though?

From a quick google search I see that you can family share the game as long as you already had sharing set up. They disabled it for new accounts because people were using it for abuse. Might be outdated info though.

Daffy Duck

Well maybe company's should stop releasing unfinished games as proper full release games?

Durante

Even if PUBG doesn't get any GOTYs it doesn't matter.

PUBG matters more than games like P5 or Nier could ever dream to.

I say that as someone who has never played and has no interest in playing PUBG.
That's pretty much exactly my opinion. All of it.
(As a huge fan of Nier!)

erawsd

Sure, why not? Just about every multiplayer game released these days is essentially a work in progress that will continue to see tweaks, fixes and re-balancing while introducing new features.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nier: Automata's ending E trumps all.

Its not just that by itself its a bit a really clever meta-game trickery, its how it perfectly caps off everything we (the players) have learned and experienced over the duration of the title.

It is sublime.

ultron87

If it comes out of Early Access to clear that potential eligibility hurdle, it's gonna have a very good shot at a lot websites. Giant Bomb, Polygon, and Waypoint all have daily/weekly streams where a large portion of the staff plays the game and has a great time. The only other game that dominated the conversation in such a way was Zelda, which also has a great shot on a wide spectrum.

I don't think it'll win for GAF because it won't be out on PS4 this year most likely.

Daffy Duck

Sure, why not? Just about every multiplayer game released these days is essentially a work in progress that will continue to see tweaks, fixes and re-balancing while introducing new features.

Indeed, Activision release the biggest game of the year unfinished....at full price, and complete it (maybe) months later after people pay £100+ for the game.

All I'll say is if PUBG wins goty over something like Zelda or Horizon gaf will go absolutely crazy and riot. Trust me, I've been here a while.

GAF will, but I wouldn't. I've put way more time, and gotten so much more enjoyment out of PUBG than I ever would have with Horizon or Zelda. I get so bored with single-player games.

If this was a weaker year like 2014 then sure, but BOTW and Horizon, not to mention the new Mario coming out? I'm sure it'll appear on someone's GOTY lists, but not a major publication that covers all platforms.

Ah yes. Great single player only experiences must outclass PUBG...

ghibli99

It might win at some other outlets, but I just don't see that happening here. I'd be shocked if it takes the top spot above HZD or BOTW, but hey, if it does? Cool.

In the future, when the game gets a proper launch as a finished product ;)
I'm afraid you're missing out on the best time to be a part of it then, and that's coming from someone who only watches.

I'll be honest here, I've played Zelda and Horizon, both incredibly strong games, Splatoon 2 currently playing and having a great time, I own and hopefully soon play Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, I have a gaming PC on which I'm looking forward to Divinity OS2 and still playing Doom, Mario Odyssey and other games are still coming out.

I had to google PUBG, never heard of it before, at all (PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds btw.). Always remember that Goty awards are usually popularity contests first and foremost.

Then again, I can be quite out of the loop in surprising areas so after seeing videos, this might get to be a contender for multiplayer of the year. But honestly, I can't see how it is revolutionary or industry changing in any way so, sorry, no, goty this won't be (but will try it out for sure, and maybe change my opinion).

Top Bottom