• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
i dont even know what a forward observation officer is. wehr lieutenant? brit lieutenant? brit captain? none of these things are particularly op, with the exception of the fire up ability brit lieuts get

FOOs allows your lead tank to bring in creeping smoke barrage with near-instant infantry suppression. It's useful but not OP at all...TDM just needs to stop sucking at videogames.

RoKKeR

When in the hell are we going to get some solid info from this? Forgive me for not following the thread closely but shouldn't we have something by now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When in the hell are we going to get some solid info from this? Forgive me for not following the thread closely but shouldn't we have something by now?

Well, the auction is taking much longer than I think we expected.

It could go through the night if the bidders are really going at it.

duckroll

The court hearing is tomorrow. Until then I think we'll just have to rely on rumors and second hand reports.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It is a private auction closed to the public, everything eil be settled tomorrow morning during the sellers hearing, which is happening the same time as that Nintendo Direct.

FOOs allows your lead tank to bring in creeping smoke barrage with near-instant infantry suppression. It's useful but not OP at all...TDM just needs to stop sucking at videogames.

wow, in 1200+ hours of coh i've genuinely never seen that before. might have to fuck around with it.

usually brits don't bother to bring in tanks because they can mob up piats and rifle grenades to obliterate literally any opposition you can dream up.

DocSeuss

What happens if there's stuff nobody bids on? I mean, who in the world wants Impossible Creatures? What happens if nobody bids on it? Does it become unowned abandonware?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
wow, in 1200+ hours of coh i've genuinely never seen that before. might have to fuck around with it.

usually brits don't bother to bring in tanks because they can mob up piats and rifle grenades to obliterate literally any opposition you can dream up.

So upsetting. Nothing makes my life harder than fighting Brits.

EDIT: and I say this as a PE player. God I love the PE.

Glass Rebel

It is a private auction closed to the public, everything eil be settled tomorrow morning during the sellers hearing, which is happening the same time as that Nintendo Direct.

We just bought THQ. And EA, Ubisoft, Warner and Sega while we're at it. Iwata out.

*drops mic*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How does an auction like this work? Like an every day auction for houses, as in are the bids open?
I suspect it's like a normal-ish auction, but much slower since it's corporations and people might be after package deals.

I'm not actually an expert here so I could be wrong.

HoosTrax

Yurop <3 Sega
Now it all makes sense why Napoleon and ETW are so popular...

(I've always liked the RTW setting and time period more, although Shogun was a nice change as well)

I will say prayer/make a sacrifice to Lord GabeN tonight that Sega is the winning bid for Relic.
Then we wake up tomorrow morning and find out that Ubi got Relic and EA got everything else. *sigh*

Gary answered btw -- Steam's down for the count.

So upsetting. Nothing makes my life harder than fighting Brits.

EDIT: and I say this as a PE player. God I love the PE.

if you're 2v2ing as PE against a brit/am combo, scout cars --> hotchkiss is the hottest new scrub stomping strat. it's a rough start against brits, but it works long-term.

no, i'm not joking.

scout cars en masse can ream anything that comes out of a WSC, counter bren carriers, do a lot of damage to brit squads and adjust to lock points when necessary. hotchkisses (hotchki?) are dirt cheap and a few of them upgunned can take on any tank from any army--up to and including the pershing--with a little micro. stukas are just a bonus.

of course they suck shit at dealing with infantry so you'll need some pgrens but you should have those anyway.

cohchat

Tiktaalik

Clearly Nintendo will be using their Nintendo Direct to announce they've bought the entirety of THQ!

edit: Damn you Glass Rebel!

"@DDInvesting: THQ: Sources indicate Ubisoft has emerged as a contending bidder for certain THQ assets"

Me right now:

joker6.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
if you're 2v2ing as PE against a brit/am combo, scout cars --> hotchkiss is the hottest new scrub stomping strat. it's a rough start against brits, but it works long-term.

no, i'm not joking.

scout cars en masse can ream anything that comes out of a WSC, counter bren carriers, do a lot of damage to brit squads and adjust to lock points when necessary. hotchkisses (hotchki?) are dirt cheap and a few of them upgunned can take on any tank from any army--up to and including the pershing--with a little micro. stukas are just a bonus.

of course they suck shit at dealing with infantry so you'll need some pgrens but you should have those anyway.

cohchat

I need to explore more with the scout cars. always loved hotchkissin' though, feels great. love those little guys. My micro isn't good enough to use them effectively enough though, I'll never be good at micro and I'm always at my limit as a PE. I should go american if I can't micro for nothin'. blob up and let the world burn.

DTKT

THQ Montreal is a perfect fit for either Ubi or EA. 400+ employees, work chain established, new building and a project already in motion.

Bishop, my good friend, you should also remember that it grants LTs and Cpts the officer 25 pounder barrage ability, the best single artillery ability in the whole game, which lands an extremely accurate shell almost instantly, being impossible to dodge in an online game with 150+ latency. It's irritating if it drops on your infantry, because it kills some guys and forces a retreat, it's infuriating when it drops on an mg, or a mortar, or a sniper and instagibs the whole team.

I think I've seen the tank smoke ability used like four times online, ever. The point is not that FOO is unbeatable, game breaking or such, but that it's far too effective compared to comparable artillery abilities, and unlocks far too early for how good it is (1 CP, first ability on that side of the tree).

panther battlegroups are terrible and if you let the enemy float 1000mp you deserve to lose

They save up for them, dude. PBG appear in almost every game unless the allies have ruthlessly outplayed them early game to the point where they can't even tech up to that. The first PBG being 1000 manpower is fine because of the tech costs associated with them and how much of a pop-cap drain they are. The issue is, as related to axis steamroller design, that subsequent PBGs are the same cost, and it's effectively the PE's method of getting late game overwhelming superiority (the Wehr gets vet, obviously).

axis needs to be a steamroller because allies are so ruthlessly overpowered early game (particularly brits, who can shit out what amounts to a t2 vehicle at t0)

Yes, when I complain about it being "irritating" I mean the whole game being designed around "strong Allies early/mid, unstoppable axis late game" results in frustration. Frustration for Axis because being outplayed slightly early on in the early or mid game spells doom half the time, and frustration for the allies because if you're outplaying them immensely in the late game they will still beat you most of the time. The feeling of losing when you're playing so much better than your opponent is one of those annoying things that I would love to vanquish in the sequel.

allied infantry blobs do suck, but there are plenty of ways to deal with them (now more than ever)

I can and do regularly deal with them. Once again, the point is not that it can't be defeated, but that it's too effective for how simple a strategy it is to pull off. I would say that the majority of online games feature rifleblobs, parablobs, or general british infantry spam. I'm only mid level axis though, since Allies were always my main. Being on the receiving end of allies sure changed my perception of the game balance, though.

I've played COH since it was released, i stop playing CoH when they released Tales of Valor. Worst expansion ever.

Best CoH map 1vs1 angoville

They save up for them, dude. PBG appear in almost every game unless the allies have ruthlessly outplayed them early game to the point where they can't even tech up to that. The first PBG being 1000 manpower is fine because of the tech costs associated with them and how much of a pop-cap drain they are. The issue is, as related to axis steamroller design, that subsequent PBGs are the same cost, and it's effectively the PE's method of getting late game overwhelming superiority (the Wehr gets vet, obviously).

this is so foreign to me. i legitimately get mad at my coh partner if i see him shit out a panther battle group, because i know that's effectively 3 MP44 squads / a hetzer + at halftrack / a hummel / etc. that won't be appearing any time soon. and unvetted PE panthers are so much worse than wehr panthers it's hard to justify the expense, especially with american paradropped AT guns that can fire at targets roughly ten thousand miles away.

that's my big balance complaint at the moment: competently micro'd american AT guns + snipers combo. the ultimate counter to basically everything PE has.

this is so foreign to me. i legitimately get mad at my coh partner if i see him shit out a panther battle group, because i know that's effectively 3 MP44 squads / a hetzer + at halftrack / a hummel / etc. that won't be appearing any time soon. and unvetted PE panthers are so much worse than wehr panthers it's hard to justify the expense, especially with american paradropped AT guns that can fire at targets roughly ten thousand miles away.

that's my big balance complaint at the moment: competently micro'd american AT guns + snipers combo. the ultimate counter to basically everything PE has.

AT guns are counter to everything PE has, PE strength is speed.

Zarx

SEGA is actually one of the best homes I can think of for Relic, they seem to have treated Creative Assembly very well. They don't have any garbage like Origin or Uplay to tack on ether.

I am kinda surprised they have the cash tho, I thought they were in trouble financially but were being propped up by SAMMY's profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom