• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Romir

Did anyone else guess the twists early on because it was the central idea of Fringe? You know, a father steals a child from himself in a parallel universe which brings the two into conflict.

DTKT

So what is the central message of Bioshock Infinite? Whatever choices you make in life, you're still screwed.

I think it's more about variables and constants. I mean, at the end of the story, Bookers choice made a pretty big impact by erasing Comstock from the list of variables.

spirity

BioShockInfinite2013-03-3100-18-34-07_zps79aa91c3.png

Why 12?

Sorian

Banned
Wouldn't your Elizabeth not exist at that point or was Booker married before that Baptism?

If we take it in the literal sense, no Elizabeth existed at the point of the baptism following Wounded Knee. Booker was also not married before the baptism. If that were true then an audio diary by Lady Comstock would make no sense. She explains how Comstock came to her and forgave her of her sins. Comstock would have no use for a wife if he already had one. He wasn't in it for the sex or relationship, he just needed an oven to stick his seed into.

Blinck

Ok guys I made to try to get my head around this and hopefully help some people here ( although I'm afraid this might confuse them more, if it's not correct )
Let me know if there is any mistake/error in here!

biotimeline.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If we take it in the literal sense, no Elizabeth existed at the point of the baptism following Wounded Knee. Booker was also not married before the baptism. If that were true then an audio diary by Lady Comstock would make no sense. She explains how Comstock came to her and forgave her of her sins. Comstock would have no use for a wife if he already had one. He wasn't in it for the sex or relationship, he just needed an oven to stick his seed into.

Fair enough. Who did Booker have Elizabeth with?

Gandie

It's a god damn amazing point and that's why I haven't touched it yet. I want to say that is just silly spit-balling but it could totally be true but I can't fathom the implications that would bring to the story and ending.

She wears it until here

"Wait, you're not. Who are you?"

Sorian

Banned
Fair enough. Who did Booker have Elizabeth with?

Random woman he met after Wounded Knee. There is a fun theory stating that both Booker and Comstock married the same woman in different realities which is a possibility.

Edit: And although Booker is the king of unreliable narrators, I think we can take him at face value when he said his wife died during child birth.

I'll be 100% honest and say that I hate the post-credit scene and I truly believe that 2K told Ken that the game had to have some type of "happy" ending so he just threw that in to appease his publisher. It wouldn't be the first time he had to compromise an ending for them.

(I think Booker only owned his work office and was "homeless" otherwise. That is total speculation but it makes sense with how desperate he is to get out from under his debt)

I originally edited this into my last post but I felt like giving it its own post :p

#teamSorian. My thoughts exactly. All Bookers are now drowned at the baptism, and Anna never exists.

ezekial45

Banned
Now I got some more questions after pondering the ending a bit more.

- What exactly happened when Booker went across the bridge after Elizabeth? Did the older Elizabeth create a tear that pulled him into the future?
- Did the choices between the bird and cage pendent matter? I'm curious if there were any variations from what older Elizabeth gives you and how the songbird reacts at the end.
- Was Rapture made in a universe where there was no Columbia?

Sorry if this has been answered, but who was the dead guy in the lighthouse at the beginning?

The keeper of the lighthouse. The guy who grants passage up to Columbia. There is clearly a struggle with the mane before you get there, and it is safe to assume that he lived there.

Gandie

I don't know which part of the video you mean and I don't feel like scrolling through looking for that line :p

From my glace through, it disappears when they enter the final room.

You're on mobile? I copied the link at the correct time. It's at 15:04.

"It's the only way to undo what I've done to you"

Sorian

Banned
#teamSorian. My thoughts exactly. All Bookers are now drowned at the baptism, and Anna never exists.

Oh shit! I have my own team! :D

Now I got some more questions after pondering the ending a bit more.

- What exactly happened when Booker went across the bridge after Elizabeth? Did the older Elizabeth create a tear that pulled him into the future?
- Did the choices between the bird and cage pendent matter? I'm curious if there were any variations from what older Elizabeth gives you and how the songbird reacts at the end.
- Was Rapture made in a universe where there was no Columbia?

1) Yes, when you walk across the bridge you are pulled to 1983 (or maybe 1984, whatever its the future). You are then in that time period until you meet with old Elizabeth. She then gives her speech and sends you back to six months after where she puleld you from.

2) The choice made no difference anywhere else in the game.

3) Presumably that is correct. All of the lighthouses show a city where a man will go that involves a girl with a strong protector. I believe we are supposed to assume that each reality that has these is independent from all other realities that have these.

Sorian

Banned
You're on mobile? I copied the link at the correct time. It's at 15:04.

"It's the only way to undo what I've done to you"

Not on mobile but I'll just assume its my archiac work computer failing as usual :p Yup, that is where I first saw it disappear as well.

Edit:
Booker dies numerous times. We only play as the perfect version of Booker that manages not to die once in the hundreds of encounters.

Well technically, we all die at one point or another in the game but at the very end. Yes, we are the one perfect Booker. I would also assume the Booker coming out of the lighthouse is also another perfect Booker.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So the twins are actually not twins but the same person, where in one universe lutece was born a girl and the other a boy? I missed a shit ton of recordings, was this well covered in any logs?

Guevara

So the twins are actually not twins but the same person, where in one universe lutece was born a girl and the other a boy? I missed a shit ton of recordings, was this well covered in any logs?

Yes it was pretty well confirmed. The constant was their general disposition and abilities.

The variable was the Y chromosome.

Sorian

Banned

That cute exchange that they had about always finishing each other's sentences was also a huge clue.

"It would be stranger if we didn't...."

Won

Who were the creepy kids(?) in Comstock House and why were they wearing masks and being reeducated?

Why did they only attack after the Boys of Silence were alerted to your presence?

That part felt really disjointed from the rest of the story but I probably missed something. It was like "now we need a scary section".

I'm still wondering if I missed something in that section. They act like the guys you killed and were confused of being alive again after you switch dimensions......but nothing in that area seems to amount to anything. It's pretty damn random without more context of what Elizabeth is doing.

Sorian

Banned
I'm still wondering if I missed something in that section. They act like the guys you killed and were confused of being alive again after you switch dimensions......but nothing in that area seems to amount to anything. It's pretty damn random without more context of what Elizabeth is doing.

It is helpful to note that that entire section takes place in the future (whever Old Liz pulls you too). I assume it is just supposed to be showing that Columbia becomes a fucked up place.

Dodecagon

Yes it was pretty well confirmed. The constant was their general disposition and abilities.

The variable was the Y chromosome.

Were there an audio log though? I mean, besides seeming obvious. I was just
wondering since I'm planning on playing again to find all the logs.

Hrmm... I majored in physics and none of this was covered in quantum a or b.

Honestly though, I found a lot of the psuedo-science to be off putting. It makes for a great tightly wound mystery though.

Is all of Booker's forgetting, such as him making up the new meaning for "bring us the girl, wipe away the debt", just supposed to be psychosis?

Sorian

Banned

Honestly though, I found a lot of the psuedo-science to be off putting. It makes for a great tightly wound mystery though.

This really doesn't stray too much from Quantum Theory. At most, all it does is put restrictions on the theory that aren't actually there.

Is all of Booker's forgetting, such as him making up the new meaning for "bring us the girl, wipe away the debt", just supposed to be psychosis?

Basically. It is his mind trying to make sense of all of the extra information he receives whenever he enters a new reality.

Ned

Neo Member
Just have to chime in and point out that I love this discussion.

For me this is evidence that games are capable of being more than shallow multi-player death matches...not that those can't be fun. I just find this experience much more engaging and thought provoking.

Dodecagon

This really doesn't stray too much from Quantum Theory. At most, all it does is put restrictions on the theory that aren't actually there.

I suggest you read up on quantum theory. Quantum mechanics basically served as magic. It reminded me of that movie, What the Bleep Do We Know!? A casual over extension of a few physical theories.

You know knowing what we know about the game it makes me look at the death scenes when Liz is resurrecting you in a different light. Are when you are at the door. I mean this is purely speculation but what if everytime you die you are actually "rezed" as another Booker following the perfect reality. Just funny if so is all.

Sorian

Banned
I suggest you read up on quantum theory. Quantum mechanics basically served as magic. It reminded me of that movie, What the Bleep Do We Know!?

I have read up on quantum theory. All mechanics did was take it one step further and say that instead of both things existing until observed, not it says both things still exist after being observed but the non-observation has its own reality somewhere else.

You know knowing what we know about the game it makes me look at the death scenes when Liz is resurrecting you in a different light. Are when you are at the door. I mean this is purely speculation but what if everytime you die you are actually "rezed" as another Booker following the perfect reality. Just funny if so is all.

That's the theory!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just for clarification, whenever Booker gets a nosebleed is when an alternate Booker dies right?

P.S. My life is falling apart at doing 1999 mode without using a Dollar Bill machine.

Booker dies numerous times. We only play as the perfect version of Booker that manages not to die once in the hundreds of encounters.

I still don't think it's the one Booker going from start to finish. What happens if you die while playing and you get back to that office? don't you just start from that point again as another Booker? We are told in the game that Booker is always stopped by something, more often than not it's songbird but it could be other things too. Playing as multiple Bookers also highlights the whole "Infinite" thing.
Booker at the start of the game is Booker 122 hence the code for the bells to enter Columbia 1-2-2, you drown as the priest baptises you so when you get to the Luteces for the coin flip you are Booker no.123 and your coin flip is the 123rd one.

That's basically it, yeah.

antonz

There is a few logs addressing Female Lucete bringing Male Lucete into the world and it being a traumatic experience for the male Lucete who is injured in the process.

The other major variable is Male Lucete has a conscious that is missing from female Lucete. It is male Lucete who demands they fix what they screwed up with Booker/Comstock and Anna. He goes as far as telling Female Lucete he will leave forever never to be seen again unless she helps.

Female Lucete has the attitude of oh well what's happened has happened will happen again while Male Lucete seems convinced that whats happened can be changed,

Sorian

Banned
I still don't think it's the one Booker going from start to finish. What happens if you die while playing and you get back to that office? don't you just start from that point again as another Booker? We are told in the game that Booker is always stopped by something, more often than not it's songbird but it could be other things too. Playing as multiple Bookers also highlights the whole "Infinite" thing.
Booker at the start of the game is Booker 122 hence the code for the bells to enter Columbia 1-2-2, you drown as the priest baptises you so when you get to the Luteces for the coin flip you are Booker no.123 and your coin flip is the 123rd one.

No one is arguing to say that the new Booker just appears where the old one dies. The game just cuts out the fluff and lets you assume that this new Booker did everything the exact same way you did throughout the game.

Just for clarification, whenever Booker gets a nosebleed is when an alternate Booker dies right?

P.S. My life is falling apart at doing 1999 mode without using a Dollar Bill machine.

Nosebleeds occur when trying to remember conflicting memories. When you cross over to an alternative universe, you remember what the other version of you remembers/did at the point that you crossed over. If the alternative version of you did exactly the same as you, your memory is fine since your memory is overwritten with the same information. If the alternative version did something different then your own memories are suppressed, erased or corrupted, their memories are suppressed, erased or corrupted and you 'fill in the blanks' with information you can remember.|

EDIT:
For the sake of convenience the above serves the purpose in explaining what I mean. As you've said, when you die you start again from the office but since this Booker does everything the exact same way we see the perfect Booker making it through to the end.

No one is arguing to say that the new Booker just appears where the old one dies. The game just cuts out the fluff and lets you assume that this new Booker did everything the exact same way you did throughout the game.

Yeah I speculated that before, it could be a tear right to the last point (unlikely) or cutting out all the replaying of the same stuff for gameplay sake (the one I actually believe). Just what he mentioned about it being the one perfect Booker from start to finish didn't sit well with me, I don't accept that idea.

Lunar15

Hold on, why would I drown myself when I'm not the booker who chose to be baptized and became Comstock? I fail to see how that eliminates Comstock from all timelines.

This is one of the reasons I think Infinite (and the original Bioshock, of course) is a step beyond other games. Very few games actually incorporate the restarting after you die concept of video games into the actual story and try to make it make sense in context.

Top Bottom