• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing the concept of time as you age

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When I was a teenager, I felt like I'd been alive forever. Childhood felt like decades ago.

Now I'm almost 40 and the last 16 years feel like a really short week sometimes.

Resetting Windows accounts at work, need D.O.B to confirm for IT security reasons -
Customer: "My DOB is X.X.1999"
Me: "What the fuck?! But you're just a kid!" *Realise that it's actually 2017 and this "kid" is old enough to work...I feel so old now.*

Can we please slow down time Max Payne style, please. Only feels like yesterday that I was last in education, now been in work for almost 8 years. Also feels like the 90s were just ten years ago and the early 2000s were a few years ago. It's not fair. :(

- Oh hey buddy long time no see!
- Yeah I feel like it's been ages!
- Actually, we last saw each other at **** 7 years ago.
- Oh

Actual conversation with a friend of mine. Get used to it OP.

Parch

Knowledge extend beyond memories. You can increase your time frame perception by studying and caring about history. It opens up your logical thinking and decision making by learning the mistakes and successes throughout history.

It's depressing to see so many people who don't give a shit about what happened before they were born. They're selfishly stuck in their minimal time frame of existence. Instead of requiring to learn mistakes yourself through experience, learn from others who have already made the same mistakes. You'll avoid a lot of disappointment and make better use of your time..

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
From experience, change and extremely difficult periods of your life can slow it down.

I went through a divorce at 31 a few years back and holy shit did that whole period of my life slow way down while going through it.

On the other hand, I was reading about the impending writer's strike and was like "didn't that just happen like a few years ago? oh damn it was 10 years"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah. Moments that didn't happen long ago feel like they're super distant while stuff 8-10 years ago feel recent lol.

Reversed

It's kinda weird while being at work.

Doing the same dull stuff? Time flies.

On a tight deadline? Every second feels like a minute.

The older you get the more responsibilities you have, so you're busy all the time. I was thinking about this on my drive home last night. It's been four years since I came home after separating from the military. All of that seems like it just happened yesterday.

Not

Banned
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

The working week doesn't help. You race through the week looking forward to the weekend then you suddenly realise it's 10 years later.

Always combatting this by-- uh, enjoying work

Lothar

Banned
Just think about it. Every poster in this thread, is going to be dead one day.

THINK ABOUT IT.

At least there will be our posts to remember us by. Hello future!

It's no surprise how fast time goes when you consider how much of the time we spent at work or sleeping. I wake up at 6, leave at 7, commute to work for a hour, and work from 8 to 6. When I get home, it's 7, and I have about 3 hours of free time. 3 hours of time that I even would want to remember. How much memories can you build in 3 hours? I spent those 3 hours yesterday watching Monday Night Raw, lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This phenomenon only reinforces my theory that raising children is the reason we're alive. There's nothing like the well-defined years of your youth. There's a sense of solidity and rightness to that time that you never feel again as an adult. That's not to mention the crushing monotony of the fact that everything starts to blend together. There's something special about fully being part of an era. I think that's why old people refer to their younger years as "their day" or "their time." Their time is up. It belongs to the next generation now.

Living vicariously through the present day youth is the only way to get that feeling back.

I sound mad old. I'm not really though. Just being a bit introspective, I guess.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seeing friend's kids and my nieces grow up zaps me back to reality and makes me realize that I'm 35 now even though 25 doesn't seem that long ago. It probably doesn't help due to working at the same college I graduated from. Everything blurs together.

Acorn

It slows way down again once you've retired.
Retirement won't exist when I'm due it. Or it'll be at such an age that I'm probably dead already.

#happythoughts

Gonna need to heavily invest in a private pension if I want a decent age of retirement going by the trend of bumping up the ages for every generation but babyboomers(who get mininmal​ bumps) by 5 every few years.

My perception of time is that it keeps moving faster and faster, and that's fine with me because I don't really want to be here anymore.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I get this all the time when I'm talking to people. "Oh, such-and-such a movie, that came out what, four, five years ago?" "Dude... it came out in 1998..."

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
When you're forced to be doing something you don't want to be doing for 40+ hours a week, time usually goes fast when you're wishing it away.

Pachinko

When you're forced to be doing something you don't want to be doing for 40+ hours a week, time usually goes fast when you're wishing it away.

I was giving this exact line some extra thought today while working all damn day and yeah...
our brains run on autopilot for a lot of things, repetitive actions start to blur together , only changes stick out. Unfortunately in training our minds to get us through a boring day of work , we also train them to blur together everything else that's unchanging from one day to the next.

I'm willing to bet it's not at all uncommon for the average adult to spend upwards of 14 hours a day every monday to friday doing stuff like this. Then, you know, take away sleep and you're left with 2-4 hours of time to really do something with purpose if you have the energy anyway. If you have kids ? well, you end up losing that too, the trade off being some sense of real adulthood (caring for a smaller human). This means you get only 2 days a week to really feel time pass doing something meaningful for yourself but, in most cases once sleep , hygiene and household chores are done and possibly you've socialized a bit with friends you don't see all the time ... well even most of that time is accounted for.

And so, month slips on by where you've only actually spend 8 hours or so feeling human... some months stack up and it feels like Christmas was a week ago (it's been 4 months) a few more months stack up and it's halloween, etc etc.

Basically you don't need a magic remote control to be Adam Sandler in the movie "click". It just happens on it's own.

TFlat

Does anyone feel the opposite to this?

I'm 32 and a single workday takes forever to end to me, events from 2 weekends ago feel like a lifetime.

I'm never particularly busy and I don't want kids and all the other bullshit, I also make time to learn new stuff constantly and do things I enjoy daily. I guess the danger is just being on autopilot and never having time for yourself?

It probably helps that I am transgender and currently transitioning, waiting for things to change is a long slow process...

Acorn

Does anyone feel the opposite to this?

I'm 32 and a single workday takes forever to end to me, events from 2 weekends ago feel like a lifetime.

I'm never particularly busy and I don't want kids and all the other bullshit, I also make time to learn new stuff constantly and do things I enjoy daily. I guess the danger is just being on autopilot and never having time for yourself?

It probably helps that I am transgender and currently transitioning, waiting for things to change is a long slow process...
Well yeah because this is probably the or one of most important things you've done in your life it will likely make everything seem to slow down.

Hope everything goes well btw. Can only imagine what you've had to go through to reach this point.

I mean medically getting clearance and all that shit. Had some problematic wording there.

Kinda makes me a little sad. Time just goes by faster and things aren't as special as they once were. I remember when a summer felt like a life time as a child.

Karamsoul

I'm 31. The last 8-10 years are just an indistinct blur to me. I used to be really good about judging time, easily able to recall what year a life event happened, or when a particular game or movie came out, but now I have no idea. The 90s and early 2000s are still really defined in my head but god knows when, say, Game of Thrones started or The Avengers came out.

Wait until you hit 41. It'll feel like you were in your 30's for barely a couple of years.

I remember when waiting a year for a new game or movie or whatever to come out seemed like an eternity.

Now I look ahead and the time seems trivial, it will be here too fast.

There's gotta be mental exercises that help the brain remember and sort the years as they fly by. I hate that the last 10 years of my life is a jumbled mess for the most part.

Acorn

I remember when waiting a year for a new game or movie or whatever to come out seemed like an eternity.

Now I look ahead and the time seems trivial, it will be here too fast.

There's gotta be mental exercises that help the brain remember and sort the years as they fly by. I hate that the last 10 years of my life is a jumbled mess for the most part.
Yeah. I could swear the og reboot of prey getting cancelled was last year but the new reboot is out in two weeks. Nuts.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's a little scary how this can happen. The primary time accelerator is work. Day in, day out, week after week being preoccupied with work just makes time go by way too fast. Especially if you're in an occupation where a majority of the time you're always a little behind schedule.

I made the huge mistake of not structuring my free time outside of work in my 30s so I could accomplish my other goals and dreams incrementally. Work was so stressful that my free time was eaten up by just trying to recover from the stress of it.

Don't do what I did. Keep a list of goals and update it often. Do a breakdown of what you need to do every week in order to reach them. Set hard limits on how much work eats into the rest of your life. Don't just live day to day with no long-term plans.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's funny, your school years (which might either be the best years of your life, or the worst) seem to last an eternity.

Everything after that is more rapid, and is either better, or worse, but you don't forget those formative years which seemed to last a lifetime on their own!

Acorn

Opposite for me. My school years were so busy and happy that they seemed to go by in a flash. Everything after has crawled.
Interesting. My primary and high school years were mostly good/ok with little real bad experiences beyond the regular shit of being a teen. They still felt extremely slow.

I may be attaching more happiness to that time then actually existed though given concerns of that time seem trivial now.

Parch

There's nothing like the well-defined years of your youth. There's a sense of solidity and rightness to that time that you never feel again as an adult. That's not to mention the crushing monotony of the fact that everything starts to blend together. There's something special about fully being part of an era. I think that's why old people refer to their younger years as "their day" or "their time." Their time is up. It belongs to the next generation now.
Not true. Retirement is like a rebirth. To be financially stable and once again having the time to do what you want is wonderful. They might not want to do the same things they did in their youth, but they can now do the things they've always wanted to do. People reminisce about their youth but that doesn't mean "their time is up". Retirement is their new time.

It's not so much about age, it's about having the time to do what you want. That can be in your youth or it can be during retirement. Breaking away from the monotony of work life can be more liberating than anytime during your life.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Not true. Retirement is like a rebirth. To be financially stable and once again having the time to do what you want is wonderful. They might not want to do the same things they did in their youth, but they can now do the things they've always wanted to do. People reminisce about their youth but that doesn't mean "their time is up". Retirement is their new time.

It's not so much about age, it's about having the time to do what you want. That can be in your youth or it can be during retirement. Breaking away from the monotony of work life can be more liberating than anytime during your life.

Y-you're retired?

Congratulations.

GPsych

So I'm sure there will be people on here that will say, "stealth brag post," but I do actually have some weird insight here. In December, I received some really positive news that I will be essentially set financially (not extremely so) starting April or May of 2018. I am currently 39 years old.

Although I'm not in bad shape financially by any means, this new income is essentially a life changer. However, I have to wait about another year. Prior to this, 18 months felt like nothing just as a lot of you are reporting. I've been a licensed psychologist for 10 years starting this summer and it feels like I just got that letter in the mail from the psych board maybe a year ago.

Suddenly, since this news, each week is really slow. This month especially feels like a year. The work day is incredibly slow. Even the evenings seem like I'm 13 years-old again. I wonder if novel expectations slow things down?

Acorn

I want to be retired. Why can't I retire?

wetwired

it's probably already been mentioned but another theory is that as you get older, new experiences become fewer and fewer so they're not registered in the brain as much as when you're younger and it gives the perception that time is passing quicker

It's a little scary how this can happen. The primary time accelerator is work. Day in, day out, week after week being preoccupied with work just makes time go by way too fast. Especially if you're in an occupation where a majority of the time you're always a little behind schedule.

I made the huge mistake of not structuring my free time outside of work in my 30s so I could accomplish my other goals and dreams incrementally. Work was so stressful that my free time was eaten up by just trying to recover from the stress of it.

Don't do what I did. Keep a list of goals and update it often. Do a breakdown of what you need to do every week in order to reach them. Set hard limits on how much work eats into the rest of your life. Don't just live day to day with no long-term plans.

This is something I need to try and do more often.

Even something as benign as getting really into a videogame helps slow the fast pace of life I think. The first couple weeks after Zelda came out recently is a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom