• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines is out on Xbox One today, any impressions?

As someone who played this on a Macbook Pro with low/medium settings, I don't mind the lag. I'm mainly concerned about the replay value without mods. I've played it for 200+ hours on my Macbook and it's mostly thanks to adding new mods all the time. My Macbook Pro so I'm without a capable machine till fall.

rainz

Just saw that there is actually no triple and possibly even double speed settings on xbone for this? I understand why but damn... Doesn't that mean a whole lot of waiting around when you can't speed days up etc? :/

mike6467

Just saw that there is actually no triple and possibly even double speed settings on xbone for this? I understand why but damn... Doesn't that mean a whole lot of waiting around when you can't speed days up etc? :/

This seems like a dealbreaker. A lot of the fun in these games is trying different stuff out, and without having the ability to speed things up I can't imagine I'd stick with it very long. I'm interested in how they pulled off gamepad support though. The game great on PC, if not a bit too simple. It's also the closest thing we have to a modern successor to Simcity 4, so I hope these guys do well and continue to improve what they've got.

Gowans

I'm having a mare with metro lines, think I've knackered the whole thing up, is there a way to clear my routes?

I'm curious how xbone players will feel about this game, since it is heavily reliant on mods and workshop assets. Vanilla maybe fun for your first couple of cities, but as you play along, you'll notice that mechanically, the game is rather shallow. The devs have dumb-down some functions of the game in order to make it more appealing to casual players by removing the ability to micro-manage. In fact, there are several issues with the core game that the devs have refused to address. These issues actually make the game somewhat frustrating to play when your city reaches a sizable population (around 100k). Mods have fixed some of these issues but again, the devs seem to rely on mods to fix these problems for them.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It won't let me go to metro view with the select tool, must be missing something?

Ok so I just tried, and in fact you can delete stops (and thus the whole line if you delete all stops from a line) by hovering on the line's stop while in line creation mode, and pressing X.

Too bad there's no underground view toggle in this version.

Gowans

Ok so I just tried, and in fact you can delete stops (and thus the whole line if you delete all stops from a line) by hovering on the line's stop while in line creation mode, and pressing X.

Thanks for helping me here, I'lll finnally be able to fix the mess of my metro tonight

Castef

Banned
I'm curious how xbone players will feel about this game, since it is heavily reliant on mods and workshop assets.

The game got wonderful reviews on PC even before the first mods started to appear.

I think it has a good longevity without the mods, I've never applied them on PC and played a lot of it.

Hawk269

I watched some videos from the Xbox One Store that people have posted and it looks like a decent port. Saw some big cities and you can see the slowdown, but mostly it did not look that bad. I know these were video's and all and you cannot tell 100% but it looks promising. I love these kind of games even though I suck at them...but might bite or wait for a sale since time is limited for gaming right now.

EvB

I was enjoying it last night, one major gripe is there is no way (I can find) to speed up time, so it is very very slow to get going

Pjsprojects

Well my wife is playing the Xbox version at the moment and says it very much like an older Simcity but no speed up option is a killer,this needs patching in ASAP.

Also she keeps being told that an outside connection is required even though she has the town connected to the highway.

TimeLike

Seems like a really expensive workaround. This is dumb. Or I am dumb maybe. There has to be a way to delete the lines without demolishing the stations or tunnels.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Seems like a really expensive workaround. This is dumb. Or I am dumb maybe. There has to be a way to delete the lines without demolishing the stations or tunnels.

It's not demolishing stations and tunnels, delete the stop on the line, not the physical stop.

When in line creation mode, over a line's stop (a circle), and press X to delete the stop on this line.
It's not while using the bulldozer.

Fredrik

The game got wonderful reviews on PC even before the first mods started to appear.

I think it has a good longevity without the mods, I've never applied them on PC and played a lot of it.
Yeah it's awesome and never added any mods either.

Hawk269

I decided to pick it up last night and had a blast with it. My first City was totally jacked up, but as I learned the game a little more I was able to expand quite a bit. Having a lot of fun with it and not seeing an issue without having the fast forward that many have brought up. Then again, I never played the PC version, so not sure exactly what it is with it. Overall, really happy with the game so far. Still learning as there are some things I don't understand, but still it is something refreshing on consoles.

Caayn

So anyone who picked this up and got a late game city? How's the performance?

The best I can find is a city with ~35K citizens.

NysGAF

I have a city with I think 60,000+. I have the airport, but not the international one. The game runs very well. I've had no complaints except for the strange district name bug.

Hawk269

I have a city with I think 60,000+. I have the airport, but not the international one. The game runs very well. I've had no complaints except for the strange district name bug.

Yeah, I have expanded to about 40k and really not much slowdown at all. I have some hiccups here and there, but overall it has not been too bad at all. Really addictive and a time sucker!

Yeah, I have expanded to about 40k and really not much slowdown at all. I have some hiccups here and there, but overall it has not been too bad at all. Really addictive and a time sucker!

I'd say the performance has been pretty good. Better than what I had on my PC - but then again, my PC is kind of ass.

It's been a lot of fun. The only thing I don't like about the XB1 version is the lack of options on map design/editing. The PC game had map editing built in...not sure why it's not there in the XB1 version. Would also love to see some mods, even if a curated set of mods, make their way over.

Caayn

Thanks for the response everyone. It's good to hear that it at least runs good when you're in the X0.000 region.

Caayn

Ok, I went in and bought the game. The W10 version pushed me over the edge, I want to be able to play on console and PC with one save file in the future when my GF is using the living room TV. Although I didn't immediately bought the W10 version, paying 2x €40,- is a bit much. Shame that it isn't XPA :(

That said, the controller works surprisingly well after being used to the K/M controls on the Steam version. One major downside so far is the aggressive LOD, for example:
citiesskylinescaayn1yxsqg.png
citiesskylinescaayn28os9p.png

Notice how nearly every detail from the street is gone if you zoom out just a little? The arrows on the road, lights, road signs, sewage drains/entrance points.

M.W.

Bought this a few nights ago on X1. I've been watching Twitch streams to get an idea of what to do and when to do it. I started two cities with unlimited funds to get an idea of how to play the game. Tonight, I started my first legit city, doing pretty good so far. The game plays fine on console. It's an absolute time sink. I love it. The only gripe is the slowdown when zooming in.

Caayn

Game received an update on the XB1 allowing you to fast forward and road markings are now visible from a further distance.

NysGAF

The consoles are getting DLC, starting with Snowfall on November 14. A total of 7 DLC packs are planned.

Every expansion is being prepared for a controller-friendly experience on the Xbox One. Cities: Skylines has always been a game about growth, creativity, and expansion, and we want to make sure our fans get a full, rich experience with all the options they want, regardless of where they’re playing. Players who pick up the Season Pass or the Premium Edition will get each piece of DLC as soon as it’s available, starting with Snowfall in November. The full list will include:

Snowfall (full expansion)
Natural Disasters (full expansion)
Mass Transit (full expansion)
High Tech Buildings (content creator pack)
Art Deco (content creator pack)
Relaxation Station (radio station DLC)
Rock City Radio (radio station DLC)

I'm still playing daily, trying to get all the monuments. I'm excited to start a new city with the DLC and see if it breathes new life into the experience.

Top Bottom