• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot VR is the showcase game that can turn skeptics into believers

fvng

I've always been on the fence about VR and boy did Superhot VR change everything for me. The PSVR demos I tried at Best Buy many months ago were OKAY but not mind blowing in the way Superhot is. I think those demos were Battlezone and Eve Valkrie, but neither elicited the ear to ear smile and belly laughs of playing Superhot... leaping to the floor to grab a gun, and using in game objects as cover is just so unreal.

Sony should start putting PSVR Demos of Superhot in every major electronics chain and I highly doubt they'll be able to keep PSVR units on the shelves as a result.

Senua

I've always been on the fence about VR and boy did Superhot VR change everything for me. The PSVR demos I tried at Best Buy many months ago were OKAY but not mind blowing in the way Superhot is.

The demo shown many months ago at Best Buy was Battlezone and Eve Valkrie, but neither elicited the ear to ear smile and belly laughs of playing Superhot... leaping to the floor to grab a gun, and using in game objects as cover is just so unreal.

Sony should start putting PSVR Demos of Superhot in every major electronics chain and I highly doubt they'll be able to keep PSVR units on the shelves as a result.

Yea it's awesome, now imagine it with decent motion controllers.

Ubername

Banned
Yeah I'll be honest, I thought VR was stupid until I tried it. The shootings a little whack and I still want to get up and walk but it's a mind blowjob for sure the first time around.

I heard that about Vanishing Realms, Raw Data, Robo Recall, Bridge Crew, Lone Echo and Thumper. And in a way, it has never been wrong.

Shifty

Now play Robo Recall and have your mind blown by the best combat in the medium.

I very much enjoyed Superhot, but played the VR version fairly recently and there's a certain lack of polish that shows its nature as a first-wave title.

I played some myself and it is truly amazing and a lot of fun. I was having a bit of an issue with the left hand constantly floating away, but that might be my camera position. But when it worked perfectly it was a blast. I'm hoping i get better at throwing items, its super tough for me.

Wonko_C

The London Heist did that to me, I hope I get SuperHot VR soon, I haven't even played the non-VR version.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
actually lone echo is the best vr experience available.
it figured out how to do locomotion.
and that game is not possible with normal controllers.

Z..

Meh. Great game, but the VR enhancements remain entirely unsubstantial as far as I'm concerned. It gives games a bit more oomph but it really isn't bringing anything new to the experience, from my perspective. I fully welcome VR and hope to see it widely adopted as it does make the experience marginally better, but I still fail to understand what is so revolutionary and tranformativoe about the experience.

wondermega

Amazing game, I picked it up on Vive when it released on that platform this past spring. I'll agree it is an absolutely transformative experience. Strong contender for my GOTY 2017 matter of fact.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Try playing it with room scale on the HTC Vive or the best controller on the Oculus Rift. It'll blow your mind again. Also try Lone Echo, Google Earth etc as well. Superhot VR is last year story on the PC

You know its funny we have got such thread now, when every Oculus users has been saying that since last year amidst the "VR is dead" threads.

BANGS

Banned
VR amplifies the experience ten fold

To each his own, but I don't see how a game that's not designed for VR is enhanced by VR...

VR doesn't make regular games better, quite the opposite actually. VR is only good for games designed to be played via VR...

fvng

To each his own, but I don't see how a game that's not designed for VR is enhanced by VR...

VR doesn't make regular games better, quite the opposite actually. VR is only good for games designed to be played via VR...

have you even played it in VR? They successfully adapted the game concept into VR. It did make the game better, so there goes your argument bruh

MDSLKTR

Now play Robo Recall and have your mind blown by the best combat in the medium.

I very much enjoyed Superhot, but played the VR version fairly recently and there's a certain lack of polish that shows its nature as a first-wave title.
Robo recall does look mind blowing.

Shifty

Robo recall does look mind blowing.

The moment when you realise that you can uppercut a robot into the air and gun juggle it like Dante is mindblowing.

And those aren't special moves or anything, just a quality of the game's physics engine.

It was designed to be played via VR. It's called Superhot VR. I hope you don't believe the same about Skyrim VR, because that's crazy talk.

BANGS

Banned
Is that a troll or a joke? Do you not understand the difference between a VR port and a game designed with VR in mind?

BANGS

Banned
Those are VR ports with a little extra effort put into the control scheme. They aren't games built with VR in mind. VR adds nothing to the gameplay of those games...

It's like twilight princess. The gamecube version is better because that's how it was meant to be played. Adding in motion controls on the wii version didn't make it any better, quite the opposite actually...

Now take wii sports, a game that was made with motion controls in mind. That's a game thats fun with motion controls, and would suck with a regular controller. That is the difference between a VR port and a game created specifically for VR...

I got this in Oculus' Touch Anniversary sale, not had a chance to play it yet. The initial VR buzz wore off for me quite quickly after Robo Recall and Lone Echo. There's some amazing experiences out there but not enough that go beyond the initial "wow".

Fbh

Those are VR ports with a little extra effort put into the control scheme. They aren't games built with VR in mind. VR adds nothing to the gameplay of those games...

It's like twilight princess. The gamecube version is better because that's how it was meant to be played. Adding in motion controls on the wii version didn't make it any better, quite the opposite actually...

Now take wii sports, a game that was made with motion controls in mind. That's a game thats fun with motion controls, and would suck with a regular controller. That is the difference between a VR port and a game created specifically for VR...

Yet to this date Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the few Wii games where I found motion controls to be enjoyable.
And two thirds of that package wasnt originally designed for motion controls

fvng

Yet to this date Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the few Wii games where I found motion controls to be enjoyable.
And two thirds of that package wasnt originally designed for motion controls

You're responding to someone who is making statements based on misinformation and gut feelings. I wouldn't worry about his opinion at all

Superhot is an amazing game, but the experience is not at all improved by VR...

That's completely ridiculous. I played it on my Rift with Touch and it was thrilling. Nothing better than hitting a guy with your shotgun, then shooting a guy running towards you with a knife, grabbing the knife he releases in midair, only to throw the knife at a dude running towards you. Doing that with Touch, in VR, is exhilarating. You don't know what you're talking about.

fvng

That's completely ridiculous. I played it on my Rift with Touch and it was thrilling. Nothing better than hitting a guy with your shotgun, then shooting a guy running towards you with a knife, grabbing the knife he releases in midair, only to throw the knife at a dude running towards you. Doing that with Touch, in VR, is exhilarating. You don't know what you're talking about.

He's never played the VR version. He thinks they tacked on VR mode to the OG game #lol

Galmteam

Neo Member
I stand by the fact that its one of the maybe 4-5 VR games worth paying any attention to. And its the best one of that group.

Top Bottom