• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

i9hblIyRzXAdC.jpg

how quaint.

A serious question: are all X1 interface functions also mapped to the controller? Like, for example, snapping or app switching. Because if they aren't, people in other countries won't even be able to use their X1s. I think I read that game VCR is voice activated, there's no button (it was used as a feature). So if you're Spanish, for example, can you even record your games?

Of course it will work with a controller. It's just a whole lot easier to use Kinect.

For example, to do the recordings I imagine that you would open Upload Studio in snap mode and then the buttons to start/stop recording would be on the side of the screen.

So you have to walk to the box for put it on ? lol

Or just push the Xbox button to turn it on, just like you can with 360.

Ardenyal

A serious question: are all X1 interface functions also mapped to the controller? Like, for example, snapping or app switching. Because if they aren't, people in other countries won't even be able to use their X1s. I think I read that game VCR is voice activated, there's no button (it was used as a feature). So if you're Spanish, for example, can you even record your games?

You can use the intuitive hand gestures for snapping.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Absolutely unacceptable, especially considering they had to cut countries for localization in the first place. The tiers of countries are just tiers of how badly MS has fucked up the launch of the Xbox One.

It's increasingly seeming like while Sony had their shit together and started work early, MS scrambled when it came to their planning and mistook the longevity of the 360 and the 10 year plan's trajectory.

Nerfon

Ok found answer : You can use other inputs to control your games, TV and entertainment experiences: While it’s faster to find what you’re looking for using your voice and gesture commands with Kinect, you can use a controller, your remote controls or your smart devices instead. And you can use all of these devices when Kinect is paused.

So are they only going to launch in 5 countries then?

I mean if that's the reason for shifting from their full launch to only 13 countries, then is stands to reason they'll delay the launch in another 7, right?

Since that won't be the case, this is confirmation of the "localization problems" aren't the reason for cutting back the launch countries. If anything, this gives MS less justification for launching in only those 13 countries since not all of them will have voice support. I really am not a fan of lies. A "No comment" would have suited me just fine, or even a "Our manufacturing is inline with the number of consoles we planned on releasing." Just don't lie about it.

Edit: Misunderstood you OP. I see we actually agree. Edited my post accordingly.

So Kinect is pretty much useless in those countries then. No Kinect games to play, and no voice control of the XBox. I'm so glad I'm going to wait, maybe a year from now I'll have a clearer picture of what Xbox is offering.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow, so in most countries at launch, not only isn't there a Kinect flagship game, but now Kinect doesn't even do one of its most important functions for the interface. Talk about a 80 euro waste of money.

And man, it's so hilarious this would happen right after they made their excuses about the 21 -> 13 country delay being about the languages and Kinect integration and how they would never release the XBO in the countries without such a pivotal feature since it's so central to the XBO experience!

Oppo

Wow, so in most countries at launch, not only isn't there a Kinect flagship game, but now Kinect doesn't even do one of its most important functions for the interface. Talk about a 80 euro waste of money.

And man, it's so hilarious this would happen right after they made their excuses about the 21 -> 13 country delay being about the languages and Kinect integration and how they would never release the XBO in the countries without such a pivotal feature since it's so central to the XBO experience!

It was amusing for awhile, but now it's just sort of sad.

They're gonna limp across that starting line. I k ow they'll recover but geeeeez. 3rd console curse, strikes again

Amir0x

Banned
It was amusing for awhile, but now it's just sort of sad.

They're gonna limp across that starting line. I k ow they'll recover but geeeeez. 3rd console curse, strikes again

I actually genuinely feel for Albert Penello in this topic... he's like the Major Nelson in this situation, claiming they can't do 180s because he genuinely believes that and has been told that, and then something like this happens.

But it goes to show... shit is still very messy and fluid right now at Microsoft. They are still not ready, simply put.

From the documentation (cboats importers guide) I get the feeling that voice control is determined by locale set

My guess is that will be changed so you can choose the kinect language however you want

As it should be

So you can be on a non-supported locale while using US english

Just baseless speculation though

And if that doesn't happen, there's going to be a lot of US locale X1's around the world

Mentok

Banned
This was my issue with Kinect V1.0, and why I never bought it. Microsoft has yet to really sell me (and I'm sure others) on why I really need it. They can talk about the specs as much as they want, but there's nothing they have shown that screamed "I need Kinect for this!" They used the voice commands as their central pitch for Kinect during the launch, but now it's not that big a deal since over 50% of their launch countries won't have access to it. Yes, the voice commands are simple, but using a controller/remote is simple too.

Is it cool tech? Absolutely! Is it necessary? Still waiting for them to sell me on that.

So one of the main features of the Kinect will not even work at launch...wtf. They have been heavily promoting the Kinect as a major piece of the Xbox One's appeal, over in Australia as well. If they have any sort of description on the box about voice recognition then that would be false advertising. Seriously, don't release the thing until it's ready to be used locally, you can imagine that people are going to be buying this thing expecting it to actually work.

King326

Seems to me that they should have just launched it when it was fully ready. But they didn't want to wait and wanted to head 2 head this holiday season.

cripterion

I get the feeling Xbox One is really just a US/UK console. Those are the only places the full vision works, it's really bizarre.

I'm trying to see how this makes business sense. More money from fewer users perhaps, or maybe get the 'easy' countries done first and slowly expand I don't know.

There seems to be plenty of love for France too.

Nokterian

For me this is a indication that MS was making haste with Xbone,the development is way to short and to think of that even Killer Instinct and Forza are still in the making and delivering those games in november..well you know you pay for more or less half a game and it is still not finished pay up front 60 euro's.

Skeff

Hopefully no developer actually does that. Would be stupid as hell and make the feature largely a joke.

It's just for massive spoilers to prevent them being all over facebook before the game launches.

Ancient example would be final fantasy 7 where:

Sephiroth kills aeris.

Can you imagine videos of that all over the internet before playing it...

I really think it's only going to be used in extreme cases like if a main character dies.

I'm going to take a big fat assumption and say MS were nowhere near prepared for a launch outside US this year. And even that seems generous to say.

I actually genuinely feel for Albert Penello in this topic... he's like the Major Nelson in this situation, claiming they can't do 180s because he genuinely believes that and has been told that, and then something like this happens.

But it goes to show... shit is still very messy and fluid right now at Microsoft. They are still not ready, simply put.

It's been like watching a car accident.

Wait, does this mean that 8 out of the 13 markets the Xbox One is being sold at won't actually offer it's biggest feature? What the hell is this?

Yep.. Penello was the first thing I thought of..this takes the air out of much of his reassurance.

Relativ9

I'm starting to wonder if they wouldn't just be better off delaying the whole launch til Q1 2014, seems like so much isn't ready yet. Am I wrong in thinking they could make a bigger bang if they had the launch going off without a hitch a few months after Sony so they can have the spotlight all to them selves? Rather then the media reporint on how botched the launch is compared to the competition?

Dragon Carr

Neo Member
MS are chronically inefficient and managerially incompetent across the board.

Every time a manager is in place long enough to start evaluating them by their own competence they reorg. I have personally saved the jobs of multiple managers I worked for who were "dumber than a bag of hammers".

Jomjom

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if they wouldn't just be better off delaying the whole launch til Q1 2014, seems like so much isn't ready yet. Am I wrong in thinking they could make a bigger bang if they had the launch going off without a hitch a few months after Sony so they can have the spotlight all to them selves? Rather then the media reporint on how botched the launch is compared to the competition?

No that would be death to miss the holiday season. Q1 2014 would be the worst time as purchasing goes way down after the holidays.

It's much more prudent to launch hitches and all when it only affects a few countries, that in the larger picture, really matters little to the health of the Xbox brand. I feel for the people in the countries not supported, but to MS's business you don't really matter all that much.

Relativ9

No that would be death to miss the holiday season. Q1 2014 would be the worst time as purchasing goes way down after the holidays.

It's much more prudent to launch hitches and all when it only affects a few countries, that in the larger picture, really matters little to the health of the Xbox brand. I feel for the people in the countries not supported, but to MS's business you don't really matter all that much.

It's not like they're not both going to sell out at launch anyway right? No matter when that is.

Withnail

I'm going to take a big fat assumption and say MS were nowhere near prepared for a launch outside US this year. And even that seems generous to say.

It makes me wonder how much disruption the DRM reversal actually caused there. Presumably having to completely revise the whole policy framework of the console has had a cost in terms of diverting resources and could be one of the reasons they seem to be struggling to get on an even keel.

It makes me wonder how much disruption the DRM reversal actually caused there. Presumably having to completely revise the whole policy framework of the console has had a cost in terms of diverting resources and could be one of the reasons they seem to be struggling to get on an even keel.

This.

Ricker

If they still didn't announce a release date in a couple of weeks,who knows,this might actually happen...they sure as hell wont announce it at the TGS lol...

Top Bottom