• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

MarionCB

So, we're not getting a chart now? Or any more details on this?
I'm so confused; as an Australian, I'd actually like to know how functional this thing is going to be.

EvB

That's genius. I'll spot people playing xbox with their windows open and yell "Xbox Off" from the streets. Way to piss people off :D

Hey, shit would also happen if while watching some stand-up through xbox the comedian start randomly shouting xbox off for the laughs ^^.

That would work with current kinect, mine often stop a movie because it misheard itself saying xbox stop,

The new kinect 'lip reads' players , so it knows if the command is coming from the user

Theonik

That's your interpretation for the quote, It might be true. but there are other interpretations
"We will launch in 13 geos" : 13 launch countries
"10 of those geos will support some voice features" : 10 will only support some features, the rest will support all the features.
"Xbox On, for instance, is only available in 5": maybe the other countries will have an alternative, for example the french will have "Xbox demarrer".
I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt but I could be wrong. We'll have to wait for those charts to confirm anything.
But they've already listed 5 countries that have all the features. If they have some voice in 10 and complete voice in 5 that's15. 2 more than there are actual countries. Math doesn't work out.
Edit: To clarify that's why, the original post itself mentions those 5 as a clarification to what some features entails for those 10 countries. If they had more than 10 they'd say so. The way he phrased it would make it sound worse if it weren't the case.

"10 of those geos will support some voice features" : 10 will only support some features, the rest will support all the features.
"Xbox On, for instance, is only available in 5": maybe the other countries will have an alternative, for example the french will have "Xbox demarrer".
I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt but I could be wrong.
I think you're almost certainly wrong. Here's a longer quote you excerpted:
Albert Penello said:
NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5
Note that he says the voice feature "Xbox on" won't be available. Your version that he just meant the specific English words "Xbox on" is highly unlikely. And just to be clear, if you are right, then the name of this thread is too optimistic. Only 3 countries would have full voice, not 5!

Given that Penello is not going to clarify the situation further himself; that the website note which started this thread has been simplified to remove the country list; and that the promised chart has to be worked up before it will be posted on an official site---well, none of that points to best-case-scenario news. Quite the opposite.

Chobel

But they've already listed 5 countries that have all the features. If they have some voice in 10 and complete voice in 5 that's15. 2 more than there are actual countries. Math doesn't work out.
Edit: To clarify that's why, the original post itself mentions those 5 as a clarification to what some features entails for those 10 countries. If they had more than 10 they'd say so. The way he phrased it would make it sound worse if it weren't the case.

I think you're almost certainly wrong. Here's a longer quote you excerpted:

Note that he says the voice feature "Xbox on" won't be available. Your version that he just meant the specific English words "Xbox on" is highly unlikely. And just to be clear, if you are right, then the name of this thread is too optimistic. Only 3 countries would have full voice, not 5!

Given that Penello is not going to clarify the situation further himself; that the website note which started this thread has been simplified to remove the country list; and that the promised chart has to be worked up before it will be posted on an official site---well, none of that points to best-case-scenario news. Quite the opposite.

Fair enough, you're both making better arguments than mine. But still hoping that's not the case.

onanie

It just looks like the localisation excuse for the xbone delay in some countries is a bit of a farce, since they look quite happy to do a half assed job of it in some "tier 1" countries.

It just looks like the localisation excuse for the xbone delay in some countries is a bit of a farce, since they look quite happy to do a half assed job of it in some "tier 1" countries.

So is this basically a confirmation that Tier 0 countries exist?

PJV3

I thought Albert had this sorted yesterday, the box is going to be covered in small print and flowcharts. They should have named it the Xbox caveat.

Just stick to the old fashioned method and release it where the product works.

ToyBroker

Banned
I thought Albert had this sorted yesterday, the box is going to be covered in small print and flowcharts. They should have named it the Xbox caveat.

Just stick to the old fashioned method and release it where the product works.

For real. It's pretty bad.

There's going to be a ton of returned controllers due to needing a god damn pre-manual just to buy the thing and bring it home.

HORRORSHØW

WTF? Are we seriously waiting for charts from Microsoft to help us understand how some of the XBO's features function? Wow.

Amir0x

Banned
Grimløck;79657409 said:
WTF? Are we seriously waiting for charts from Microsoft to help us understand how some of the XBO's features function? Wow.

We're waiting for charts to see which functionality is going to work where, yes :(

I notice that the text was changed to:
Microsoft said:
Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date.
Yeah, that seems to confirm my interpretation of Albert's math: 3 launch countries will have no voice commands at all. Otherwise the note should say "Some Xbox voice commands will not be available..."

Wow, this is weird. Microsoft didn't see it coming? Couldn't devote any more time to it? That seems remarkably inept for such a company.

Not to poke a dead horse but has the promised chart been posted yet somewhere?

Or has it been clarified when or where it will be?

Kinect functionality seems paramount to MS's focus of the X1

It'd be nice to know where and how all of it works

PJV3

Not to poke a dead horse but has the promised chart been posted yet somewhere?

Or has it been clarified when or where it will be?

Kinect functionality seems paramount to MS's focus of the X1

It'd be nice to know where and how all of it works

Albert mentioned yesterday that it wasn't up to him and that another department was dealing with it.

It sounds like a work in progress, and will be dealt with closer to launch.

EvB

In response to the OP
Want to know something interesting

Australia
New Zealand
Ireland

Don't have Bing voice search functionality right now on the 360.

Albert mentioned yesterday that it wasn't up to him and that another department was dealing with it.

It sounds like a work in progress, and will be dealt with closer to launch.

Yeah just found that

Oy. On this one, as I said, it was up to the Marketing department. I always have to say this - I work on the engineering team under Whitten. The marketing team was working on getting that chart done and put on Xbox.com. I have nothing to do with it - nor any control over it, unfortunately.

Hope it will be out soon

Top Bottom