• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 seems to take one step forward, two steps back (RPS impressions inside)

MormaPope

Banned
untitled-111hkui2.gif

ibxCy8WPLFUQSH.gif

Nah, fuck this game guys! I want a game that makes me feel bored and feel agony in a whole new way.

But really, Far Cry 3 has been looking fantastic and fun, but for some reason people want another overly ambitious game that under delivers in most of it's aspects.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
LTTP, but did the OP really call Far Cry 2 one of his favorite FPSes? I mean, I respect opinions and everything, but that's one that just boggles my mind.

Most polarizing game of this gen, if you ask me. I and many others absolutely love it. Others call it hot garbage, terribad, and the worst game of the gen. Truly crazy.

I hope they don't neuter FC3 too much...there's gotta be a pleasant middle ground.

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh I forgot about those little enemy indicators, hopefully they can be turned off unlike in Splinter Cell Conviction. Damn this game has too many dumbed down elements.

Thrakier

How anyone can feel so strong about FC2 in a POSITIVE way is beyond me. Game was super boring, it was like an even more boring version of STAKLER.

sp3000

I think FC2 is the only game that has been totally made garbage by one design decision to have respawning checkpoints

I wish we saw another game like Far Cry 1 that had huge, open levels but a linear campaign. An open world just doesnt work for this sort of game

Dyno

Jetskiing into the sunset is why I'm buying this game. That and an AK as my sidekick who is always mouthing off to the locals. He's such a cad!

Hypron

How anyone can feel so strong about FC2 in a POSITIVE way is beyond me. Game was super boring, it was like an even more boring version of STAKLER.

Please, don't even compare STALKER and Far Cry 2. STALKER is on a whole other level of existence. It's the best open world FPS of all time.

Dennis

Banned

For a moment there I thought you were calling S.T.A.L.K.E.R. boring so naturally I got concerned for your mental health.

But now I see that you were talking about STAKLER.

Rufus

Please, don't even compare STALKER and Far Cry 2. STALKER is on a whole other level of existence. It's the best open world FPS of all time.
There's more to do, but on the whole I found them very similar, outside of Stalker being more scary. I don't see why the comparison is outrageous.

Thrakier

I don't care, I was bored kinda the same way. I played the modded and upgraded version. If the AI in the original is even worse...wow.

Krabboss

Using animals tactically that can also backfire on you.

ibxCy8WPLFUQSH.gif

dat homogenised FPS

I mean, if all the talk about emergent gameplay/situations from previews is smoke and mirrors, I'm more than willing to eat crow.

You seriously don't think it will be smoke and mirrors? After all the promises of Far Cry 2?

You really think these animals won't be equivalent to red barrels? That they're going to add a ton of depth to Far Cry 3's gameplay?

Uhh, dude...

MormaPope

Banned
You seriously don't think it will be smoke and mirrors? After all the promises of Far Cry 2?

You really think these animals won't be equivalent to red barrels? That they're going to add a ton to the depth of Far Cry 3's gameplay?

Uhh, dude...

The animals are also out in the wilderness, as are enemies and outposts.

Zeliard

Heh, don't remind me.

I'm pretty fond of Far Cry 2 overall but the distinction between the actual game and the stuff the devs said leading up to release was truly staggering even by typical dev hype standards.

Raptomex

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 but I had my gripes. Degradable weapons was just...annoying to me. And the fact that you had to drive in first person also bothered me. Other than that I thought it was an awesome game. Makes you feel like Rambo.

I'm just happy we're getting another Far Cry game. Hopefully it will be good in its own different way but I don't expect it to be as amazing and non traditional as 2 was. Some changes seem to be made for the better (no more respawning checkpoints), some seem like they're for the worse (annoying talky character, overly scripted sequences). We'll just have to see.

Rufus

Heh, don't remind me.

I'm pretty fond of Far Cry 2 overall but the distinction between the actual game and the stuff the devs said leading up to release was truly staggering even by typical dev hype standards.
I guess it helped my impression of the game that I only played it long after release, haha. I vaguely remember something about being able to kill the Jackal by starting a fire that eventually spreads to him. While that's neat, I can see why they scaled that down.

Constant medication, re-spawning and numerous enemies aside all the other removed things kind of sadden me :(. I love an empty(or nearly empty) HUD

SJRB

Gold Member
Best thing is just to release a 15-minute uncut gameplay segment. I mean, all these trailers are spiffy but as this thread shows a lot of people are a bit sceptical.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Far Cry 2 was maddening as fuck, yet so awesome and ballsy that I was willing to forgive its transgressions. I'm not getting the same feeling from this RPS writeup on FC3.

commissar

I love an empty(or nearly empty) HUD
Yep. FC3 looks disappointingly gamey in that respect.

Also the last video about the tribe basically scuppered all my hopes about the characters or story being worth anything.

Unless the co-op is the greatest thing since *example* this game is looking like a $10 (mayybe $20) purchase for me :/

You really think these animals won't be equivalent to red barrels? That they're going to add a ton of depth to Far Cry 3's gameplay?

Uhh, dude...

It's not just the animals (which aren't only in cages, that's part of a sidequest) where some tester baited a cheetah into a camp and just sat back to see it unfold, but other stuff like the fire causing crazy stuff to happen or your warrior buddies at war with the enemies.

Far Cry 2 was maddening as fuck, yet so awesome and ballsy that I was willing to forgive its transgressions. I'm not getting the same feeling from this RPS writeup on FC3.

I recently started a new game of Far Cry 2 after having completed it about 24 hours the first time through. I've since put another 20 hours on it. The game is much like you describe.

Really, gamers should love it more for what it does and tries to do. It is the anti Call of Duty. It is open, unscripted, emergent, has non regen health, hard as hell, and incredibly flexible. It also has great mechanics with breakable/jamming weapons, malaria, fire propogation, and the buddy system.

People complain about Snipers who can see forever. The player with a sniper rifle can see forever, the AI has the same damn advantage as you do. Stealth isn't useless either. If you are a good player you can sneak around and stealth kill dudes.

The only negative I've experienced going through it a second time was the respawsn of guard posts which seemed more aggresive this time around.

I hope Far Cry 3 is as good as 2 was.

koryuken

I also got bored of Farcry 2 fairly quickly, but I respect them for trying a lot of new things... I did get super bored of killing generic enemies with rusty AK47's over and over.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I hope Far Cry 3 is as good as 2 was.

I've played around 40 hours of FC2 and I'm not seeing why it shouldn't. Gun jamming wasn't the defining mechanic, leave it in or take it out - it doesn't matter. Ubi would show only "tasty" pieces of the game to the press, i.e. gamey ones. The main quest could use more linearity, nothing is wrong with that.

Also is the protagonist black? It's pretty rare by today's standards. They should give him some military background though.

I was expecting a major dissapointemt after seeing the title....but then I started reading and thinking...

Let me tell you something:

- Saying how in Far Cry 2 you enjoy feeling threatened all the time...
It's not really the problem of feeling threatened. I love feeling danger around me. Let me fight for my survival (something STALKER does RIGHT). Make it hard for me! Sure. Threats, lots of them! See, but the problem with Far Cry 2 is that you are threatened ALL THE TIME.
You couldn't drive a mile down the road without a militia truck ramming you in the ass. And these motherf***** spawn out of nowhere, so there's really no approach to it except either making a break for it or painfully taking out every vehicle and soldier crossing your path, e v e r y t i m e you try driving around the country.

Another FC2 goldie:

See a bridge? "Cool" you think. Nope - AMBUSH.
See a little village? "Cool" you think. AMBUSH
See a crossroad? "Cool" you think. AMBUSH

"All right" you say, "I'll clear this outpost and mark it (you know after you've cleared an outpost and found the "goodies" it's "marked" and you might think you're done with this shit)
WRONG!
You can't clear out an area in Far Cry 2. This is the land of the undead. Making the characters into zombies would at least make it feel more realistic.

So you have to deal with the same stupid outposts every fucking time. It doesn't matter if you are trying to sneak past them. No sir. BUSTED! Not even at night. BUSTED! My guess is that your character has a big neon sign "SHOOT ME" hanging over his head. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

Fine I say, then there must be a really cool reward waiting for me after going through the same shit over and over again....there really isn't. The side quests are so absurdly bad (even the main quest for that matter) that the "reward" couldn't possibly outweigh all the frustration (if a few diamonds is what you call a reward)
For that matter, did we even need lots of diamonds in the first place?! I don't think so since I didn't do much sidequesting and I could pretty much buy anything I wanted.

The developers gave yet another pointless chore to do. "Hey, why don't you go look for some more diamonds! We've hidden them all across Africa in black suitcases. We made sure not to put too many in each, just 1 or 2, so you don't get too many too fast. Gotta catch them all!" YAAAAAY !!! Chores chores chores!!!

Don't even get me started on the malaria mini game...that was purely an utter annoyance which, on more than one occassion, dettered you from progressing in the game. You had to drive ALL THE WAY BACK TO TOWN to get those stupid pills. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! Every time you had to do the super duper SIDE QUEST to "earn" the drugs. You HAD to waste another 20 minutes of gaming every time you ran out of meds, just so you were forced to do go kill some more thugs at some random house in the savana (coupled with all the outposts and militia trucks up your ass on your way).

But here's the worst part (for me):
- The game was EMPTY
I'm not talking about the map. The map is GREAT, GORGEOUS. You've got all this scenery, all these places, but that's it. They are just places. Nothing more.
There's nothing to do in Far Cry 2 except driving from point A to B and killing XY number of people.
I still remember that quest about some king or whatever he was who was stationed at some castle near the dessert. What a cool location! What a cool setting. What a waste.
You take out the 2 or 3 guards at the top with your sniper rifle, then storm the place. The door was opened, barely any guards, there's no excitemet since the whole castle hardly reacts to your murderous rampage. It's like you just walked in on those dudes having a stoner's convention. The whole ordeal didn't last more than a few minutes. A WHOLE FREAKIN' CASTLE IN THE DESSTER!
Then it's back to the tedious and exhausting adventures of outposts and militia trucks.

The game has so many unique areas which are sadly almost completely neglected. You spend 3/4 of the game wasting your time with the most boring set of activities.
Such a shame.

I felt like the developers made this great sandbox and were just about to put some toys in there..... They didn't. All we were left with was a sandbox.

That said, I'm more optimistic about Far Cry 3 ! If they dropped all those side questing and choring from Far Cry 2, I'll be happy to purchase the sequel.

I also hope the lesson's been learned and we'll get a full game this time around.

Exact same feelings I have about FC2.

Obviously I know exactly what most of GAF thinks about FC2 and the knee-jerk reactions this thread would get, I just don't give a shit because all I want is for Far Cry 3 to be a sequel to Far Cry 2. The rest of the world can have their skinning minigames and XP popups if I can just have that, but it seems like I can't.

FC2 wasn't close to the original Far Cry. So why would 3 be similar to 2?

Jason Brody seems like your typical Nathan Drake — an "everyman" tossed into an extremely dangerous situation who just happens to prove instantly expert at escaping and delivering death through each new setpiece. In fact, in today's fine broth of homogeneity, I'm actually a bit surprised he's not voiced by Nolan North himself.

Except Nathan Drake isn't an"Everyman". He is a professional thief and has been hanging out with shady characters and doing shady crap since he was a child.

I was very late to the Stalker party but I was late to witcher and fell in love with it. After playing the game in stalker and realizing that shooting a guy in the head didn't kill them, pretty much killed the experience for me.

Rufus

Also is the protagonist black? It's pretty rare by today's standards. They should give him some military background though.
If so he has some very pale hands. I think you're thinking of the (friendly?) native faction that also fights the pirates.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I was very late to the Stalker party but I was late to witcher and fell in love with it. After playing the game in stalker and realizing that shooting a guy in the head didn't kill them, pretty much killed the experience for me.

hm.... I haven't experienced it. Unless he wears a helmet all bandits go down pretty fast.

Pimpbaa

FC2 was goddamn terrible. Did not enjoy it at all (for the reasons already stated in this thread). The changes in FC3 sound great.

Plenty of gameplay floating around. A mission with hang gliding, diving and riding a jet ski. Character models look great and the world is gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-t9j3ReWcY

I will love spending hours in this world.

5:43 OH WOW

Stealth was bad in FC 2, but looks like they've added things to support that style. Being able to drag bodies and throw rocks as distraction, bow and arrows, knife, hmm might actually go for a stealth playthrough even if won't be as complete as Dishonored.

Derrick01

Banned
Best thing is just to release a 15-minute uncut gameplay segment. I mean, all these trailers are spiffy but as this thread shows a lot of people are a bit sceptical.

They've released a lot of gameplay. The things I'm worried about are hard to find in short bursts of gameplay though. I'm buying the game most likely so I'll find out then.

ironcreed said:
You talking about how he stabbed one guy and threw the blade into another? Badass move indeed

I remember hearing that's an ability you unlock with XP. As eye roll inducing as that is it is a badass move.

ironcreed

Banned
I remember hearing that's an ability you unlock with XP. As eye roll inducing as that is it is a badass move.

At least it provides a sense of progression and learning things, though. Another thing you may have noticed in that gameplay is that enemy markers do not appear until you mark them with your scope. I suppose you could avoid doing that if you want.

DocSeuss

Bloody hell, the hate that FC2 is getting is bizarre. One of my favourite games this gen, because you know, reality is and Africa in particular is dangerous and frustrating.

EDIT: Wow, okay, that was a lot longer than I'd anticipated, and what is intended as a chiding tone might sound a bit more aggressive than I mean. Apologies if that's the case. I just want to express an alternative point of view while expressing the great frustration I feel that a game I so very much love is being hated on because it was so deeply misunderstood. Imagine if Dark Souls got turned into a cover-based FPS and you might understand how I'm feeling right now.

I'm genuinely baffled by some of the comments about Far Cry 2 here. I knew it was a game that was easy to play incorrectly, but wow.

Most of the game's faults happened as a result of it trying to be a game. It needed to go all the way with simulation mechanics--because those would have fixed, for instance, the respawn areas, every NPC being out to get you, and stuff like that. At the same time, it failed to communicate just how open it really was; by reading these complaints, it sounds like a lot of people constrained themselves to behaviors learned in other video games, and they were incapable of treating Far Cry 2's Africa like a real space, much less respecting it as one, which hurt their experience a lot.

Still, Far Cry 2 was a superb game. Yes, the checkpoints had fast respawn times, but these weren't an issue at all if you accepted the world as a real world, rather than a game, and stopped trying to play it like every other shooter out there (because it's NOT every other shooter out there), you'd actually have fun with it.

Using all the tools provided--buses, cars, and boats (especially boats), meant that you didn't come across checkpoints all that often, which, in turn, solved all the complaints. Stop using cars all the damn time, and most of your complaints get solved right away. People are talking about cars showing up "every thirty seconds." Bullshit. Cars showed up, but not nearly that often, and a wise use of buses and boats would have helped balance that out.

Look at your gun--notice if it starts getting rusty--and replace it. Pay attention to the game. Malaria showed up once every couple of hours in my playthrough, and I was rarely in a position when it proved to be a problem. You know what, though? In the times it did, I often had a buddy from that awesome-ass buddy system to help me out of the mess, creating a more emergent, interesting experience.

A friend of mine once complained to me that Gears of War 3 wasn't interesting, because the Lancer was the most efficient weapon in the game, so he'd just use that and play the game with one gun all the way through. His absurd sense of efficiency destroyed his ability to have any fun. He never tried to test the game--to see what it could do.

Most of you, from the looks of things, didn't deserve Far Cry 2, because you sure as hell didn't understand it. Your responses read to me like people who hated Dark Souls because they weren't willing to give it the respect it deserved. Where Far Cry 2 says "hey, here's all these things you can have! Go wild!" most of the complaints I'm hearing indicate to me that you guys... well, you didn't.

It almost sounds like, secretly, you all just wanted a linear, corridor shooter that told you what to do.

God, complaints born from ignorance are depressing.

Maybe if Far Cry 2 had led you by the hand, or maybe if you'd been more open to what it was offering, you would have understood just how fucking incredible of a game it was, because it's not near as broken as you seem to think. It was an uncut diamond, which is a helluva lot more valuable than a polished-up, nicely cut bit of glass.

Far Cry 3 should be an improved version of Far Cry 2. The rust system should slow down a bit, the Buddy system should have characters that actually feel like people, the quest system could stand to have better things, ally or neutral NPCs should inhabit the world, checkpoints should respawn more slowly (iirc it's 20 minutes in Far Cry 2) and the game should rely a lot more on AI simulation, with better AI and a focus on enabling players to sneak around. Gamified bits, like all stores functioning the same, or all hideouts being basically identical, should be changed so that they feel like real locations. Far Cry 3 should feel even more like a real world that players can do anything with than Far Cry 2.

Instead, we've just got an open-world FPS with XP systems. At least it does feel a bit stealthier, I guess, and it looks pretty. Some of those missions look awfully on-rails, though--where's the focus on improvisation and immersive simulation that the previous game did so well? :\

sp3000

Crysis is the best FPS ever while STALKER is the second best.

Yep. I would add FEAR to that list if you include 2005 as this generation. Not surprisingly they were all developed for the PC first.

Although Bulletstorm is number 3 just because of the unique mechanics it had.

FC3 just looks like another open world FPS game with XP bonuses

sixghost

This sounds fantastic to me. A dramatic improvement on the god awful Far Cry 2.

Others have summed it up above, but I just found the entire game frustrating and tiresome.

You really were under CONSTANT threat and it WAS NOT fun. It wasn't the kind of threat you could hide from either. Enemies would constantly spawn out of thin air and surround you. That game made damn sure that you could NEVER enjoy the environment or actually spend time exploring. There was no ebb or flow to the experience. You could never make any progress either as everything would respawn every single time you passed through. The game state existed only in a small bubble around the player and everything outside that bubble would reset to its default state almost immediately.

Furthermore, the environment itself sucked. Half the map was made up of artificial corridors boxed in by rock walls. You could not climb to the top of any rock structures. You were locked into their series of paths and roads. It was a terrible open world.

The game was also devoid of purpose and character. There was nothing unique about any mission ever. Everything took place in the same environments without anything unique or remarkable about the missions themselves. There was no care put into enemy placement or mission design. It was all based on systems. Furthermore, there was no narrative or characters to drive the game forward. Absolutely nothing.

Thus far, this new game seems to show that the world itself is much less constrained while the action is more evenly paced. Mixing this somewhat open world with more refined mechanics of other modern shooters certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. It seems like an infinitely more interesting and better paced experience all around. This article actually served to build my excitement quite a bit as everything he complains about is exactly what I wanted over Far Cry 2.
It's like you didn't even play the same game as me. Were you doing nothing but driving down the roads? I spent tons of time wandering through the jungle or plains without fighting anything. FC2 had as much combat as you wanted. If you stayed off the road and took some time to map out your route so that you stayed away from checkpoints, you were fine. My favorite part of the game was working my way across the plains by finding a tall hill, scouting ahead with the sniper rifle, and trying to avoid as many enemies as I could.
The enemies were predictably placed (due to respawns) but, more importantly, their reactions were too simple. There was no sense of hunting or being hunted by the AI. If AI were present in the scene chances are every single one of them always knew exactly where you were at all times.

Again, I had a completely different experience than this. I mostly played with the sniper rifle, and I was always hiding from the AI after picking off a few of them. If you could distract them by starting a fire, or by breaking line of sight, it was easy to lose the AI. I actually thought it was great how the AI would start searching for you once you hid. Timing your missions to occur at night helped too.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Except Nathan Drake isn't an"Everyman".

He was designed as an everyman, with the entire marketing push behind Uncharted 1 focusing on Drake being an everyman. The back of the box literally says "One ordinary man... one extraordinary adventure."

Dead Man

reading the article in OP they got rid of

malaria
guns jaming
respawning ennemies at outposts
constant ennemies spawning everywhere
bad fuckin story
bland characters

man, what a shame they took the features that made farcry 2 great. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it sounds like they added a whole new level of shittiness to make up for it.

Top Bottom