• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen much of the game, but after Revelations I just assumed RE6 would be awesome. I'll wait until the game is out before judging it, though from what I've heard they've shown a lot of it, so maybe the naysayers are right.

Well, Revelations was a couple of steps in the right directions so I'm also disappointed that RE6 goes a dozen of steps backwards again. The parts with Chris are basically some generic military shooter, killing terrorists and blasting through towns with tanks and auto-heal. Then there's Leon, where Zombies can be found but it's basically another Uncharted clone.
I assume more than enough of these games will eventually hit the system, so one is better off with an original Capcom game that at least has some kind of chance to be somehow unique and decent.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think Zombie U will show Capcom how a resident evil might be done on the Wii U. Imagine puzzle solving in real time as zombies are at the door using the tablet as a second game screen to solve puzzles on the fly while teeing off on some undead.

Plenty of other games have shown Capcom how it should be done but they don't care. They're making silly B-movie action fare with a horror theme. The tension, survival and loneliness aspect of the beloved early games is completely gone and we only ever see short glimpses of it in RE4, Revelations and maybe RE6 (I'm not even mentioning that 5 minute thing with the lickers in RE5...).

The thing that gets me after watching the new Last of Us gameplay walkthrough, the argument that with the new tech that the next line of consoles will usher in a new era of complexity to scenes and animations and physics and the fallacy of that argument just hit me hard. Even with all the new technical bells and whistles, even with all the streamlining that engines like UE4 will provide, talent will still be the deciding factor as to what can be done with an engine/game.
That's what gets on my nerves whenever people argue for new hardware, as if all those dull uncreative developers would suddenly become talented and creative, as if they were bound by tech instead of their own capabilities/budget.

I can count the games where you could feel that the dev. vision was held back severly by the hardware this gen on one hand. (lot more on Wii for sure)

Now it's true that you can't measure everyone to the standards of Teams like Naughty Dog or Retro or EAD1, but realistically speaking, the average game won't suddenly become anywhere near as ambitious or sophisticated as The Last of Us. There is no "Last of Us-it" Button that does the work for you.

It's like with Photoshop. Sure you have more options with CS6, but it doesn't make bad designers suddenly better. It just gives them more filters and flare effects.

Hoodbury

Also, no way Lego City isn't this year. A Lego game would be a killer for the Holiday season, and Lord of the Rings won't be on WiiU
What makes you say Lord of the Rings lego won't be on Wii-U? Is that just your personal hunch or are you saying it as if you know something?

Hey Gaf I was wondering what would be the best bang for my buck:
Option 1) Buy a Wii-U and be able to play Pikmin, Smash Brawl, and the latest supposedly amazing rpgs like Xenoblades and Last story
Option 2) Buy a Vita and play all the awesome psp rpgs for it including the new persona coming out soon

In the long run which do you think will have more fun and good games coming up in the *new*generation? Which one is more worth it?

Option 1) Buy a Wii-U and be able to play Pikmin, Smash Brawl, and the latest supposedly amazing rpgs like Xenoblades and Last story
Option 2) Buy a Vita and play all the awesome psp rpgs for it including the new persona coming out soon

In the long run which do you think will have more fun and good games coming up in the *new*generation? Which one is more worth it?

I'd say both honestly.

D-e-f-

Banned

You're asking that here? :)

I'd say get a cheap PSP because then you can take advantage of heavily discounted or used UMD games. Which in turn allows you to get a Wii U as well. Then get a Vita later next year when there are finally some games and the eventual price drop happened.

Lyude77

I vote get the Wii U first, and then wait for a vita price drop if you want to do that one. I know Sony say it isn't coming, but I think it'll happen before a Wii U price drop.

Sorry, I'm probably biased. I'm gonna follow my own advice, though. Hm...getting a regular PSP is prolly a good idea too.

TunaLover

It's up to you really, Xenoblade is no brainer you must play it somehow, Wii U should get a handful of RPGs too (including one from Monolith Software), DQX still not announced for US release but maybe we got lucky.

I'm not well aware of Vita lineup, it has some interesting Japanese niche games, but those being so niche not always make to an overseas release. PSP games on Vita is a plus too.

Stewox

Banned
I would get a WiiU early just to pry open it up and see what's inside. Ofcourse If I win a lottery ticket before it gets out.

Most games in Q1 2013 started dev long before devs even knew of Wii Us existence. Wich is the reason for the lack of ports of the Q1 2013 games. You can´t just easily squeeze a completely new system into a tight dev scheudle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo exclusive IPs/content versus SCE exclusive IPs/content. Whichever you prefer, with the added factor of portable versus console, is the one you choose. Neither have a secure future when it comes to a consistent flow of high quality titles and third party support, but all will have good games. It's a matter of preference and that is a decision nobody can make but you.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo exclusive IPs/content versus SCE exclusive IPs/content. Whichever you prefer, with the added factor of portable versus console, is the one you choose. Neither have a secure future when it comes to a consistent flow of high quality titles and third party support, but all will have good games. It's a matter of preference and that is a decision nobody can make but you.

Words to live by.

RedSwirl

Why would you want it though? It looks even more insulting than 5. It'd be good news if they actually made an original game in the vein of Revelations. Shit, even some enhanced port of that would be more uplifting than 6.

Yeah but a Revelations followup on a console would require a production budget similar to RE6.

andthebeatgoeson

Why would you want it though? It looks even more insulting than 5. It'd be good news if they actually made an original game in the vein of Revelations. Shit, even some enhanced port of that would be more uplifting than 6.

It's a major sequel to a good game? We don't have the final word but ports of good to great games should be expected. I'm not happy with 3rd party sentiments. Even tho I have a gaming PC, I was hoping for more 3rd party ports. Why? My first experience with GFWL. Enough to push anyone away from some PC games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

True. I must confess though that I always loved the Nintendo games on my SNES, N64 and Gamecube. I really stopped getting the lovely Nintendo vibe on Wii. I just didn't like the interface. Pointing at the screen or tilting the controller introduced a disconnect for me that I couldn't overcome. It somehow cheapened the experience.

I'm hoping to regain a lot of that love with WiiU using a more traditional controller.

OryoN

That's what gets on my nerves whenever people argue for new hardware, as if all those dull uncreative developers would suddenly become talented and creative, as if they were bound by tech instead of their own capabilities/budget.

They've been begging for more power prior to this gen, and all the majority of them were able to create was bald space-marines, plastic, shades of grey/brown, and more plastic. I can already imagine next-gen; droves of games with lots of flare and no substance, tons of scripted set pieces and even less interactivity. It's makes me sick to see this is what trends. So much so that many some of our cherished series are abandoning - weather gradually or drastically - the very aspects you loved about them (*cough* Resident Evil 6 *cough*).

To add to your point; I look at Last Of Us and as good as it looks, it doesn't strike me as a technical marvel(I'm sure it is in some ways). The game shines more through it's art, level design and attention to detail in ways that games like Metroid Prime did back in the day. What Naughty Dog has achieved with the AI; the way the characters/enemies react to their environment or a situation is just astounding and goes beyond just simply throwing FLOPs at the equation. This goes back to your point. This game, as least thus far, is the result of an extremely devoted effort from guys dedicated to their craft. More of this, please!

They've been begging for more power prior to this gen, and all the majority of them were able to create was bald space-marines, plastic, shades of grey/brown, and more plastic.

That shiny plastic effect plaster over everything this gen has got right on my tits.

Banned
I will admit that Sony has impressed me this gen with their new and existing IP library. They're closing the gap with nintendo in my view. God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Resistance, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, Gravity Rush, Beyond, Heavy Rain, PS-All Stars, Ratchet & Clank. Only three of those ip existed before the PS3/Vita.

While I love Nintendo IP's, they are losing the battle of creating new ones that appeal to mainstream gamers. Reviving old ones like Kid Icarus is great, how about Ice Climbers and new ones? The Wii branded games are all new but their audience wasn't targeting gaming enthusiast like sony's new IP's are.

I like both and will most likely buy a Wii U and PS4 slim (the slim models are always better looking and cheaper :p)

They've been begging for more power prior to this gen, and all the majority of them were able to create was bald space-marines, plastic, shades of grey/brown, and more plastic. I can already imagine next-gen; droves of games with lots of flare and no substance, tons of scripted set pieces and even less interactivity. It's makes me sick to see this is what trends. So much so that many some of our cherished series are abandoning - weather gradually or drastically - the very aspects you loved about them (*cough* Resident Evil 6 *cough*).

To add to your point; I look at Last Of Us and as good as it looks, it doesn't strike me as a technical marvel(I'm sure it is in some ways). The game shines more through it's art, level design and attention to detail in ways that games like Metroid Prime did back in the day. What Naughty Dog has achieved with the AI; the way the characters/enemies react to their environment or a situation is just astounding and goes beyond just simply throwing FLOPs at the equation. This goes back to your point. This game, as least thus far, is the result of an extremely devoted effort from guys dedicated to their craft. More of this, please!

Ah yeah, the bald space marine, the result of not wanting to invest time or effort into rendering hair, but rather have more explosions and more shiny surfaces.

I understand when people are expecting the top teams to really go to town with better hardware, but honestly I expect most games to just implement all these new bells and whistles with no regard to how gameplay might be affected by it, and I for one am not looking forward to more uncreative monotony but now with more scene complexity, and sparks and physics calculations that do nothing except looking good.

One does not have to be a cynic to see that the gaming industry is at a creative standstill, and it's certainly not because the outdated hardware. But when you have PR tell you that they need better hardware for innovation then it's plain clear that by innovation they mean graphics. Ah yeah, but what about immersion? Well immersion to me is just the same hollow PR tag like "visceral" "epic" "value" "mature" "social" "service" etc.

adroit

Wait so what time on the 13th is this Nintendo conference happening at?
The conference starts at 10 am EDT (New York). Source:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/21/nintendo-hosting-wii-u-press-event-in-september

I've read on this forum (NeoGAF) that media check-in starts an hour before that.

Below is a link to a countdown. You can click "Times worldwide" on the bar below the countdown to see a page of the corresponding times around the world.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20120913T10&p0=179&msg=Nintendo+NYC&csz=1

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For most issues of creative bankruptcy I put the blame squarely on publishers, not the developers/creative minds working on a project. The people only interested in ballooning revenue and appeasing shareholders are the ones focus testing projects into the ground and forcing studios to play it safe.

I'm happy about Mario U and Land GI news!
I think that N did a mistake entering the "ninja mode" after E3, not revealing any additional info and not releasing any new video about their games.
I'm day after day more convinced that tha launch window has various interesting titles but they are managing in the wrong way the promotion and the communication (both keeping secret the 2013 titles in development without any trailer or teaser and letting us look at launch titles just with E3 limited demoes)

I disagree. The 'Ninja Mode' combined with the information released yesterday has created a great deal of hype just a week away from the conference on the 13th...particularly the news of NSMB U having Super Mario World influences.

This, combined with the Metroid Blast news, is going to keep hype levels up until the 13th when the hype levels will be train worthy until launch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I disagree. The 'Ninja Mode' combined with the information released yesterday has created a great deal of hype just a week away from the conference on the 13th...particularly the news of NSMB U having Super Mario World influences.

This, combined with the Metroid Blast news, is going to keep hype levels up until the 13th when the hype levels will be train worthy until launch.
I'm with you on that, the Ninja mode will now make every piece of new information discussed about, and build hype until the console launches in few weeks. Had we known everything to know in June, the hype may have died down.

My own inclination is to way Wii U. I really wanted to buy a Vita, but the fact is that PSP games can only be played on it through digital means. It doesn't read UMD disks. The system would have been a guaranteed buy for me if it did. Alas...

test_account

XP-39C²
Most games in Q1 2013 started dev long before devs even knew of Wii Us existence. Wich is the reason for the lack of ports of the Q1 2013 games. You can´t just easily squeeze a completely new system into a tight dev scheudle.
What about Darksiders 2, Black Ops 2, Assassins Creed 3 and Aliens Colonial Marines?

What about Darksiders 2, Black Ops 2, Assassins Creed 3 and Aliens Colonial Marines?

Those devs got dev kits in January 2011 (When the first kits got released to selected devs).

I don´t know how long it took to get a kit to all devs but it propably took them until after E3 11. Not every dev gets an early kit either and final or at least mass producable kits were released weeks before E3 12.

AC3 is just barely making it to launch btw... Wich is also the reason Ubisoft themselves gave why the version "just" looks identical to xbox360/PS3

EatChildren

Something else I wanted to note, from awhile ago when that French retailer claimed the Wii U would retail at €349, is that would be the equivilent of ~AU$450 ($429 technically, but round up because local prices are a nightmare).

AU$450 would be pretty crazy in my opinion, even if bundled with goodies. It's simply too high, regardless of being marketed as a 'next generation console' or whatever. A 4GB Xbox 360 can be picked up for half that price.

Stewox

Banned
Those devs got dev kits in January 2011 (When the first kits got released to selected devs).

I don´t know how long it took to get a kit to all devs but it propably took them until after E3 11. Not every dev gets an early kit either and final or at least mass producable kits were released weeks before E3 12.

AC3 is just barely making it to launch btw... Wich is also the reason Ubisoft themselves gave why the version "just" looks identical to xbox360/PS3

Not sure if any 3rd party devs got the earliest one, that was only Retro Studios, the only WiiU devkit on US soil.

Something else I wanted to note, from awhile ago when that French retailer claimed the Wii U would retail at €349, is that would be the equivilent of ~AU$450 ($429 technically, but round up because local prices are a nightmare).

AU$450 would be pretty crazy in my opinion, even if bundled with goodies. It's simply too high, regardless of being marketed as a 'next generation console' or whatever. A 4GB Xbox 360 can be picked up for half that price.
I really want to believe that number is false. I take my wife to be a member of the "casual audience" Nintendo wants to grab in that she loves to play games, but plays them infrequently, and if she has to go without games she's fine with doing something else instead. When I mentioned getting a launch Wii U she said "Awesome! How much will it cost? Probably around $250?" I laughed and told her that rumors are anywhere from $300 to $450 at this point, and almost no one is expecting $250. Her reaction to that told me what Nintendo needs to know: casual audiences are not going to spend more than $300 on this thing no matter how good it is. Especially in the west, with our struggling economy.

magash

I think that might be the price for the most expensive SKU. After the whole 3DS launch issue with pricing I don't see Nintendo launching the Wii U at such a high price

For most issues of creative bankruptcy I put the blame squarely on publishers, not the developers/creative minds working on a project. The people only interested in ballooning revenue and appeasing shareholders are the ones focus testing projects into the ground and forcing studios to play it safe.

I dunno. Developers have a financial stake in games selling well, too.

I doubt West and Zampella were particularly concerned that they would be making Call of Duty forever, they just wanted to be making the most money from making Call of Duty forever.

IF the Wii U does manage to launch at $249 with a Wii U Pad included a full two years before the competitors. It will succeed among casual gamers atleast. More so, they can get the price below $199 before the 720 or PS4 launch.

Anything higher than $249 and I don't see it appealing to the same casuals that the Wii appealed to.

EatChildren

Expensive SKU I could stomach. There definitely needs to be vanilla options lower. AU$450 is market suicide.

I really want to believe that number is false. I take my wife to be a member of the "casual audience" Nintendo wants to grab in that she loves to play games, but plays them infrequently, and if she has to go without games she's fine with doing something else instead. When I mentioned getting a launch Wii U she said "Awesome! How much will it cost? Probably around $250?" I laughed and told her that rumors are anywhere from $300 to $450 at this point, and almost no one is expecting $250. Her reaction to that told me what Nintendo needs to know: casual audiences are not going to spend more than $300 on this thing no matter how good it is. Especially in the west, with our struggling economy.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's a poor entry price over the Christmas period, especially when 360s and PS3s usually drop in price or get decent bundles. You can call a next generation console whatever you want, but when it launches with a crop of current generation games, a smaller library, and a price tag $150+ higher nobody is going to want it except for the usual enthusiasts.

I dunno. Developers have a financial stake in games selling well, too.

I doubt West and Zampella were particularly concerned that they would be making Call of Duty forever, they just wanted to be making the most money from making Call of Duty forever.

Well I didn't say all developers :p. You just hear it all the time, how projects are turned down, changed or scaled back to suit the suits. Then, low and behold, the more interesting, creative stuff comes from indy devs and studios with stronger control over their projects.

Hiltz

I doubt Ubisoft would use its resources to push Wii U's hardware to make AC3's graphics look noticably better even if it had the time to do it.

EatChildren

Doesn't Australia pay like $90 a game and $600 for a PS3 still? I recall someone saying that the PS3 launched at over a grand there.

Depends where you shop. Games usually RRP for something like $90, and EB always go RRP unless you price match. Places like JB HiFi offer better day one prices, ranging from $69 to $89 depending on how generous they're feeling. Overall, prices are high.

You can score a vanilla 360 4GB for $239, and the 250GB with both Halo: Reach and Fable 3 for $398. The PS3 did indeed retail for ~AU$1000 when it came out, and as expected tanked like fuck. A 160GB PS3 now costs ~$350, and a hundred or so more for the 320GB (that nobody with common sense buys). Christmas usually brings about pretty good deals too.

I doubt Ubisoft would use its resources to push Wii U's hardware to make AC3's graphics look noticably better even if it had the time to do it.

Well i only stated their official reason ;)

Ubisoft IMO would be the one of the few to actually use the additional power. Not saying they would though ;)

Stewox

Banned
And if there's anything non-tech important when buying the console as a gamer, being on the top of the list ... The big question is wether the colors will be SKU-exclusive.

That's quite a bit more worrying to me than price/release date. And if they are, it'll may force many of the core gamers and others too to choose the most expensive SKU.

Not saying it's a requirement, if there's black in existance then I'm definitely not going to get a white one even if it's a mistake (if i buy throuh local etailer) I would send it back to get me the right color.

I don't like the smell either, as an informed customer I never like such irrelevant things to influence money spent, but somehow you just can't help your self in some situations, color is such irrelevant from all other views, but black feels more non-childish especially when you get other non-gamer people in the house or whatever situation, not to say this is 100%, I am experienced of doing a good job to hide stuff good enough, not just physically.

I'm definitely not the kind of guy who talks about games in public (real-life, except if it's a old friend who always been a gamer), (if there wouldn't have been a black fine, I'm won't run with a controller in my hand down the street or whatever) pretty much nobody does around here, can't say the same for usa, somehow I have a strong feeling that many people there when you listen them you know on the first fly if he's a gamer or not.

test_account

XP-39C²

It is most likely a part of the reason, i agree to that, but i think that business decition also is one factor.

EuroMIX

I personally think that $300 sounds about right. According to Google that is £187 at the moment which probably means we'd get it for between £200-250. I've love the former, but expect closer the latter. Launching at £199, and staying at that for many, many years, without the need of a price cut would be incredible. Won't happen though.

I couldn't really say for Australia due to lack of knowledge of how the pricing and economy works.

Triton55

Cross-posting from the GameInformer thread:

I was re-watching the video of the Nintendo Land hub and I think I noticed a pattern with the logos for each series' game. The ones with many big spikes around them are the multi-player games while the ones without the big spikes are all single player. Based on this, Pikmin and Mario (almost definitely an update of the 2011 demo) will be multi-player while Yoshi and Game&Watch will be single-player. The only caveat here is that I think I read that there can be a second player for the F-Zero game using the GamePad for obstacle placement but I'd guess that's just an extra option.

Solo: DK, Takamaru, F-Zero, Balloon Trip, [Yoshi, Game&Watch]

Multi: Zelda, Metroid, Luigi, Animal Crossing, [Mario, Pikmin]

Half and half. Putting their big names behind the multiplayer I guess.

Not much, but it tells us which N-Land games we'll need to round up friends for (and possibly extra Wii remotes) and offers a little bit of a framework for speculation on the remaining games.

Remade mini Game&Watch collection with off-TV play?
A few Yoshi Touch & Go type levels?
Hungry Hungry Bulborbs?

Stewox

Banned
You will all pay MOAR if black color is default on the most expensive (hardcore) SKU.

MUHUHAHAHA dooom doom dooomed
VfB8S.jpg

You just won't be able to control the temptation. Admit it!

4 Days many, about time to make some GIFs.

EDIT:
-----------------------------------------------
..... edit after quite some time

Haha i was right - colors are SKU exclusive hah!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What makes you say Lord of the Rings lego won't be on Wii-U? Is that just your personal hunch or are you saying it as if you know something?

It's coming out on the regular Wii. If they had a WiiU specific version, it would have been announced already.

jmizzal

I could see them putting this out right after/right before Christmas to take advantage of the New Year's resolutions regarding fitness...

Also, I would guess that the first party publishing lineup would look something like:

- NSMBU - launch
- NintendoLand - launch
- NG3: Razor's Edge - launch
- Pikmin 3 - Dec 10th or 17th
- Wii Fit U - Dec 30th (Sunday after Christmas) or Jan 7th
- Lego City Undercover - Jan - Feb
- Sing Party - February
- Project P-100 - March

I can see this happening but I think they will put Wii Fit U out before Christmas, it wont compete directly with Pikmin 3 so I dont think they will mind them coming out close to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom