• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Are they frightened to innovate?

Look at it this way: if they wanted to introduce new IP on the same level (budget, production value, potentially long lasting impact), they'd have another huge risk on their hands. They're taking a lot of risks with the hardware and they seem to try and support themselves by sticking to their established properties to carry them through it and sprinkling a little new stuff in there occasionally (like it or not, the Wii [blank] stuff was a new franchise for them). They're somewhat forced to play it safe with new IP and innovate within what they have. On the surface that may look stale but the end products are still varied and fresh.

The reason you see Sony go all out on new IP all over the place is that they never had strong franchises to begin with so they have nothing to lose in that regard. They don't have a core internal software studio that is involved in how the hardware turns out, for example. They have their Japan Studio and some other developers that they own but that's it. Their first party identity is that they have various experiments of stuff you've never heard or seen before and they try and see what sticks.

Here's an interesting question - what if the default Wii U's were all white - but you could pay $20 more for a different color (such as black or red). No other difference in the system, just color. Would you pay?

jmizzal

While I love Nintendo IP's, they are losing the battle of creating new ones that appeal to mainstream gamers. Reviving old ones like Kid Icarus is great, how about Ice Climbers and new ones?

Yea with Wii they did have a lot of new IP's but they didnt create many that appeals to western mainstream gamers. Most of the new IP's were more Japanese type games, The Last Story and Xenoblade.

Then even with Metroid they went Japanses Other M, then one new IP that they did make for the US gamer Disaster Day of Crisis, they didnt even bring it over which makes no sense.

With WiiU they need more new ips that can appeal to western gamers too, thats what I hope Retro is doing, and get somebody like Next Level Games to do Wave Race or F-Zero.

No way. Has nintendo ever done this before?

The closest they've come to my knowledge is release special collector's edition things (like the Famicom Gameboy Micro) for extra money. But it's something that just came to my mind, people are always complaining about system colors, how they don't have the colors they want. Well, what if you could have the color you want, but for an extra $20?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For most issues of creative bankruptcy I put the blame squarely on publishers, not the developers/creative minds working on a project. The people only interested in ballooning revenue and appeasing shareholders are the ones focus testing projects into the ground and forcing studios to play it safe.
I'd say devs, publishers and customers equally share the blame. Why? They all wanted photorealism.

The thing is, when striving for realism in realtime it's much easier to achieve believable specular components than it's to get equally believable diffuse - you really need a decent approximation of global illumination to get proper diffuse. So what did devs do? Yes, they bestowed upon us 'the shiny shine'.

Things will be better this gen, but still, as consumers, we get to be careful what we wish for.

Terrell

Not quite. There's just a question of who owns the IP. It's likely Namco, which complicates things, but that doesn't kill any chance for another installment. It's also a very dear franchise to Honne and Koh Kojima, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something from it eventually, if a digital release of the first two or something on the 3DS.

But yes, whatever they're working on now for the Wii U is not a Baten Kaitos game.

Nintendo and Bandai Namco could have a Fatal Frame situation of co-ownership of the IP, as well. We can never really know for sure.

I haven't seen much of the game, but after Revelations I just assumed RE6 would be awesome. I'll wait until the game is out before judging it, though from what I've heard they've shown a lot of it, so maybe the naysayers are right.

I'll quote Checkpoint on this one: "Resident Evil 6 will feature a supplementary stat-tracking service called ResidentEvil.net, just like Battlefield, Call of Duty and Halo, other survival horror games."

I think it also contains chest-high walls at some point and has overpowered melee combat. Cuz that makes sense in a game about zombies and parasitic entities... WEAPON-FREE MELEE.

The Leon sections appear to be a bit better, as expected, but.... yeah...

IF the Wii U does manage to launch at $249 with a Wii U Pad included a full two years before the competitors. It will succeed among casual gamers atleast. More so, they can get the price below $199 before the 720 or PS4 launch.

Anything higher than $249 and I don't see it appealing to the same casuals that the Wii appealed to.

Some people paid DOUBLE that for a Wii in 2006.

D-e-f-

Banned
Should be a criminal act NOT doing a Fatal Frame 5 for Wii U considering the GamePad (Camera).

That's probably the sole reason they snatched that up :)

They looked around, sitting on top of Mt. Money and saw Fatal Frame and thought "OH SHIT, DUDE! It's the camera!!! The GamePad literally is the camera!!! Wohooo!"

I think Zombie U will show Capcom how a resident evil might be done on the Wii U. Imagine puzzle solving in real time as zombies are at the door using the tablet as a second game screen to solve puzzles on the fly while teeing off on some undead.

This ^^

I've been waiting for what seems like forever for a proper survival horror game rather than these action horror games that are in vogue these days. Resident Evil Revelations was a step in the right direction but there was still too many resources like ammo and herbs etc available so it wasn't enough of a challenge for me personally until you complete it and unlock Hell difficulty.

jmizzal

We havent heard anything about Madden 13 WiiU since the EA sports event, it would be cool if they announded a WiiU pad bundle with it at launch, and announce they game supporting two pads on the 13th.

But i'm not expecting that until next year

Bumhead

Banned
Here's an interesting question - what if the default Wii U's were all white - but you could pay $20 more for a different color (such as black or red). No other difference in the system, just color. Would you pay?

If the black was matte, then yes.

As it is I'm going white either way.

Terrell

Could say the same thing about Metroid Prime with the GamePad acting as a visor

Do you hold a visor in your hands exactly like you would with a large old-fashioned camera?

The physicality of how you would use the Gamepad is a direct match to how one would use a camera: point, view, press a button to take the photo.

It's really nowhere near the same situation.

D-e-f-

Banned
Could say the same thing about Metroid Prime with the GamePad acting as a visor

That on the other hand could be a bit more problematic since Metroid has a lot more action elements than something like Fatal Frame. You'd have to use the visor only for scanning the environment and not so much for enemy scanning during battles like in Prime. It works but not it's not as obvious as the camera mechanic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do you hold a visor in your hands exactly like you would with a large old-fashioned camera?

The physicality of how you would use the Gamepad is a direct match to how one would use a camera: point, view, press a button to take the photo.

It's really nowhere near the same situation.

Can you touch the screen on a large old-fashioned camera?

We havent heard anything about Madden 13 WiiU since the EA sports event, it would be cool if they announded a WiiU pad bundle with it at launch, and announce they game supporting two pads on the 13th.

But i'm not expecting that until next year

There's really not much else for them to say about it after they talked about all of its missing features. It's missing the physics system (13's biggest selling point), online team play and Madden Ultimate Team.

PhantomR

Banned
There's really not much else for them to say about it after they talked about all of its missing features. It's missing the physics system (13's biggest selling point), online team play and Madden Ultimate Team.

Yeah...Wii U Madden 13 = Fail

Now, Wii U FIFA 13 on the other hand = Freaking awesome win. THAT's the version of the game to get this year. No doubt.

Terrell

Can you touch the screen on a large old-fashioned camera?

Now you're just being obtuse. The point was that, much in the way the Wii let you approximate actions like tennis swings and such, there is a nearly-direct relation to the physical act of photography, not that it was exactly like a camera. The same can not be said of using the Gamepad to act as a visor. It's the same reason people think it's a perfect fit for Pokemon Snap.

Now, Wii U FIFA 13 on the other hand = Freaking awesome win. THAT's the version of the game to get this year. No doubt.

Even as a huge NFL fan (Chicago Bears FTW) I can agree with this statement Madden 13 is so full of fail it should be illegal.

Fifa on the on the other hand I may actually pick up....

japtor

I'm with you on that, the Ninja mode will now make every piece of new information discussed about, and build hype until the console launches in few weeks. Had we known everything to know in June, the hype may have died down.
Case in point, how bout that Microsoft Surface tablet?
[...a few months later...]
Hey new Kindle Fires! And an iPad mini!
Some people paid DOUBLE that for a Wii in 2006.
Yeah pricing logic goes out the window if demand outstrips supply. Doesn't necessarily mean that'll be the case this time though.
Even as a huge NFL fan (Chicago Bears FTW) I can agree with this statement Madden 13 is so full of fail it should be illegal.

Fifa on the on the other hand I may actually pick up....
FIFA "12.5"?

D-e-f-

Banned
I just want a wii u fallout with the gamepad screen being your pipboy

Collector's Edition comes with a wristband that you can attach to the controller so you can wear the GamePad on your arm as a real Pip-Boy ... also comes with a Pip-Boy-styled cover like that Scribblenauts rooster hat :)

jerd

IF the Wii U does manage to launch at $249 with a Wii U Pad included a full two years before the competitors. It will succeed among casual gamers atleast. More so, they can get the price below $199 before the 720 or PS4 launch.

Anything higher than $249 and I don't see it appealing to the same casuals that the Wii appealed to.

I think my issue with this logic is the casuals you are talking about are a lot of the same people who spend $500 on a new iPad every 1-2 years, as well as $200 on their iPhone every 2 years. If a product appeals to people, it should sell well.

jmizzal

Its much better then launch Xbox 360 Madden

People only focus on the missing stuff which isnt that big of a deal to me, it has a lot of added stuff.

The game is coming almost 3 months after the other versions, so I doubt people who really needed those modes would be waiting for the WiiU version.

I have seen plenty of hardcore Madden fans complaining about Madden 13 on Xbox and PS3 so those are not some perfect games.

Sheroking

I think my issue with this logic is the casuals you are talking about are a lot of the same people who spend $500 on a new iPad every 1-2 years, as well as $200 on their iPhone every 2 years. If a product appeals to people, it should sell well.

Smartphones are pretty much necessities at this stage to a lot of people. Game consoles will never be that.

D-e-f-

Banned

Honestly, I don't think this mystery "casual" consumer who buys a Wii, an iPhone and iPad does exist. I'd be really interested in seeing how many of those people actually own multiple tech devices and didn't just buy a Wii because they wanted to play Guitar Hero, Bowling and Tennis on family nights or even got one as a present by younger family members.

Roo

I just hope all the first party titles have AA
I just can't stand fucking jaggies >.<
not ultra high quality textures, not 500k polygons models and not dinamic lighting
just use AA!!

PhantomR

Banned
So, why is the FIFA port better? It lacks the new AI system and Ultimate Team as well..

It's keeping the same physics engine though, so that's not that huge of a deal, and the gamepad features of the game are just awesome. Manager mode right from the Gamepad, being able to do substitutions and check fatigue without having to pause the game, using the gamepad for aiming on set pieces, being able to change formations in game on the gamepad with no interruption in play?

Yes. Awesome.

boyshine

It's keeping the same physics engine though, so that's not that huge of a deal, and the gamepad features of the game are just awesome. Manager mode right from the Gamepad, being able to do substitutions and check fatigue without having to pause the game, using the gamepad for aiming on set pieces, being able to change formations in game on the gamepad with no interruption in play?

Yes. Awesome.

Madden 13 doesn't use the GamePad screen/features?

Gaborn

You know, it strikes me that even aside from the launch details/price there is sooooooooo much we don't know. For example, Nintendo hasn't officially shown ANY of the NFC functionality (aside from announcing it a while ago). We saw it of course in that first leaked Rayman trailer but NOTHING since and of course that wasn't "official." It just feels like there is so much to show about the system and the games, so many questions we still have!

I have not followed the Madden U updates, what's fail about it?

It's not really "fail", what people are complaining about, is that in the XBox 360 and PS3 versions of Madden 13, new features were added that were not in the Wii U version. The Wii U version is basically Madden 12 with a whole slew of touchscreen additions. Which is a damn site better than what happened with the first Madden game of the last generation on XBox 360, which actually lost modes from the previous year.

Hiltz

You know, it strikes me that even aside from the launch details/price there is sooooooooo much we don't know. For example, Nintendo hasn't officially shown ANY of the NFC functionality (aside from announcing it a while ago). We saw it of course in that first leaked Rayman trailer but NOTHING since and of course that wasn't "official." It just feels like there is so much to show about the system and the games, so many questions we still have!

Nintendo sure has a lot of explaining left to do. Heck, we don't even know if the virtual console will be coming back with weekly new downloads. We want our Yoshi's Island!

I specifically disagree with this part:

Word is that development of Wii U port of the game won't be starting until after the PS3/360 version is done. That's nice for the people who want the game but are in no rush to play it, who also plan to buy a Wii U, but never intend to own a PS3/360. Just how many people like that are there on the planet? Twenty five? Thirty?

Wrong Destructoid. There is probably at least 80 people on the world that want to play Bioshock Infinite but never intend to own a PS3/360.

Madden 13 doesn't use the GamePad screen/features?

It has UPad features, but the physics engine is 13's biggest selling point. It adds a lot to the gameplay when angles, speed etc. are all taken into account when someone tries to tackle a player. Older Madden games just had canned tackle animations, which would lead to a lot of questionable tackles.

It has UPad features, but the physics engine is 13's biggest selling point. It adds a lot to the gameplay when angles, speed etc. are all taken into account when someone tries to tackle a player. Older Madden games just had canned tackle animations, which would lead to a lot of questionable tackles.
Its a selling point but its not all thats its hyped up to be. Angles and speed still mean nothing and there are plentiful canned animations. If I played this years madden without EA telling me there was real time physics I wouldnt even know it was in the game. Dont let EA fool you please.

RedSwirl

Smartphones are pretty much necessities at this stage to a lot of people. Game consoles will never be that.

That's why Microsoft is trying to turn Xbox into a media set-top box, to try to turn the console gaming machine into a household necessity, or at least get that broad functionality into the living room before Apple does.

Its a selling point but its not all thats its hyped up to be. Angles and speed still mean nothing and there are plentiful canned animations. If I played this years madden without EA telling me there was real time physics I wouldnt even know it was in the game. Dont let EA fool you please.

Sure it isn't perfect, but it is a noticeable upgrade over their old model. As Dreamwriter pointed out, Madden 13 for the Wii U is basically Madden 12 with Upad features and updated rosters, but you can be sure that they're going to charge full price for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom